• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

As whole October ;d good at least RedMatter1, 7th guest and Paradise Hotel are decent
Ghostbusters is great too if you're into a relatively chill coop experience. Needs more content but the base mechanics are on point IMO. Edit- I've put nearly 20 hours into it already.

I got the Foglands pre-ordered so I'll check it out after work. Shame to see the brutal reviews. I'll definitely share some impressions.

Last edited:
I was guessing Foglands would get around a 7.

Ouch.

Please, Vamprie: TM - Justice, please be good.
Remember too that it might be something a quick patch can fix. Or maybe the game just sucks and is hopeless 😅

One of the biggest issues with these PSVR2 reviews is that they are rarely, if ever, updated. So many games get sorted out post-launch but then there's all these reviews out there showing how bad it is/was. Kind F'd to me that they'll continue to generate ad revenue and the developer continues to get bad press for something that may have been completely fixed.

That definitely falls on the developer for taking the risk but it's a bummer all the same cause the lack of demos prevents most people from taking a risk if a game scores low. I get it, I just hate to see gamers potentially miss out on something they might enjoy. 😞

But that's what I'm here for, I'm so deep in the headset, I want it all and am glad to offer any kind of insight on games people are curious about 🍻

Man, The Foglands is getting absolutely roasted. Poor bastards. They have released a patch and I'm sure will release more.

I played the tutorial at lunch and yea, I can see some of the issues. Curious how it will be when I actually start a run sometime tonight.

It's just so weird, like I expect bugs, especially with these tiny teams making VR games. But the menu box is anchored to your face so when you try to read the tutorial in the menu, you can't even see the far side of the text and then turning your head simply moves the entire box. Shit like that is so dumb. Just so weird that you're making this game and no one was like, "ehh, lets just make it float there in a stationary way so people can actually read it..." lol.

SilentUser

Man, The Foglands is getting absolutely roasted. Poor bastards. They have released a patch and I'm sure will release more.

I played the tutorial at lunch and yea, I can see some of the issues. Curious how it will be when I actually start a run sometime tonight.

It's just so weird, like I expect bugs, especially with these tiny teams making VR games. But the menu box is anchored to your face so when you try to read the tutorial in the menu, you can't even see the far side of the text and then turning your head simply moves the entire box. Shit like that is so dumb. Just so weird that you're making this game and no one was like, "ehh, lets just make it float there in a stationary way so people can actually read it..." lol.
Oh man, that's too bad! You are right, some stuff shouldn't be happening at all since they are basic common sense... Still feel bad for them, though.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm 100% in now, darker blacks will help this game's visuals look a lot more 3D. The lack of contrast before was making it look a bit flatter to me too I think. But yeah, a little more time to work out the new bugs. That's ok, I'm running through Red Matter 1, and it's been pretty good, but I think I'll still enjoy 7th Guest over it.

I actually am really enjoying The Foglands. It definitely has some glaring issues but it's honestly just VR jank for the most part and that dialog box thing I described above. Picking up items is kind of wonky but once you realize what the game wants you to do it works just fine the majority of the time. That is definitely gonna be addressed by the developers though, everyone is saying it and they're taking notes.

Honestly did not encounter a single crash or glaring bug. I'm sure they exist but the experience I had was nothing like what people are describing.

Do I recommend it right now, no. I love janky games, something about playing by their rules is just fantastic to me, knowing that the game could potentially fly off the rails at any moment, it's awesome, lol. If the game was crashing and glitching out that'd be another thing but that just didn't happen to me once in the 75 mins I was playing.

It has great jumping. I wish this was like a finely tuned 4 hour campaign with a side mode for a procedurally generated dungeon. Kill two birds with one stone, cause the environments and atmosphere are great. Great OST, voice acting is fine. It has a really cool vibe. It was really fun to explore the environment once it's cleared out.

Enemies kind of act like Redfall at times but at the very least they will attack you, it just looks kind of goofy and there's always 1 dude just standing around like a dumbass.

There's a fun throwing mechanic. Just grab an item, look at an enemy and they'll highlight, then just chuck it at him. It connected 99% of the time and it takes into account velocity so I was absolutely hurtling shit at foes, lol.

I would keep this in your wishlist if it was already. People saying this game is irredeemable seems so far off base from what I played.

Here's some no-commentary footage. Just click around if you're curious, I did two runs and got the 1st boss each time. First run starts at 22 mins.

Last edited:

SilentUser

I actually am really enjoying The Foglands. It definitely has some glaring issues but it's honestly just VR jank for the most part and that dialog box thing I described above. Picking up items is kind of wonky but once you realize what the game wants you to do it works just fine the majority of the time. That is definitely gonna be addressed by the developers though, everyone is saying it and they're taking notes.

Honestly did not encounter a single crash or glaring bug. I'm sure they exist but the experience I had was nothing like what people are describing.

Do I recommend it right now, no. I love janky games, something about playing by their rules is just fantastic to me, knowing that the game could potentially fly off the rails at any moment, it's awesome, lol. If the game was crashing and glitching out that'd be another thing but that just didn't happen to me once in the 75 mins I was playing.

It has great jumping. I wish this was like a finely tuned 4 hour campaign with a side mode for a procedurally generated dungeon. Kill two birds with one stone, cause the environments and atmosphere are great. Great OST, voice acting is fine. It has a really cool vibe. It was really fun to explore the environment once it's cleared out.

Enemies kind of act like Redfall at times but at the very least they will attack you, it just looks kind of goofy and there's always 1 dude just standing around like a dumbass.

There's a fun throwing mechanic. Just grab an item, look at an enemy and they'll highlight, then just chuck it at him. It connected 99% of the time and it takes into account velocity so I was absolutely hurtling shit at foes, lol.

I would keep this in your wishlist if it was already. People saying this game is irredeemable seems so far off base from what I played.

Here's some no-commentary footage. Just click around if you're curious, I did two runs and got the 1st boss each time. First run starts at 22 mins.

How's the game image quality in your opinion?

Surfheart

Appreciate the impressions fart town. I really liked the way the game looked but that PSVR without parole review completely soured me on it. Still tempted to see the train wreck for myself though.

Madjako

So I bought psvr2, tried it 2 hours and here are my first reactions :
- horizon looks stunning (nohing new here). The details such as the little grass on the ladders is just mind blowing.
- the caracteres looks almost real. The guy behind the bar in the star war demo is just....there.
- no youtube vr, wtf sony ?
- the introduction of horizon looks like a disney attraction. And I was thinking, why don't Disney or Universal studios make their realife attraction in cgi for vr experiences ??? That would allow anyone to enjoy their attractions without the need and the cost of the trip.
- only 1 game available with the playstation extra account. Wtf sony ?
- the ability to change the screen size is nice. Gotta try Spiderman 2 with the biggest screen, should be great.
- are 3d movies in 3d with psvr2 such as psvr1 ?

diffusionx

Gold Member
- the introduction of horizon looks like a disney attraction. And I was thinking, why don't Disney or Universal studios make their realife attraction in cgi for vr experiences ??? That would allow anyone to enjoy their attractions without the need and the cost of the trip.

Are you seriously asking why Universal and Disney don't give away the main reasons to go to their parks for a fraction of the cost?

Minsc

Gold Member
No to anything besides games on PSVR2. No 3D movies, no other apps, nothing. I don't even find the large 2D cinema gaming to be that good or worthwhile, I just feel like I'm giving up too much vs playing on my 4k HDR / surround system.

Are you seriously asking why Universal and Disney don't give away the main reasons to go to their parks for a fraction of the cost?

Lol, but a VR port of the Disney themed Animal Crossing game would get me to buy it for sure.

If they sell their attractions like a game, why not ? This could make money...
Ghostbusters VR dude. You might want to wait until the bugs are sorted out and more content is available but that game is an absolute riot. It has a theme park attraction vibe for sure. It's all coop though, don't get in expecting solo, you can play solo with an AI ghost partner but 4 player coop is where it's at.

Switchback might be good too for you and it received a visual update recently. Rollercoaster light gun horror game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Pistol Whip I find to a lesser extent as well, even though it is a rhythm game and very geometric looking, at points in the levels it almost feels like a theme park ride, usually towards the end, but it's a much more fun experience compared to other rhythm games IMO, the way you move through an area.

Pistol Whip I find to a lesser extent as well, even though it is a rhythm game and very geometric looking, at points in the levels it almost feels like a theme park ride, usually towards the end, but it's a much more fun experience compared to other rhythm games IMO, the way you move through an area.
I need to get that! I don't care much for rhythm games myself but that one looks really interesting. My buddy got that as his first VR game the other week for Quest 3.

XXL

- horizon looks stunning (nohing new here). The details such as the little grass on the ladders is just mind blowing.
- the caracteres looks almost real. The guy behind the bar in the star war demo is just....there.
- the ability to change the screen size is nice. Gotta try Spiderman 2 with the biggest screen, should be great.
-Buy Red Matter 2
-Buy Pavlov (play TTT)
-Thank me later

Minsc

Gold Member
I still put Village as my favorite VR experience - such an enjoyable game for me and it has so much variety too. Though my VR horror tolerance is probably around a 5/10 and Village is a good 6 or 7 IMO, but pushing those limits is definitely part of the fun. Propagation: Paradise Hotel on the other hand, yeah that looks like it goes towards the 9 or 10 category, so unfortunately as fun as it may be, I don't need to be scared shitless to that extent haha.

SilentUser

Welcome! Today I actually spent some time playing Diablo IV while using PSVR2. Never really cared for the massive screen since I have a big TV and a hometheater/Pulse, yet I actually got really excited while playing it with PSVR2 cinema mode. It simply "fits". Will play again soon.
If you want any PSVR2 game indication, just tell us :) will share some of my favorite titles if u want

Put over 2 hours into Foglands tonight and yea, it's by no means a brilliant game but I'm still really enjoying it. Picking up items is still wonky but I'm pretty there with it being seamless, it's rarely a problem anymore. It still needs to be adjusted though.

I really enjoy the dialogue, each run presents a bit of more lore and it's nothing overly impressive but it's good world building. It's always acknowledged that you keep coming back to life after dying so it lends it a nice lived in feeling. The voice acting is great too, it's got a saturday morning cartoon style to it. Voice actors did a good job.

As braindead as the AI can be at times, it's still not an easy game. It took me like 7 tries to take down the first boss but now that I know a reliable technique, it'll be easy moving forward.

I was really enjoying the look of the 2nd level but I accidentally blew myself up early into it.

Loot seemed rare as can be at first but I realized I should be shooting pots and boxes for more money. There's a lot of small things that the game doesn't really make you aware of. Seems really hollow at times but the more I played it, the more I started to come to terms with the game design.

Also, SilentUser SilentUser . The game is definitely blurry when you turn. I think I only noticed it cause it was on my mind from your question. I only really see it when I think about it but if you're really sensitive to it it might stand out big time.

I have Vampire the Masquerade preloaded but I honestly don't want to stop playing Foglands, even with all it's issues I just really dig it and really want to see it through to the end. Vampire looks fantastic though, might have to boot it up to see what the resolution is like.

Right on dude, if you have any questions, issues with the headset, etc. please don't hesitate to post in here. Thread is updated all the time with news and thoughts on current games.

SilentUser

Put over 2 hours into Foglands tonight and yea, it's by no means a brilliant game but I'm still really enjoying it. Picking up items is still wonky but I'm pretty there with it being seamless, it's rarely a problem anymore. It still needs to be adjusted though.

I really enjoy the dialogue, each run presents a bit of more lore and it's nothing overly impressive but it's good world building. It's always acknowledged that you keep coming back to life after dying so it lends it a nice lived in feeling. The voice acting is great too, it's got a saturday morning cartoon style to it. Voice actors did a good job.

As braindead as the AI can be at times, it's still not an easy game. It took me like 7 tries to take down the first boss but now that I know a reliable technique, it'll be easy moving forward.

I was really enjoying the look of the 2nd level but I accidentally blew myself up early into it.

Loot seemed rare as can be at first but I realized I should be shooting pots and boxes for more money. There's a lot of small things that the game doesn't really make you aware of. Seems really hollow at times but the more I played it, the more I started to come to terms with the game design.

Also, SilentUser SilentUser . The game is definitely blurry when you turn. I think I only noticed it cause it was on my mind from your question. I only really see it when I think about it but if you're really sensitive to it it might stand out big time.

I have Vampire the Masquerade preloaded but I honestly don't want to stop playing Foglands, even with all it's issues I just really dig it and really want to see it through to the end. Vampire looks fantastic though, might have to boot it up to see what the resolution is like.
Nice, thanks for sharing. The game remains on my radar despite all the negative reviews. I think I can deal with it if the game is blurry when turning only, but yeah I'm very sensitive when it comes to lower resolution. Funny enough, reprojection doesn't bother me that much, thankfully.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I revisited this game today after finishing the story campaign during the initial release:

And I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that the developer made some great improvements to the game. Most importantly the weapon handling is a lot smoother now and less prone to glitching out. But most importantly, they've added manual reloading for weapons, which instantly made this game like 10x better for me.

It's a really fun arcade shooter too, with enough game modes to keep me occupied for a while. Today I played a little bit of the horde mode and then I jumped into the co-op campaign missions (which is a separate campaign from the main solo story mode), and paired up with some Italian guy who didn't understand a lick of English but we had fun together nonetheless. I kept laughing the whole time because he kept cussing in Italian whenever something didn't go his way, and I would occasionally hear him call out "FRIEND... FRIEND..." to me whenever he was down and needed me to revive him. It was hilarious, lol.

Definitely one of the best PSVR 2 game purchases that I made so far.

Last edited:
With games like Foglands and Firewall Ultra stumbling out of the gate, I feel like I'm just waiting for RE4 and Bulletstorm.
I really hope things turn around some with the designed for VR games. VR modes for flat screen games shouldn't be the main pull imo.
With all the flat games to play this year, I find myself just adding VR games to my wishlist to get sometime later at a discount.

Minsc

Gold Member
With games like Foglands and Firewall Ultra stumbling out of the gate, I feel like I'm just waiting for RE4 and Bulletstorm.
I really hope things turn around some with the designed for VR games. VR modes for flat screen games shouldn't be the main pull imo.
With all the flat games to play this year, I find myself just adding VR games to my wishlist to get sometime later at a discount.

Yeah, disappointing those were letdowns. Kinda one of the really nice things about Hybrid VR releases is you know they're going to be excellent games - RE Village, RE 4, GT7, and I wish we'd get a ton more, because they are taking games that are superb as the foundation then just adding VR. Sure it's not as true to VR as original VR games, like Alyx, but god damn, getting amazing games in VR is still, well amazing I wish we got many more hybrid ports, but doesn't seem like it's going to pan out that way.

Also, Red Matter 1 just released recently, so I have that and Red Matter 2 finish now, and 7th Guest by all impressions is another very solid release I'm looking forward to. So I'm not feeling too starved at the moment.

Yeah, disappointing those were letdowns. Kinda one of the really nice things about Hybrid VR releases is you know they're going to be excellent games - RE Village, RE 4, GT7, and I wish we'd get a ton more, because they are taking games that are superb as the foundation then just adding VR. Sure it's not as true to VR as original VR games, like Alyx, but god damn, getting amazing games in VR is still, well amazing I wish we got many more hybrid ports, but doesn't seem like it's going to pan out that way.

Also, Red Matter 1 just released recently, so I have that and Red Matter 2 finish now, and 7th Guest by all impressions is another very solid release I'm looking forward to. So I'm not feeling too starved at the moment.
Yea, I added both Red Matter games and the Red Matter collection to my wishlist. I'm not huge into puzzle games though, but I think I'll like those enough to get it at some point.

Top Bottom