• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Three

It came in the Post today... it works... I can play Superhot VR again... I am fucking sweaty from the test session... love that game... fuck, the right controller has hickups with the room position, even though I got one of the BT-Dongles Sony themselves told, would be fine... always something else...
The controller tracking isn't done via Bluetooth. It's done via infrared lights on the control tracked on the cameras of the headset. Make sure you don't have any bright lights on that side like a window or bulb and don't obstruct the 4 cameras when moving your arms about.

The controller tracking isn't done via Bluetooth. It's done via infrared lights on the control tracked on the cameras of the headset. Make sure you don't have any bright lights on that side like a window or bulb and don't obstruct the 4 cameras when moving your arms about.
Good call, overly bright lights, or a room not lit well enough, can cause tracking issues. I don't think it's too sensitive but can definitely be a factor when it comes to tracking issues.

Fun how it's opposite for PSVR. Being forced to play RE7 in a dark Michigan basement, hearing my wife's footsteps on the floor above as Jack stalks me in the Baker Estate. Effing terrifying! Lol

Damn!
I haven't watched any reviews of the adapter because I've sold my PSVR2 just few weeks ago.
Now watched the reviews I kinda want to sell my Quest 3 and buy PSVR2 again because I'm using my Quest 3 only for PC gaming and it's still pain in the ass. I'm also playing only seated so cable doesn't worry me at all.
PSVR2 have all the benefits I want from VR headset (versus Quest 3):
- Lighter
- Much brighter
- Perfect blacks
- Higher FOV (both horizontal and vertical
- Lossless, uncompressed picture without artifacts and banding
- Higher performance and much lower VRAM usage vs Quest 3 (due Display Port connection)
- Very good headstrap compared to any PCVR headset. (it's completely dark inside headset and it have many adjustments)

Lack of HDR is upsetting a bit BUT - we have zero HDR VR games and It's OLED so you kinda forget about it.
Lack of foveated rendering doesn't bother me too - we are on PC with those monster GPU's.
Lack of haptics THANK GOD - it's a most gimmickey gimmick from all gimmicks to me.

Last edited:
Posted this in the FFXIV thread but figured it'd be good to post here as well: the XIV VR mod is no longer in development because Dawntrail (the latest expansion) basically broke the mod with its graphic update.

So yeah, sad news but hopefully it'll be picked up again in the future with more powerful hardware and/or performance improvements...

Edit: Oops, I meant to post this in the PC adapter thread... oh well.

Last edited:
Lack of HDR is upsetting a bit BUT - we have zero HDR VR games and It's OLED so you kinda forget about it.
Lack of foveated rendering doesn't bother me too - we are on PC with those monster GPU's.
Lack of haptics THANK GOD - it's a most gimmickey gimmick from all gimmicks to me.
That's really surprising to me. I figured it was a given that PCVR would have HDR. I mean shit, maybe PSN games don't even utilize it, I honestly have no idea.

I picked up Genotype, Jurassic Park, and D-Day today.

Genotype is the one I actually want to play. JP is normally $30 but $8.99 with PS+, figure it might be a fun spectacle-style VR game, not expecting much for gameplay. D-Day is cheap as hell, $5 standard price, figure it'll make for a fun few hours and helps support a small developer. Just not into dedicated MP but it looks like the real deal for an indie Battlefield 1942 style experience.

Been a lot of great sales lately.

I did a stream that focused on Foglands OST. I swear I'm not trying to force this game on anyone, lol. It's just so passed over and no one played it, so many good things about it, just wanted to share. The OST is so damn good. Clearly inspired by The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly but it combines so many aspects of electronic music. edit- Oh wow, it's the same composer for Kena: Bridge of Spirits. Theophany Bandcamp

Level 2 - The Barrows

Combat Music

First Boss

Leona's Theme

Last edited:
I am not sure it is lighting related as my controller tracking issue depends on which one I turn on first. It is always the first controller I turn on that gets stuck in 3d space. Makes me think it is a sofware issue and not a lighting or BT issue.

Last edited:
That's really surprising to me. I figured it was a given that PCVR would have HDR. I mean shit, maybe PSN games don't even utilize it, I honestly have no idea.
Only PS5 VR games support HDR. No PC VR games that supports HDR and it will be like that for a long time.
Good news is that OLED gives you unlimited contrast which still utilises the headset maximum and minimum brightness. So you won't loose that much if anything.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Posted this in the FFXIV thread but figured it'd be good to post here as well: the XIV VR mod is no longer in development because Dawntrail (the latest expansion) basically broke the mod with its graphic update.

So yeah, sad news but hopefully it'll be picked up again in the future with more powerful hardware and/or performance improvements...

Edit: Oops, I meant to post this in the PC adapter thread... oh well.
I'm not an active FFXIV player anymore but I tested the VR mod during the latest free login campaign, and it was incredible being inside that world. It wasn't perfect, though, there was this odd (very slight) camera tilting when I moved my head to look around, it was less noticeable at higher framerates but it was never really gone.

Booted up Genotype so see what it's like. Game looks great in the headset and it allows you to be super quick. I love that. No jump which is a damn shame but the movement speed makes up for it. I can tell I'm going to really enjoy it. Was giving me a Half-Life vibe. Voice work so far is solid.

I am not sure it is lighting related as my controller tracking issue depends on which one I turn on first. It is always the first controller I turn on that gets stuck in 3d space. Makes me think it is a sofware issue and not a lighting or BT issue.
I had this issue when using the TP-Link adapter. Went back to the on my motherboard and it stopped but there is an ever so slight increase to latency, barely noticeable but it's there. However, I'd rather the slight latency than tracking not working.

Yerd

Does anyone have a link to an OEM replacement for the face gasket? I am having the hardest time finding one that is not a completely different design. I want to cut the nose flaps off of mine because they end up itching my nose like crazy after an extended session. I won't do it until I can replace it if it turns out to be a horrible mistake.

Dead Hook is dope as F so far, it's always on sale too. I just got it for $12 and it looks good in the headset, the movement is awesome. Super quick and gesture based so be mindful of the cord, I yanked mine out twice just now :messenger_expressionless: . It's like Synapse in that it's small arenas and you gotta clear all enemies out. You have two chain hooks though, no jump. So you're just flying around the arena with a hookshot in one hand and your gun in the other. All the while Doom style music is playing. Super fast and fluid.

I need to finish some campaign based games first but I think Dead Hook will be my next favorite roguelike. Don't sleep on this one if you want some fast paced VR.

About to try out Stilt, just testing some of these games I've recently bought. Footage looks awesome on YT, seems like the 3D platformer I've been wanting in VR.

Had no idea that Alien Isolation on PS4 uses the camera for headtracking and mic for breathing sounds. I may have to try that. Not sure if it would work with PSVR2 but it might if you happen to have the PS4 camera.
oGs9ddA.jpeg

SilentUser

Been playing NMS a lot lately and yes while it looks better than ever, downright jaw dropping at times, the frame rate is worse than before. Hopefully this can be optimized in the next patch.
You are absolutely right: had some free time and played more of NMS. The frame rate went south in some planets lmao, some places were unplayable. Hopefully they won't take long to patch it. Many other planets were fine, though.

TheMan

As someone with a weaker system (2070s, Ryzan 3700) I have to say I'm disappointed. When I play on PC I mainly play sims like DCS. Unfortunately, in order to get passable (not good) framerates with PSVR, I have to lower the resolution so much that the text on the MFDs looks worse than with my Rift S. Also, when playing on PS5 I guess I never realized how small the sweet spot is on PSVR2 compared to even the RIft S.

Haint

The adapter/software is half baked as fuck and the Bluetooth issues/situation is a clownshow, but wow do these displays shit all over Quest 3, Index, Rift S, etc... from a great height. Legitimate quantum leap over the garbage tier LCD's in all the other mainstream PCVR HMD's, they're legitimately 3-5x brighter.

Minsc

Gold Member
The adapter/software is half baked as fuck and the Bluetooth issues/situation is a clownshow, but wow do these displays shit all over Quest 3, Index, Rift S, etc... from a great height. Legitimate quantum leap over the garbage tier LCD's in all the other mainstream PCVR HMD's, they're legitimately 3-5x brighter.

Yeah, I agree, the colors and immersion are no comparison. If they put an OLED screen in the Quest 4 w/ pancake lens and I'd never touch this thing again though, that device just works so much better for me in every other aspect.

When I go back to the Quest 3 it's really amazing how much clearer the entire FOV is with that headset, there's so much distortion on the PSVR2 when you need to focus on the edges of the FOV (like for using Virtual Desktop).

Last edited:
Genotype is a certified banger. Lots of people are calling it a Metroidvania and I can see that in a sense but so far it's your standard find a key to progress, lots of backtracking, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that, the game has done an amazing job of it so far.

However, the thing I haven't seen people say is how the game has some great classic-era Survival Horror mechanics. Sparse save points, only 8 inventory slots, resource management. Tons of files to read. Voice acting is really solid. Great ambient sci-fi music. It keeps you on edge a bit too, not scary by any means, art style is kind of cartoonish but the atmosphere is effective all the same.

Classic-era RE always displayed Metroidvania aspects and Genotype is a fantastic blend of the two genres. It's quite challenging as well. I died a number of times in the first few minutes but mostly due to getting a feel for things. The enemies have incredibly small hit boxes but the game is so damn quick and smooth that dodging projectiles and timing attacks for damage feels incredibly good. I can't stress enough how well this game controls. Granted, I have my movement speed maxed out at 150 and camera speed maxes out at 200, I have it at 175. So if you were playing slower it might not feel as good and might be even more challenging. If you can handle smooth loco and quick movements, you really have to play this game. I never played far into Bioshock but from what I know about the game, the gameplay loop in Genotype might be quite similar.

You get weapons by scanning organic weapons that you find, they then become a part of your special gloves. So far I have a pistol and a machine gun, you also get a clawshot that can cause damage and is used to destroy a specific mass that grows on doors. You can also fire a small rocket but those are consumables. I've been mostly using the clawshot because there's no ammo and the damage is high. It's difficult to hit the tiny hitbox on enemies, but when you can move as quick as you can in this, I can't help but stick with it because it's damn fun to be racing all over the place in VR, especially when the image is as clean as it is. I may have read that it's 120 native but don't quote me on that.

You collect a resource material from vials and enemies, this resource can be used to craft ammo, heals, buffs at upgrade stations. You find crafting recipes as you explore. You also find tokens and those are used to upgrade your gloves for health, speed, and other main stats. Organic weapons can also be upgraded but I haven't got that far.

Probably two hours in and this is easily one of the best VR games I've played in the headset. People speak highly of it but I'm really surprised that more people aren't raving about it. Honestly just goes to show how stupidly timid some people are with taking a chance on VR titles. So many people go out of their way to allow others to talk them out of trying games. Don't sleep on Genotype. It's on sale for $18 now, I think it's normally $35. Even if it was a flat game, it'd still be an indie darling for whoever played it, in VR it takes it to the next level with ease.

Last edited:

I bought it yesterday along with 3 other vr 2 games. The analysts who say that the game is not good are pure lies... It looks good, at the beginning it's a cutscene... But then the game looks good and it's fun... As far as I've been playing it.

Let me know if you actually shoot enemies on a regular basis in the game. I have Rush of Blood on PSVR and I really dig the roller coaster sensation but it feels more like target practice than a House of the Dead type shooter. Always shooting clown dolls and stuff for score multipliers. Really dragged the game down for me. I'd rather be shooting actual enemies.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Let me know if you actually shoot enemies on a regular basis in the game. I have Rush of Blood on PSVR and I really dig the roller coaster sensation but it feels more like target practice than a House of the Dead type shooter. Always shooting clown dolls and stuff for score multipliers. Really dragged the game down for me. I'd rather be shooting actual enemies.
In fact, there are zombies and you feel some vibe from the House of the Dead game... But I've only been playing for an hour, I'll keep trying more...

Im on vacations.

Which game is better to pick friends?

Madison Vr.
Wingman
OVRDark
Last Labyrinth
is Last Labryinth thst Japanese puzzle game? I say go with that if you've never played it. Just so you can see how bizarre and twisted it is. It's pretty slow moving so i never finished it but the game is a trip for sure.

Bry0

They’re great. It’s hard to go back. The way the face gasket acts like a black out curtain plus the oled is amazing. If I’m playing a game where I go into a dark cave or something I get chills!

I agree with the Bluetooth and software stuff. It's not good. I've had to move my PC on top of my desk for Bluetooth to not completely suck, which isn't all that bad but was a bit of a pain.

Worth it though, the display is so good.

PanzerCute

Im on vacations.

Which game is better to pick friends?

Madison Vr.
Wingman
OVRDark
Last Labyrinth
Madison if you want to be terrified (apparently its scary AS HELL). Wingman I would avoid as its only 6 missions in VR. The others seem OK tier, nothing amazing.

I would advise other titles tbh but I guess you already played most of them or already short listed the 4 games you mentioned.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Now that PSVR2 (and VR generally) has been out, I’m curious if you all have any recommendations for products that have improved your quality of life with the system(s). Things like cleaning / maintenance products, battery and controller mods, cord extenders, IR lights, etc.

Just wondering if I missed some products over that last couple years that would improve the experience and ownership (for actual extended use case owner).

Thanks in advance.

sncvsrtoip

Now that PSVR2 (and VR generally) has been out, I’m curious if you all have any recommendations for products that have improved your quality of life with the system(s). Things like cleaning / maintenance products, battery and controller mods, cord extenders, IR lights, etc.

Just wondering if I missed some products over that last couple years that would improve the experience and ownership (for actual extended use case owner).

Thanks in advance.
Global Cluster CMP2 or Studioformcreative 2 Pack Combo PSVR2 Ultimate Comfort Kit

SilentUser

Thanks in advance.
Globular Cluster is fantastic. Worth every cent, imo.

Thanks in advance.
I use the model as-is out of the box but IR lights are good if you want to play in the dark. I've considered those.

My advice for cleaning, go to a local eyeglass store and buy a microfiber cloth/lens cleaner, so you can clean the lenses safely. I would also get a small fan that you can place in front of you, tilted upwards. For some, a fan will help with motion sickness. For me, it simply feels nice and can lend to immersion.

I also have a power strip with 5 USB slots, I charge the controllers through it. Some people prefer the docking station.

I also use an old white cotton t-shirt to wipe off the rubber materials. They will get quite greasy. You can completely remove and wash them but I find wiping them before and after each session has kept them clean.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Really wish something like this would come to PSVR

I played around with this a few years back and it was class, would love a native PS5 app for just relaxing and exploring some far flung spaces

I only yesterday found out you can buy prescription lenses for your headset.

I haven't been to the eye doctor in a few years, so I'm going next week to get a fresh evaluation and probably new glasses, then I'm ordering some VR lenses.
Watch some Jammyhero videos. He usually has a promo code to save you some money on a particular brand of VR lenses. He's a pretty responsible/reliable VR channel.

Markio128

Gold Member
I’ve been out of the loop a bit recently due to my crazy, leg humping hound. What are the recommendations for VR games over the last 3-4 months? I’m mostly interested in sit down games atm so it doesn’t disturb the mutt.

Top Bottom