• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

LoveCake

I was like this also!
Guys get Pavlov get Pavlov get Pavlov it’s insanely fun.

Also the 3D audio with this , is it different to the tempest because it’s unbelievable
Can you play this with anyone online like a random lobby or do the people you play with have to be friends?
Just did the tutorial and stepped into kayak for 5 minutes. Unbelievable. It's absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to get more time tonight
I did the same after the set-up into Kayak in the jungle area one and wow!

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
so i'm realizing that a lot of these "wowers" have probably never played with VR before. mine came in. set it up. yadda yadda. honestly, it's nothing special. i hate saying this. makes me so pissed at all the reviewers just losing their minds over "how clear it is!" it actually reminds me of the original PSVR! graphics are better, but still has that "this is how i remember the psvr graphics being" feeling. i don't get the "so clear" stuff. it's not mind blowing at all. reminds me of my oculus quest. i'm in my mid 40s and have used basically all of the major headsets. i was so hoping to more impressed. and it's not a matter of "i don't know how to find the sweet spot." i'm dialed in. it's just kind of meh. the FOV is standard. can't tell the difference compared to other headsets. i haven't used any VR in a while (last thing i used was quest 1 to play some pistol whip). same vibe here. i feel like i'm missing something. played Star Wars demo, NFL demo, NMS, GT7, and Pavlov. controls are wonky and awkward. lot of fumbling around and dropping shit. i don't know. maybe it will grow on me. not sure how people are blown away by this. and yes, god rays and CR are visible and noticeable. and to the dude that said the cinema mode HDR and clarity was comparable to a high end oled tv. LOLZ i say! i have an lg c2. not that i was expecting it to be anywhere CLOSE to it, but let me tell you, it's MILES away from that. it's honestly very similar to the original PSVR. anyways, those are my initial, bummer impressions.
Daaayam dude, I'm near 50 and this just blew me away, I've experience with PSVR1, Quest2 and Vive and this easily beats the shit clean out of all them in all departments, more so the og PSVR where the generational leap is really profound, mate I think nothing short of plugging yourself into the matrix is gonna do it for you

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Will be taking break now, but after dinner ill dive in to RE8 and star wars demo and probably back on GT7

If you haven't played RE please go in cold. I wish I would have filmed my neighbor who came over to check this out. It was worthy of posting. A horror game is more horrific in VR.

I put him in the demo and he was legit creeped tf out lol. It's not that bad but the suspense of when shit happens will get you. It really transports you into that world.

saintjules

Gold Member
First timer in the VR space. Absolutely nuts. Just tried our RE Village on PSVR2. Might be a big "nope" once I really get into it, but I'm pleasantly surprised by the experience of PSVR2 so far.

While I mainly wear glasses, I can see that becoming an issue for longer sessions. May have to switch to contacts. Still trying to get a hang of things, especially the controllers.

Worth a watch.

Some of those settings like the side one were greyed out. I wonder why. I'll have to keep fiddling.

Delt31

OK folks - long time VR guy here. Played almost all of them. Have the Pimax crystal and bigscreen already ordered as well. Let’s just say I know my VR. Here’s the feedback after using it for a few hours.

Comfort: for me, it’s def a comfortable headset. For those thinking you’ll forget you’re wearing it, that will never happen despite what youtube hype tells you. Bigscreen VR might be the only chance this could come true but it’s 1k by itself! Overall, I’m happy. Smells just like PSVR1 btw. And the plastic and overall quality of the headset isn’t great but good enough. Putting it on is not natural btw (at least how you should put it on) so take your time b/c it will have a pervasive impact on your experience if you do it wrong.

Visuals

Sweet spot: This one is interesting. You NEED to follow instructions on how to put it on (did I mention that yet?). It’s very important otherwise the small sweet spot will never feel good. Once you find it though and it’s on your head fine, you can easily lock it in. FOV - solid. Not great but bigger than Quest 2. For anyone that says Quest 2 is the same - you’re not wearing this headset correctly. It’s not close to PSVR2 when you have it set to be close to your face.

Lens/OLED Tech: OLED colors are awesome. It’s also one of the brightest images I’ve seen in VR. Horizon really shines in this area. This sets this headset above the rest. Bad news - DEF has screen door effect. If you watch a review that says no screen door, those people are either blind or not experienced in VR. It’s instantly recognizable. For sure, this is not a deal breaker simply b/c you begin to forget about it. Compare that to HP Reverb G2 V2 - I can’t see it nearly as much. This is due to OLED and not the fault of Sony. Great news is that I really didn’t see terrible god rays. I did see a good amount of black blur (move your head and dark backgrounds like trees in Kayak will almost ghost to the left or right depending on how you move your head. Mura really not noticeable and text yes, little rainbow effect but nothing worth mentioning. Godrays being so limited was my nicest surprise.

Controllers - I like them but my hands are on the bigger side and they don’t come close to the Steam Index Knuckles. That being said, they’re cheaper and I do like the vibration. Overall solid for sure. Pain to pick up like everyone says. Tracking is fine, gets the job done but def impacted by the inside out tech and it doesn’t compete with lighthouse tracking.

Earbuds - if they stay in your ears, they‘re great. For me, I couldn’t get them to regardless of the size I tried.

Cord - really light. Def the best cord feel I’ve had in VR.

Games - GT7 GT7 GT7. That game absolutely delivers. Believe the hype. Kayak is such a great example to show folks. Horizon is fun too - not blown away with the story or actual gameplay but what a looker and has that AAA feel. We don’t have nearly enough AAA in VR so as a PC gamer, I applaud what I’m seeing from Sony! I did notice some some stutter/reprojection blur effects in Horizon that I really didn’t like but I guess that’s just the performance compromise Sony made. Haven’t tried RE8 but RE7 to this day is still one of my favs so I’m expecting a lot. People saying this launch doesn’t have games to bring you in is crazy. Check out xbox series x and then get back to me on what a terrible launch looks like. I prob bought 12 games and each I’m excited to play, even if they were released elsewhere, I can’t play them with OLED at this resolution and this type of force feedback. Sympth Riders is a great example of a game I’ve played before but those OLED blacks really make it pop on PSVR2.

PSVR 2 really holds it own amongst even PCVR. It absolutely smokes Quest 2 imo. Yes the screen door is more apparent but then you’re also benefiting from those gorgeous HDR visuals so for me, OK trade off. I wish FOV could be a little bigger but big enough. Audio should have been built in and the controllers are good, tracking could be better.

For this price, for what you’re getting, it’s a freaking steal if you own a PS5 already.

Last edited:

Hawk269

Feel bad for those that ordered a while ago and still don't have it. I was waiting and hoping to be able to buy one at a Retailer (I am in the U.S.) but it seems like Sony is not at this time going to sell them via retail. So even though I was signed up to do a pre-order since day 1 I never did...but broke down and put the order in on Friday night for the Headset and Charging station and received both this afternoon.

I have not had a chance to plug it in yet, currently charging the controllers, will have dinner then plug it in. One thing I am hearing from some people I know IRL is that the controllers have a very short battery lifespan. I really wish they would of used 1 AA battery like the Quest 2 controllers. Those last for over 30+ hours on one battery.

Hoppa

Synth Riders got me in the living room like

Dancing Queen Reaction GIF by Soul Train

RafterXL

so i'm realizing that a lot of these "wowers" have probably never played with VR before. mine came in. set it up. yadda yadda. honestly, it's nothing special. i hate saying this. makes me so pissed at all the reviewers just losing their minds over "how clear it is!" it actually reminds me of the original PSVR! graphics are better, but still has that "this is how i remember the psvr graphics being" feeling. i don't get the "so clear" stuff. it's not mind blowing at all. reminds me of my oculus quest. i'm in my mid 40s and have used basically all of the major headsets. i was so hoping to more impressed. and it's not a matter of "i don't know how to find the sweet spot." i'm dialed in. it's just kind of meh. the FOV is standard. can't tell the difference compared to other headsets. i haven't used any VR in a while (last thing i used was quest 1 to play some pistol whip). same vibe here. i feel like i'm missing something. played Star Wars demo, NFL demo, NMS, GT7, and Pavlov. controls are wonky and awkward. lot of fumbling around and dropping shit. i don't know. maybe it will grow on me. not sure how people are blown away by this. and yes, god rays and CR are visible and noticeable. and to the dude that said the cinema mode HDR and clarity was comparable to a high end oled tv. LOLZ i say! i have an lg c2. not that i was expecting it to be anywhere CLOSE to it, but let me tell you, it's MILES away from that. it's honestly very similar to the original PSVR. anyways, those are my initial, bummer impressions.
Holy shit, are you me?

The hype got to me. I actually expected these "jaw dropping" graphics and shit but they aren't close to jaw dropping. The controllers aren't as good or accurate as the Q2 (or Vive) controllers and they're tiny to boot. Sure, it's all better than the PSVR1 but it's still not remotely good enough.

And people need to stop with this "it's not blurry" shit and recognize why people are saying it. It's the fact that it's significantly lower IQ than most gamers are used to, thus blurry in their eyes. Maybe if all the VR people didn't hype up these "mind blowing, jaw dropping" visuals people might have gone in with more tempered expectations, but when you claim these things and talk about Cinema mode rivaling actual badass tvs, you're setting people up for disappointment.

If I could return it I 100% would. I knew better but fell for the hype anyway. Oh well, live and learn.

Holy shit, are you me?

The hype got to me. I actually expected these "jaw dropping" graphics and shit but they aren't close to jaw dropping. The controllers aren't as good or accurate as the Q2 (or Vive) controllers and they're tiny to boot. Sure, it's all better than the PSVR1 but it's still not remotely good enough.

And people need to stop with this "it's not blurry" shit and recognize why people are saying it. It's the fact that it's significantly lower IQ than most gamers are used to, thus blurry in their eyes. Maybe if all the VR people didn't hype up these "mind blowing, jaw dropping" visuals people might have gone in with more tempered expectations, but when you claim these things and talk about Cinema mode rivaling actual badass tvs, you're setting people up for disappointment.

If I could return it I 100% would. I knew better but fell for the hype anyway. Oh well, live and learn.
100% agree. Id return it if it weren't a huge pain in the ass. Like, i played with it for like an hour and have no interest in fucking with it anymore tonight. Not what I expected at all. I really think like do i have the wrong device or something? Hahaha not sure how anyone could claim it's so clear. Just did the horizon demo and it's like watching a blurred cartoon. Have yet to get a sense of presence. Normally im the guy all in on this shit.

MastAndo

PSVR2 finally arrived! So yeah, I probably shouldn't have let my first experience with VR gaming be zipping along the Grand Valley Highway in a Lambo, but I wanted to try something while the Sense controllers are charging. Long story short, I basically almost fell out of my chair during the first turn of the race and physically recoiled a few times bracing for a crash. Complete jelly legs - fortunately, I was seated. I feel like such an old man, lol.

I have no basis of comparison so I can't really comment on how the hardware fares against other VR headsets, but everything is feeling premium so far. Connection and setup was really straight-forward. I'm probably gonna ease into it after dinner with a tamer game and I need to tinker a bit to get a better helmet fit to optimize the visuals.

I only had time for one GT7 race, but as a newcomer, that was absolutely mindblowing. That transition from viewing a flat image to being thrown into this other reality when the race starts was indescribable. I really didn't know what to expect, but I didn't expect it to be so...3D? The sense of depth is just surreal. The driver's body and arms felt like they were mine and the sensation of actually sitting in that car is captured so well.

I know these this isn't really specific to the PSVR2 hardware itself, but sheesh, what a first ride. I had to share.

Hawk269

Quick questions because I wont be able to hook it up for a few more hours...can you run audio from the TV or a Receiver? Or do you have to use the included ear buds or a headset?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
My BIGGEST issue with the first PSVR headset was a grainy layer / screen door looking affect atop games.

Sadly, it seems as though PSVR2 has the same thing.

Like, GT7 has this weird layer of grain atop an otherwise crisp game. Is it my eyeballs , or does VR tech still suck this bad?.

Overall, VR tech "still suck this bad" outside of really expensive recent VR headsets.

The only way out of SDE but to keep black levels, HDR and OLED colors is the microOLED screens ($$). It's gaining traction as a solution, but the companies offering it don't have the production output to really bring the cost down. Maybe Valve will manage it (still >1k i bet).

Looks like it didn’t sold very well here in Japan. Got two Amazon mails about plenty of stock and if I want one (it was waiting list but now is open)

Imtjnotu

Early impressions on the fit.

It's not comfortable for me. Where my eyes land for the headset to be comfortable, it's too high up on my face.

Bringing it down puts alot of pressure on the bridge of my nose.

Screen door effect is there. And looking to the corners has alot of chromatic aberration. I think injust have to get use to turning my head.

GT7 in the vr show room is crazy tho. Did one race in my camaro and was blown away. Crashed a bunch of times cause I was too busy looking around at the interior of the car.

Also my controllers came dead so while I wait for call of the mountain and starwars to install I'll have them charging

Minsc

Gold Member
Got mine setup is my first VR device. Tried a few different things Horizon, GT7, Moss and Kayak, and Horizon was something else. Just went through the intro boat ride, with all the colors and leaves and trees and just being able to see such detailed environments in every direction along with the sense of space from that is something I've never experienced with flat gaming. Everything looked so much more detailed in VR and you could see above you in a way which you don't get on a TV which really makes you feel in the game space. Reaching out and grabbing the foliage and just seeing the robots/creatures interact with the very detailed people made it a really fun experience. The climbing was enjoyable enough, I had no issues, but just the graphics in every little detail really brought it beyond my expectations. Using that as a bar of what could be possible if more AAA-level content becomes available is really appealing. I hope to see at least one or two AAA RPGs ported, really the more the merrier, but hopefully the PSVR2 is a great ride and brings us another, better headset down the road!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I cannot get tracking to work. Not really sure what to do tbh. I'm renting this place right now, and every room is pretty much the same deal. Glossy white walls with harsh lighting. I've tried moving around some different, softer lamps and toggling the various lights, but nothing works. When I'm in a game the tracking is everywhere and then the whole thing cuts out and I get a message it cannot find my play space. It struggles and sometimes cannot map the room, no matter what lighting I try.

Think I'm done for tonight. Sleep on it, maybe think of something tomorrow. Idk.

Last edited:

Crayon

I cannot get tracking to work. Not really sure what to do tbh. I'm renting this place right now, and every room is pretty much the same deal. Glossy white walls with harsh lighting. I've tried moving around some different, softer lamps and toggling the various lights, but nothing works. When I'm in a game the tracking is everywhere and then the whole thing cuts out and I get a message it cannot find my play space. It struggles and sometimes cannot map the room, no matter what lighting I try.

Think I'm done for tonight. Sleep on it, maybe think of something tomorrow. Idk.

On one hand it's starting to sound like there's something wrong with the equipment. On the other hand, say all the rooms are similar. IDK. Super sucks I'm sorry 😔.

Delivery went from saying to be delivered on the 22nd thought sitting at Grade Lane Hub, KY all day to now saying to be delivered by the 25th at 7pm. They lost my damn package didn't they?.........fml.

TexMex

So I was playing Horizon, and its almost like the FOV just got more narrow randomly? Like I accidentally tripped a setting or something. I can still turn around and see everything just fine, but my stationary span of vision just got much more narrow all of a sudden, almost like looking through a telescope? Anyone have ideas?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
On one hand it's starting to sound like there's something wrong with the equipment. On the other hand, say all the rooms are similar. IDK. Super sucks I'm sorry 😔.
Yeah, I did say earlier sounded like the UPS guy tossed my package when he dropped it off lol.

I think it's the glossy, empty walls. I'll figure something out.

Last edited:

Romulus

Finally got to try a lap of the ring with GT7. Mostly I watched my friend play RE8 for about half an hour before we left. Going back over tomorrow.

Impressions.

The sweet spot is harder to find than I expected, even after reading the comments. It took a good 15 seconds to find off the bat and I'm a PSVR1 vet for sure. It went from looking like PSVR1 to.....

HOLY shit it looks great. I've played Iracing and AC on Quest 2 and Rift S and the polish here is just next level. It has this feeling that every square centimeter was customized meticulously. The little drops on the windshield, are just little details that blew me away. I've seen them attempted with other games and it just has a look here that took me back. Is that alone worth the price? Eh, probably. But for me, I have a VR set that's decent enough for now. What will change my mind is more exclusives on the level of GT7. That felt like a once in 20 years experience, can't imagine people that haven't played VR at all trying that.

Gamerguy84

Yeah, I did say earlier sounded like the UPS guy tossed my package when he dropped it off lol.

I think it's the glossy, empty walls. I'll figure something out.

Have you tried bringing in a couple lamps with softer bulbs? Also may sound stupid but hang a couple $5 3ft tall posters up on the walls so it has something to track off of.

Cut open a couple trash bags and tack them in the.walls in squares. Hang a blanket, anything, and that should tell you if it's walls.

Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Finally got to try a lap of the ring with GT7. Mostly I watched my friend play RE8 for about half an hour before we left. Going back over tomorrow.

Impressions.

The sweet spot is harder to find than I expected, even after reading the comments. It took a good 15 seconds to find off the bat and I'm a PSVR1 vet for sure. It went from looking like PSVR1 to.....

HOLY shit it looks great. I've played Iracing and AC on Quest 2 and Rift S and the polish here is just next level. It has this feeling that every square centimeter was customized meticulously. The little drops on the windshield, are just little details that blew me away. I've seen them attempted with other games and it just has a look here that took me back. Is that alone worth the price? Eh, probably. But for me, I have a VR set that's decent enough for now. What will change my mind is more exclusives on the level of GT7. That felt like a once in 20 years experience, can't imagine people that haven't played VR at all trying that.
so the level of variation on the quality is quite big?

That's why we are seeing a lot of different opinions. People are not setting it up correctly. What did you do to find the exact spot?

Just update my experience from someone who is not impressed.

I tried to fix issues with the head set position. Maybe my medium hair is not helping but after I get the right spot it move out after some minutes so I need to keep moving the headset.

Things too close or far away are not clear, there’s a distance that make all very sharp but if u come close or far it get blurry.
GT7 make me dizzy as I tried to read the signs that are far (is blurry or ghosting ) I can read the “break” when they are medium close, again, far or close look bad.

Horizon I try to look own hands, objects or flower as they look really nice and sharp but is better to keep distance or the blurry when they get close make me dizzy. I also try not to look look far away.

The eye tracking , that is serious setup. Don’t move ur head at all when setup eye tracking. Small movements gave me bad results, after that thing for well better.

Can’t play at night as no light issue no play area.

I will give it 7/10. Not bad , not that clear as people say, not that immersive. Gt and horizon for a vr game do look very good, way better anything I tried before on pc.
The showroom /cinema I don’t like it at all, for that I just use my big tv, but for people with small tv or used to hd I think is ok.

FunkMiller

Impressions are all over the place for this

Lol. It's not all that helpful, is it?

I'm still of two minds whether to go for this, or wait it out for the next Quest, given how much broader PCVR is in terms of content, and the fact I can play wirelessly away from the machine.

Not gonna lie, the problems people are having finding the sweet spot, and the issues around the screen door effect are putting me off.

I've had a great time with Quest 2 wirelessly on PCVR, and I'm really not sure if this is enough of an improvement to jump in.

dorkimoe

Which shooter would be best to play that wont cause motion sickness? Looking to play a shooter to get my Vr legs

Markio128

Gold Member
So I was playing Horizon, and its almost like the FOV just got more narrow randomly? Like I accidentally tripped a setting or something. I can still turn around and see everything just fine, but my stationary span of vision just got much more narrow all of a sudden, almost like looking through a telescope? Anyone have ideas?
Sounds like you have the turning vignette enabled. You can turn it off in the menu, but bear in mind it’s there to help those new to VR.

SilentUser

So nobody is playing the smaller games like Demeo or Garden of the Sea?
I would like an impression of those.
As promised, here I am after straight hours playing Demeo with friends (crossplay with PC):
1. What a fantastic game to play in coop with friends! It is not an easy game, so everyone must support each other and we absolutely had a blast!
2. Had a few glitches with headset tracking, nothing too bad and it recovered quickly.
3. Used the in game voice chat with the PSVR2 microphone and it was pretty good.
4. Despite playing for 2 hours straight and not having prior VR legs, had no problem at all. Tried Light Brigade, Horizon and other games today and not a single moment of nausea. PSVR2 is doing wonders here, imo.
5. It was fun seeing a friend using a PCVR and how it actually translated in the game. I'm talking about nice little touches like being able to see where his head and hands were.
6. Lovely artstyle coupled with great graphics.
7. Demeo is worth every cent when you play with friends.

Feel free to ask me anything about my experience with PSVR2 + Demeo ;)

reinking

Gold Member
After the sun went down, I was able to set everything up fine. I guess I am going to invest in some blackout curtains because I was getting too much sunlight even with the shades closed. Who needs windows?

I have not been able to play much but I played in the pool with the Kayak game, did the intro to Horizon (looks freaking great) and played a demo of the NFL Pro Era (which is insane). I am going to mess around a bit more. One thing that I believe to be true, seems to have saved individual settings for each user profile. That is awesome.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Reading the impressions on reddit and REeee, it seems like there's a swing back down to reality.

Fucking tech youtubers, i swear, they're cancer. It's always like this nowadays :

6cc.png

Read this goddamn review

The screen door effect was never an issue with the PSVR, and it isn’t here either

adult swim look GIF

Is there no editors left at IGN or something? A writer that comes to me with this shit will get a mug thrown at them and revoke their right to even review a VR headset. The fuck are they doing? Its not helping anybody. Its creating false hype. Let peoples be pleasantly surprised, not selling them impossible expectations.

Hopefully, impressions such as blur while turning the headset or ghosting (Horizon amplifies this problem?) and tracking issues are patched, should be easy enough. Again, very strange that the media didn't mention a goddamn thing on that. Digital foundry lost a couple of feathers on this coverage.

Crayon

Reading the impressions on reddit and REeee, it seems like there's a swing back down to reality.

Fucking tech youtubers, i swear, they're cancer. It's always like this nowadays :

6cc.png

Read this goddamn review

adult swim look GIF

Is there no editors left at IGN or something? A writer that comes to me with this shit will get a mug thrown at them and revoke their right to even review a VR headset. The fuck are they doing? Its not helping anybody. Its creating false hype. Let peoples be pleasantly surprised, not selling them impossible expectations.

Hopefully, impressions such as blur while turning the headset or ghosting (Horizon amplifies this problem?) and tracking issues are patched, should be easy enough. Again, very strange that the media didn't mention a goddamn thing on that. Digital foundry lost a couple of feathers on this coverage.

A bunch of the reviewers were jokers who didn't know what they were talking about. But I think DF has tried a few headsets. And there was a bunch more with plenty of experience. Given that they all said the display was stellar, they would have had an easier time getting clicks if they said it was bad. If you want to take the word of just the forum-goers who are having issues, then I guess fine.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
A bunch of the reviewers were jokers who didn't know what they were talking about. But I think DF has tried a few headsets. And there was a bunch more with plenty of experience. Given that they all said the display was stellar, they would have had an easier time getting clicks if they said it was bad. If you want to take the word of just the forum-goers who are having issues, then I guess fine.

The thing is that VR is not like a TV. Faces and eyes are unique. There's no such thing as slapping a VR headset and everyone has "CLEAR" visuals. Some will find a sweetspot easily, some can spend hours and even then, be on the edge of a few millimeters before it goes to shit.

That's ok, it's inherent to the current VR tech

But all reviewers had pristine experience..

Crayon

OK folks - long time VR guy here. Played almost all of them. Have the Pimax crystal and bigscreen already ordered as well. Let’s just say I know my VR. Here’s the feedback after using it for a few hours.

Comfort: for me, it’s def a comfortable headset. For those thinking you’ll forget you’re wearing it, that will never happen despite what youtube hype tells you. Bigscreen VR might be the only chance this could come true but it’s 1k by itself! Overall, I’m happy. Smells just like PSVR1 btw. And the plastic and overall quality of the headset isn’t great but good enough. Putting it on is not natural btw (at least how you should put it on) so take your time b/c it will have a pervasive impact on your experience if you don’t it wrong.

Visuals

Sweet spot: This one is interesting. You NEED to follow instructions on how to put it on (did I mention that yet?). It’s very important otherwise the small sweet spot will never feel good. Once you find it though and it’s on your head fine, you can easily lock it in. FOV - solid. Not great but bigger than Quest 2. For anyone that says Quest 2 is the same - you’re not wearing this headset correctly. It’s not close to PSVR2 when you have it set to be close to your face.

Lens/OLED Tech: OLED colors are awesome. It’s also one of the brightest images I’ve seen in VR. Horizon really shines in this area. This sets this headset above the rest. Bad news - DEF has screen door effect. If you watch a review that says no screen door, those people are either blind or not experienced in VR. It’s instantly recognizable. For sure, this is not a deal breaker simply b/c you begin to forget about it. Compare that to HP Reverb G2 V2 - I can’t see it nearly as much. This is due to OLED and not the fault of Sony. Great news is that I really didn’t see terrible god rays. I did see a good amount of black blur (move your head and dark backgrounds like trees in Kayak will almost ghost to the left or right depending on how you move your head. Mura really not noticeable and text yes, little rainbow effect but nothing worth mentioning. Godrays being so limited was my nicest surprise.

Controllers - I like them but my hands are on the bigger side and they don’t come close to the Steam Index Knuckles. That being said, they’re cheaper and I do like the vibration. Overall solid for sure. Pain to pick up like everyone says. Tracking is fine, gets the job done but def impacted by the inside out tech and it doesn’t compete with lighthouse tracking.

Earbuds - if they stay in your ears, they‘re great. For me, I couldn’t get them to regardless of the size I tried.

Cord - really light. Def the best cord feel I’ve had in VR.

Games - GT7 GT7 GT7. That game absolutely delivers. Believe the hype. Kayak is such a great example to show folks. Horizon is fun too - not blown away with the story or actual gameplay but what a looker and has that AAA feel. We don’t have nearly enough AAA in VR so as a PC gamer, I applaud what I’m seeing from Sony! I did notice some some stutter/reprojection blur effects in Horizon that I really didn’t like but I guess that’s just the performance compromise Sony made. Haven’t tried RE8 but RE7 to this day is still one of my favs so I’m expecting a lot. People saying this launch doesn’t have games to bring you in is crazy. Check out xbox series x and then get back to me on what a terrible launch looks like. I prob bought 12 games and each I’m excited to play, even if they were released elsewhere, I can’t play them with OLED at this resolution and this type of force feedback. Sympth Riders is a great example of a game I’ve played before but those OLED blacks really make it pop on PSVR2.

PSVR 2 really holds it own amongst even PCVR. It absolutely smokes Quest 2 imo. Yes the screen door is more apparent but then you’re also benefiting from those gorgeous HDR visuals so for me, OK trade off. I wish FOV could be a little bigger but big enough. Audio should have been built in and the controllers are good, tracking could be better.

For this price, for what you’re getting, it’s a freaking steal if you own a PS5 already.

Nice to get impressions from someone who's been around the block. Thanks.

But I'm here to stick up for those lighthouses. I'm glad you said they are superior. They are. People make a fuss about them like there's some big problem. It's a tiny discreet Black box that you have to find two places in your room to put. You don't even need to be picky about it. You can choose your favorite two places. It is not hard to set up, it is not hard to calibrate, and the tracking is outstanding.

Last edited:

Crayon

The thing is that VR is not like a TV. Faces and eyes are unique. There's no such thing as slapping a VR headset and everyone has "CLEAR" visuals. Some will find a sweetspot easily, some can spend hours and even then, be on the edge of a few millimeters before it goes to shit.

That's ok, it's inherent to the current VR tech

But all reviewers had pristine experience..

Well they all had a week to figure it out. Even if it took him a day to find the sweet spot.

Top Bottom