• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Whitecrow

Banned
Excuse me. Her name is Quill and she is a mouse!

Jokes aside, Moss 1 and 2 are worth it.

Lots of good games to pick from depending on what you are wanting to play.

Also, try out some of the demos available.
Sorry sorry, I had my head into other things, and couldnt remember the name right away :messenger_beaming:
I appreciate the recommendation!

casnix

I got my charging station but my PSVR2 hasn’t been updated since it arrived in Mass at 12:03 this morning. Just one state over. Blah. First world problems I know.

Go to the side bar and change the game version. Like switching between PS4 and PS5.
Yeah it doesn't show an upgrade path for me, just the full $39.99 price for the PS5 version. Don't remember exactly but it's possible I got the PS4 version through PS Plus, so maybe that's why.

ssringo

I still haven’t mustered up the courage to try RE:Village yet. What’s the general consensus for those who have played it?

Initial hour of playing is a page or so back. Put in another hour or so of the game. Just past the first "boss" of the castle. I probably enjoyed the initial Lady D and daughters encounter a bit more than on the flat screen :messenger_smirking:

I think how much you enjoy it will depend on how much you enjoyed Village non-VR. It's good but I'm not blown away by it which is about how I felt about the original. The VR aspects are definitely cool and the scale of stuff is much more impressive in VR. The Duke is massive and Lady D just towers over you in a way that doesn't really come across in the normal version. I've had multiple panic induced fuck ups trying to reload with an enemy coming at me. I am using the interactive reloading though. Simplified reload is available as well which is just a button press to do everything automatically.

Last edited:

Crayon

So I have some accesories coming.

I got some footwear! I always thought playing standing in my socks felt a little weird. And I don't thing my feet liked it very much. So i got some slippers with tread velcro across the top to tighten them down.

I also ordered a set of pulleys to try. And some command hooks so I don't rip paint off the ceiling with those cheap adhesive hooks you get in the kit. I've never tried pulleys and frankly it's probabaly unnecesary but they are cheap enough to give a go. I will only need to hang two. I'll report back on that. And a 6 foor extension cable. That should all be arriving today, too. I'm going to have some options for what the standing play space is going to be so I'll experioment with that before I go messing with the pulleys.

Hmm I have to say I'm not blown away by the screens? Sure, it's a lot better than PSVR but the screen door effect is still very noticeable 🤔 sharp image - but grainy. Are all high-end headsets like this?

But what confused me is the HDR - my image looks kind of washed out? Even my girlfriend thinks so.

Finally, am I crazy or is the FOV not that much wider than the PSVR? Still feels like wearing horse blinders 😐

Well enough complaining, Horizon is seriously impressive!

R6Rider

Gold Member

That was great. One of my favorite YT channels.
Guys get Pavlov get Pavlov get Pavlov it’s insanely fun.

Also the 3D audio with this , is it different to the tempest because it’s unbelievable
Oh, I'm definitely getting Pavlov. I just won't have much time to play it with other launch titles and being gone the entire weekend. Especially at $25 buck, EASY choice.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That title tho!
Mask Evolution GIF

consoul

I still haven’t mustered up the courage to try RE:Village yet. What’s the general consensus for those who have played it?
It's good. Some of the best visuals on the system right now and they haven't short-changed the VR version. They might have made it too realistic.

I completed RE Village four times on flatscreen, including the hardest difficulty and speedrunning the whole game in 2hrs. I thought I'd come back to it and find it a cakewalk. I was wrong.

The first village battle in VR handed me my ass. I knew exactly what was coming but holy shit it's a different thing when you have to fight it out for real. Having to actually pull out your gun, grab your ammo, physically reload, close one eye and line up your shot is so much tougher than just pressing a few buttons.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
One thing that stands out, having just tried Star Wars and NMS, is how realistic the Weapons/gadgets look up close - they are so tangible in VR.

The showroom mode on GT7 is utterly incredible for that, seeing these cars up close with that fidelity and textures are sublime, the material work is so fecking realistic

Gamerguy84

... Or maybe SHOULD I get it....
Is this impressive for anyone who is a long term pc vr user? Anyone here who finished old timey vr games and alyx multiple times on good vr headests ?

I normally don't tell anyone to buy hardware. I've got quest 2. PSVR2 is better. Of course that's a mix of software and hardware.

You always have 30 days for full refund if you don't care for it. If you like GT it'd a must.

Last edited:

sendit

I'm not gonna lie, it's not as pin sharp as the monitor I use for gaming, but Its also not a massive downgrade like the original unit was compared to native gaming.

Looking at the sun in GT7 as it's poking over the hills or thorough the clouds truly makes me squint and I don't get that from flatsreen gaming. It looks phenomenal for VR.

Not trying GT7 VR until my Wheel and Seat arrive. However, this is a amazing impression. No other racing game is coming close this year.

reinking

Gold Member
I seem to be having some issues. I hope it is because there is some sun coming into the room. I will try to set everything up again when the sun goes donw.

So far, I tried the kayak game, and it seems like moving my head causes my kayak to move. I mean, if I turn to the left it offsets the kayak to the left instead of me just turning my head. If that makes sense. The play area seems to move in a similar way. basically, me moving my head is causing my entire play area to shift. I can't say I am impressed so far. Hoping it works a little better with less light in the room.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just played a bit of Kayak and then GT7. The setup process was actually cool and very well done too.

GODDAMN is this a big upgrade from PSVR1. Kayak looks and sounds awesome. I only played around in the tutorial pool so far, but they nailed the feeling of being in a kayak. GT7 was mind blowing. I immediately went into a race on the new Grand Valley track.

I do wish there was a quick menu on the bottom for PSVR2 like there is for PSVR1 though. Had no issues getting the sweet spot that some people might struggle with.

Rob_27

Yes, but it might be difficult to pick up things in the game and the chair back might get in your way.
I couldn't get past the run bit in the tutorial until I realised I was quite low down. Plus the gun range I was well under the counter. Is there no sitting standing option.. should have looked at that beforehand. Just to hyped for games

R6Rider

Gold Member
I couldn't get past the run bit in the tutorial until I realised I was quite low down. Plus the gun range I was well under the counter. Is there no sitting standing option.. should have looked at that beforehand. Just to hyped for games
I haven't actually played Pavlov yet, just going on info I heard.

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong, but I guess my open play space is not ideal. It's pure white walls with black exercise mats on the floor. PSVR2 does NOT like this shit one bit lol. That was actually the worst tracking I've ever experienced in VR ironically enough. Just totally wigging out everywhere.

I'll have to play around with lighting, I guess. This is in my roomscale area I had set up... however it wasn't giving me too much trouble in front of the television. Probably where I'll play tonight and figure out the other space tomorrow.

To be fair it's harsh lighting reflecting off glossy white walls over there.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong, but I guess my open play space is not ideal. It's pure white walls with black exercise mats on the floor. PSVR2 does NOT like this shit one bit lol. That was actually the worst tracking I've ever experienced in VR ironically enough. Just totally wigging out everywhere.

I'll have to play around with lighting, I guess. This is in my roomscale area I had set up... however it wasn't giving me too much trouble in front of the television. Probably where I'll play tonight and figure out the other space tomorrow.

It's the pure white walls. That fucks with the camera. You might be able to have a dark room and a central light source to make it work. If that makes sense.

Maybe try some posters too, or something you could easily hang up and take down if needed.

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It's the pure white walls. That fucks with the camera.You might be able to have a dark room and a central light source to make it work. If that makes sense.
Actually it kinda does, because I frequently use my quest2 in this space without any real issues, but the difference is I usually have low lights. I only turned on the bat signal because I was trying to follow the instructions during setup (says to have the room bright enough -- but maybe not this bright lol)

Rob_27

Presumably done this?

To enable Tracking Support on PSVR 2, go to Settings > Accessories > PlayStation VR2 > Tracking Support and turn the option on

Saw a vid earlier on it.

TIGERCOOL

the reprojection in Horizon and GT7 really ruins the experience for me. Might as well be running at 30fps. NMS also looks like dogshit. Starwars of all things brought me around. That game looks and feels like a real, polished VR experience.

nashman

Never in my 42 years have I ever tried VR, just finished a 4 hour session. DAMN

Set up was quick and easy. Horizon was still DLing so went with the STARWARS Demo. As soon as the let you outside and you look at the gun in your hand, toss it from your right to left hand, toss it up in the air with backspin it rotates twice and you grab it. WOW. First wow moment is because of the physics!

Thought I would hate teleporting in a FPS but I didnt actually mind it. Loved testing out and founding out, when your behind cover you can physically peek out and around. VR is so cool. Beat the whole demo in about 30 mins. Then went on to light brigade. This is where the sometimes fuzzyness of the graphics stood out a bit. Not during general gameplay but in text. At certain distances/angles text was hard to read. The game it self is right up my alley. A shooter rougelike. Guns felt great. I know this will be my most played game for the first month.

Decided to slow it down and played tetris. This was cool but also a bit fuzzy again mostly only noticable on text. The intactive backgrounds that just end on flat TV, now some parts of that envelope you 360. Very cool.

After taking a 15 min break I fired up horizon. The scripted little boatride was a bit disappointing, looked a fuzzy when looking at my hands. The dinos seem a bit far away, maybe I just watched that section too many times in previews. After that part I was more impressed. I now now why the went to UE away from Decima! The Physics! The Physics in this game are amazing and on another level from anything in prevous Horizons. The climbing is fun(not sure after 8 hours though) The Bow is well done aswell.

This is the first time my stomach dropped. The first steps of walking(even with swing arms to walk, NOT freeroam) in this made my stomach wobble temporarily. I stopped took a deep breath walked way slower and physically mimiced walking on the spot and I was then fine. After 30 mins I switched to Pavlov. Just did the tutorail gun range but this good guns are accurate and feel punchy. There was no teleporting and free walking for the first time I took it slow. My stomach wobbled a bit so I quit after the tutorial.

Then GT7 for a race. The second your behind the wheel holy shit moment again. Stomach wobble again but goes away again, as I slow down but damn this is Fing immersive, like damn. After 2 short races I quit. Ill take a few hour break, go for a walk. I feel fine but dont want to push it.

Overall had an amazing time, IQ not perfect but still amazing

D23

Impressions after 3 hrs of playtime.
I also owned Quest 1&2, and PSVR1. Headset is definitely an upgrade

First initial is that its exceeded my expectations.
I love it. srsly impressed with GT7 with playseat + racing wheel combo. This is legit the killer app Imo. I was smiling non stop as soon as i started racing in vr, words just can’t describe. Oh and HDR in VR is game changer

After 1.5 hrs in GT7, i tried horizon. Holy shit that was cool, really impressed with the image quality there. Truly a next gen Vr game and the closest thing to alyx.

Will be taking break now, but after dinner ill dive in to RE8 and star wars demo and probably back on GT7

Really really happy with my purchase and i think sony got something special here.

Romulus

Gonna be able to play GT7 and maybe RE8 later. I owned a Rift S, Quest 2, and PSVR1. I don't own the PSVR2 but I'm hyped to try it.

so i'm realizing that a lot of these "wowers" have probably never played with VR before. mine came in. set it up. yadda yadda. honestly, it's nothing special. i hate saying this. makes me so pissed at all the reviewers just losing their minds over "how clear it is!" it actually reminds me of the original PSVR! graphics are better, but still has that "this is how i remember the psvr graphics being" feeling. i don't get the "so clear" stuff. it's not mind blowing at all. reminds me of my oculus quest. i'm in my mid 40s and have used basically all of the major headsets. i was so hoping to more impressed. and it's not a matter of "i don't know how to find the sweet spot." i'm dialed in. it's just kind of meh. the FOV is standard. can't tell the difference compared to other headsets. i haven't used any VR in a while (last thing i used was quest 1 to play some pistol whip). same vibe here. i feel like i'm missing something. played Star Wars demo, NFL demo, NMS, GT7, and Pavlov. controls are wonky and awkward. lot of fumbling around and dropping shit. i don't know. maybe it will grow on me. not sure how people are blown away by this. and yes, god rays and CR are visible and noticeable. and to the dude that said the cinema mode HDR and clarity was comparable to a high end oled tv. LOLZ i say! i have an lg c2. not that i was expecting it to be anywhere CLOSE to it, but let me tell you, it's MILES away from that. it's honestly very similar to the original PSVR. anyways, those are my initial, bummer impressions.

Crayon

Seems like more and more people who had given some of the harsher first impressions are figuring out they have to put their headsets on correctly. Go figure.

We've had two weeks of reviews by both experts and newbs and none of them mentioned it being blurry. Honestly though I'm surprised more people don't have trouble getting headsets in general lined up quite right. It can be a real fiddle.

MastAndo

We've had two weeks of reviews by both experts and newbs and none of them mentioned it being blurry. Honestly though I'm surprised more people don't have trouble getting headsets in general lined up quite right. It can be a real fiddle.
Yeah, it all seemed strange to me as well...I probably shouldn't have taken a jab at them though. I'm still waiting on delivery for mine and it'll be my first VR headset, so I don't exactly expect it to go flawlessly.

Top Bottom