• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

SilentUser

I revisited this game today after finishing the story campaign during the initial release:

And I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that the developer made some great improvements to the game. Most importantly the weapon handling is a lot smoother now and less prone to glitching out. But most importantly, they've added manual reloading for weapons, which instantly made this game like 10x better for me.

It's a really fun arcade shooter too, with enough game modes to keep me occupied for a while. Today I played a little bit of the horde mode and then I jumped into the co-op campaign missions (which is a separate campaign from the main solo story mode), and paired up with some Italian guy who didn't understand a lick of English but we had fun together nonetheless. I kept laughing the whole time because he kept cussing in Italian whenever something didn't go his way, and I would occasionally hear him call out "FRIEND... FRIEND..." to me whenever he was down and needed me to revive him. It was hilarious, lol.

Definitely one of the best PSVR 2 game purchases that I made so far.
Found out today that the game now features crossplay. Going to buy soon so I can play it with my brother :D

poodaddy

Probably 400
Right on man. I think that's a good price. I'd make you an offer if I had a good room set up for it right now. My downstairs living room is the only place where I feel I have the room for VR without breaking something, but I have the PSV upstairs in the game room and I'm far too lazy to move it up and downstairs whenever I wanna do VR lol. If for some reason you don't end up selling it by the time I pick up a second PS5, then I'll DM you and see if you'd wanna let it go. Black Friday's coming up, who knows right?

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

At least get a Quest 3 if you still like VR, that headset looks dope.
I do but in my game room I don't have the most space. And when I do use my vr for standing games I'm constantly having to move my PS5 into my living room. The back and fourth is annoying lol.

Wireless and the quest 3 might be my best bet

Had more fun with Foglands tonight but holy smokes the AI was extra dead.

I also realized there's a faster turning speed for the camera and that actually cut down on the blurriness. I did the same thing with Horizon: COTM first time playing it, I thought it was at it's fastest speed (it wasn't) and holy balls it was blurry as fuck when turning :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I did have some kind of door issue though that forced me to abandon the run. I got horribly lost and when heading back to where I should have been, a pressure switch on the floor wouldn't open the door. Lame. Next run was fine though and made it to the 2nd boss.

My lord the AI was extra brain dead tonight though. It's so weird, sometimes they're perfectly aggressive and the jank is in the animations, there just isn't much animation so they look goofy as hell at times. Tonight they were pretty damn dumb, the whole lot of them. Running in the opposite direction and stuff :messenger_tears_of_joy:. I'm gonna stick with it unless I get more soft lock issues, it's still fun for what it is. It's an interesting game for sure and it has enough good to keep me entertained and engaged.

edit-

Also picked up Walkabout w/ all the DLC. A buddy picked up a Quest 3 the other week and another friend has PSVR2 and they got it as well, excited to finally play it.

Also got Cactus Cowboy to show support for a solo developer who really seemed to put a lot of TLC in this goofy game. Picked up Hello Neighbor: Search and Rescue as well. That's on sale for a good price and all reviews said it was horribly broken at launch but the patch notes on the developers Discord is massive and people there said the game is fixed but has typical VR jank. Been on my radar, always looked fun to me.

Haven't even booted up Vampire yet but people are saying it's awesome.

Last edited:
How fun. Me and a handful of people have been posting on The Foglands discord, just commenting on what we enjoy and giving feedback on various issues.

The developers sent me a t-shirt and a Thank You card. Anyone who is familiar with my posting knows I can be really passionate with games I enjoy but I'd never try to steer people wrong or shill for something. It's nice being able to lend some cheer to a small team who is probably going through hell right now. I really like that about VR, many of these teams are so small that they are eager to get direct feedback from people playing the game.

yKTYrbi.jpg

It dawned on me the other night that the PSVR2 space really lacks an outlet for discussion on games that were completely busted at launch but have received tons of patches. Seeing how I personally enjoy janky games, I think sometime this winter I'm going to start a show that covers these games. I know people are interested in some of them but there's just no current coverage, just Day 1 reviews and many of those games are possibly completely fixed. I'm not saying this because I want to be an influencer, that sounds like an absolute nightmare. Just want to provide something that I think the VR space lacks. Try to bring some positivity or at least a 2nd look at some of these games that were written off.

Psvr2 still got some real games on it and re4vr is coming. Quest 3 is all mobile crap with some exceptions unless you have a pc.

I’ve tried it already. Pancake lenses are amazing. Screen is amazing except lcd
Yea but Quest is guaranteed to have some native baller games if you aren't running a serious rig that you can tether it to. Dungeons of Eternity for instance. That game alone makes me want the Quest 3. PSVR2 is still an option but devs haven't confirmed yet.

Minsc

Gold Member
Psvr2 still got some real games on it and re4vr is coming. Quest 3 is all mobile crap with some exceptions unless you have a pc.

I’ve tried it already. Pancake lenses are amazing. Screen is amazing except lcd

Yup, love both devices (with caveats, but still don't regret them). PSVR2 for the excellent HDR OLED colors and exclusives, and Quest 3 for that next-gen clearness compared to the PSVR2, and the freedom of the set, and to me it looks incredible wireless on PC VR too.

I'm definitely on board for the Quest 4 if it's a similar improvement as the 3 was to the Quest 2. I'm not entirely sure with the PSVR2 I'd really feel super compelled to upgrade from a Quest 3 to a OLED equivalent PC VR device and give up the ability to run native apps, I'd probably evaluate such a move more seriously if the Quest 4 was not up to par or missing entirely.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Only about two hours in so far, but Vampire TM Justice is great.

There's definitely noticeable reprojection or some other visual effect happening. Very noticeable on your hands and arms and on text (subtitles). Game has good lighting, and the graphics aren't too bad, but nothing the PS5 shouldn't be able to handle at at least 90hz native. Hopefully they can improve this later.

That's my only slightly major complaint, and for me doesn't take away from how fun the game is. Since it's mostly on subtitles you can just turn them off and while you're playing you're not exactly staring at your arms or hands. If you like stealth games or especially the Dishonored games, then I highly recommend it.

Combat has lots of variety, but using your bolt, powers, or simply melee. Climbing is fast and fluid and the blink ability (like in Dishonored) works great with the vertical design of levels. You can traverse the areas in multiple ways, and when climbing can get to different climbing spots/hand holds easily.

Voice acting is great, and the story is okay, but nothing amazing. There's puzzles to solve, hidden areas, and of course some secret stuff to find.

Throwing stuff, while sounding simple, done super well. You can flick your wrist when an object is highlighted to almost "force" grab it and then you can toss the objects normally or in a quick fluid motion.

TLDR: Highly recommended, especially if you like Dishonored.

Last edited:
I have like 15 hours into Foglands now. Still braindead AI issues, I really hope that gets sorted out. Other various issues. I finally made it to the "final boss" and he went completely brain dead like a minute into it, such a shame cause it's a cool fight. Cheesed him all the same but the game still isn't over. Each run gives you more story and something else is going on. I'm assuming the true final boss is the dude wearing the hat. Only 11/22 trophies.

If this game gets sorted out, I honestly think it will be an absolute gem for the people it connects with.

Finished Red Matter and getting close to finish Red Matter 2.

Both great games, but 2 is much better and looks so crisp on the headset.

The scene where you get the gun on RM2 is mind blowing in vr. Holy crap!
RM2 is my #1 PSVR2 game so far, without a doubt. Even just some of the ordinary walking sim puzzles were fantastic - but the game goes well beyond walking sim.
My only criticism was the lack of teleport mode due to my sometimes nausea.

Last edited:

I'm really curious how Very Bad Dreams will be on PSVR2. I have the PSVR version and it's somewhat charming with what the developers are trying to do but man it's really broken. I was testing out various updates and would come across game breaking bugs, I'd email the developers showing the issue. To their credit they fixed each thing and updated the game within a day or two but as I kept getting further, more and more bugs. Got to be unplayable in a section that requires a gas mask. Even with the gasmask on id still die, etc. they seem confident though with the PSVR2 version. Thankfully it's a free update.

SilentUser

Yeah, I know I'm kinda posting way too much lately, but take a look at this:

It is just a patent for now, but this could be cool! Also, nice to see Sony researching more things related to PSVR2.

Yeah, I know I'm kinda posting way too much lately, but take a look at this:

It is just a patent for now, but this could be cool! Also, nice to see Sony researching more things related to PSVR2.
You can never post too much when it comes to niche VR markets 😅🍻

I started playing Horizon Call of the mountain again and there's something off with smooth turning. It feels choppy as hell. I rarely feel sick while playing vr but had to change to snap turn as smooth was giving me a headache.

Kind of annoying. I don't think this game received too many performance updates, did it?

Not sure if anyone else notice the same issue...

Last edited:

drezz

I started playing Horizon Call of the mountain again and there's something off with smooth turning. It feels choppy as hell. I rarely feel sick while playing vr but had to change to snap turn as smooth was giving me a headache.

Kind of annoying. I don't think this game received too many performance updates, did it?

Not sure if anyone else notice the same issue...
Thats the reprojecting for you.
60fps with reprojecting makes it seem way choopy when moving your head fast, more so with smooth turning.

Minsc

Gold Member
I actually find the reprojection to be incredibly smooth. Maybe less so in CotM than Village, but if I stand still or turn, either way, I can see the 60fps, it's not perfectly smooth, but if I move my head left or right, that to me looks like it's drawn at 120fps, smoother than the in game movement for sure.

The other important thing IMO for locomotion controls/smooth turning is speed. IMO Smooth Turning sucks ass at medium to slower speeds. The faster you can smooth turn the better, in fact I welcome the choppiness.

If I can smooth turn a circle in 2-3 seconds, that's slow and looks terrible and feels bad. If I can do that same circle super fast in 1/2-1 second, perfect. Sure the movement isn't smooth, but to me it feel right. It's like combining teleport and smooth turning in to one, plus I don't really want to sit there for 3 seconds while I wait to turn in a circle. Give me fast as hell smooth turning and you did it right.

And it's not like I haven't played 90/120fps games without reprojection. I own Red Metter 1/2 among others, and I still prefer the movement speed at 60 from Vlilage where it's faster, than the slower 90fps but smoother movement/turning in Red Matter.

Full run of Foglands. Still haven't finished the game though. Story is playing out and still have the true final boss. Minimal issues in this run, mostly just dumb AI at times. Incorporated the shotgun and it made a big difference. I read that the game gets more difficult each time you successfully complete a run, I've had two now so pretty curious how it will be moving forward.

Surfheart

Full run of Foglands. Still haven't finished the game though. Story is playing out and still have the true final boss. Minimal issues in this run, mostly just dumb AI at times. Incorporated the shotgun and it made a big difference. I read that the game gets more difficult each time you successfully complete a run, I've had two now so pretty curious how it will be moving forward.

Man Ive been so tempted to pick this up, im aware of the issues but i love the style. Do you know if the developers have made any improvements since launch?

Crayon

I've got a friend who basically only plays GT7 and has only played it in vr since the headset came out. Same here. It is the correct way to play the game.

We finally jumped on together the other night and gott damn is the paddock (public free run) a fantastic social space. We were having so much fun and talking about this shit would have been unbeleivable back when we were playing like 4 hours of gt2 every night in highschool.

Top Bottom