• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Markio128

Gold Member
Thnx, i think i need to try it out before buying to be sure. But its nice to hear that Foveated rendering works with glasses thnx Markio128 Markio128
Btw, I don’t have the same issue as the other guy, likely because I look after my glasses 😂
The only thing I make sure of is that my glasses are pushed as close to my face as possible before I place on the headset.

To all those that are experiencing motion sickness, it WILL get better the more you use it. Just make sure to stop playing the moment you start to feel fuzzy, don't push trough, you'll regret it. I've been there :)
Just keep playing on a regular basis and you will start to feel less and less motion sickness. It may take a couple of weeks though...

Minsc

Gold Member
That mini golf game is going to be sweet, apparently it's like 50% of the reason to own a Quest 2 I've read. And Pinball FX when it eventually releases will bankrupt me (well at least cost me $400+ I'm sure). That game is going to so much fun in VR, hopefully they can release it this year so I'm not stuck with over 100 tables to catch up on.

I still have to split my gaming time between flat games and other stuff like Final Bar Line, so if I can pickup one or two great games a month, that is more than enough for me (not counting the launch window which will provide a good ~20 games to jump start my PSVR2 library).

MastAndo

Do these Dramamine ginger chews work well for motion sickness?

Thanks, as someone new to VR, every little bit helps.

I'm not experiencing motion sickness (yet), but there's a strong feeling of disorientation going on, like I can't get my bearings. Damn near fell through my TV playing Horizon last night, had to stick to seated after that lol...it sucks though since you can't expand the seated area and I've got some long ass arms.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Did a quick run of RE8 VR tutorial - and Capcom has seemingly took lessons from previous VR shooters and implemented them here.

There seems to be a "Virtual Stock" mechanism at play here when you aim down the barrel with a shotgun or long guns - the back of the rifle "soft locks" onto your chin (or approximate location) so you can look down the sights easier. IIRC this was a setting the big VR shooters were all playing with back in the day, and it's great to see that implementation polished to a such a state that it's reached console VR. It makes long guns and rifles much more usable without using a stock accessory.

Game defaulted to snap turning - smooth turning is also an option. Vignetting is also on by default - though not so sure if that one can be toggled off yet since I haven't seriously tuned it.

There is a "gun assisted" mode where reload is automatic and no need to chamber a round. Makes the game more of an arcade experience.

The one negative - PSVR2 touch controllers are too big to hold a pistol comfortably with two hands. It does work though, but it will take some time to adjust to controller positioning.

( I'm more of a traditional shooting stance/form enthusiast despite never firing a proper firearm in my life - thanks to hours of H3VR on PC. )

There is almost a universal set of mechanics in VR shooting for guns and rifles, as the way those guns actually function have more impact in VR than it does on a flat screen. Watching devs adopt and share things they came up with in the PC space has been pretty interesting.

If this is the baseline of how RE4 VR will work, then we're in for a pretty good time when that rolls around.

RE4 VR already exists (but not in remake form of course), and yes, it does work pretty much like that. Fully interactive guns that you grab from different places on your body etc. The remake is a completely separate thing of course, but it would definitely be disappointing if the interactivity was WORSE than in the Quest 2 version.

The only downside with that version for me was that free movement and aiming made the game MUCH easier than the original, which obviously wasn't designed with that in mind.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
To all those that are experiencing motion sickness, it WILL get better the more you use it. Just make sure to stop playing the moment you start to feel fuzzy, don't push trough, you'll regret it. I've been there :)
Just keep playing on a regular basis and you will start to feel less and less motion sickness. It may take a couple of weeks though...

Once you get VR legs can you lose it if you don’t play VR for a few months?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

I'm not experiencing motion sickness (yet), but there's a strong feeling of disorientation going on, like I can't get my bearings. Damn near fell through my TV playing Horizon last night, had to stick to seated after that lol...it sucks though since you can't expand the seated area and I've got some long ass arms.

Lol I almost fell over playing horizon

Got to a part where there’s a table and I legit tried to rest my arm on it like an idiot

Bartski

Gold Member

I'm not experiencing motion sickness (yet), but there's a strong feeling of disorientation going on, like I can't get my bearings. Damn near fell through my TV playing Horizon last night, had to stick to seated after that lol.
I find standing way less disorienting. I rearranged my office to have around 2x3m space for VR now and I'm a believer

I just noticed something when entering the screen settings in the PS5 system settings.

This is what it says when I have only my PSVR2 turned on:
dKGqFxo.jpg

And this is what it looks like when my TV is turned on:
8exVTdH.jpg

YUV422(HDR)

Why doesn't it say HDR when the PSVR2 is on..? Is this correct or am I doing something wrong here?

Crayon

I went back to horizon and it got ta little more fun. It has a major problem though and idk if everyone is getting this: I love the halo band. Strongly prefer it to the usual headstrap, but everyything has it's pros and cons. A con is that when yyou look far up, the back can get pushed up and move the thing. And in horizon you are looking up a lot.

Otherwise, when I went back, I found that there is a little nuance to the climbing and it was kinda fun.

I hear this on game forums routinely. But in real life, even with the psvr1, I demoed it to well over 300 people over the years and never once got this kind of reaction. A mix of tech folks, casuals, everything. Not saying you're lying but it's bizarre that this "meh" opinion is only on forums and even more strange, its routine.

FOMO -> buyers remorse -> rationalizing

It's mostly innocent behavior from people who love games. The kind who hang out on forums. :>

Though, there's at least one person here who bought it and returned it just so they can troll better for the next 5 years. It happens.

edit: I got a chunk of freeman's post mixed in here.

Last edited:

Crayon

It's time for me to eat a pretty big crow here. I had issues with the visuals, and the launch line up. Mine arrived yesterday even though I had tried to cancel it. I had decided to return it, after not giving it enough of a chance. I dunno why, but last night I decided to give it one more try. I had pew pew'd Horizon as I thought the series was crap personally. I dismissed Star Wars as a demo.

FUCK. ME.

I downloaded the demo for both of them.

I own the first PSVR but not the move controllers.

I was blown away by what is possible with these controls. Throwing a little droid from hand to hand, picking up the items in chests, taking the lid off baskets and throwing it, smashing plates on a barrel, pulling a bow out and drawing an arrow, I mean I felt like a fucking kid and I'm 46 years old.

How wrong I was. Put 150 in my wallet and bought Horizon, Star Wars and Kayak, and upgraded Rez and Thumper. I'm keeping this fucker 🤣🤣👍🤎

This is the greatest hardware indecisiveness journey since GymWolf GymWolf was trying to pick a video card.

acidagfc

Asked in the other thread already but. How does it fit with glasses, anyone tried it yet? Is there enough space, does it touch the lenses? And how does the Foveated rendering work with glasses.
Using it with glasses, no problem at all.
My glasses are rather small, they don't cover my entire fov, so It is a bit clunky in vr as the glasses edge sometimes gets visible.
No extra pressure on the nose when adjusted.
I think lenses touch if I pull the headset all the way in, but my nose starts hurting before that.

Tried using it w/o glasses and I can't see shit, just like irl :D

Last edited:

Kirkio

The first 5 minutes on horizon were incredible for me, didn't have much trouble finding the sweet spot like I see people mentioning.. Unfortunately for me though I am considering sending it back, I have amblyopia and after that first five minutes I felt really ill and lost all sense of balance irl for a few hours.

I've tried it another 4 times with different games and the same thing happens. I know people say you need to get your VR legs but I'm thinking it's more to do with my eye condition. Proper gutted because I've been looking forward to it and like I said the first 5 min was amazing.

My wife tried it and said it was so clear she literally couldnt believe it, fell off the sofa when on kayak because she wanted to lay on the beach ha.

Damn my weak crap eye to hell!
Told the lady I was thinking of sending it back, only to be mocked that a toy is beating me. I'm just gonna play it as often as I can and force my eye to accept it. Just played an hour of Resident Evil, I'm mentally exhausted ha.

Hopefully it won't just turn into a kayak simulator for her once a year, I get the feeling I've been manipulated haha

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Told the lady I was thinking of sending it back, only to be mocked that a toy is beating me. I'm just gonna play it as often as I can and force my eye to accept it. Just played an hour of Resident Evil, I'm mentally exhausted ha.

Hopefully it won't just turn into a kayak simulator for her once a year, I get the feeling I've been manipulated haha

Have you tried something less intense like Moss?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Never in my 42 years have I ever tried VR, just finished a 4 hour session. DAMN

Set up was quick and easy. Horizon was still DLing so went with the STARWARS Demo. As soon as the let you outside and you look at the gun in your hand, toss it from your right to left hand, toss it up in the air with backspin it rotates twice and you grab it. WOW. First wow moment is because of the physics!

Thought I would hate teleporting in a FPS but I didnt actually mind it. Loved testing out and founding out, when your behind cover you can physically peek out and around. VR is so cool. Beat the whole demo in about 30 mins. Then went on to light brigade. This is where the sometimes fuzzyness of the graphics stood out a bit. Not during general gameplay but in text. At certain distances/angles text was hard to read. The game it self is right up my alley. A shooter rougelike. Guns felt great. I know this will be my most played game for the first month.

Decided to slow it down and played tetris. This was cool but also a bit fuzzy again mostly only noticable on text. The intactive backgrounds that just end on flat TV, now some parts of that envelope you 360. Very cool.

After taking a 15 min break I fired up horizon. The scripted little boatride was a bit disappointing, looked a fuzzy when looking at my hands. The dinos seem a bit far away, maybe I just watched that section too many times in previews. After that part I was more impressed. I now now why the went to UE away from Decima! The Physics! The Physics in this game are amazing and on another level from anything in prevous Horizons. The climbing is fun(not sure after 8 hours though) The Bow is well done aswell.

This is the first time my stomach dropped. The first steps of walking(even with swing arms to walk, NOT freeroam) in this made my stomach wobble temporarily. I stopped took a deep breath walked way slower and physically mimiced walking on the spot and I was then fine. After 30 mins I switched to Pavlov. Just did the tutorail gun range but this good guns are accurate and feel punchy. There was no teleporting and free walking for the first time I took it slow. My stomach wobbled a bit so I quit after the tutorial.

Then GT7 for a race. The second your behind the wheel holy shit moment again. Stomach wobble again but goes away again, as I slow down but damn this is Fing immersive, like damn. After 2 short races I quit. Ill take a few hour break, go for a walk. I feel fine but dont want to push it.

Overall had an amazing time, IQ not perfect but still amazing

So happy to read posts like this. You are part of the VR future!

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Thanks for this. I have not read a ton of the game, but what is the goal of the game? Is it like a Cities game where you manage the town and you have to achieve something?
There is a light narrative tutorial running through it that gives you tasks/missions to complete and it opens more options up. It’s not town management as such. You have to grow crops, fend off pirates that sort of thing. There is a sandbox mode where you just play around making stuff and just making sure you have enough resources to keep things going. It’s quite a light game but very charming and chilled out.

lukilladog

The launch seems more terrible than I thought, Horizon was doing 180 viewers at twitch until some italian streamer popped out with 1k just a few moments ago. Even Alyx and Psvr1 did half decent, but this is not drawing any attention.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GT7 is fucking great. I hate, and I mean I hate GT in 2D. It always feels like I’m driving in slow motion.

VR though, fuck man… I get a whole new sense of speed even from the shit early cars.

Resident evil 8 impressions: I love it the way I did 7 and 4 before it. I hate the arms though, really hate them. Gorgeous game though and fun to play.

Controllers died so I didn’t get to play no man’s sky.

also, clean the lenses out of the box. There was 100% a layer of some bullshit on it.

On mine too! I didn't notice how dirty my lenses were until I was gaming for 2 hours. Right before I went to sleep, I checked the lenses and smears were everywhere.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

I'd suggest Walkabout Mini-Golf, personally.

I went back to horizon and it got ta little more fun. It has a major problem though and idk if everyone is getting this: I love the halo band. Strongly prefer it to the usual headstrap, but everyything has it's pros and cons. A con is that when yyou look far up, the back can get pushed up and move the thing. And in horizon you are looking up a lot.

Otherwise, when I went back, I found that there is a little nuance to the climbing and it was kinda fun.

It's time for me to eat a pretty big crow here. I had issues with the visuals, and the launch line up. Mine arrived yesterday even though I had tried to cancel it. I had decided to return it, after not giving it enough of a chance. I dunno why, but last night I decided to give it one more try. I had pew pew'd Horizon as I thought the series was crap personally. I dismissed Star Wars as a demo.

FOMO -> buyers remorse -> rationalizing

It's mostly innocent behavior from people who love games. The kind who hang out on forums. :>

Though, there's at least one person here who bought it and returned it just so they can troll better for the next 5 years. It happens.
i'd say two people.

AddiF

Got mine today and so far I can't use it. I'm getting massive double vision. One screen appears much higher than the other. When setting up the VR, my right eye was constanly getting out of the circle. Left one was fine. Looked like my eyes were cooked. My gf tried it on and it was fine. What in the? I'm shortsighted on the right eye, farsighted on the left and wear prescription glasses. Can I adjust this? The wheel on the headset made no difference :(

sncvsrtoip

Adjusted sweetspot beter (have to put headset qute high on my head) and have a blast racing against sophie ai in gt7 ;d Its so good. In future we probably will have like 8k oled hdr pancake lenses and nobody will remember about flat games.

If Sony doesn’t announce more games/content that I am interested in for the PS VR2 today I might just return it because I don’t see myself using it enough to justify owning it right now.

But I will say if your interested in VR gaming this headset has so much potential. Quick Impressions for anyone that’s interested:

1. GT7 is great and easily the best game I’ve played in VR and I am not a big fan of driving games. The game is beautiful, runs very smooth. This and Kayak VR were the only games that didn’t make me feel nausea after an hour of playing for some reason.
  2. Call of the mountain – Beautiful graphics but I found the game to be boring and just not interesting. I don’t recommend paying full price for this game but it is a good showcase of what the PS VR 2 can do.
  3. RE8 – I had the most motion sickness from this game compared to the other games I played. While the VR experience is top notch for this game, I prefer playing this type of game without VR. It just felt very uncomfortable playing in VR for me because of the quick responses it requires and I didn’t like the control scheme. I’m sure with some twerks to the settings it could be a better experience but I just couldn't see myself playing this type of game from start to finish in VR.
  4. Kayak VR: Mirage – This was my second favorite game for the PSV2. Its very chill, the graphics are photo realistic and the controls/gameplay are really smooth in VR. It’s a good pick-up for $15-$20 that it is right now on PSN.

PSVR 2 Headset impressions:

The setup is quick and easy, even though you have to connect one cord to the PS5 you never notice the cord while playing. My biggest issue with the headset was the front of headband part, no matter how much I adjusted the headset, the front part of the headband would consistently hurt after about 30 mins of playing. They might need to add foam or a better cushion to reduce this problem, idk if anyone else had issues with this.

Long story story: If your already 100% sold on gaming in VR this is a easy pick up. If you’re into driving games, GT7 alone makes owning a PS VR2 worth it but if your on the fence or remotely hesitate I wouldn’t recommend picking this up right now because there just isn't enough content and games that will satisfy your concerns for buying this now.

Last edited:

AddiF

Update. I think my headset is crooked. Right lens/screen appears to be stuck and sits differently than the left one. Also noticed that the framing below the right lens is broken.

Returning.

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member
I know I'm both preaching to the choir and late to the party (I could have played the non-VR version ages ago, just never did), but...

Rez Infinite. Where have you been my life. Holy fuck. This shit is beyond fire.

Nice I literally just bought it this morning before heading to the office. Never played it before either but looking forward to checking it out for the first time in VR

Liljagare

Got mine today and so far I can't use it. I'm getting massive double vision. One screen appears much higher than the other. When setting up the VR, my right eye was constanly getting out of the circle. Left one was fine. Looked like my eyes were cooked. My gf tried it on and it was fine. What in the? I'm shortsighted on the right eye, farsighted on the left and wear prescription glasses. Can I adjust this? The wheel on the headset made no difference :(

You most likely can adjust it to work, think of a painting hanging crooked, adjust your helmet accordingly, if that makes sense. It's just not up down/left/right/back/away, but also adjusting arms on a clock. You might need the helmet not to be level.

edit: have had the same issue with VR sets, and same eye problem.

Last edited:

sachos

I'll figure something out.
I hear people put up posters or stuff on their walls and that helps with the tracking. Also there is a setting to use the TV as a marker for tracking, i think the PS5 outputs some images to make it easier to track maybe you can try that.

//DEVIL//

I was absolutely stunned and tried only 1 VR game. Yes sounds like an awesome reason to return it lol. What a bs lol. It's amazing how much you supposedly praise the hardware and software and then go on to return it lol. Didn't even bother to try the sense controllers. Headset is very comfy but you have to put it on right. The back part of the ring should be quite low on the head and if you tighten it just right it feels like maybe 5 grams only rest on your forehead. I don't have any marks after using it multiple times now, and also my wife, no marks or feeling of pressure at all.
Maybe you need to learn how to read before you accuse people of bs. I clearly said I have healthy amount of VR games on Steam. so I did not want to double dip.

I also explained that GT7 alone, is the best VR game I have ever played. yes, it beats beat saber to me and I love that game.

I returned it because :
1- I did not do many reviews about it in terms of future PC support. and it seems even the VR1 is barely working well with its controller right now on PC if you can call that ( 5 years since release ), so I kinda was hoping modders get something quick as proof of concept that there is hope. but that is no one fault but mine.
2- Most of my VR games are on PC as i mentioned. I can't justify double dipping for the same games to play them on PS5 ( one of them is beat saber lol )

All in all, this is an amazing headset. it is a must-buy if you want to go VR and you are not invested in PC VR like in my case. or if you are a console gamer only.

the pressure on my forehead happened because I played a long session and I as mentioned also above, I did it put extra pressure on it just to make sure it has zero movements ( because if it does, you lose that focus ), at least to my big head that was the case, who knows maybe I was doing it wrong.

one thing is for sure though, I will rebuy it again once it gets more exclusives. or maybe find it used or a bit cheaper. because the experience and joy I had with GT7, I will not get it in any other VR game and it sure as hell destroyed any hype for any racing game for me now. it's that damn good.

once it gets 3 or 4 more games I want, I am going to be back in no questions asked.

Hope that clears things up.

all in all, I am really proud of the technology sony did here. and more so of PD team to put the whole game like this in VR. no jitter and it was an amazing experience. sadly I just need more than 1 game to justify it.

I mean do not put salt into the wound, I am already itching to play GT7 VR again lol. I mean honestly, this is one of the main reasons why Sony is #1 in the industry. the level of polish in their games is unmatched.

Hawk269

In GT7 is there no other views? Is it always in cockpit mode? I know on PC VR Racing games you can toggle between a lot of different views. Also is there no adjusting the distance in the current cockpit view? I noticed with some cars you sit kind of far back and am hoping you can adjust this.

Top Bottom