• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

XXL

So I'm finally seriously considering getting a PS5 & PSVR2. I have a question to VR enthusiasts that have experience with other headsets and a PSVR2. I see many claims about the poorly implemented reproduction techniques that Sony uses in VR. Is it as really bad as claimed compared to Quest 2 and Quest 3? Is the frenel lense solution better or worse than a Quest 2 implementation? I'm not to worried about the mura, as I know that it be corrected by lowering the brightness (I run my Quest 3 and near lowest brightness settings.)

I know the answer is very subjective, and if you have only have ever used PSVR2, you may not know the difference, that's why I'm looking for people with experience with other headsets. I appreciate any anecdotal experiences.

Edit: for background of where these questions come from. I see many youtubers gushing over the clarity and IQ of games such as Horizon, GT7, and Kayak. Then I go to some channels with more of a singular focus on VR and they shit all over it. The comments are filled with people expressing their disappointment with the issues I listed above. So I'm kind of at a lost on who I should be putting stock into their assessment of the headset.
I own the Quest 2 and PSVR2.

I haven't tried Quest 3 yet.

PSVR2 is a much better headset than Quest 2 and alot of the criticism on YouTube is extremely blown out of proportion.

The IQ is great, but no its doesn't look as good as a flat-screen version, but it's not a super wide gap by any means (most of the time) and it honestly doesn't matter, the immersion trumps the high-end fidelity of a flat-screen game... always.

Re-projection is fine, but game's the don't use it play more smoothly, the best comparison would be flat-screen games running at 60fps vs 120fps.

There is a alot of great software. For example, alot of my personal GOTYS are on PSVR2.

My GOTY is BG3, but what follows are all PSVR2 titles. Red Matter 1/2, GT7 and Pavlov (for TTT).

Is an absolutely amazing and unappreciated device that alot of people are sleeping on, in my opinion.

SilentUser

So I'm finally seriously considering getting a PS5 & PSVR2. I have a question to VR enthusiasts that have experience with other headsets and a PSVR2. I see many claims about the poorly implemented reproduction techniques that Sony uses in VR. Is it as really bad as claimed compared to Quest 2 and Quest 3? Is the frenel lense solution better or worse than a Quest 2 implementation? I'm not to worried about the mura, as I know that it be corrected by lowering the brightness (I run my Quest 3 and near lowest brightness settings.)

I know the answer is very subjective, and if you have only have ever used PSVR2, you may not know the difference, that's why I'm looking for people with experience with other headsets. I appreciate any anecdotal experiences.

Edit: for background of where these questions come from. I see many youtubers gushing over the clarity and IQ of games such as Horizon, GT7, and Kayak. Then I go to some channels with more of a singular focus on VR and they shit all over it. The comments are filled with people expressing their disappointment with the issues I listed above. So I'm kind of at a lost on who I should be putting stock into their assessment of the headset.
I'm not a fan of reprojection at all, wish more devs went for 90hz. Same goes for Meta's solution. They are both really noticeable, though some games are less obvious than others.
The IQ can be a hit or a miss, but games like Red Matter and Synapse show us how great the IQ can be! It will depend on devs by the end of the day. Heck, even NMS is cool now, the eye tracking foveated rendering is doing wonders for that game. The hardware is certainly great.
I think you might be really annoyed by the sweet spot, as it is really small. I'm very used to it, but it is PSVR2's weakest point, imo. Mura is honestly not a problem in the majority of the games, might even say the devs are beind able to actually avoid it. Synapse, for example, should be filled with mura but there isn't any. Maybe it has something to do with a very specific color triggering it?
Eye tracking, haptics, adaptive triggers and headset rumble are honestly awesome. Sony really set them apart here! Even a simple game like Galaxy Kart implemented a very cool headset rumble when you pass through a crate.
And now, games... Man, I'm still loving playing PSVR2 games as much as when I bought the headset. Some of my favorites are Village, Demeo, Synapse, NMS, Horizon, Moss, Red Matter 2, Switchback, Ghost Signal :)
Hopefully you will also have a great time with the PSVR2 if you buy it!

Autofokus

When it comes to reprojection it depends on a game-to-game basis. Some are fine, others look & feel terrible. Metas Solution could be in general the better one, thats at least what other people are saying. But in my experience (Quest 3 & PSVR2) they are equally awful if not implemented right (whatever that is, I have no clue about the dev side of things).

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I'm not a fan of reprojection at all, wish more devs went for 90hz. Same goes for Meta's solution. They are both really noticeable, though some games are less obvious than others.
The IQ can be a hit or a miss, but games like Red Matter and Synapse show us how great the IQ can be! It will depend on devs by the end of the day. Heck, even NMS is cool now, the eye tracking foveated rendering is doing wonders for that game. The hardware is certainly great.
I think you might be really annoyed by the sweet spot, as it is really small. I'm very used to it, but it is PSVR2's weakest point, imo. Mura is honestly not a problem in the majority of the games, might even say the devs are beind able to actually avoid it. Synapse, for example, should be filled with mura but there isn't any. Maybe it has something to do with a very specific color triggering it?
Eye tracking, haptics, adaptive triggers and headset rumble are honestly awesome. Sony really set them apart here! Even a simple game like Galaxy Kart implemented a very cool headset rumble when you pass through a crate.
And now, games... Man, I'm still loving playing PSVR2 games as much as when I bought the headset. Some of my favorites are Village, Demeo, Synapse, NMS, Horizon, Moss, Red Matter 2, Switchback, Ghost Signal :)
Hopefully you will also have a great time with the PSVR2 if you buy it!
I have nearly 200hrs into NMS on my Xbox, so you could say I am a fan. I remember buying the PS version after getting my PSVR1 and holy shit, it was like trying to look through soup. I'm excited to see the game in PSVR2.

Question: I know the PSVR2 is not backwards compatible with PSVR1. How does that work with NMS? Is it a native PSVR2 build that gets installed?

Markio128

Gold Member
I have nearly 200hrs into NMS on my Xbox, so you could say I am a fan. I remember buying the PS version after getting my PSVR1 and holy shit, it was like trying to look through soup. I'm excited to see the game in PSVR2.

Question: I know the PSVR2 is not backwards compatible with PSVR1. How does that work with NMS? Is it a native PSVR2 build that gets installed?
Yes, it’s a native PS5 version.

Minsc

Gold Member

The game looked like shit on PSVR2 as well, until they patched it a while back with forveated rendering. Now it's fairly respectable (in general, way better in comparison), but even at a million res I still think it doesn't look as good as Mass Effect or anything. Now that would be something else to play through in VR.

SilentUser

Yep, PS5 native. And man, it was sooo bad prior to the introduction of the eye tracking. Now, even though it is the sharpest or prettiest PSVR2 title, it is pretty cool, even made me play the game again for quite a bit!

SilentUser

Beyond Vertigo 2, I guess we are getting release dates for Madison VR and Mixture (didnt know this one was coming to the PSVR2).

R6Rider

Gold Member
New Capcom trailer!

Its Beautiful Reaction GIF

There it is! Damn, so excited! Going to be a crazy ride!

You ready for this?!!
Absolutely. I've actually been avoiding VR for about 2 weeks now. 4th quarter at work and things are good but I carry all my stress in my neck/shoulders and I'm just too tense to be playing VR, trying to unwind, etc so I can be ready for AS2, Vertigo 2, RE4.

I still need to finish Cactus Cowboy and haven't even touched Vampire yet. Gotta test the patch for Foglands as well, that rolled out yesterday. Too many games dude, so hard to keep up. 🫠

Romulus

Not sure if its really that bad or a development build but both Beardo and GamertagVR mentioned noticeable reprojection for the psvr2 version. I have to get the PSVR2 version because I promised a friend a coop run so hopefully its not as bad.

FunkMiller

Sounds like Arizona Sunshine 2 is another shallow AF, average game to add to the 7 out of 10 pile, then.

Sigh.

This format/headset needs some creative, original and boundary pushing bangers... yesterday.

Minsc

Gold Member
Vertigo 2 should be quite nice, and we had 7th Guest VR last month, that Hotel horror game was also quite good last month too. This week is RE4 Remake which is not to miss imo.

It does seem like quite a few of the promising unknown games turn in to disappointments in VR. It's not exactly like they'll turn in to a surprise Baldur's Gate 3 level of content, but sure would be nice to see games with more to them than just one or two gimmicks.

And Arashi sounds like a lazy port with several issues and subtle improvements. Yeah, I'll definitely get Arizona 2 and Arashi whenever we get a big sale.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Big month for PS VR 2. The software library is improving nicely. Need more "must-have" and AAA titles, though.

I wonder if Sony will have at least one big first- or third-party PS VR 2 game for The Game Awards to prop up those holiday peripheral sales.

I picked up Waltz of the Wizard, it's only $20 and the CEO of the studio made a post on X, basically saying that free speech is important and that people should support X so it isn't reliant on advertiser dollars alone. Reading that was an instant purchase for me, I haven't played it yet but it's supposed to be great and the local coop mode could be something fun for the wife and I.

I read a review for AS2 and the reviewer mentioned numerous bugs/crashes. Curious if that will be an issue for the actual release? Plan on getting it regardless for coop purposes.

Busy busy month for gaming. I'm still taking a break due to neck pain but I'll be on this weekend for RE4.

I plan on getting Castles too and the other big releases, will share some thoughts when I get around to playing the more "questionable" releases. I honestly do not trust the big VR reviewers at all anymore and outright avoid them. I don't give a pass to games but I also don't like to roast games for the sake of roasting them. I've played numerous games that have plenty of redeeming qualities and reviews for them are just absolutely Pitchfork style hyperbole to me. To each their own but I just can't find the energy to be that harsh towards most games. The game I could roast the easiest is Journey to Foundation and that game was getting lots of praise so I dunno, lol.

Last edited:

NoobSmog

fart town usa fart town usa Got around to playing organ quarter, pretty good game! I figured it might be inspired by silent hill just looking at it, but playing through it, wow that was heavily inspired by it. Not bad at all for such a small team making it.

side note: I walked forward into that spinning room near the beginning and that was the most motion sick I have ever gotten in VR :messenger_grinning_sweat:.

fart town usa fart town usa Got around to playing organ quarter, pretty good game! I figured it might be inspired by silent hill just looking at it, but playing through it, wow that was heavily inspired by it. Not bad at all for such a small team making it.

side note: I walked forward into that spinning room near the beginning and that was the most motion sick I have ever gotten in VR :messenger_grinning_sweat:.
Right on. I can definitely see that room being a trigger point for motion sickness, that's really the only time the game goes that hard with an effect like that. Movement is also relatively slow and can feel jarring to me when I start new playthroughs, I adjust quickly though.

It's such a charming game to me, a somewhat early (2017) PCVR low budget game made by 3 people, effectively 1 guy though. Considering the production of the game, I think the team absolutely nailed it. Lots of heart and great game design for a first-time studio.

Same team has been working on a chibi-style Soulslike. It's in early access on steam, I got it to show support and it's actually really solid, not a finished product yet though. I think it's called Guilt: The Deathless, or Death: the Guiltless, always get the name confused.

I really hope this game has a clean launch. So many titles have fallen short at launch with bugs, bad performance, etc.
Seriously if this comes out broken it's going to be very disappointing. I'm currently playing AC on the Quest 3 and Asgard's Wrath 2 is coming out soon, but psvr 2 has vertigo 2 and RE 4 and it better be good!

The game looked like shit on PSVR2 as well, until they patched it a while back with forveated rendering. Now it's fairly respectable (in general, way better in comparison), but even at a million res I still think it doesn't look as good as Mass Effect or anything. Now that would be something else to play through in VR.
The difference in IQ after foveated rendering was so vast, it's a scam that it was ever released without.

It looks like a completely different generation version.

Top Bottom