• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

I can guarantee you that one of the first builds they had wasnt static, was a long time before Superhot was released too, so it probably was a different build altogether. I think it was at gamescom 2014.

Edit: Yeah, it was 2014. I played that first part, where you move down the corridor in this trailer in VR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBSDkr9cK-4

Guess they decided to make it static all together. Walking and camera panning is still a huge motion sickness problem in VR.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Guess they decided to make it static all together. Walking and camera panning is still a huge motion sickness problem in VR.

Yeah, I guess thats the reasoning, but still unfortunate as SuperHot VR was actually one of the few motion games that didnt give me MS. Oh well.

KalBalboa

Banned
More titles need to adopt the Resident Evil 7 mobility options.

15 degree snap turning on the right stick allowed me to play that game for 12 hours with zero motion sickness issues.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well started downloading the games

Went to PS Store and went into PSVR tab for first time, DAMN! We have that many games?

Holy Shit!

Started with Free tab and will download demos and apps and apparently a Beta of some sorts
Headset arrives tomorrow, just DL everything tonight and wait for the postman

What should I try first?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Went to PS Store and went into PSVR tab for first time, DAMN! We have that many games?

Holy Shit!

Started with Free tab and will download demos and apps and apparently a Beta of some sorts

What should I try first?

Go through PS Worlds.

Then the Battlefront X Wing mission.

Then Resident Evil 7.

Then Farpoint.

Holy Shit!

What should I try first?
VR Worlds first.

Rez, Thumper, Batman are all incredibly solid.

BTails

My first PSVR experience was the Kitchen demo. While not the sharpest looking resolution wise, it absolutely sold me on the immersiveness of VR. Plus, it's only a couple minutes long, and made me itch to play more. This was prior to RE7 releasing, so it was a long wait :(

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
OK VR Worlds and Battlefront

Have to hold off Farpoint till Black Friday (hoping Bundle gets a drop in price, not in a rush to grab it)

RE6 I'll hold off too, will eventually get to it

Rez... maybe?

Batman I think my bro might be getting me it

bumpkin

My first PSVR experience was the Kitchen demo. While not the sharpest looking resolution wise, it absolutely sold me on the immersiveness of VR. Plus, it's only a couple minutes long, and made me itch to play more. This was prior to RE7 releasing, so it was a long wait :(
The graphical quality and sense of immersion in the Beginning Hour demo blows Kitchen out of the water. I was so happy that they dramatically upped the quality for the final game, I was admittedly very worried it was going to look like shit in VR.

Gosh, I'm dying to play Dino Frontier now :(

Also for anybody who missed these video impression on the game from Easy Allies:
https://youtu.be/HgONHm1_tsE?t=2h5m48s
https://youtu.be/a29GzrGxfRs?t=42s

Anyway any tips and tricks to obtain a PS+ trial for the discount? Wasted that 2 day trial previously on a $2 discount. Superhot VR preorder for PS+ saves up to $5.
Do games sometimes come with a Plus trial card/slip like Xbox 360 and One games? I can thumb through my game cases tonight and see if any of them have such a code inside.

MattAces

Do games sometimes come with a Plus trial card/slip like Xbox 360 and One games? I can thumb through my game cases tonight and see if any of them have such a code inside.

I might be out of luck with that 2 days trial activation since they usually only allow one trial to be activated. Oh well, was planning on paying $25. Appreciate it anyway.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I called Sony the last time this happened and they said to check my information, re-enter it, and then wait 2 days before trying again.

I'll do that again but if it fails I guess I just need to buy codes through Amazon. Ridiculous.

I exclusively get codes through Amazon now. It's super stupid. It feels as if Amazon is paying Sony to make this happen. I know that's a dumb theory, but it's the only thing I got. :p

MattAces

I exclusively get codes through Amazon now. It's super stupid. It feels as if Amazon is paying Sony to make this happen. I know that's a dumb theory, but it's the only thing I got. :p

Buying wallet code IS my only option to get VR games. It's the dumbest thing ever. Developers just flat out gave up releasing VR games in Asia. Can't blame them too with how small the market is around here. PSVR is the only high-end headset available here with official retailers selling at suggested RRP. Rift/Vive doesn't ship here and the only option is to import one. Rift will be around $1k without shipping.

Fortunately I've been getting PSN $50 wallet code at around $43, legal and legit source from my local seller. Apparently for those distributor, the larger amount of PSN wallet code they are sourcing, the more discount they will get, allowing them to sell at a lower cost. Therefore the constant sale from PayPal and stuff.

It's been coming "soon" since March. Nice to see the progression to "very soon"

I think they confirmed it for a summer release in some articles this month which is probably August imo.

I think amazon Fucked Up my codes in a good way...

They sent me 2 codes

Used the first code, got all 3 Games as a bundle within that 1 code
Confused as to what the other code was, input it, same goddamn bundle...

So they gave me 2!

And you where worried you wouldn't get your games ;)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Is it true Superhot only has a couple hours of content?

MattAces

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yes. Not counting replayability of course. Expect a max of 2~3 hours.

I have to admit: This is killing my interest in PSVR. I'm so tired of these short "experiences."

I can guarantee you that one of the first builds they had wasnt static, was a long time before Superhot was released too, so it probably was a different build altogether. I think it was at gamescom 2014.

Edit: Yeah, it was 2014. I played that first part, where you move down the corridor in this trailer in VR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBSDkr9cK-4

Anyway, going to pick up Superhot VR as Superhot is bonkers good, but thats a bit of a bummer, considering how amazing that demo was.

I wish they stuck with that.

I have to admit: This is killing my interest in PSVR. I'm so tired of these short "experiences."

It doesn't trouble me as long as the price reflects the amount of content.

I'd rather buy 4 x 3 hour games at £15 each (with the variety of gameplay styles that can offer) than a padded out 12 hour £60 game that outstays its welcome.

MattAces

I mean, even the standard version is the same, around 1~2 hours. People are just forgetting that most of the indie games on non-vr are also around 3~5 hours for $15 or $20. Those longer games are usually rogue-like.

ISee

Would Farpoint work with one PS move and one "kind of move, but with an analoge stick instead of the ball" controller? My PS4 recognizes both of them and I can navigate through the OS with the second one without problems. Don't want to play through the game with a DS4, but also don't want to spend money on the gun controller.

20170712_201826kpxq9.jpg

MattAces

Would Farpoint work with one PS move and one "kind of move, but with an analoge stick instead of the ball" controller? My PS4 recognizes both of them and I can navigate through the OS with the second one without problems.

Unfortunately no. Farpoint will only support DS4 or Aim. It requires 2 analog stick to work properly.

Edit : It sucks that you have to buy another peripheral, but as soon as you get your hands on with Aim controller, you won't be complaining on the price.

MattAces

PSMove is really a no brainer at this point, more than half of the VR games are supporting it. But I've been seeing quite a lot of concern on Aim controller being supported. Needless to say, there are already around 10 confirmed games supporting it.

Farpoint
Dick Wilde
Special Delivery
Arizona Sunshine
Brookhaven Experiment

Honor and Duty: VR patch
Special Forces VR
Bravo Team
Dimension Hunter
Rom: Extraction
Demon Grade
DWVR

Kaako

Felium Defensor
OK VR Worlds and Battlefront

Have to hold off Farpoint till Black Friday (hoping Bundle gets a drop in price, not in a rush to grab it)

RE6 I'll hold off too, will eventually get to it

Rez... maybe?

Batman I think my bro might be getting me it
Highly recommend Rez Infinite as well! Rez in VR is straight up audio-visual sex for me. Area X...lawwd have mercy. Worth the VR experience, for sure.

That's the second retailer I've heard about that's re-started taking Farpoint + Aim bundle pre-orders today. Hopefully that means stock allocations are happening.

PSMove is really a no brainer at this point, more than half of the VR games are supporting it. But I've been seeing quite a lot of concern on Aim controller being supported. Needless to say, there are already around 10 confirmed games supporting it.

Farpoint
Dick Wilde
Special Delivery
Arizona Sunshine
Brookhaven Experiment

Honor and Duty: VR patch
Special Forces VR
Bravo Team
Dimension Hunter
Rom: Extraction
Demon Grade
DWVR

Driving me insane , I want to spend money on Farpoint...but I want the aim and I cannot find one anywhere, come on Sony.

mattmanp

I mean, even the standard version is the same, around 1~2 hours. People are just forgetting that most of the indie games on non-vr are also around 3~5 hours for $15 or $20. Those longer games are usually rogue-like.

This post reminds me how much I'd love a good roguelike in VR. Battlezone is closest we have, and it's great.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I know I'd probably get some shit for saying this in any other thread but Farpoint may have one of the best stories I've played through. Great acting, great writing. Maybe I'm a sucker for this type of story, but the bundle is one of gaming's great values in my opinion. Cool peripheral and great game for $80.

Sweetness.

My alt game right now is Brookhaven. Continues to be hard as shit with the darkness 😫

yay i got tracking working in Batman VR by adjusting my camera to point down just a bit more..

and umm HOLY SHIT this game is cool. just oozes awesomeness. i only got suited up and lowered to the batcave but i'm 100% convinced already, and i'm not even a big Batman fan.

i LOVE how it looks and feels, just so damn cool messing around with the gadgets. so perfectly intuitive grabbing the batarangs from my waist, aiming and shooting the grappling hook etc, i'm just floored at how it all feels, gave me the chills. . VR really is a totally new way to play and experience games. i wasn't even this impressed when i saw the first real polygonal 3D games like Quake etc.. this feels like a bigger jump to me, if i'm being honest. it's crazy.

i don't even care that i can't move around, i'm totally immersed and amazed just manipulating stuff and looking around.

i TRY not to get hyperbolic because i'm a grown ass man, but goddamn.. this sort of stuff has been my dream for the past 25 years! it's here now, i can be inside believable virtual worlds and take part in the action/story. this is it.

i'm gonna go to sleep with a huge grin on my face. good night from Gotham.

ok that last part was too much lol

Dirt Rally VR is awesome.

Do you use the cockpit view or the bumper cam? Bumper cam in VR is intense, feels like your face is right next to the gravel.
Never even tried it, that sounds kind of amazing. I've been sticking with cockpit view.

I still can't believe Dirt 4 came and went with no VR mode.

Never even tried it, that sounds kind of amazing. I've been sticking with cockpit view.

I still can't believe Dirt 4 came and went with no VR mode.

IIRC there's some comfort mode thing you have to disable in options to be able to be able to switch views, but once I tried it I couldn't go back. The view of the road completely fills your vision.

That's the second retailer I've heard about that's re-started taking Farpoint + Aim bundle pre-orders today. Hopefully that means stock allocations are happening.

I hope so. Amazon UK doesn't have pre-orders yet. Only stock available is £199 from 3rd party. That's a series mark-up for something they retailed at £75...

Top Bottom