• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Kilau

Played some Horizon and wow I’m impressed. Granted I’m a big fan on the Horizon games but they did an amazing job bringing that world to VR.

Also very impressed with motion sickness, or lack of it. In Robinson, I took 2 steps and had to rip the VR off before I got sick. In Horizon, I’m running and jumping with fast smooth motions and no problem.

EekTheKat

Just set mine up - Sony got a lot right here.

The setup was literally lightyears better than the PSVR 1. No putting multiple wires and everything together minigame that PSVR1 use to be.

The headset feels more responsive than the Quest 2 in passthrough mode - I think that has to do with the cameras and poll rate which feels much better than the Quest 2 pass through. The eye tracking setup gave a momentary "whoa this actually works" feeling when I went through the setup.

Looking around to scan your room makes it feel like magical next level stuff instead of the draw a circle around where you're playing.

GT 7 - good lord that exceeded my expectations. Fired up a quick test run with an old 911 on the new track and it was gorgeous.

The GT7 test run sort of triggered my memories of the old days on PS3 when I'd play 4 hour endurace races wearing a 720p Sony HMD head mounted display frying my eyeballs. Only this time with superb visuals and proper head tracking.

Simplicity, better performance, better hardware.

Minsc

Gold Member
Played some Horizon and wow I’m impressed. Granted I’m a big fan on the Horizon games but they did an amazing job bringing that world to VR.

Also very impressed with motion sickness, or lack of it. In Robinson, I took 2 steps and had to rip the VR off before I got sick. In Horizon, I’m running and jumping with fast smooth motions and no problem.

Yeah, Horizon's world is such a joy to experience in VR. So many little details really sell it. And it's so colorful and lush I had no trouble feeling like I was there. Also had absolutely no motion sickness at all, for my first VR game, and to me it just felt like I was on a Disney ride for the first 20 minutes or so. Well minus the climbing parts, but sign me the fuck up for all the walking simulators we can get haha!

Synless

GT7 is fucking great. I hate, and I mean I hate GT in 2D. It always feels like I’m driving in slow motion.

VR though, fuck man… I get a whole new sense of speed even from the shit early cars.

Resident evil 8 impressions: I love it the way I did 7 and 4 before it. I hate the arms though, really hate them. Gorgeous game though and fun to play.

Controllers died so I didn’t get to play no man’s sky.

also, clean the lenses out of the box. There was 100% a layer of some bullshit on it.

Minsc

Gold Member
I can't wait for RE4 in VR, hopefully the remake does the game justice, but RE4 is so much fun, and it shouldn't be that scary which is a plus for me. Not sure how far I'll make it in RE8.

Synless

I can't wait for RE4 in VR, hopefully the remake does the game justice, but RE4 is so much fun, and it shouldn't be that scary which is a plus for me. Not sure how far I'll make it in RE8.
RE8 is not a scary game. RE7, specially the run down house was 100x more frightening than anything in RE8.

phaedrus

You NEED to follow instructions on how to put it on (did I mention that yet?). It’s very important otherwise the small sweet spot will never feel good.
The Office Thank You GIF

I read some first impressions here and can immediately tell which ones didn't take the time to fit the set properly and (critically) dial in their correct IPD.

Last edited:

TexMex

My left controller is completely fucked. The games won't recognize it (which is weird because the left stick works only when navigating the PS5 menu). When I get to the part at the start of Horizon where you have to climb the ladder, L2 is broken so I can't grab anything, I climb the ladder with my right hand only, and when you get to the guy who says push the L stick forward to move forward, no buttons register at all. Lovely.

DryvBy

Pavlov is the best PSVR2 game imo. Let me give you a story.

I was trying to figure out the game controls (it's what helps make it) and I had a 50 cal rifle. If you one hand fire this thing, it blow the gun out of your hand. I couldn't pick it up because we were under fire and a guy hurled his side piece at me and you can freaking catch this stuff lol.

I also had another experience where this guy begged for mercy. So I handed him a live grenade that he thought was just a grenade lol.

The community is great when they're chatting. It's my favorite game I've played today.

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member
Just finished with the setup. How do you get audio through your tv if you don't want to use headphones? I have no headset plugged in but no audio is coming through the tv

//DEVIL//

I got it today and returned it to Walmart same day. I played 5 hours of it today all GT7.

My thoughts

- GT7 is by far the best driving game on VR. it beats ANYTHING on PC and I tried it all from Valve to Quest 2 ( not to mention the latest one was Project cars 2 which is not even close to GT7 ). but the whole implementation of the GT7 in the game is just breathtaking and stunning ( again, I am talking about the implementation rest to follow )

- Sense controllers I did not use. as I mentioned I only played GT7 because it's the only game that interests me not a fan of horizon games.

- The headset itself.. surprisingly ... not very comfy. after an hour session of gaming, before I take a break, there were some marks on my forehead. Maybe I tilted it harder than it should have, but it always felt like It was about to fall. what makes it worse, there is a specific sweet spot that you need to have your eyes on. the second the head slips even by a little, it is a blurry mess, so you kind of have to tie it hard around your head just to make sure it doesn't slip ( still can but very rarely )

- The TV / Cinema mode for none VR games was also awesome. I was able to play Call of Duty warzone 2 at 120 frames. felt like I am playing in a cinema. no lag or jitter. However, it's blurry. especially around the area where your eyes are not in direct contact. as soon as you look at a specific object, it looks good. but in terms of quality, it doesn't beat the clearance of an actual monitor in front of you. it just feels huge and nice. but it wouldn't be a viable option after the wow factor is gone. especially since well,,, its not a VR game.

All in all honestly its not an bad product. But the lack of games that interest me personally are not that much ( again I really didn't want anything but GT7, I have a huge collection on PC so not worth buying it again ).

it doesn't help the fact we will probably never see it running on PC too. which is another reason it was very hard for me to justify the price for 1 or 2 games in the future.

If this is your first VR or you only game on consoles and has an interest in VR headset. this is a must-buy. but if you are a PC gamer as well as a PS5 gamer or do not have many games you want to play on this thing, then do not spend your money on it. you will regret it. just invest in PC VR for the simple fact the VR community is on PC. even social VR apps are on PC and almost none on PS5.

But yeah. GT7 on VR... kudos to PD. with that alone they destroyed any experience Forza Motorsport will have. ( unless that VR which I do not think it does ) it's really a completely different experience. I was stunned by how detailed and awesome this game in VR. This is coming from a person that barely anything wows me in gaming anymore.

this video is my feeling exactly

Last edited:
Didn’t think it was going to be delivered today - waited all evening then UPS finally dropped it off (though they just left it on the porch without ringing the bell in a busy townhouse community)

Started with GT7 - completely blew me away! Night and day difference between this and GT Sport on PSVR - actually felt like I was driving the car.

Had to wait for the controllers to charge a bit- so I played Rez which was fine.

Then I got to Horizon - holy crap is this game beautiful! Best graphics I’ve seen in VR! Side note… my girl Aloy looks fine AF in VR! Lol

Tried Kayak next - another beauty but here I really started to feel a bit nauseated and fatigued (had been a couple years since I last put on a headset).

Lastly put on No Man’s Sky for a few minutes- really need to learn the controls I was spinning all over the place which really got me nauseated and had to turn it off for the night.

Overall an awesome first night! Such a drastic improvement from the first PSVR. Headset was comfortable, set up was easy and didn’t experience any screen door effect - though the rubber around the lens was noticeable while playing.

Looking forward to trying REVIII tomorrow

Kilau

Anyone try No Mans Sky? I hear it’s not great
It’s better than PSVR1 but it’s still bad, coming from Horizon where everything is clear even in the distance, it’s jarring.

Up close it’s okay, and the ship cockpit is good with nice effects but looking out at the landscape it’s like it hasn’t finished loading.

Crayon

Ah. Got home and settled in. I pulled it out of the box and immediately realized the misleading weight listings were including the cable. This thing is long. The coil of it weighs 100g easy.

Pavlov is the best PSVR2 game imo. Let me give you a story.

I was trying to figure out the game controls (it's what helps make it) and I had a 50 cal rifle. If you one hand fire this thing, it blow the gun out of your hand. I couldn't pick it up because we were under fire and a guy hurled his side piece at me and you can freaking catch this stuff lol.

I also had another experience where this guy begged for mercy. So I handed him a live grenade that he thought was just a grenade lol.

The community is great when they're chatting. It's my favorite game I've played today.

Srry to alert you as this isn't just for you, but I wanted to ask everyone what is the most social game available right now? I heard pavlov is good for this. Also demeo, but I think that's just with friends. I want a real game but something where you can goof around alot. Maybe that mmo one?

MastAndo

Weird. Mine comes out both by default. But then again I’m using a receiver
Same here. Is there any way to disable that? I want to the TV/soundbar sound to turn off when I have headphones plugged into the VR headset. It turns off when headphones are plugged into the DualSense controller.

Dev1lXYZ

Horizon and Kayak wore me out. 😂. Horizon made me feel like I was in Disney’s Animal Kingdom mixed with Action Park: The Third World setting: First World price gimmick. 😂. It’s one hell of a gimmick though. Bow accuracy was NIL until I used the eye tracking. Even with it on, I had to lead it just a touch for accuracy. So damn disappointed Switchback is MARCH. Star Wars Demo wasn’t for me. The gun holding was annoying that I had to keep R1/L1 held down for grip. I prefer one push of the button, which No Man’s Sky has. That game has a learning curve and the menu system is totally in need of a rework. I played it from launch off and on, and VR mode is totally different than it’s 2D counterpart. GT7 is worth the headset asking price alone. You are inside a highly detailed car and feel the speed much more than 2D. Hitting the sweet spot for comfort and vision is a give and take for me. Great vision, but you feel the plastic of the front headpiece biting into forehead and nose bridge. That’s going to shorten play sessions unless I tinker with it more. It also gets hot quick. I heard stories of a fan inside the thing, yeah, but no head cooling. These aren’t deal breakers at all though to me. I went from PSVR at launch to this at launch and it is very impressive.

Crayon

hmmm. Pondering my play space here. I always had to move the coffee table so I put sliders on the feet. I'm not confined by the camera anymore though. And this cord is a mile long. I think there's a spot where I can have 6'x6' and hardly budge the table. Why am I telling everybody this...

Are those fucking controllers charged yet?!

SRTtoZ

Welp. And just like that I'm a FUCKING BELIEVER. HOLY SHIT.

ZERO issues setting this bad boy up in my small ass game room. Everything just worked. The hardest part was figuring out how to get the perfect headset placement on my fat head with my rayban wayfarer glasses but I eventually got it and once you get it, you never have to readjust it unless you let someone else use the headset. The first thing I did was launch Dead Space in theater mode just to see what it was like. Just FYI my TV is a 55" LG CX OLED and I was playing the game on fidelity mode which is 4k/30. I knew that cinematic mode only supports 1080p so I turned on performance mode and it still looks phenomenal. It was like I was sitting in the front row of an empty movie theater playing Dead Space. HOLY SHIT ITS FUCKING AWESOME. The person who said cinematic mode was too small??? WHAT? First off you can adjust the size. It's set really small by default but I made it the biggest and it's perfect, maybe even too big since you have to turn your head to see the corners. If the cinematic mode is ever off kilter to the top or bottom just hit the pass through button, recenter your head forward and his the pass through again and it should recalibrate itself to be perfectly centered in front of you.

Second thing I did was test ouf actual VR. I'm a first timer. I loaded up Kayak VR Mirage and was blown away. It's like I was in a hotel swimming pool taking Kayak lessons. It's so damn cool and its damn hard work on your arms. I was playing in a Razer gaming chair so I had to lower the arms to not get in the way of the paddling but that's an easy fix. I then went to Norway and tested out some of the different settings, day, night, storm etc and it's beautiful. It's more of a showing off VR game but I'm okay with that. I then loaded up the Star Wars demo and damn was I blown away. First it looks fantastic but I love how everything seems so damn real. The sense of scale on the alien behind the bar is something. He's like 8 feet tall. It really makes me want to purchase it to just run around in a star wars universe for 10 hours and gain some achievements. After the demo I was getting low on charge so I attached them to my charger and came to the forums to check everyone elses impressions. So far it's a winner and I haven't even played the good stuff yet like RE8, GT7, Horizon etc. I don't get the blurry-ness everyone is complaining about. Is it 4k pin sharp? No, but I never expected that. The games are drop dead gorgeous though and I never noticed the foveated rendering that's happening behind the scenes. The eye tracking is damn near perfect. Sony has to now put out the agme and this thing will be a clear winner. The hardware is phenomenal.

Edit: Also in the Star Wars game. I turned all of the fucking motion sickness bullshit. I want free movement!! No teleporting nonsense with me. I get how people get sick because it's off putting at first but I want that fucking IMMERSION. FULL STOP.
Edit2: Shit looks like IGN gave it a great review based on all the new stuff they added for PSVR2. I heard the first 3 hours is a slog but after that the game shines. I'm gonna pull the trigger so I can support games like this.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
RE8 is not a scary game. RE7, specially the run down house was 100x more frightening than anything in RE8.

Yeah, I am going to try RE8 for a couple hours I'm sure, but I still feel like I need to get through RE7 first, so I don't know. I might just end up liking RE8 so much I decide to skip RE7 with the excuse I'll wait for a VR upgrade which makes no sense because if it's that scary flat, there's no way I'd be able to handle it in VR, same with Alien Isolation probably, now that game would be terrifying in VR especially when it's above you.

ZERO issues setting this bad boy up in my small ass game room. Everything just worked. The hardest part was figuring out how to get the perfect headset placement on my fat head with my rayban wayfarer glasses but I eventually got it and once you get it, you never have to readjust it unless you let someone else use the headset. The first thing I did was launch Dead Space in theater mode just to see what it was like. Just FYI my TV is a 55" LG CX OLED and I was playing the game on fidelity mode which is 4k/30. I knew that cinematic mode only supports 1080p so I turned on performance mode and it still looks phenomenal. It was like I was sitting in the front row of an empty movie theater playing Dead Space. HOLY SHIT ITS FUCKING AWESOME. The person who said cinematic mode was too small??? WHAT? First off you can adjust the size. It's set really small by default but I made it the biggest and it's perfect, maybe even too big since you have to turn your head to see the corners. If the cinematic mode is ever off kilter to the top or bottom just hit the pass through button, recenter your head forward and his the pass through again and it should recalibrate itself to be perfectly centered in front of you.

Second thing I did was test ouf actual VR. I'm a first timer. I loaded up Kayak VR Mirage and was blown away. It's like I was in a hotel swimming pool taking Kayak lessons. It's so damn cool and its damn hard work on your arms. I was playing in a Razer gaming chair so I had to lower the arms to not get in the way of the paddling but that's an easy fix. I then went to Norway and tested out some of the different settings, day, night, storm etc and it's beautiful. It's more of a showing off VR game but I'm okay with that. I then loaded up the Star Wars demo and damn was I blown away. First it looks fantastic but I love how everything seems so damn real. The sense of scale on the alien behind the bar is something. He's like 8 feet tall. It really makes me want to purchase it to just run around in a star wars universe for 10 hours and gain some achievements. After the demo I was getting low on charge so I attached them to my charger and came to the forums to check everyone elses impressions. So far it's a winner and I haven't even played the good stuff yet like RE8, GT7, Horizon etc. I don't get the blurry-ness everyone is complaining about. Is it 4k pin sharp? No, but I never expected that. The games are drop dead gorgeous though and I never noticed the foveated rendering that's happening behind the scenes. The eye tracking is damn near perfect. Sony has to now put out the agme and this thing will be a clear winner. The hardware is phenomenal.
You're in for a treat when you get to Horizon. I haven't tried RE8 yet, but Horizon is by far the most magical/impressive thing I've seen and based on your impressions and thoughts of Kayak, yeah. Get to Horizon soon and really enjoy it! Be sure to play standing though, it's a lot more fun, and also turn off vignetting, there's no motion sickness in Horizon, so it's not needed. I prefer the snap turning left on though, otherwise it looks a bit blurry. But you'll definitely love it I think.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

What control settings are you using for Horizon?

I am using standard ones with gestures and that helped out a lot.

Tried using the analog sticks and started feeling bad so switched back

I hope I can get some good VR legs, GT7 was unfortunately a little too much for me right now despite looking amazing

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Same here. Is there any way to disable that? I want to the TV/soundbar sound to turn off when I have headphones plugged into the VR headset. It turns off when headphones are plugged into the DualSense controller.
I have a feeling you could turn off the soundbar manually. I bet it’s cuz we are using eArc or something

Crayon

Edit: Also in the Star Wars game. I turned all of the fucking motion sickness bullshit. I want free movement!! No teleporting nonsense with me. I get how people get sick because it's off putting at first but I want that fucking IMMERSION. FULL STOP.

Welcome to VR!

I don't VR often but when I do, there is no replacement. I was waiting for it since I was 12 and it keeps getting better.

Kilau

What control settings are you using for Horizon?

I am using standard ones with gestures and that helped out a lot.

Tried using the analog sticks abs started feeling bad so switched back

I hope I can get some good VR legs, GT7 was unfortunately a little too much for me right now despite looking amazing
I did standard but custom adjustment to remove vignette. Arm swinging probably helps a lot with helping your brain deal with the motion disconnect. Snap camera for turn but I found it quicker and easier to just turn my head to change directions when running.

Played horizon two hours, GT7 for like 30, and about 20 of pistol whip haven’t felt sick at all. Headset creates a little discomfort after awhile but i think i have to find the proper adjustments.

I actually find it weird that i didn’t feel sick cause i get nausea pretty commonly and easily

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Played horizon two hours, GT7 for like 30, and about 20 of pistol whip haven’t felt sick at all. Headset creates a little discomfort after awhile but i think i have to find the proper adjustments.

I actually find it weird that i didn’t feel sick cause i get nausea pretty commonly and easily
Does it feel nicer than PSVR?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Games where you move with the joystick get me after 30 min.

ABnormal

Not ideal for Sony right now because I believe cjrrently you can't buy the controllers separately.
Unlike for any of other VR headsets, PSVR 2 launch is a largely marketed event and today there are maybe hundreds of thusands of early users who are trying it for the first time. If even the 1% of them experience some defects, that's enough to flood the service (and the internet).
Most of the issues will be probably rectified with some patches, but the usual percentage of defective units has to be changed, and in that case things sadly can take long times (relatively).

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned

Edit2: Shit looks like IGN gave it a great review based on all the new stuff they added for PSVR2. I heard the first 3 hours is a slog but after that the game shines. I'm gonna pull the trigger so I can support games like this.
Is it blurry like people say even with that high resolution? I thought it's 4k.

Boss Man

Weird how the impressions are either “This is worse than PSVR1!” to “I am fully immersed, I am ascended.” lol.

I guess I anticipated some hype-erbole. To me this is a huge, massive upgrade from PSVR. I’m sure the screen door is still there for people who have eyes for it, but I didn’t notice it. With PSVR I thought something was wrong with the headset and had to learn what it was.

Horizon seemed like a regular TV game visually, that was super impressive. Didn’t find it to be very fun though, doubt I will go beyond the demo. Great intro.

Kayak is insanely immersive, but I couldn’t get out of the tutorial pool without being ready to vomit. Will come back to this hopefully when I get better “legs.”

I was already looking forward to Moss after playing the demo for the first game on PSVR. The new one looks fantastic, probably the first of these games that I’ll complete.

Grant Turismo hype is legit IMO, but between this and Kayaking I just couldn’t stomach much more.
Btw, steering wheels (at least ones under $400) are overrated IMO. Dualsense with motion steering is better.

Pavlov seemed great, but I was already about to fall over after about an hour.

Didn’t get to try Clockwinder but looking forward to it as it is hopefully another easier game to stomach.

Does the motion sickness get better quickly, or at all? I didn’t play PSVR (OG) for long, but from what I remember some games were fine while others were just unplayable for me.

Last edited:

ABnormal

Blurriness is not related to resolution: it depends by the correct placement betweek eyes and screens. It's depends by the small sweet spot of Fresnel lenses. Once everything is correctly set, the image is pretty much entirely on focus. But I didn't get a perfect sharpness yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

SRTtoZ

No, it's not blurry. I think the blur some people are talking about are either they don't have their headset calibrated properly and aligned correctly or they thought every game would be native 4k. The games are running between 60-120fps so some concessions have to be made but when you are inside the world you don't notice the pixels like you would if you were playing on a flat screen. You're in a much more believable world than when you play on a 2d screen where you have a chance to nitpick everything. I didn't notice any screen door effect or anything. I was standing right next to the aliens in the bar in Star Wars, picked up my crazy looking drink and everything was crystal clear with great textures. Even when I brought the drink up to my face it looks real and every believable. I haven't played Horizon yet, but I hear it's clearly the most stunning of the bunch. I can't wait to see what first party comes up with. Man, just imagine a Naughty Dog VR enabled game.

SRTtoZ

I was always someone who called VR a gimmick but it's clear to me that this tech has a place in the industry. PSVR1 was pretty underwhelming because it had to run at such high framerates on a regular PS4 but with PSVR2 being state of the art 4k/OLED/120hz etc, there's really no excuses anymore. They just need to bring the games and I think the sales of PSVR2 will entice first and third parties to create big budget VR games again. I think that's why even PC VR enthusiasts are so happy about PSVR2. They've had enough of the mobile game VR shit and want real big first party big budget VR titles like Half Life, Horizon, GT7, RE7/8 etc.

sendit

First impressions

Horizon (1 hour):
  • no motion sickness
  • vr highlights the scale of how giant the robo-dinosaurs
  • graphics are generally overall good here. Looking closely at the bow in VR and seeing all the gears/internals move is pretty awesome
  • combat is passable/basic
Village (1 Hour):
  • no motion sickness
  • exact replica of the PS5 version
  • dual wielding. holding a knife in one hand with a gun in the other is an amazing experience
  • lack of environmental interactivity in VR breaks the experience a bit
NFL Pro ERA (20 mins):
  • complete failure (possibly user error); wouldn't let me get past the licensee/user agreement selection
Can't say any of those games blew me away (Alyx on PC is the bar for triple A VR). However, I'm saving GT7 until my wheel arrives. Additionally, this is the first VR headset where I didn't feel like I was about to puke within the first 30 minutes. Maybe I didn't play long enough.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

I freaking LOVE LOVE LOVE these controllers. Glad I got the dock too, so I don't have cables going everywhere. I set it up nicely on my desk with my Edge controller. My only complaints with the controllers are they are a pain to figure out how to hold when you have your headset on. I'm sure i'll get used to it but it's the one annoyance I had. I know you can use the pass through but then you have to find the R or L on the inner part and I couldn't make it out very easily in black and white. Whatever, small annoyance. Everything is well built though.

Last edited:
My BIGGEST issue with the first PSVR headset was a grainy layer / screen door looking affect atop games.

Sadly, it seems as though PSVR2 has the same thing.

Like, GT7 has this weird layer of grain atop an otherwise crisp game. Is it my eyeballs , or does VR tech still suck this bad?
Indeed. Sure, the screen door effect is reduced compared to the PSVR1 but I'm seriously considering returning mine because I had not expected it to be this noticeable on the PSVR2.

Reviewers talking about how blown away they were, and how this is the clearest, crispest image of any headset or something.. Okay maybe it is, I don't know? I haven't tried them, but if this is as good as it gets, I can't justify spending this kind of money really. 😕

Don't people find that floating layer of grain jarring?

Last edited:
Top Bottom