• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

SilentUser

So, recently I bought two games and I felt like I wanted to share my impressions with you guys. Not really trying to convince anyone to buy those games. They are pretty simple, but my honest impressions!

Galaxy Kart
Image Quality: It could be better, but it is good enough. There is also reprojection, I think. The art is ok, nothing groundbreaking.
How do I feel about the game: The controls are hard in the beginning and very frustrating. However, I'm kinda used to it (I'm using control scheme number 3). Great use of the headset rumble (very surprising how hard it rumbles when you pass through a weapon box). Controller haptics are ok. The characters are interesting, each one has a special power. Karts are well designed, too. It lacks content (tracks, karts, but specially game modes). Also, 6 competitors in a race is a bummer.
In one word: Okay-ish.
Recommended? Wait a little bit for more content. Also, there is a demo incoming for you to try it out (I bought it the day before they announced the demo lol).

Paper Beast Enhanced Edition
Image Quality: It could be better, but it is good enough. There is also reprojection, I think. The beasts can be really fuzzy, with tons of shimmering, low res and alias when at far distance. They are fine and detailed when close to you, plus the physics of the game are well done, imo. The art style is outstanding, very lovely and sets the tone of the game really well. All in all, everything is fine overall.
How do I feel about the game: I'm very surprised! It is a lovely puzzle game with no verbal interaction. Such an interesting game. Easy to play and to understand what you have to do. Plenty of surprising moments. However, I honestly don't even remember if there are any controller haptics and headset rumble, which says a lot about those features.
In one word: Unique
Recommended? Yes (I had the PSVR1 version Sony distributed at some time, so the small upgrade fee was well worth it).

Last night I played a bit of the run I'm on in Hellsweeper, made it to the 2nd boss and killed him first try. Only 3 acts in the game but there are more Acts coming, 5 levels per act plus boss so effectively 15 levels total.

It's such a fun game, it's the perfect game for me to just jump in and play for 30 mins here and there.

I'll be really surprised if I manage to successfully finish the run but even if I don't, every time I jump in I'm glad I did. I have this mental block with roguelikes but this one is just really engaging for me.

For those curious about the overall content. You earn XP each run and as you gain levels you unlock the ability to get new weapons/buffs. Your stats also increase. The more you use weapons, the more you master them and as a result, you can spend currency to upgrade weapons/skills. There's also cosmetics to purchase.

Last edited:
Picked up Toss and the free update for Red Matter.

Really excited to try out Toss, looks like a great take on platforming that is only possible in VR and I freaking love the music in the trailer, I really hope the in-game OST is the same.

edit- Played a few levels in Toss!, it seems like a charming game so far. My basement ceiling is quite low and I was hitting with with the controllers so I stopped playing, gonna have to try to in the living room at some point. You move by grabbing things around you and hurtle yourself to the next object. Fun concept.

Last edited:
Decided to boot up Afterlife VR, indie horror game. I won't say it's survival horror but there is a bit of resource management. I knew the game was short but it's like really short. I think I it finished it in 90 mins.

The game has it's quirks, not so much jank but it's just kind of sloppy at times. There's also a stealth section towards the end and it was beyond frustrating. Easy enough to get through but man, insta-kill whenever you're spotted and it just didn't need to be in the game at all, it was easily the worst part of the game.

Main positives is the audio design, haptics, flashlight mechanics, and the game is quite scary, it doesn't seem like it would be but the developers make great use of jump scares. I was really on edge most of the time and I didn't expect that at all.

It's only $15 and if you're a huge fan of horror and can be patient enough to get familiar with it's inventory system, I think there's fun to be had with it. Don't expect much but it definitely hit the spot considering it's Halloween season.

Last edited:

SilentUser

Decided to boot up Afterlife VR, indie horror game. I won't say it's survival horror but there is a bit of resource management. I knew the game was short but it's like really short. I think I it finished it in 90 mins.

The game has it's quirks, not so much jank but it's just kind of sloppy at times. There's also a stealth section towards the end and it was beyond frustrating. Easy enough to get through but man, insta-kill whenever you're spotted and it just didn't need to be in the game at all, it was easily the worst part of the game.

Main positives is the audio design, haptics, flashlight mechanics, and the game is quite scary, it doesn't seem like it would be but the developers make great use of jump scares. I was really on edge most of the time and I didn't expect that at all.

It's only $15 and if you're a huge fan of horror and can be patient enough to get familiar with it's inventory system, I think there's fun to be had with it. Don't expect much but it definitely hit the spot considering it's Halloween season.

Man... I don't think I can handle horror games in VR. I finished Village, but that's way more action than horror and sometimes I honestly had to turn off the game as I couldn't handle it lmao

Man... I don't think I can handle horror games in VR. I finished Village, but that's way more action than horror and sometimes I honestly had to turn off the game as I couldn't handle it lmao
Yea, horror games can be quite intense in VR, lol. I'm actually nervous about MADiSON VR, that game looks like it could be the scariest one yet.

Propagation Paradise Hotel looks pretty good to scratch that classic Resident Evil itch in VR. It looks like it's only 4 hours long, but I wonder if it is as replayable as Resident Evil enough to justify buying it at launch. Did anyone here play it on Meta Quest 2?

I'm definitely getting it day 1 so expect some impressions from me.

In case you haven't seen my comments on Organ Quarter. That games scratches the OG Resident Evil/Silent Hill itch, just incase you're trying to find a game with that kind of vibe.

aclar00

Project: Wingman is a crock of bait and switch BS and it's truly amazing how awful Sony is with vetting these titles and marketing them in the blog.

I refuse to get overly down on the headset as a whole cause I truly am enjoying most games I play but man, like wtf is Sony doing? They are effectively shitting all over the headset and making it hard for VR players to even defend the thing. Such a disservice to the community and indie developers who are actually making good games for it.
Unfortunately its Sony 101

aclar00

Yea, horror games can be quite intense in VR, lol. I'm actually nervous about MADiSON VR, that game looks like it could be the scariest one yet.

I'm definitely getting it day 1 so expect some impressions from me.

In case you haven't seen my comments on Organ Quarter. That games scratches the OG Resident Evil/Silent Hill itch, just incase you're trying to find a game with that kind of vibe.

May try it down the road, but would be nice to have a big budget made for VR like PT.. i hope Sony makes at least 4 big budget made for VR games...this would show theyre truly invested IMO.

May try it down the road, but would be nice to have a big budget made for VR like PT.. i hope Sony makes at least 4 big budget made for VR games...this would show theyre truly invested IMO.
MADiSON VR seems like it may scratch that PT itch, at least that's what others have said who played the flat version.

Firesprite is working on a AAA horror game and they made The Persistance (PSVR & flat) as well as Horizon: COTM. Signs point to the game not releasing before 2025 though. No confirmation if it's VR but I wouldn't be surprised if it's PSVR2 & flat. Fingers crossed at least.

aclar00

MADiSON VR seems like it may scratch that PT itch, at least that's what others have said who played the flat version.

Firesprite is working on a AAA horror game and they made The Persistance (PSVR & flat) as well as Horizon: COTM. Signs point to the game not releasing before 2025 though. No confirmation if it's VR but I wouldn't be surprised if it's PSVR2 & flat. Fingers crossed at least.
Thanks for the info. As much as its financially more viable to make a flat and vr version, i just want to see what PSVR2 could really do with the likes of a high quality game built from the ground up in VR instead of being made flat and then working backwards for VR compatibility like RE8 and RE4

Edit: It will happen one day, ill hold out hope 😞

Last edited:
The Foglands sounds dope. Roguelike but there's a story mode that doubles your attack and health. Sounds like there's a lot of narrative (every piece of dialogue is voice acted), exploration, dynamic music. Utilizes dynamic foveated rendering and the director says it's 70fps reprojected, says they plan on increasing it with further updates. Game utilizes eye tracking for throwing objects. Director describes the combat as a bar fight. Break a bottle over a monsters head, stun him, shoot another enemy, etc. Referred to Indiana Jones a few times in the interview. The game has been in the works for 7 years. Sony reached out to them after seeing an early prototype and the developers were involved in the creation of PSVR2. Says there's like 8-12 hours worth of content. Asking price is $35, just pre-ordered it though to get the 10% discount. Releases HALLOWEEN NIGHT and that was intentional. Director says it's gonna be a good game for the holiday. :messenger_face_screaming:

Also pre-ordered 'Vampire - The Masquerade: Justice' to get the discount and horse armor...I mean GOLDEN WRIST MOUNTED CROSSBOW 🙌. I have high hopes for that game. That's 11/2 I think.

Last edited:

SilentUser

I'm very excited for The Foglands, wishlisted since the reveal trailer. I think it will be pretty cool to play (I dig roguelite games in VR). Just not sure if I will pre-order considering it isn't a good idea in it's very essence for anything, specially for VR titles. Still, I have a pretty good feeling about this game, it would be nice to grab that 10% discount.

Ghost Signal: Stellaris is pretty great so far. Interesting take on the shmup genre. Definitely not a shmup per say but honestly not sure how else to describe it.

Lots of multitasking and it's somewhat slow but the mental aspect is really engaging so it feels quick when you're fighting enemies.

Definitely feels like it's well worth the $20 asking price.

Ghost Signal: Stellaris is pretty great so far. Interesting take on the shmup genre. Definitely not a shmup per say but honestly not sure how else to describe it.

Lots of multitasking and it's somewhat slow but the mental aspect is really engaging so it feels quick when you're fighting enemies.

Definitely feels like it's well worth the $20 asking price.
I played more this morning and yea, this game is really great. The combat is somewhat simple but I've honestly never played anything like it. It's just damn fun. Honestly the best roguelike I've played so far. Doesn't even feel like a roguelike too cause the game makes it really easy to get permanent upgrades.

It seems like it could have been a Mass Effect mobile game where you're exclusively in the Normandy and just getting in space battles and mining resources. You also come across signals from planets and can send the scouting team to check it out and gain upgrades, come across alien species who sell you stuff, space pirates who want a ransom or you can opt to just fight them.

To me it's an example of a really simple gaming concept but executed in a masterful way. It's almost like Asteroids but much more fleshed out.

ABnormal

It seems that Behemoth has been delayed by an entire year. I doesn't come as a surprise, since we haven't seen any gameplay or even screenshot, but it stings because it's my most anticipated title (and I'm fairly convinced that it will be the next big thing in VR), and I'm eagerly awaiting to play it.
At the same time, it means that the project is big and that they want it to be in perfect shape when launched. It also shows that they have good budget for it, because a year delay costs MUCH.
Let it release when it's ready and uncompromised on the developer's vision.

It seems that Behemoth has been delayed by an entire year. I doesn't come as a surprise, since we haven't seen any gameplay or even screenshot, but it stings because it's my most anticipated title (and I'm fairly convinced that it will be the next big thing in VR), and I'm eagerly awaiting to play it.
At the same time, it means that the project is big and that they want it to be in perfect shape when launched. It also shows that they have good budget for it, because a year delay costs MUCH.
Let it release when it's ready and uncompromised on the developer's vision.
Agreed. Saints and Sinners is easily one of the best VR games out there, I own Retribution but haven't played it yet. I think Behemoth will be another top-tier game from that studio. I have no problem waiting considering their pedigree.

Anybody has recommendations for headset padding mods?
I'm eyeing this one but don't see many reviews nor tutorials
I've heard nothing but great things about this one and it's real cheap ($29 USD). I plan on getting it at some point for hygiene reasons but the added over the head strap sounds nice too. https://us.vrcover.com/collections/all/products/head-strap-cover-set-for-psvr-2

Are you certain you're wearing the headset correctly? It's a finicky beast and honestly, a lot of people wear it wrong, myself included for a few months. I made this video for another gaf'r the other day, he said it helped him, it might help you. Obviously our skulls are all unique but I have zero issues with comfort these days.

Last edited:

SilentUser

Silent user

Let's play add me up on psn! MRARCADEGMB
I'm Brazilian too but I live in the US!
Added!

Brought NMS for $30. It looks fantastic and i feel in space exploring. Have to finish Saints and sinners 2. Finished Red Matter 2 the best looking title right now. Will wait for a special for moss 1&2.

NMS is great now. I love to explore planets, build and identify stuff. Also, so cool to see different spaceships and ending buying lots of them lol. Moss is such a charming game, surprisingly sweet and adorable. You won't regreat buying it at some point 😁

R6Rider

Gold Member
I am so stoked for Propagation: Paradise Hotel on 10/12! People who have played it on Quest say it's super reminiscent of classic RE.

Definitely getting it and will share some thoughts. It's been confirmed by the devs to be native 120hz 👌
Didn't realize it was releasing so soon. Haven't read much on it, but the videos looked good.

SilentUser

Anyone here playing Waltz of the Wizard? As a big nerd since childhood, the premise of being a wizard in the game is very enticing. However, I'm worried the action part might be too short and not magical enough :messenger_grinning_sweat: plus, not sure how good the image quality is.

Anyone here playing Waltz of the Wizard? As a big nerd since childhood, the premise of being a wizard in the game is very enticing. However, I'm worried the action part might be too short and not magical enough :messenger_grinning_sweat: plus, not sure how good the image quality is.
I've heard good things about it. I know Myles, who is a part of the PSVR without parole crew, was Livestreaming it the other day. If you YT Myles and the game name I'm sure it'll come up.

I plan on getting it sometime this winter, people say there is a ton of content and I think there's some kind of endless mode too. Also couch coop support, other person uses a dualsense and plays over the TV.

SilentUser

I've heard good things about it. I know Myles, who is a part of the PSVR without parole crew, was Livestreaming it the other day. If you YT Myles and the game name I'm sure it'll come up.

I plan on getting it sometime this winter, people say there is a ton of content and I think there's some kind of endless mode too. Also couch coop support, other person uses a dualsense and plays over the TV.
Nice, will check his YT. Thanks, man ☺️

I asked the Journey to Foundation devs on Twitter/X if they can comment on the framerate for PSVR2, they said it's 120.

Same for Propagation: Paradise Hotel releasing on Thursday, it's 120.

Of course dynamic foveated rendering is ideal but nice to not have reprojection. GamerTag was able to play P: PH on PSVR2 and he said it looks fantastic.

I also asked the Dungeons of Eternity devs if they could comment if the game is exclusive to Quest and they said they haven't finalized release dates for other headsets. That game looks like a coop masterpiece, really hope it comes to PSVR2.

I love that VR studios are so small that they'll take the time to actually answer reasonable questions.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I asked the Journey to Foundation devs on Twitter/X if they can comment on the framerate for PSVR2, they said it's 120.

Of course dynamic foveated rendering is ideal but nice to not have reprojection. GamerTag was able to play P: PH on PSVR2 and he said it looks fantastic.

I also asked the Dungeons of Eternity devs if they could comment if the game is exclusive to Quest and they said they haven't finalized release dates for other headsets. That game looks like a coop masterpiece, really hope it comes to PSVR2.

I love that VR studios are so small that they'll take the time to actually answer reasonable questions.
I've noticed that too and the fact that they will do interviews with channels like PSVR Without Parole.

SilentUser

Great to see more games having native 120hz, though 90hz would be just fine imo. I might be defective, can't really notice much difference between 90hz and 120 hz 😅

Great to see more games having native 120hz, though 90hz would be just fine imo. I might be defective, can't really notice much difference between 90hz and 120 hz 😅
Yea, even 60 reprojected doesn't really bother me but always nice to see developers taking the time and effort to maximize an aspect of the headset.

Top Bottom