• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have never tried any VR set. This looks really nice graphic wise. Is the movement and head movement smooth? Looks kinda shaky or jerky from this video but maybe it’s different when actually playing yourself.
It’s smooth. You have to be wearing it vs viewing it. Just like viewing a “shaky cam” vs your own head bobbing IRL.

SCB3

Hons VR seems to be relatively new to the game, but Redditors were saying their prescription lenses are good and really affordable.

The lens are priced starting at $50. With my prescription it went up by $10. Not bad when comparing to reloptix for example ($80).

https://honsvr.com/product/psvr-2-prescription-lenses/
Thats pretty cool, I'm long sighted so having VR up that close is strangely fine, but nice to have options

saintjules

Gold Member
Thats pretty cool, I'm long sighted so having VR up that close is strangely fine, but nice to have options

Yeah that's interesting. I guess for me since I wear glasses more than contacts, I have experienced some smudging on them, which can break the immersion a bit. So this might be the ideal option for me.

Hunnybun

I'm thinking of returning mine tbh.

I've had a quick go on Horizon and RE now and it's the same story as GT7: much better than the first one, but still too compromised to actually be feel like you're in these worlds. The FOV in particular is such an immersion breaker, to the point where I'm not sure that can ever really be solved.

I'll give it a few more hours' play before making my mind up. I figure I can just buy one in a year anyway if there's decent support for it. So yeah, leaning towards sending it back at this point.

kingwingin

Screen seems blurry but I think that’s just my eyes trying too hard to focus. If I go cross eyes on close up objects they get sharper.

Picked up job simulator but my play area was too small, wasn’t in the mood to start moving furniture around. Ended up playing the Star Wars demo and man, I loved it! Getting shot at felt so real.

Romulus

I've had a quick go on Horizon and RE now and it's the same story as GT7: much better than the first one, but still too compromised to actually be feel like you're in these worlds. The FOV in particular is such an immersion breaker, to the point where I'm not sure that can ever really be solved.

I'll give it a few more hours' play before making my mind up. I figure I can just buy one in a year anyway if there's decent support for it. So yeah, leaning towards sending it back at this point.

I hear this on game forums routinely. But in real life, even with the psvr1, I demoed it to well over 300 people over the years and never once got this kind of reaction. A mix of tech folks, casuals, everything. Not saying you're lying but it's bizarre that this "meh" opinion is only on forums and even more strange, its routine.

GladiusFrog

Boxed mine up for the return to get a replacement. Only have 30 days and I just don’t want to wait on a firmware update that may or may not fix the issue. Am I jumping the gun here?.

I don't think the controllers themselves are defective, They work fine while setting up the play space. They just don't want to work when booting up the VR games that use them lol. It has to be a firmware bug and it should be addressed quickly, just give it a couple days.

Real bummer, but when new hardware is launched it's natural for some hiccups.

Least I can enjoy GT7 unhindered till the update fixes the VR controllers.

Last edited:

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I noticed Song in the Smoke was one of the “sharpest” games I’ve played so far

Probably cuz that resolution is cranked to the max
Interesting. I find song in the smoke a tad blurry compared to the other games, Kayak too. The sharpest I've seen so far is a game called runner. The first menu you are greeted with is sharp as fuck, and the game looks dope too.

SilentUser

Going to share my two cents about PSVR2 in general:
1. Headset: Light, comfortable and built with high quality materials. The weight is very well distributed and it never felt too heavy or tired to use it (my max play lenght was a little over 2h hours straight).
2. Sense controllers: I absolutely loved them! Fits so well, high quality all around, plus adaptive triggers and haptic feedback adds a lot of immersion.
3. Ease of use: Sony nailed, it is so easy to make things running and to configurate. Very pratical and no, I really don't miss the home other VRs have.
4. Image quality: now that's where I was sadly disappointed. Screen door effect is easy to see, though I got used to it to a point where I forgot about it while playing. Also, it has an all around soft image, probably caused by the lenses Sony chose, even when you hit your sweet point (it is kinda easy to hit it, but it is rather small). That I couldn't completely forget while playing. I honestly think I got overhyped about the IQ and that's all on me, honestly. I was really expecting a better IQ, somewhat closer to 4k TVs. Perhaps next gen?
5. Ear buds: they do their job and I found them very comfortable.

Now about the games I tried:
1. Demeo: What a fantastic title to play with friends, will sure play more tonight. Had some tracking issues, but they were quickly and automatically fixed. I will always recomend this game!
2. Horizon: At first I couldn't get over how soft the IQ is. Put it down and tried again later. Same thing... But decided to move on and started to have a blast when you get your bow and arrow. Oh and the climbing is actually really cool.
3. Light Brigade: I'm a fan of the genre, it is a surprisingly good game. Can't wait to try more! Just wished there was a coop mode, would make this game even better.
4. Resident Evil 8: Surprisingly good, but only a really short time playing it. I'm itching to play more.
5. No Man's Sky: had a quick session and oh my... It is rough! Very blurry all around. Still, was so cool to board on my spaceship again and fly through asteroids. Hopefully they will improve the IQ as, in this case, it appears to be subnative.

So, in the end, will I return the PSVR2? OH HELL NO! Despite its flaws, I'm having a blast using it and the investiment was worth! But I do recomend those over the fance to try it before using it, that's for sure.

Can't wait to see what they have incoming.

Screen seems blurry but I think that’s just my eyes trying too hard to focus. If I go cross eyes on close up objects they get sharper.
Did you do the eye adjustment thing in the VR Startup process? I thought I did it properly, but I was also experiencing some 'cross-eyed' weirdness with close-up objects, so I did the adjustment again and now it's perfect.

Hunnybun

I hear this on game forums routinely. But in real life, even with the psvr1, I demoed it to well over 300 people over the years and never once got this kind of reaction. A mix of tech folks, casuals, everything. Not saying you're lying but it's bizarre that this "meh" opinion is only on forums and even more strange, its routine.

Well I was blown away by the first PSVR because it was novel. Although even then there was a clear difference between an incredible tailored experience like Astrobot and the kind of seriously compromised attempts at recreating reality like RE7 or GT Sport. I always said I found RE7 more scary on tv than in VR simply because it was easier to feel immersed - in VR the low fidelity made it absolutely patent that this was a game, 3D or not.

Anyway, fast forward to now and most of us are fairly used to VR now, so it's just harder to be impressed, I suppose.

TrebleShot

Anyone else get Foveated Rendering on the PS5 home screen? seems anything I focus on is pretty clear but you can see in the periphery its blurry, or like i have to tilt my head to focus on something for it to clarify.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Goddamn Resi8 is an absolute Stormer of a game, first time playing it and the visuals are out to lunch, easily the best looking game I've tried to so far, pipping Horizon due to the insane level of realism. Played upto the part you first meet the old hag.. when I leant in real close to check out her features it was genuinely unnerving the detail in her face and clothes. The entire game up until that point has been one long stressful adventure, sure it lacks the physics and interactivity of other VR games with most of the world simply static but what it lacks in physics (there's only so many tin cans you wanna knock over before you get bored tbh) it makes up in going for that photo realism look, probably my favourite VR game to date, can't wait to see what the castle is like.

Just to add when speaking to old hag when you lean in and move your face side to side she follows you and it's creepy af

Last edited:

CobraAB

I got it today and returned it to Walmart same day. I played 5 hours of it today all GT7.

My thoughts

- GT7 is by far the best driving game on VR. it beats ANYTHING on PC and I tried it all from Valve to Quest 2 ( not to mention the latest one was Project cars 2 which is not even close to GT7 ). but the whole implementation of the GT7 in the game is just breathtaking and stunning ( again, I am talking about the implementation rest to follow )

- Sense controllers I did not use. as I mentioned I only played GT7 because it's the only game that interests me not a fan of horizon games.

- The headset itself.. surprisingly ... not very comfy. after an hour session of gaming, before I take a break, there were some marks on my forehead. Maybe I tilted it harder than it should have, but it always felt like It was about to fall. what makes it worse, there is a specific sweet spot that you need to have your eyes on. the second the head slips even by a little, it is a blurry mess, so you kind of have to tie it hard around your head just to make sure it doesn't slip ( still can but very rarely )

- The TV / Cinema mode for none VR games was also awesome. I was able to play Call of Duty warzone 2 at 120 frames. felt like I am playing in a cinema. no lag or jitter. However, it's blurry. especially around the area where your eyes are not in direct contact. as soon as you look at a specific object, it looks good. but in terms of quality, it doesn't beat the clearance of an actual monitor in front of you. it just feels huge and nice. but it wouldn't be a viable option after the wow factor is gone. especially since well,,, its not a VR game.

All in all honestly its not an bad product. But the lack of games that interest me personally are not that much ( again I really didn't want anything but GT7, I have a huge collection on PC so not worth buying it again ).

it doesn't help the fact we will probably never see it running on PC too. which is another reason it was very hard for me to justify the price for 1 or 2 games in the future.

If this is your first VR or you only game on consoles and has an interest in VR headset. this is a must-buy. but if you are a PC gamer as well as a PS5 gamer or do not have many games you want to play on this thing, then do not spend your money on it. you will regret it. just invest in PC VR for the simple fact the VR community is on PC. even social VR apps are on PC and almost none on PS5.

But yeah. GT7 on VR... kudos to PD. with that alone they destroyed any experience Forza Motorsport will have. ( unless that VR which I do not think it does ) it's really a completely different experience. I was stunned by how detailed and awesome this game in VR. This is coming from a person that barely anything wows me in gaming anymore.

this video is my feeling exactly

Puzzled as to why you even got it in the first place. Your mind seemed pre-determined to not like it.

Lol. It's not all that helpful, is it?

I'm still of two minds whether to go for this, or wait it out for the next Quest, given how much broader PCVR is in terms of content, and the fact I can play wirelessly away from the machine.

Not gonna lie, the problems people are having finding the sweet spot, and the issues around the screen door effect are putting me off.

I've had a great time with Quest 2 wirelessly on PCVR, and I'm really not sure if this is enough of an improvement to jump in.
dude, i'll tell you, unless the $550 is no big deal for you, hold off until the quest 3. you've probably convinced yourself, as i did, that the colors will be so bright and vivid! and the screen will be so CLEAR! it's not. it's not terrible, but it's pretty standard as far as i'm concerned. if you have quest 2, the only difference you'll notice is higher polygonal count in games. still god rays, still a hint of blurriness, still screen door effect, FOV is not even noticeable at 110. feels like 90. i promise you. this is coming from someone that reallllllly was all in on this thing. and i absolutely know how to find the sweet spot, etc. that's not the issue.

dorkimoe

My first impression when I was in the Star Wars cantina (first experience with any Vr ever) was holy shit this is insane. Felt like I was really there. So yeah that’s a weird take

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Goddamn Resi8 is an absolute Stormer of a game, first time playing it and the visuals are out to lunch, easily the best looking game I've tried to so far, pipping Horizon due to the insane level of realism. Played upto the part you first meet the old hag.. when I leant in real close to check out her features it was genuinely unnerving the detail in her face and clothes. The entire game up until that point has been one long stressful adventure, sure it lacks the physics and interactivity of other VR games with most of the world simply static but what it lacks in physics (there's only so many tin cans you wanna knock over before you get bored tbh) it makes up in going for that photo realism look, probably my favourite VR game to date, can't wait to see what the castle is like.

Just to add when speaking to old hag when you lean in and move your face side to side she follows you and it's creepy af

How are you moving in the game?

Smooth turn or snap?

DryvBy

I want to meet m'lady.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
My first impression when I was in the Star Wars cantina (first experience with any Vr ever) was holy shit this is insane. Felt like I was really there. So yeah that’s a weird take

Yeah the visuals are really good in so many games and a massive leap forward over what I’ve played previous.

Like seriously night and day RE8 vs RE7

It still has a kind of “VR look” to things but it’s highly impressive

CobraAB

My left controller is completely fucked. The games won't recognize it (which is weird because the left stick works only when navigating the PS5 menu). When I get to the part at the start of Horizon where you have to climb the ladder, L2 is broken so I can't grab anything, I climb the ladder with my right hand only, and when you get to the guy who says push the L stick forward to move forward, no buttons register at all. Lovely.
I knew there was a reason I have so far held off. 🤔

TexMex

I don't think the controllers themselves are defective, They work fine while setting up the play space. They just don't want to work when booting up the VR games that use them lol. It has to be a firmware bug and it should be addressed quickly, just give it a couple days.

Real bummer, but when new hardware is launched it's natural for some hiccups.

Least I can enjoy GT7 unhindered till the update fixes the VR controllers.

This makes sense and maybe I’m being overly cautious because the fact that they work perfect does scream software bug, but the fact that the majority work despite all being on the same firmware makes me wonder.

Kirkio

The first 5 minutes on horizon were incredible for me, didn't have much trouble finding the sweet spot like I see people mentioning.. Unfortunately for me though I am considering sending it back, I have amblyopia and after that first five minutes I felt really ill and lost all sense of balance irl for a few hours.

I've tried it another 4 times with different games and the same thing happens. I know people say you need to get your VR legs but I'm thinking it's more to do with my eye condition. Proper gutted because I've been looking forward to it and like I said the first 5 min was amazing.

My wife tried it and said it was so clear she literally couldnt believe it, fell off the sofa when on kayak because she wanted to lay on the beach ha.

Damn my weak crap eye to hell!

I got it today and returned it to Walmart same day. I played 5 hours of it today all GT7.

My thoughts

- GT7 is by far the best driving game on VR. it beats ANYTHING on PC and I tried it all from Valve to Quest 2 ( not to mention the latest one was Project cars 2 which is not even close to GT7 ). but the whole implementation of the GT7 in the game is just breathtaking and stunning ( again, I am talking about the implementation rest to follow )

- Sense controllers I did not use. as I mentioned I only played GT7 because it's the only game that interests me not a fan of horizon games.

- The headset itself.. surprisingly ... not very comfy. after an hour session of gaming, before I take a break, there were some marks on my forehead. Maybe I tilted it harder than it should have, but it always felt like It was about to fall. what makes it worse, there is a specific sweet spot that you need to have your eyes on. the second the head slips even by a little, it is a blurry mess, so you kind of have to tie it hard around your head just to make sure it doesn't slip ( still can but very rarely )

- The TV / Cinema mode for none VR games was also awesome. I was able to play Call of Duty warzone 2 at 120 frames. felt like I am playing in a cinema. no lag or jitter. However, it's blurry. especially around the area where your eyes are not in direct contact. as soon as you look at a specific object, it looks good. but in terms of quality, it doesn't beat the clearance of an actual monitor in front of you. it just feels huge and nice. but it wouldn't be a viable option after the wow factor is gone. especially since well,,, its not a VR game.

All in all honestly its not an bad product. But the lack of games that interest me personally are not that much ( again I really didn't want anything but GT7, I have a huge collection on PC so not worth buying it again ).

it doesn't help the fact we will probably never see it running on PC too. which is another reason it was very hard for me to justify the price for 1 or 2 games in the future.

If this is your first VR or you only game on consoles and has an interest in VR headset. this is a must-buy. but if you are a PC gamer as well as a PS5 gamer or do not have many games you want to play on this thing, then do not spend your money on it. you will regret it. just invest in PC VR for the simple fact the VR community is on PC. even social VR apps are on PC and almost none on PS5.

But yeah. GT7 on VR... kudos to PD. with that alone they destroyed any experience Forza Motorsport will have. ( unless that VR which I do not think it does ) it's really a completely different experience. I was stunned by how detailed and awesome this game in VR. This is coming from a person that barely anything wows me in gaming anymore.

this video is my feeling exactly

I was absolutely stunned and tried only 1 VR game. Yes sounds like an awesome reason to return it lol. What a bs lol. It's amazing how much you supposedly praise the hardware and software and then go on to return it lol. Didn't even bother to try the sense controllers. Headset is very comfy but you have to put it on right. The back part of the ring should be quite low on the head and if you tighten it just right it feels like maybe 5 grams only rest on your forehead. I don't have any marks after using it multiple times now, and also my wife, no marks or feeling of pressure at all.

A 110 degree fov is pretty generous, why would you even need more? Most of the things you do is turn around your head, and not move your eyes to extreme left and right.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Apparently NMS is a bit rough when it comes to the upgrade. Haven't played myself, but AJ from Without Parole and many others have talked about it.

Might want to hold off if you were considering getting that right away.

Also, there's a State of Play today with more games being shown/announced. Can't wait!

dude, i'll tell you, unless the $550 is no big deal for you, hold off until the quest 3. you've probably convinced yourself, as i did, that the colors will be so bright and vivid! and the screen will be so CLEAR! it's not. it's not terrible, but it's pretty standard as far as i'm concerned. if you have quest 2, the only difference you'll notice is higher polygonal count in games. still god rays, still a hint of blurriness, still screen door effect, FOV is not even noticeable at 110. feels like 90. i promise you. this is coming from someone that reallllllly was all in on this thing. and i absolutely know how to find the sweet spot, etc. that's not the issue.
Lol, sounds like you put on your headset wrongly. Fov is awesome and there are no god rays. Maybe you forgot to put your lenses closer to your eyes or whatever. There is some mura effect though.

XXL

Is this post a joke? The Quest 2 and PSVR 2 are NOT the same at all. Learn to put it on properly or go get your eyes checked.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
How are you moving in the game?

Smooth turn or snap?
I have no issues with VR but the smooth turning in this game just doesn't feel quite right so have it set to snap with smooth motion, just about to hit the castle and the kids have came home :-( will check out later, really digging resident evil in VR, 7 was incredible on the original VR even with the compromised graphics I'd love to see them upgrade it so I can get around to finishing it. When I sold my PSVR and tried to play it flat screen it just isn't the same game, it's such a massive difference being in it than simply playing it 2D.

Will add that Mura effect is more pronounced in this game than any other I've played, more so in the dark scenes but once you get sucked in it fades away

Last edited:

Hunnybun

A 110 degree fov is pretty generous, why would you even need more? Most of the things you do is turn around your head, and not move your eyes to extreme left and right.

To me it doesn't feel like much of an improvement over the last one, although how biased that memory is I'm not sure. But it still fundamentally feels like looking through a window into a world rather than being in a world, and so that's a huge problem for immersion for me. I was probably naive to expect more, but there you go.

To me it doesn't feel like much of an improvement over the last one, although how biased that memory is I'm not sure. But it still fundamentally feels like looking through a window into a world rather than being in a world, and so that's a huge problem for immersion for me. I was probably naive to expect more, but there you go.
If you just look forward 110 fov covers most of your main vision, until you start turning your eyes that is. I can see 110 might be not enough if you like to turn your eyes instead of your head but otherwise it’s pretty flawless (not as perfect as 180 fov of course but that we might get in 10 to 15 years from now with a high enough resolution to make it feasible).

Hunnybun

If you just look forward 110 fov covers most of your main vision, until you start turning your eyes that is. I can see 110 might be not enough if you like to turn your eyes instead of your head but otherwise it’s pretty flawless (not as perfect as 180 fov of course but that we might get in 10 to 15 years from now with a high enough resolution to make it feasible).

Maybe I'm being harsh. I don't mean to imply that the FOV is bad compared to other headsets because I'm sure it isn't. Like I said, I was probably naive to think that the expansion to 110 would more or less eliminate the problem, but it's more like just a decent step in the right direction.

I'm going to try it again in a bit: I still think I might not be wearing it right tbh - I'm going to try having the back of the halo further down my head, as suggested above. Both times I've worn it for extended periods it's felt really tight and left clear marks on my head.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Interesting read from a PCVR user/developer. His posts check out.

Can't not wait to try this shit!!!
EDIT: I just had my first experience of a VR replay in GT7. Holy. Cow. If you haven't tried this yet, go do it! You're literally standing roadside on the track, you stand there and admire the weather, track assets, cars, etc. It's so nice and relaxing, and whoa, are those ground textures amazing in VR or what? Really sets the bar high.

dorkimoe

I have never tried any VR set. This looks really nice graphic wise. Is the movement and head movement smooth? Looks kinda shaky or jerky from this video but maybe it’s different when actually playing yourself.
I always thought the same thing. i was like who the fuck wants to play this janky shit. But its just how it plays on the tv. Inside the headset its so much better. hands dont just float in the air

SRTtoZ

I had to pause Moss to tell people who haven't played it or are new to VR to BUY MOSS. This fucking game rules and it was made for VR. It's like a god damn Disney ride or something. It's so gorgeous too on PSVR2. I bought the bundle that was remastered for PSVR2. This game is so damn adorable.

Last edited:

Haint

Assuming PS5VR can run it (I would think so!) it's as good as done. Valve has had years to use it to push their hardware (which they routinely abandon), and Sony would definitely be willing to pay for it.

Even if you start from a capable PC, it would be cheaper to buy a PS5, PSVR2 and HL: Alyx than to purchase the Valve Index VR kit. Easier access means more software sales, which is Valve's bread and butter.

It's a win/win from both sides.

Don't think Alyx is going to happen as long as Sony explicitly pays third parties to keep VR games off Steam/PCVR (notably the RE's), nevermind PC ports of their own first party VR games. Valve also has a new impending VR headset codenamed Deckard they'll be wanting to incentivize.

Romulus

Well I was blown away by the first PSVR because it was novel. Although even then there was a clear difference between an incredible tailored experience like Astrobot and the kind of seriously compromised attempts at recreating reality like RE7 or GT Sport. I always said I found RE7 more scary on tv than in VR simply because it was easier to feel immersed - in VR the low fidelity made it absolutely patent that this was a game, 3D or not.

Anyway, fast forward to now and most of us are fairly used to VR now, so it's just harder to be impressed, I suppose.

I would say you being more scared of re7 on a TV vs VR puts you in an extreme minority. Never heard that in my life and it was laughable on a TV by comparison for me and everyone I knew.

Top Bottom