• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Yerd

I tried a couple different methods of flying in No Man's Sky with this headset and I find it unplayable. At least the flying controls. I want to like it but the controls are god awful. They have you mimicking a HOTAS control with your vr controllers and there is no remapping options. Turning is 10x slower, there is apparently an option to use an auto pilot to lock on to your target, which I have used on a gamepad in normal NMS, and it would make it work. But there is no buttons available and the default button has an error symbol instead of whatever button could be used. The controllers don't have enough buttons I guess.

It doesn't help that my game is saved in a system that is aggressive with pirates and they just keep jumping in and see that I have a stack of crap worth 150million units. It took everything I had in me to get into a space station to avoid attacks.

Won't be playing in VR again until they update their controls.

Watch some Jammyhero videos. He usually has a promo code to save you some money on a particular brand of VR lenses. He's a pretty responsible/reliable VR channel.
Thanks, the site that sponsors him is the one that I was first lead to, as it happens.

I tried a couple different methods of flying in No Man's Sky with this headset and I find it unplayable. At least the flying controls. I want to like it but the controls are god awful. They have you mimicking a HOTAS control with your vr controllers and there is no remapping options. Turning is 10x slower, there is apparently an option to use an auto pilot to lock on to your target, which I have used on a gamepad in normal NMS, and it would make it work. But there is no buttons available and the default button has an error symbol instead of whatever button could be used. The controllers don't have enough buttons I guess.

It doesn't help that my game is saved in a system that is aggressive with pirates and they just keep jumping in and see that I have a stack of crap worth 150million units. It took everything I had in me to get into a space station to avoid attacks.

Thanks, the site that sponsors him is the one that I was first lead to, as it happens.
I remember people saying that about the virtual hotas when the DFR patch dropped a few months back. I own it but too daunting for me to jump into. I did start a new game but it crashed like 5 mins in and I took it as a sign to move on and come back when I'm mentally ready for it, lol.

Last edited:
I’ve been out of the loop a bit recently due to my crazy, leg humping hound. What are the recommendations for VR games over the last 3-4 months? I’m mostly interested in sit down games atm so it doesn’t disturb the mutt.
Definitely Genotype. Finally got around to it the other night and man, game is impressive as F so far. Native 120 and DFR. First person Metroidvania with a touch of survival horror inventory management/atmosphere. Sci-fi antarctic setting.

SilentUser

You can pilot your spaceship with the Dualsense. PS5 allows you to have the sense controllers + a dualsense connected at the same time, so you can actually just grab the dualsense and use it to fly your spaceship.

Though I must say I still use the VR controllers while piloting my spaceship, specially after I found out you can hold a button (X?) to auto aim at an enemy. Yeah, I'm lazy lol, but those pirates can be truly annoying some times.

ABnormal

You can pilot your spaceship with the Dualsense. PS5 allows you to have the sense controllers + a dualsense connected at the same time, so you can actually just grab the dualsense and use it to fly your spaceship.
Really?? That would be enough, for me. Did you try it to see if it works?

SilentUser

Really?? That would be enough, for me. Did you try it to see if it works?
Yep, I tried. You don't even need to disable your sense controllers, you just used them both at the same time. Actually, you can't even turn sense controllers off 😅. I used to put dualsense on my lap and grab when I got inside the cockpit. Now, though, I just use the sense controllers as I got fairly used to it.

Last edited:

SilentUser

I’ve been out of the loop a bit recently due to my crazy, leg humping hound. What are the recommendations for VR games over the last 3-4 months? I’m mostly interested in sit down games atm so it doesn’t disturb the mutt.
Perhaps Sushi Ben might interest you. It is a very chill, sweet and good looking anime-like adventure (dunno if this game could be classified as an adventure 😅).

ABnormal

Yep, I tried. You don't even need to disable your sense controllers, you just used them both at the same time. Actually, you can't even turn sense controllers off 😅. I used to put dualsense on my lap and grab when I got inside the cockpit. Now, though, I just use the sense controllers as I got fairly used to it.
One more question: does the Dualsense need to be already on when switching from VR controllers to it, or I can turn it on the moment I need it?

Holy shit, I just tried the PC adapter. The controllers seems to work great with the onboard Bluetooth device on my motherboard, phew.

Everything looks absolutely amazing. Big difference from running PSVR2 on the PS5. I also seem to hardly get any motion sickness in comparison.

After using it for about an hour, I'm extremely impressed so far.

Last edited:

Yerd

Holy shit, I just tried the PC adapter. The controllers seems to work great with the onboard Bluetooth device on my motherboard, phew.

Everything looks absolutely amazing. Big difference from running PSVR2 on the PS5. I also seem to hardly get any motion sickness in comparison.

After using it for about an hour, I'm extremely impressed so far.
I think motion sickness depends on the game.

Everything I have tried so far has not affected me. The first time I booted up NMS in VR the load screen where you are just floating through space, it didn't make me sick, but I felt...something. I started to understand people that complain of nausea.

I think motion sickness depends on the game.

Everything I have tried so far has not affected me. The first time I booted up NMS in VR the load screen where you are just floating through space, it didn't make me sick, but I felt...something. I started to understand people that complain of nausea.
Sure, it depends on the game and the kind of movement etc. But on the PS5 every game I've ever tried has made me at least somewhat motion sick (at least initially) and I seem to be faring much better overall on PC.

Yerd

Though I must say I still use the VR controllers while piloting my spaceship, specially after I found out you can hold a button (X?) to auto aim at an enemy. Yeah, I'm lazy lol, but those pirates can be truly annoying some times.

I'm playing NMS on pc so I had to give it another shot. It did work with a dualsense to pilot the ship, but if you hit the pause menu, the controller doesn't function in the menus. On PC you can only use dualsense wired too.

lol.

I asked AI to create "kevin from home alone wearing a psvr2 headset while screaming"

2DA2ZIJ.jpeg

I bought it yesterday along with 3 other vr 2 games. The analysts who say that the game is not good are pure lies... It looks good, at the beginning it's a cutscene... But then the game looks good and it's fun... As far as I've been playing it.

I ended up getting this yesterday, after I realized thet I had enough PS Rewards points to add $35 to my wallet. I figure it'll be a good game for friends to try during the Halloween season.

Played a bit last night and wow, it looks really good in the headset. Easily one of the most AAA looking games for PSVR2.

The 3D audio was damn effective too, I booted it up around 1AM, and I play VR in a relatively creepy basement. I had to dip out after some evil lady whispered into my ear. Felt like she as standing right behind me and nope nope nope. Lol.

Last edited:

Crayon

Damn. Fucked myself up a bit last night. It was late and I really needed a distraction so I thought I would throw in the headset and take a look at the nms updates. You know... Just for a minute.

Eventually, I notice the picture getting blurry. Wiggled around the headset. Same. Then I went to double check the alignment screen and I saw it was 3:30 in the morning. It was my eyes getting blurry.

Hey all my troubles were far away for several hours there. :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

Yerd

I saw you guys yip yapping about the CMP2 thing, I looked at it and determined I don't want more weight on the headset. It's a lightweight headset and it's comfortable on my head unlike other headsets I have tried before it.

After an hour or 2 long session I realized that the visor part actually falls based on it's own weight. No matter what position I place it in, it's never going to keep the sweet spot. So, I decided to order that damn thing.

Also got a floor mat. CMP2 takes a week or more no matter where you order it, seems like. It's on amazon so I used my points, so I feel like I'm getting it for free.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm trying to figure out if my headset is faulty (been an issue since day one) so I have one question for those of you who have played The Light Brigade....

When you are aiming a two-handed weapon (rifle) can you effectively use the iron sights? Like, are they stable? Because I can be still as a statue and my sights are bouncing all over, pretty close to unusable. Quite frustrating tbh.

But a lot of games seem to work pretty good as far as tracking... it's confusing.

sncvsrtoip

I saw you guys yip yapping about the CMP2 thing, I looked at it and determined I don't want more weight on the headset. It's a lightweight headset and it's comfortable on my head unlike other headsets I have tried before it.

After an hour or 2 long session I realized that the visor part actually falls based on it's own weight. No matter what position I place it in, it's never going to keep the sweet spot. So, I decided to order that damn thing.

Also got a floor mat. CMP2 takes a week or more no matter where you order it, seems like. It's on amazon so I used my points, so I feel like I'm getting it for free.
I use mixed cmp2 with studioform comfort kit so its also an option tough little expensive ;)

Last edited:

SilentUser

I'm trying to figure out if my headset is faulty (been an issue since day one) so I have one question for those of you who have played The Light Brigade....

When you are aiming a two-handed weapon (rifle) can you effectively use the iron sights? Like, are they stable? Because I can be still as a statue and my sights are bouncing all over, pretty close to unusable. Quite frustrating tbh.

But a lot of games seem to work pretty good as far as tracking... it's confusing.
It's been a long time since I played, but, iirc, it was basically impossible to use. I'm under the impression that they (the devs) could not fix it. My memory is faulty, though 😬

Crayon

I've never seen that thing. I'd like to try it out.

There's no way to get around slipping down without some sort of counter balance and that goes for any headset. I did some experiments with weights. I collect... materials. So I can whip things up fast.

A solution that didn't add too much weight was 4 aa batteries. Those are held about two inches away from the back strap with high density foam standoffs. This gave the counterweight more leverage. It works without adding a ton of weight. The downside is that turning you head quick makes more inertia. The headset doesn't actually slip sideways out of place but a really quick head turn can make it wobble.

Anyway, the way you put it on can make such a huge difference. You can put it on way down low or really high and still get it aligned. It's a big range and all of them feel ergonomic. The issue is some of these positions hold on better than others.

After 4 days with the thing, I thought I had got it. It was like two weeks later I realized that I could wear it way differently and still get the sweet spot. And it worked so much better. Either way, I'm occasionally touching the thing to put is up a bit. Not that different from wearing glasses, really. With the position I put it on now though, I do that less.

As headset straps go, it's a good one. It's convenient to take on and off and it's comfortable for long sessions. Still trying to strap a brick to your face, though. It's a losing battle until VR headsets get much, much, smaller. Like the Bigscreen one.

Rudius

Damn!
I haven't watched any reviews of the adapter because I've sold my PSVR2 just few weeks ago.
Now watched the reviews I kinda want to sell my Quest 3 and buy PSVR2 again because I'm using my Quest 3 only for PC gaming and it's still pain in the ass. I'm also playing only seated so cable doesn't worry me at all.
PSVR2 have all the benefits I want from VR headset (versus Quest 3):
- Lighter
- Much brighter
- Perfect blacks
- Higher FOV (both horizontal and vertical
- Lossless, uncompressed picture without artifacts and banding
- Higher performance and much lower VRAM usage vs Quest 3 (due Display Port connection)
- Very good headstrap compared to any PCVR headset. (it's completely dark inside headset and it have many adjustments)

Lack of HDR is upsetting a bit BUT - we have zero HDR VR games and It's OLED so you kinda forget about it.
Lack of foveated rendering doesn't bother me too - we are on PC with those monster GPU's.
Lack of haptics THANK GOD - it's a most gimmickey gimmick from all gimmicks to me.
Could you provide more details about the vram usage? How much difference in that regard?

Could you provide more details about the vram usage? How much difference in that regard?
It depends on render resolution on Quest 2/3 that you choose from the control panel (where you select refresh rate). At maximum resolution, when you just start Meta Link (home) it consumes about 5GB of VRAM already.
At normal resolution (1x supersampling) more than 2GBs. That's why games work like they do at high texture settings - it's not about GPU power but GPU goes straight out of VRAM and you see tons of hicckups and stalls.
8GB GPU's have a very hard time with Quest 2/3.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
on the topic of maintaining a sweet spot (my PSVR2 is stock) I randomly turned my hat around backwards the other day to quickly check something in VR and realized the headset was super stable on my head. The brim of the hat held the rear tightener in place without having to crank it down and also seemed to take some of the weight, and the front didn’t move all either. I guess that little bit of material stabilized everything (and let me tighten it down a bit more without any discomfort). Thing didn’t budge. Been using it ever since lol.

I will sell a new VR Headset accessory… the backwards hat. Hmm, I wonder if I can patent this amazing new product…

Rudius

I see. VR youtubers don't comment about since many run 3090 and 4090 with more than enough vram to spare, but a 4070 super, as powerful as a 3090, could struggle with half the vram.

whatup

Bought the PC converter and... it works really really well? Finally able to play Half Life Alyx and it looks and plays sick. The immersiveness is unlike anything else I've experienced in VR. Even my wife, who about as far from a gamer as you can imagine, is super into it / totally blown away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom