• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Bartski

Gold Member
Wow. As a semi VR virgin honestly I'm blown away. This is my first headset and I have seen the light now.

The only downside is I need to take breaks getting a bit dizzy and sweating like a pig but I guess it takes time to tune your brain to this.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I have no issues with VR but the smooth turning in this game just doesn't feel quite right so have it set to snap with smooth motion, just about to hit the castle and the kids have came home :-( will check out later, really digging resident evil in VR, 7 was incredible on the original VR even with the compromised graphics I'd love to see them upgrade it so I can get around to finishing it. When I sold my PSVR and tried to play it flat screen it just isn't the same game, it's such a massive difference being in it than simply playing it 2D.

Will add that Mura effect is more pronounced in this game than any other I've played, more so in the dark scenes but once you get sucked in it fades away

Do you play standing up or sitting down?

Mine was delivered around 7:00 last night and the controller batteries were too low initially, so I got started at around 8:30.

Played only about a half hour of Horizon and became so motion sick I had to stop. I was standing during the initial beginning sequence and the vertical movement nearly killed me.

Might have to jump to Moss instead or something a little less motion-intensive.

dorkimoe

Yeah taking breaks is key and having a fan is a must for me.
I'm trying the fan today and also got some ginger candy coming haha. I also am going to only play moss and maybe try zombieland today. I also want to tweak as many settings as i can to be able to play pavlov, thats the reason i bought this thing

dorkimoe

Mine was delivered around 7:00 last night and the controller batteries were too low initially, so I got started at around 8:30.

Played only about a half hour of Horizon and became so motion sick I had to stop. I was standing during the initial beginning sequence and the vertical movement nearly killed me.

I had the same issues and was like "fine ill settle for moss" Its fucking awesome looking. Im in love with that little mouse

Hawk269

Any word if PokerVRStars game coming to PSVR2? It is a really good game, relaxing to just sit back and play some card games.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Did you use gestures for movement?

Hunnybun

I would say you being more scared of re7 on a TV vs VR puts you in an extreme minority. Never heard that in my life and it was laughable on a TV by comparison for me and everyone I knew.

Yeah I don't know what to tell you. It sounds weird to say playing on a TV could be more immersive than VR but that's honestly how I felt. I could try to explain it, about how the low res makes it so immediately a game and not real, but you'd think that would go double for the fact that the alternative is looking at a screen, but somehow with the latter I can just get lost in the experience and stop even noticing my surroundings.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Christ on a bike, the castle in Resi8 is a work of art, the intricate detail on everything is phenomenal, even the wife was blown away exploring it till one of the sisters showed up and she's near had a heart attack. Seriously the work Capcom have put into this is incredible, it's as detailed and architecturally accurate as any European castle I've been in. I really do hope there's a bonus VR mode for Hogwarts Legacy to simply just wander the castle and Hogsmeade.

That castle is hands down the best looking thing I've seen in a videogame and fucking hell at the size of your lady!

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Asked in the other thread already but. How does it fit with glasses, anyone tried it yet? Is there enough space, does it touch the lenses? And how does the Foveated rendering work with glasses.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Asked in the other thread already but. How does it fit with glasses, anyone tried it yet? Is there enough space, does it touch the lenses? And how does the Foveated rendering work with glasses.
I haven't tried with my glasses yet, but many of the official videos show it being worn with glasses. On top of this it should be similar to PSVR1 in which it wasn't a problem for me and just in case I ordered some rubber bumpers I stuck inside to protect the lenses.

No idea about glasses affecting the foveate rendering or eye-tracking. Best bet might be to check the FAQ or Reddit.

EDIT: Forgot to mention you can also order prescription lens inserts online.

Last edited:

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Looking for impressions of the following games if anyone bought them:

Cities VR
Townsmen VR
My wife plays games now and then. She wasn’t convinced by PSVR2 but I set it up while she was out and had an hour or so on Kayak and RE8. When she came home I let her have a go As she wanted to see what all the fuss with me checking my emails every 5 minutes was the previous day. She liked Kayak and was amazed by the sense of scale etc. I bought Townsmen with her in mind as well as she likes RTS/Tower Defence/Building games. I put that on for her and she’s probably put in about 8 hours at least so far Since yesterday.
She LOVES it. Nice gentle pace, nice sense of progression, lots of attention to detail (she pointed out that you can see people working in the mines, the eagles swoop down and seize rabbits and so on). The graphical style is nice and clean and suits the game and tech. Controls are intuitive, she’s had no problems picking them up. She’s been seated playing it so no real concerns about motion sickness. The only minor complaint is that it can be easy to knock townsmen over by accident when you’re placing or picking stuff up (you don’t have to do this but you can do it to give them a hand).

PanzerCute

Finally received my headset today after UPS fucked up yesterday.

Coming from Psvr1 this is a HUGE upgrade and its above my expectations in terms of IQ. Of course you are not watching your fancy 4k korean oled TV, but this is a big step up in the right direction.

For now, I played two races in GT7. Quite impressive to be honest, the feeling of speed is incredible and I think they made a great, great job in terms of visual fidelity compared to the flat version.

Kayak is also really impressive in terms of visuals, and looks even sharper than GT7. The thing is that game made me realize I need to get my VR legs back, so I didnt play too much and had to take a break.

Then I just showed Moss to my girlfriend, a game I absolutely adored on PSVR1, and I have to say the upgrade is also beyond my expectations. OK they didnt offer an upgrade path, but damn they didnt half assed that PS5 version. Really look forward to finishing that game again, and finally play Book 2!

All in all, Im delighted with my purchase and Im really excited to play all the other games I purchased. I went full retard and bought 12 games already :D

Enjoy your time with PSVR2, guys! Hope you are having a blast like me!

Gamerguy84

Any word if PokerVRStars game coming to PSVR2? It is a really good game, relaxing to just sit back and play some card games.

Along the same lines I would love to play a monopoly, uno, or along those lines with my kids and wife. I don't think they are interested in Demeo.

Hawk269

My wife plays games now and then. She wasn’t convinced by PSVR2 but I set it up while she was out and had an hour or so on Kayak and RE8. When she came home I let her have a go As she wanted to see what all the fuss with me checking my emails every 5 minutes was the previous day. She liked Kayak and was amazed by the sense of scale etc. I bought Townsmen with her in mind as well as she likes RTS/Tower Defence/Building games. I put that on for her and she’s probably put in about 8 hours at least so far Since yesterday.
She LOVES it. Nice gentle pace, nice sense of progression, lots of attention to detail (she pointed out that you can see people working in the mines, the eagles swoop down and seize rabbits and so on). The graphical style is nice and clean and suits the game and tech. Controls are intuitive, she’s had no problems picking them up. She’s been seated playing it so no real concerns about motion sickness. The only minor complaint is that it can be easy to knock townsmen over by accident when you’re placing or picking stuff up (you don’t have to do this but you can do it to give them a hand).
Thanks for this. I have not read a ton of the game, but what is the goal of the game? Is it like a Cities game where you manage the town and you have to achieve something?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
My only complaint with the comfort on the headset is that it places a lot of stress on the forehead and back of your head

If I strap it in too tight I can feel my pulse in my head

I have an oculus and while that has a “goggles” feel to it around the eyes, the weight seems more evenly distributed

Not sure which I prefer more but it’s kinda hard to play psvr2 for long sessions so far

So, the hardware is excellent. It truly works great, the foveated rendering works flawlessly, and it's comfortable. The controllers work well. I do prefer the index controllers, but it's an extremely minor thing. I have very large hands.

The games, so far, are ok. GT7 is a blast, but I don't think it'll sell units because to be fun, you need a racing cab. . Call of the Mountain is good. That's the extent of my praise, it's a cool game, some amazing views and interesting puzzles, but it's not the game I'd recommend if you could only afford one with the console. Moss 2 is great, but not a show piece. I'm trying Pavlov tonight, and I definitely need to get to RE8, but that's something I need to be home alone for.

basically, the hardware wows me, but the software leaves me wanting. I really hoped they would have Star Trek Bridge Crew and Half-Life Alyx at launch. Especially bridge crew, because I have friends without other VR who really want to play it. I'm excited for the hardware if it sells well, because it's truly an excellent headset. I only wish it was PC compatible,

Last edited:

Soosa

Banned
Not really good with glasses.

Feels unconfortable and maybe makes Image bit blurry because you cant adjust them so freely.

Also every small smudge or scratch makes distracting flares/halos.

Not unplayable but not a good experience. Depends of the shape of glasses too I guess.

Imo psvr2 image quality is a bit disapointment, edges of Image(like last 20%) are not sharp at all, which makes text / Image blurry.

And screen door effect is easily visible on all content all the time.

Maybe it gets better after time and i have no experience of high end vr so hard to compare

Maybe I'm being harsh. I don't mean to imply that the FOV is bad compared to other headsets because I'm sure it isn't. Like I said, I was probably naive to think that the expansion to 110 would more or less eliminate the problem, but it's more like just a decent step in the right direction.

I'm going to try it again in a bit: I still think I might not be wearing it right tbh - I'm going to try having the back of the halo further down my head, as suggested above. Both times I've worn it for extended periods it's felt really tight and left clear marks on my head.
Yeh that tightness and marks on the head is when the back is too high, I made the same mistake the first time as well. It makes it feel that you have to tighten it more and more because it feels like it’s going to fall down. But with the back really nicely down all those issues is not there

SRTtoZ

really surprised with Star Wars Galaxys Edge game, the demo sold me that was fun and looks great on PS VR2
It's so cool. Just being able to pick stuff up and store it, then look at your little computer on your left arm and being able to press the buttons. I have no idea what I'm doing but im having fun lol. I'm a space clutz.

So, the hardware is excellent. It truly works great, the foveated rendering works flawlessly, and it's comfortable. The controllers work well. I do prefer the index controllers, but it's an extremely minor thing. I have very large hands.

The games, so far, are ok. GT7 is a blast, but I don't think it'll sell units because to be fun, you need a racing cab. . Call of the Mountain is good. That's the extent of my praise, it's a cool game, some amazing views and interesting puzzles, but it's not the game I'd recommend if you could only afford one with the console. Moss 2 is great, but not a show piece. I'm trying Pavlov tonight, and I definitely need to get to RE8, but that's something I need to be home alone for.

basically, the hardware wows me, but the software leaves me wanting. I really hoped they would have Star Trek Bridge Crew and Half-Life Alyx at launch. Especially bridge crew, because I have friends without VR who really want to play it. I'm excited for the hardware if it sells well, because it's truly an excellent headset. I only wish it was PC compatible,
Try What the Bat, it’s super fun 😁

Christ on a bike, the castle in Resi8 is a work of art, the intricate detail on everything is phenomenal, even the wife was blown away exploring it till one of the sisters showed up and she's near had a heart attack. Seriously the work Capcom have put into this is incredible, it's as detailed and architecturally accurate as any European castle I've been in. I really do hope there's a bonus VR mode for Hogwarts Legacy to simply just wander the castle and Hogsmeade.

That castle is hands down the best looking thing I've seen in a videogame and fucking hell at the size of your lady!
Can you slap her on that boo-tay?

SRTtoZ

Just to be sure. Is there any plastic peel on the lenses? I don't want to start nipping at it if nothing is there lol.

Wow. As a semi VR virgin honestly I'm blown away. This is my first headset and I have seen the light now.

The only downside is I need to take breaks getting a bit dizzy and sweating like a pig but I guess it takes time to tune your brain to this.
I feel you, it’s my second headset after psvr1 and I too have motion issues 🤣. It’ll go away though apparently if you play often enough, so there’s hoping that one day you and I can play without the dizziness

Hawk269

Is PSVR 2 available at retail anywhere in the US? I think UPS has lost my pre-order.
Nope. I was in Best Buy a few days ago and they said they have no idea if they will carry it....they said Sony is the only one selling it in the States. One reason they gave is to avoid scalpers.

SRTtoZ

Are there any other hidden gems besides Moss 1 and 2? Not talking about the big games like RE8, Horizon, GT7, Star Wars. Any of the smaller games that were built for VR like Moss 1 and 2? Those are blowing me the fuck away so far and I want anything that's close to that quality.

I’ve been looking at that. It’s same dev as What the Golf right? That game was super fun.
Yep it’s the same silliness but now in VR. The controls and mechanics are awesome. Also, when you look at the graphics in a trailer it looks like nothing special, but somehow the simple graphics really enhance the experience in this game. Feeling of depth and sense of being there is amazing and the bats control super accurate.

You start as a baby so everything you see in the first few levels is from the perspective of a tiny baby. It’s pretty amazing! You’ll see when you try it.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
My only complaint with the comfort on the headset is that it places a lot of stress on the forehead and back of your head

If I strap it in too tight I can feel my pulse in my head

I have an oculus and while that has a “goggles” feel to it around the eyes, the weight seems more evenly distributed

Not sure which I prefer more but it’s kinda hard to play psvr2 for long sessions so far

I wonder if it'll get better after a few weeks, though everyone is different. I know after a couple hours I had to stop my first session, probably had it on too tight, left a nice imprint on my forehead for a little bit, but until the end it felt totally fine. I do see people saying they manage 5+ hours on it without a problem, so hopefully after a bit it gets more comfortable/worn in.

Markio128

Gold Member
I play with glasses and I haven’t had any issues and the foveated rendering can’t be affected because I ran through the eye tracking set up without any problems. Also, I can have the headset pretty snug without my glasses touching the lenses.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I play with glasses and I haven’t had any issues and the foveated rendering can’t be affected because I ran through the eye tracking set up without any problems. Also, I can have the headset pretty snug without my glasses touching the lenses.
Not really good with glasses.

Feels unconfortable and maybe makes Image bit blurry because you cant adjust them so freely.

Also every small smudge or scratch makes distracting flares/halos.

Not unplayable but not a good experience. Depends of the shape of glasses too I guess.

Imo psvr2 image quality is a bit disapointment, edges of Image(like last 20%) are not sharp at all, which makes text / Image blurry.

And screen door effect is easily visible on all content all the time.

Maybe it gets better after time and i have no experience of high end vr so hard to compare
Thnx, i think i need to try it out before buying to be sure. But its nice to hear that Foveated rendering works with glasses thnx Markio128 Markio128

Nope. I was in Best Buy a few days ago and they said they have no idea if they will carry it....they said Sony is the only one selling it in the States. One reason they gave is to avoid scalpers.

Sigh...this sucks. UPS said call the sender because there was an issue with the scan or something. On hold and been waiting 30mins for PS to answer.
Damn it...

XXL

Are there any other hidden gems besides Moss 1 and 2? Not talking about the big games like RE8, Horizon, GT7, Star Wars. Any of the smaller games that were built for VR like Moss 1 and 2? Those are blowing me the fuck away so far and I want anything that's close to that quality.
Pistol Whip and Kayak VR

Markio128

Gold Member
I wonder if it'll get better after a few weeks, though everyone is different. I know after a couple hours I had to stop my first session, probably had it on too tight, left a nice imprint on my forehead for a little bit, but until the end it felt totally fine. I do see people saying they manage 5+ hours on it without a problem, so hopefully after a bit it gets more comfortable/worn in.
It’s been over a year since I played PSVR, so I only play for an hour or so before taking a break. I think it’s sensible to build your VR legs gradually, otherwise it could put you off playing altogether.

I’ve found that GT7 has been the game in VR less likely to make me feel nauseous as long as I don’t look up and down too often. Kayak VR isn’t far behind either, but it can give me a slight twinge if a turn quickly.

The only one that made me feel like I was plummeting to Earth was NMS when using smooth controls. I reckon I need to use teleport with that one. It’s weird because Star Wars was fine.

Minsc

Gold Member
No, I was using sticks. I will be switching next time I boot it up.

It was actually at its worst when I was doing the rock climbing. Standing stationary while doing so was tough to endure.

I got a little queasy with GT7 sitting until i repositioned the POV to a better angle, and Kayak as well. But Horizon gave me no motion sickness at all, and the climbing was pretty fun standing with the motion controls, it felt really accurate and responsive. The game is just a delight to be in and explore around though.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Song in the Smoke and Saints and Sinners Chapters 1 and 2

Top Bottom