• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Shoeless

Finally bought VR Worlds and Until Dawn. Worlds has been the social must have I always thought it would be.

VR Worlds was definitely worth it at the sale price, and I'm glad I waited for it. London Heist and Scavenger Odyssey feel pretty well developed, but Luge and the head ball game are pretty small, and Ocean Descent is basically just an appetizer that you use for people who are new to VR.

It was definitely a good idea to pack it in with the full bundles, but a bit pricey otherwise.

ChouGoku

After beating AS with the Aim I tried playing with the Moves. Yeah, this game seems better with the moves, it seems much more interactive. Dual wielding is fun, using motion controls to open things is much better. I don't even mind teleportation and this game is making me think I might have to teleport, dual spell in Skyrim from time to time. The only thing that is worse so far is my aiming. Using both hands to aim + gun shape of Aim >>>>>>> moves in terms of accuracy for me. I thought this game had an auto aim mechanic, I was getting so many headshots and I wasn't even ADS. With the moves it can take a clip to kill 1 zombie

BlackAlbatross

Neo Member
How about Eagle Flight? Is it worth 25€? Is the multiplayer still a bit alive?

I seem to remember it was kinda popular when it released, but now I don't see anyone mentioning it anymore.

MattAces

I do think also some press a negative tone for vr for no reason. Yeah the price is high, that sucks, but with what you are getting it's understandable. But what I hated were those complaining during e3 about all the vr talk. Many complained about games being talked about in press conferences. I was like "why?" We wanted to see vr supported right, so why was there so much negativity to it? I was overjoyed seeing so much good news about vr. But some just ignore it. And don't get me started about the negativity on skyrim vr. I know I know, everyone wants a new elders scrolls, but come on, it's vr skyrim, how can you hate that?

And this is the most outrageous thing yet, especially in Gaf. VR content is not enough, VR game is not there yet, all short tech demo.
They dedicate 10 minutes to VR games announcement, many people were like, well toilet break. Completely ignoring the existence for these games. Next VR thread? Complain the same thing.

How about Eagle Flight? Is it worth 25€? Is the multiplayer still a bit alive?

I seem to remember it was kinda popular when it released, but now I don't see anyone mentioning it anymore.

I really like Eagle Flight. Many people disliked the anti-motion sickness filter but it didn't bug me at all. There's quite a huge amount of content in the game, free roaming collecting stuff is also fun, beautiful graphics and no motion sickness. MP is cross platform but dead since day one. I'm in Asia region server and never get to play MP at all.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Guys, I've come full circle on Arizona Sunshine. With the Aim it's a sublime experience. Now, hear me out. I just beat the
Trailer park
level.

Okay, it's simple. It's silly. It's pretty dumb, and the story isn't very in-depth.

All that said, the excellent voice acting on the player character sincerely has me invested in whatever goofy bullshit they're peddling here. He seems to get genuine desperation across very well. I've heard countless people remark on the shitty voice acting, but I come away impressed.

The gameplay, despite the occasional bugs and need to reorient your controller, focuses on doing a few things really well.

Would I recommend it at $40? Yes, with an if. If you've got an Aim run, don't walk, to PSN and buy a copy.

If you ever find it on sale for $30, even if you'll just use Moves, go for it.

This game is full of really memorable set pieces. What a terrific ride it's been so far. I think I'm nearing the end, and I'll be sad and satisfied. Definitely I'll be replaying this.

Zombie fans, this one's for you.

MattAces

Just finished
cave
area and reached the
warehouse area

I can really say this is the most diverse game on PSVR now. Not just dark, spooky zombie shooter, the game has so many different places with indoors it's crazy. The game just felt complete (well maybe not polished). What you are doing is more or less the same so far, find this, unlock path, horde comes, kill it and continue, but the different environment is the best thing ever in this game. There's really no VR game on PSVR that has manage to capture life-like places as good as AS. This is really shooting up on my list to be one of my favorite VR experience with PS Move.

Farpoint did space stuff, empty planet surface very well. Dick Wilde, Eagle flight covered the cartoony area of immersive VR. But we didn't have a life-like open places until AS. RE7 is great and all but you are in the house and corridors most of the time, the feeling of openness and day light is what shines in AS.

MattAces

I'm not sure if
cave
and
warehouse
can be considered spoilers in a first person shooter :p

Haha that's true. First one was shown in the trailer, but the second location was a big surprise to me when I got there. Funny enough that was the actual reason that blew my mind. It's really crazy to be INSIDE of a classic fps game location. It felt familiar even though I haven't been to one.

gmoran

Guys, I've come full circle on Arizona Sunshine. With the Aim it's a sublime experience. Now, hear me out. I just beat the
Trailer park
level.

Okay, it's simple. It's silly. It's pretty dumb, and the story isn't very in-depth.

All that said, the excellent voice acting on the player character sincerely has me invested in whatever goofy bullshit they're peddling here. He seems to get genuine desperation across very well. I've heard countless people remark on the shitty voice acting, but I come away impressed.

The gameplay, despite the occasional bugs and need to reorient your controller, focuses on doing a few things really well.

Would I recommend it at $40? Yes, with an if. If you've got an Aim run, don't walk, to PSN and buy a copy.

If you ever find it on sale for $30, even if you'll just use Moves, go for it.

This game is full of really memorable set pieces. What a terrific ride it's been so far. I think I'm nearing the end, and I'll be sad and satisfied. Definitely I'll be replaying this.

Zombie fans, this one's for you.

Yeah I agree—with the Aim.

So you get to a section and see a few Freddies milling about, so you get your assault rifle up and start head-shotting the closer ones, you hear a sound off behind you to the right and turn you head and see another Freddy so you puff a few rounds in the chest in somewhat of a panic, turn front again and realise a couple are now getting closer than comfort allows and you go to fire off and realise your clip is empty, so you eject and headshot them—trying to maintain your composure—you then move forward and again start thinning the ranks when you notice a commotion to your left and realise a horde is coming your way ...

It has a feeling of "this is what it would be like", it sort of mimics moments you've seen in the walking dead, how you methodically search areas while always swivelling your head, and checking your back: and it forces you into that stand your ground and methodically head shot them while listening out for empty clips: descending into run, regroup and shotgun mode when it unravels.

And I suspect its the Aim that elevates it to that feeling.

Hilarious gaming session with friends in VR. We played Star Trek Bridge Crew and hijinks ensued.

As long time "Trek Fans" we went in without any tutorials. We used only our Star Trek LORE and GUMPTION to take on all challenge. We had guts and no training.

Since our mad Captain decided to blow up a derelict ship (which had a warp core engine inside) in close range without raising our shields... our Hull was nearly totaled (8% remaining health) from the BEGINNING of the mission.

This naturally made the hijinks worse because after that we couldn't do anything without leaving shields up all the time at a high level. We couldn't even fly quickly with all the power going to shields.

We surprisingly fell into role playing:
"Tactical target the ship on the left."
"Engineering reallocate to phasers and shields... minimize engine"
"Helm thread the needle between the two at 800 units"
"Captain I see 4 anomalies in that direction. I suggest we try to get around far left?"

I don't think this game works well ALONE. I think you need to play with other people you know to get the party atmosphere going.

After watching a few mins of a stream of Arizona Sunshine co-op I understand why there were a lot of complaints about it, those animations really need some work.

Will certainly pick the game up, just want to play some other games before it though.

MattAces

After watching a few mins of a stream of Arizona Sunshine co-op I understand why there were a lot of complaints about it, those animations really need some work.

Will certainly pick the game up, just want to play some other games before it though.

You mean like other player's animation? It's just as bad as any other co-op VR title with full body animation. Farpoint is also pretty bad. As for the funny movement where the character kind of warps around and the leg teleports there, pretty sure that's a bug or network problem, no way that was the intended animation.

The only game that did full body animation and looks crazy good is SPARC, at least from the trailer. Really curious how they did it, or that was just a tech demo with full body tracking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZGI32Q9V5c
https://youtu.be/Z8VaPDHKgtA?t=19s

Grinchy

Banned
Mervils is definitely really cool. Platformers play so perfectly in VR. The typical cartoony style translates perfectly in a visual way, but also the way you can better judge depth helps improve the gameplay even.

The presentation can be a little off with the story dialog and the voice actors. I can't shake the feeling that they just let some of their own employees record the lines. But that's really not important. It's a fun little game so far after a few levels.

I'm most comfortable with smooth turning and maximum camera rotation speed, which is no surprise because that's pretty much the setting I use in every game.

The Dude

Mervils is definitely really cool. Platformers play so perfectly in VR. The typical cartoony style translates perfectly in a visual way, but also the way you can better judge depth helps improve the gameplay even.

The presentation can be a little off with the story dialog and the voice actors. I can't shake the feeling that they just let some of their own employees record the lines. But that's really not important. It's a fun little game so far after a few levels.

I'm most comfortable with smooth turning and maximum camera rotation speed, which is no surprise because that's pretty much the setting I use in every game.

Glad you dig it. Yea I just didn't really think platformers would look so cool and I love how that looks, just Made me more excited for future games with similar formulas.

The Dude

I need a nice bowling game with leader boards, online play etc... Even if it didn't have online I'd be ok, but mayhem leagues and price it at 19.99 or 29.99, instant buy for me. I can't imagine it'd be hard to make but would really give off that bowling feel.

bumpkin

I need a nice bowling game with leader boards, online play etc... Even if it didn't have online I'd be ok, but mayhem leagues and price it at 19.99 or 29.99, instant buy for me. I can't imagine it'd be hard to make but would really give off that bowling feel.
I'd be down for it too if it existed. I had ridiculous amounts of fun with Wii Bowling, and the PS Move controllers are more than capable of providing the same motion fidelity for a PSVR game.

The game I'm debating picking up now is Chess Ultra. I used to play chess every day during study hall in high school. I've long since forgotten how to play, but it looks and sounds like it's a very cool representation of the game. I'm especially intrigued by being able to play a game against the grim reaper!

kinggroin

Banned

Not bowling, but I highly recommend Sports Bar

The Dude

I'd be down for it too if it existed. I had ridiculous amounts of fun with Wii Bowling, and the PS Move controllers are more than capable of providing the same motion fidelity for a PSVR game.

The game I'm debating picking up now is Chess Ultra. I used to play chess every day during study hall in high school. I've long since forgotten how to play, but it looks and sounds like it's a very cool representation of the game. I'm especially intrigued by being able to play a game against the grim reaper!

Yea I'm intrigued by chess as well as I used to play but I know I'd never put the time in to really become good these days so I'll ultimately probably pass. And same, loved Wii bowling big time.

Not bowling, but I highly recommend Sports Bar

I'll check it out for sure. Is hustle kings any good?

MattAces

So apparently AS was pulled from the UK, NL, and Australian PSN stores. Interesting development.

Waiting comments from the dev, whether it was pulled from them or Sony. Because if it was from Sony, they probably have to fix it as soon as possible.

Finally bought VR Worlds and Until Dawn. Worlds has been the social must have I always thought it would be.

VR Worlds was abit expensive at full price but at current discounted price, definitely worth it.

Ocean Descent is a good showpiece for the VR/gaming virgins as it requires no controllers and is just an experience.

London Heist is definitely a very cool proof on concept and experience in terms of 'being in the heart of action' for VR...

Personally though, i am not that fond of Scavenger Odyssey. It's the only one of 2 games (the other being RIGS) that gave me extreme motion sickness.

The Dude

VR Worlds was abit expensive at full price but at current discounted price, definitely worth it.

Ocean Descent is a good showpiece for the VR/gaming virgins as it requires no controllers and is just an experience.

London Heist is definitely a very cool proof on concept and experience in terms of 'being in the heart of action' for VR...

Personally though, i am not that fond of Scavenger Odyssey. It's the only one of 2 games (the other being RIGS) that gave me extreme motion sickness.

Scavenger amazingly didn't crush me for sickness, which is a great sign.. I think it's cool as hell but I definitely at the moment couldn't play it prolonged like other titles. But man it felt bad ass as hell.

I'm curious, how does everyone store their PSVR?

meant to reply to this earlier but forgot to take a photo,
psvrhead.jpg

Terminator Salvation bluray box set is actually the perfect size, it's on the top of my shelf so i just pull the cable and it's very neat and easy to plug back in for a couple quick games.

Yesterday I gave my first summer lessons to Hikari and loved it. This game is amazing, you just feel like you're sitting in the room next to Hikari. For example when she passes you, you move your legs to make some space for her.
On the other hand, you feel like a little creep, when you ogle her with your eyes, or when she sits right next to you, you feel that it is unapropriate. But the comedy from some situations is hillarious. Definitely gonna platinum this game.
3AQmK.gif

ranmafan

Yesterday I gave my first summer lessons to Hikari and loved it. This game is amazing, you just feel like you're sitting in the room next to Hikari. For example when she passes you, you move your legs to make some space for her.
On the other hand, you feel like a little creep, when you ogle her with your eyes, or when she sits right next to you, you feel that it is unapropriate. But the comedy from some situations is hillarious. Definitely gonna platinum this game.
3AQmK.gif

Wait I thought there was no platinum to the game, at least not on the Japanese one for sure. Did the English release get one? One things for sure, getting all the trophies takes a long time. I still haven't done it, but I want to try and get the rest I'm missing sometime.

Wait I thought there was no platinum to the game, at least not on the Japanese one for sure. Did the English release get one? One things for sure, getting all the trophies takes a long time. I still haven't done it, but I want to try and get the rest I'm missing sometime.

Oh okay, haven't looked for the platinum trophy. Just wondered if this game has no trophies, because if you get a trophy it won't show in the game itself but I have already earned a shitload of it just by the two playthroughs yesterday.

If there's no platinum, then I try at least 100% completition, but as soon as I get home this evening I will look if there is one in the english release.
What's annoying is, that the japanese version has no english subtitles, I had to learn it the expensive way :-(

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's interesting seeing people get in or get out of the PSVR game. I went from simply being interested in it because it was "the new thing" and getting a preorder, to backing out of my preorder because I was worried if it'd be worth it or not, to buying a Core Bundle on impulse after getting to try the demo at a local Best Buy, to having doubts about keeping it when I was setting it all up (the litany of cords and equipment), to absolutely loving it and wanting to show it to every friend/family member I can.

Being close to 8 months out from release, I'm glad I kept it. I had an absolute blast with PSVR Worlds (criminally underrated IMHO), Playroom VR, Rush of Blood, Batman: Arkham VR, Robinson, Wayward Sky, Resident Evil 7, DiRT Rally, and most recently Farpoint. I'm just eager for there to be more full-fledged games for it!

My only regret is not having a PS4 Pro to play on it as I understand the IQ is markedly better, but I love my particular limited edition PS4 and would hate to retire it for something generic.

There's a whole world of repaints and skins.
Like this cover made of wood. You can choose from a variety of woods and have the top laser-engraved with any design you want.
Someone made a batch of 25 of this retro-style custom PS4 Pro.

Superhot VR and Superhot + VR bundle are going on preorder today in the EU/UK (potentially with a discount).

Oh yeah and Resident Evil 7 is on sale on EU/UK PSN.

ranmafan

Oh okay, haven't looked for the platinum trophy. Just wondered if this game has no trophies, because if you get a trophy it won't show in the game itself but I have already earned a shitload of it just by the two playthroughs yesterday.

If there's no platinum, then I try at least 100% completition, but as soon as I get home this evening I will look if there is one in the english release.
What's annoying is, that the japanese version has no english subtitles, I had to learn it the expensive way :-(

Well remember trophies don't show up while playing in vr for all vr games but you will hear the trophy sound saying you got one. The game has a ton of trophies and some are pretty frustrating to get cause you have to keep doing things over and over again to get them. And when you run out of items that start specia events you have to earn those events the hard way. Still it is an interesting title. Kinda wanna try out the new version sometime in the future too

excited for Superhot. it's a short game right? good if so, means i'll actually have time to see most or all it has to offer.

last night i tried:

COD: Jackal Assault - good god... dizziness galore. i went into the credits screen first expecting nothing special and suddenly i'm floating a hundred miles above Italy, freaked me the fuck out! nicely done devs. and that moment when you launched into space, damn that got my adrenaline going. i love this stuff, even if i sucked with the combat and it got me dizzy. i would have preferred to just fly around in peace heh. it looked gorgeous and felt amazing.

Rez Infinite — only played for 20-30mins but it seemed about what i expected, really trippy and an assault on the senses (not over-the-top though which is good). awesome gameplay in VR too, at first i didn't even realize i could also aim with my head and not just the analog stick. cool stuff, will dig in more properly tonight. really want to unlock that Area X people have raved about. btw is the game better with Moves? i'm thinking probably not.

London Heist - well fuck me.. this was about 50 times more impressive than i thought it would be. when it was first demoed i thought it seemed like trash and proof of how lame VR is. how goddamm wrong was i, this was AMAZINGLY fun! loved interacting with the objects like lighting my own cigar (and blowing smoke of course), loved the voice acting, the chase, the slow mos (holy crap does slow mo work in VR or what, more please!). i had some issues with aiming during the shootouts and enemies seemed a bit too spongy but it still worked and felt incredible (ducking down in a panic on my couch etc lol). and damn it was intimidating having that crazy thug get literally all up in my face.. this character that feels life size threatening me etc while i'm strapped helpless in a chair, it felt so intense at times. i was in awe.

Top Bottom