• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Yeah, I switched to fast speed and it is a bit better but still unplayable for me. Snap turning helps but I don't like snap turning in general, lol.
I'd double check just to be safe. I thought I had maxed out on speed and it was awful but there were faster options and it greatly improved it for me. The whole options UI is more obtuse than it needs to be, at least to me.

SilentUser

Talking about reprojection I didnt have issues with Horizon (but you indeed need to increase smooth turning to the max as fart town usa fart town usa said) but I notice it quite a bit in Switchback. A bit distracting sometimes to be honest

Hubris devs said Sony was working on improving the algorithm, so hopefully we will have better quality in the future.

On another topic, I showed Demeo to à friend who is a sucker for table top RPG and TRPG in general. He went back home and ordered a heasdet.

Yes, the game is THAT good.
Ow yeah, such a fantastic game! And it is crossplay, too. Had a blast playing with my friends (bard ftw!)

Markio128

Gold Member
Fair play to the devs of Pistol Whip. Every time I play the game, there seem to be more free stages added. Really awesome support, especially considering each stage has new art and music.

Pistol Whip and Beat Saber are my favourite pick up and play VR games for that quick fun fix. Synapse and Zombieland are up there as well.

I think VR is the natural home for arcade style games, purely because VR sessions (for me personally) come in 30-60 min chunks.

SilentUser

Great graphics and nice art. Will keep an eye on it!

"Arken Age is a single-player VR adventure set in the Bio-Chasm, a terraformed fantasy world created by the Grand Arborist. In the game you can engage in full physics-based combat using Arkenite infused swords & guns; and freely explore the densely filled environments under siege by Hyperion's neural corruption.

When developing Arken Age our biggest focus was on realistic physics-based combat, one-of-a-kind VR weaponry, and creating a full-length 10-hour campaign with the addition of an endless replayability mode."

R6Rider

Gold Member

Great graphics and nice art. Will keep an eye on it!

"Arken Age is a single-player VR adventure set in the Bio-Chasm, a terraformed fantasy world created by the Grand Arborist. In the game you can engage in full physics-based combat using Arkenite infused swords & guns; and freely explore the densely filled environments under siege by Hyperion's neural corruption.

When developing Arken Age our biggest focus was on realistic physics-based combat, one-of-a-kind VR weaponry, and creating a full-length 10-hour campaign with the addition of an endless replayability mode."

This looks pretty good. Great looking environments and the combat looks fun.

R6Rider

Gold Member
December 12th!

Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

Thanks. I switched smooth turning to max and it's so much better now!
Nice! The options in that game are so dumb, lol.

I had the same thing with Foglands, had it set to Fast and didn't realize there's a 'Tornado' option. Small things like that can really go a long way with word of mouth and initial impressions. I mentioned it but it was the same exact for me with COTM. I thought, "This looks absolutely terrible, how can anyone play this??"

Glad it worked out.

FunkMiller

So, do you reckon we might get an RE4 VR shadow drop at the game awards? Or will my PSVR2 continue to gather dust in a corner, because Sony can't be bothered to make more decent full length AAA titles?

Finished Call of the mountain last night. The game just gets better and better after each mission. The last one is amazing. This game has the best vr climbing I've ever played and it never got boring to me.

It has its flaws but overall it's a solid game with beautiful graphics. Now on to the next game on my backlog:

Cosmonious High :)

ABnormal

So, do you reckon we might get an RE4 VR shadow drop at the game awards? Or will my PSVR2 continue to gather dust in a corner, because Sony can't be bothered to make more decent full length AAA titles?
Even if they would, you could not espect a number of games comparable to that of the main console (which are already an handful per year), so it's unrealistic to rely on Sony for the overall offer of games. But surely they could do more, both original games and hybrid.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
So I'm finally seriously considering getting a PS5 & PSVR2. I have a question to VR enthusiasts that have experience with other headsets and a PSVR2. I see many claims about the poorly implemented reproduction techniques that Sony uses in VR. Is it as really bad as claimed compared to Quest 2 and Quest 3? Is the frenel lense solution better or worse than a Quest 2 implementation? I'm not to worried about the mura, as I know that it be corrected by lowering the brightness (I run my Quest 3 and near lowest brightness settings.)

I know the answer is very subjective, and if you have only have ever used PSVR2, you may not know the difference, that's why I'm looking for people with experience with other headsets. I appreciate any anecdotal experiences.

Edit: for background of where these questions come from. I see many youtubers gushing over the clarity and IQ of games such as Horizon, GT7, and Kayak. Then I go to some channels with more of a singular focus on VR and they shit all over it. The comments are filled with people expressing their disappointment with the issues I listed above. So I'm kind of at a lost on who I should be putting stock into their assessment of the headset.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
So I'm finally seriously considering getting a PS5 & PSVR2. I have a question to VR enthusiasts that have experience with other headsets and a PSVR2. I see many claims about the poorly implemented reproduction techniques that Sony uses in VR. Is it as really bad as claimed compared to Quest 2 and Quest 3? Is the frenel lense solution better or worse than a Quest 2 implementation? I'm not to worried about the mura, as I know that it be corrected by lowering the brightness (I run my Quest 3 and near lowest brightness settings.)

I know the answer is very subjective, and if you have only have ever used PSVR2, you may not know the difference, that's why I'm looking for people with experience with other headsets. I appreciate any anecdotal experiences.

Edit: for background of where these questions come from. I see many youtubers gushing over the clarity and IQ of games such as Horizon, GT7, and Kayak. Then I go to some channels with more of a singular focus on VR and they shit all over it. The comments are filled with people expressing their disappointment with the issues I listed above. So I'm kind of at a lost on who I should be putting stock into their assessment of the headset.

I have a Quest 3 with pancake lenses and compared to that the PSVR2 is bad outside of gaming. The thing with gaming is that your peripheral vision is blurry to some extent anyway, so for gaming I think the PSVR2 can look better. But playing movies/flat games/virtual desktop etc? Awful. The clarity of content near the edges suffers in like a dozen ways.

But in gaming you are generally focused in on the center of the screen, and you can just turn your body/head to keep looking at the center of the screen while your camera/view turns. So as long as your view is focused on the center of the screen - where the sweet spot is, it looks very sharp.

The OLED+HDR is amazing. That's undeniable, the colors compared to the Quest 3 are day and night better. The controllers are great. Everything else sucks. So the strength of the PSVR2 is super focused in on gaming IMO, and it suffers when you try to do anything else. The sweet spot is small, if the headset isn't secured you will see IQ problems. A strap/mod is recommended for either headset. As a Quest 2 user you most likely very well aware of that. But the Quest 3 just looks totally in focus everywhere all the time, and the PSVR2 is definitely not that.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I have a Quest 3 with pancake lenses and compared to that the PSVR2 is bad outside of gaming. The thing with gaming is that your peripheral vision is blurry to some extent anyway, so for gaming I think the PSVR2 can look better. But playing movies/flat games/virtual desktop etc? Awful. The clarity of content near the edges suffers in like a dozen ways.

But in gaming you are generally focused in on the center of the screen, and you can just turn your body/head to keep looking at the center of the screen while your camera/view turns. So as long as your view is focused on the center of the screen - where the sweet spot is, it looks very sharp.

The OLED+HDR is amazing. That's undeniable, the colors compared to the Quest 3 are day and night better. The controllers are great. Everything else sucks. So the strength of the PSVR2 is super focused in on gaming IMO, and it suffers when you try to do anything else. The sweet spot is small, if the headset isn't secured you will see IQ problems. A strap/mod is recommended for either headset. As a Quest 2 user you most likely very well aware of that. But the Quest 3 just looks totally in focus everywhere all the time, and the PSVR2 is definitely not that.
I upgraded to a Quest 3 at launch, so for this reason I was worried about a negative comparison I would naturally make. I owned an OG Quest as well, so I am familiar with the benefits of an OLED in VR, it really is transformative. Many times in VR you find yourself in dark environments, and my biggest gripe of the 3 has to do with the lack of detail in dark scenes. I imagine the PSVR2 excells in this area.

Would you say that you can still notice the benefits of HDR when the brightness of the display is lowered? Do you have any issues stemming from the reproduction technique Sony uses? I am trying to determine if the discussion around it is overblown by potential haters.

Minsc

Gold Member
I upgraded to a Quest 3 at launch, so for this reason I was worried about a negative comparison I would naturally make. I owned an OG Quest as well, so I am familiar with the benefits of an OLED in VR, it really is transformative. Many times in VR you find yourself in dark environments, and my biggest gripe of the 3 has to do with the lack of detail in dark scenes. I imagine the PSVR2 excells in this area.

Would you say that you can still notice the benefits of HDR when the brightness of the display is lowered? Do you have any issues stemming from the reproduction technique Sony uses? I am trying to determine if the discussion around it is overblown by potential haters.

I find dark environments to be overall great. Stuff like Synth RIders opening on the black logo and other dark areas like in Village look great. It's OLED so it is lit per pixel, you're getting really the most incredible contrast of any headset on the market with the HDR on top. Sunsets, strong lights and flashbombs can be blinding, literally.

Really there's just no way to be disappointed with the colors, it's the strongest part of the headset. I lower my brightness to around 70% and it's still damn bright. Some people are crazy and go close to 0% to get right of some mura, but I think that looks horrible. I don't mind the mura normally, like it's there in a lot of games, the neutral/gray/shadows (not blacks though, those are pitch black perfect) are the worst, and it's really bad at rare points, but overall fairly ignorable. I definitely forget about it for the most part. But Quest 3 basically doesn't have any ever. Still, the blacks are worth it.

I really don't mind the reprojection at all myself. RE Village uses it, and IMO it looks great. I can move my head and the screen redraws at ~120fps with the reprojection, and I think it looks great. I get no after-image or whatever. And moving with the analog in game is great as well - I use no handicaps in VR now, and it's glorious. But I have no complaints at all about the 60>120 reprojection, finished the entire game of Village, and it is incredible.

There's the horror section where you're in pitch black and it's terrifying as hell, but overall the game is not really that scary, but cool as hell in VR.

I haven't played AC Nexus, but I've read that and other on Quest use 45>90 reprojection, which I imagine is a bit worse than 60>120. And people still seem to overall enjoy Nexus.

If you plan on playing RE8 & RE4 and some of the other good games/exclusives, I don't think there's anyway you'd regret it. Outside comfort or tracking issues both which can be solved for the most part if necessary. If you have no interest in most of the exclusives, then you may.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I find dark environments to be overall great. Stuff like Synth RIders opening on the black logo and other dark areas like in Village look great. It's OLED so it is lit per pixel, you're getting really the most incredible contrast of any headset on the market with the HDR on top. Sunsets, strong lights and flashbombs can be blinding, literally.

Really there's just no way to be disappointed with the colors, it's the strongest part of the headset. I lower my brightness to around 70% and it's still damn bright. Some people are crazy and go close to 0% to get right of some mura, but I think that looks horrible. I don't mind the mura normally, like it's there in a lot of games, the neutral/gray/shadows (not blacks though, those are pitch black perfect) are the worst, and it's really bad at rare points, but overall fairly ignorable. I definitely forget about it for the most part. But Quest 3 basically doesn't have any ever. Still, the blacks are worth it.

I really don't mind the reprojection at all myself. RE Village uses it, and IMO it looks great. I can move my head and the screen redraws at ~120fps with the reprojection, and I think it looks great. I get no after-image or whatever. And moving with the analog in game is great as well - I use no handicaps in VR now, and it's glorious. But I have no complaints at all about the 60>120 reprojection, finished the entire game of Village, and it is incredible.

There's the horror section where you're in pitch black and it's terrifying as hell, but overall the game is not really that scary, but cool as hell in VR.

I haven't played AC Nexus, but I've read that and other on Quest use 45>90 reprojection, which I imagine is a bit worse than 60>120. And people still seem to overall enjoy Nexus.

If you plan on playing RE8 & RE4 and some of the other good games/exclusives, I don't think there's anyway you'd regret it. Outside comfort or tracking issues both which can be solved for the most part if necessary. If you have no interest in most of the exclusives, then you may.
Considering it would be primarily focused on gaming (as I have a Quest 3 for the other stuff), I think I'm going to jump in. I agree that 60-120 would most likely be cleaner than 45-90. In saying that, after more time with Nexus, I am not a fan of Ubisofts implementation of space warp. I would rather native 72hz with lower resolution.

After playing RE4 on the Quest, I am really looking forward to RE8. I'm also hoping for a God of War spin off. I imagine throwing that axe around would be awesome.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

I palying using around 70% of brightnes and hdr in night driving in gt7 is just awsome (you have feeling of photrealism when car behind light your car interior and car lights can "blind" you), reprojection is indeed noticable and would prefer more games target 90fps native.

Last edited:
Top Bottom