• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Markio128

Gold Member
So I tried RE:Village in VR. I managed to get to that hut you find as soon you come out of the woods for the first time. It was pitch black and the torch provided very little comfort. I couldn’t turn the fucking game off fast enough 😂

It’s a shame because the visuals are tremendous at times - that intro part with Rose was eerily realistic.

I applaud anyone who has the balls to play this game in VR. Fair play.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Are there any other hidden gems besides Moss 1 and 2? Not talking about the big games like RE8, Horizon, GT7, Star Wars. Any of the smaller games that were built for VR like Moss 1 and 2? Those are blowing me the fuck away so far and I want anything that's close to that quality.
Has A Fisherman's Tale been released yet, I saw it in the line up but not sure it was day one. Anyway it does some cool stuff with VR and the sense of scale.

Crayon

So I tried RE:Village in VR. I managed to get to that hut you find as soon you come out of the woods for the first time. It was pitch black and the torch provided very little comfort. I couldn’t turn the fucking game off fast enough 😂

It’s a shame because the visuals are tremendous at times - that intro part with Rose was eerily realistic.

I've never found horror games very scary. Then I played re7 in vr.

Beechos

Omg just finally setting up my psvr 2 and it looks like its doa. The psvr 2 doesnt turn on. I did a quick google search which mentioned the usb cord on the headset near the screen couldve came loose but its secure. Anyone got any ideas? I did notice when i rebooted the ps5 with the psvr 2 attached it said too many usb devices but all i have is 1 usb external drive connected, which i even disconnected.

Also just tried plugging it into a power bank and my pc and no life either.

Last edited:

Crayon

Interesting read from a PCVR user/developer. His posts check out.

There is so much truth here it hurts.

Except this part:
The fud is bizarre, people trashing the visuals, price point, available games, etc.

No, it's not bizarre. It should be absolutely expected given the platform war dynamics around this. It's going to come from every angle. Even most of your sony ponies are butthurt about there being vr games in the little show today.

This is the best headset for the money or double the money unless I and informed reviewers missed something major. The launch lineup is as they said, "What we have here, and what we've got available day 1 for games is unprecedented".

Everyone enjoy their hardware and don't be gaslit by a loud minorty of warriors crying sour grapes.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Played more tonight. Gran Turismo continues to be chefs kiss. Just an all around fantastic game. What. A. Treat.

Cities VR. Seems pretty fun so far. It's nice to have a Sim city type game to play. Not much to say about the vr components. It's mostly just menu selection. It's simple. It works. It's nothing write home about but it IS fun. Very nice laid back game.

Call of the Mountain. Combat fucking sucks cock. Walking sucks cock. I do like using the bow. The game is also physically exhausting. Plus the dialogue is ass.

SilentUser

Just played Demeo again for about 2h straight with 3 friends. What a fantastic title, cant stop recomending it to everyone, specially if your friends have it, too.

Also, I'm getting really used to the IQ, can easily achieve the sweet spot and I actually like everything about it now. Guess I finally let go my absurd expectations for the IQ and I'm now sincerely adoring every second with the PSVR2.

Also played a little bit of The Light Brigade. Another title I recomend, it is interesting (praying is surprisingly immersive lol) and do check most of all the boxes when it comes to a VR FPS, imo.

Hoppa

Omg just finally setting up my psvr 2 and it looks like its doa. The psvr 2 doesnt turn on. I did a quick google search which mentioned the usb cord on the headset near the screen couldve came loose but its secure. Anyone got any ideas? I did notice when i rebooted the ps5 with the psvr 2 attached it said too many usb devices but all i have is 1 usb external drive connected, which i even disconnected.

Feel stupid for asking but have you tried pushing the power button?

Hell yeah. I made it past that bit and into the first 'town' section with the horde of lycan. I had a vision of myself fiddling around trying to reload my guns while under pursuit and politely exited the game

Last edited:

Romulus

So I played the RE8 mod for PCVR and that was amazing. We just wrapped up the PSVR2 version and god damn son, it looks incredible. The polish is just crazy. I would definitely give it the nod over the PCVR mod by a good margin. The difference between the PS4 Pro version of RE7 doesn't even hold a candle to this. Leaps and bounds better.

I wanted to play Gran Turismo again, and wow. That's all I can say. I've owned Iracing, Dirt Rally 2 on PC so this is just something special. The sense of speed is just mind-bending. First console/accessory that I can remember that was damn good at launch compared to the best PC options. Maybe the original Xbox was close.

The only negative is that sweet spot. It's not bad but it has to be just right. Taking a good 15 seconds to adjust isn't so bad when you can go for hours after that. With Quest 2 it just seems so easy by comparison. Headset comfort is probably a 9/10 and I'd give Quest 2 maybe an 8/10 with proper mods. Stock may be a 3/10. So yeah, PSVR2 is just all-around great. So of the Quest 2 ports I tried weren't really taking advantage of the hardware as I expected. For example, we tried Tales of the Galaxy and it looks good, but I think there's more room. Definitely a step up from Quest 2 but I expected a bit more.

Last edited:

Crayon

So I played the RE8 mod for PCVR and that was amazing. We just wrapped up the PSVR2 version and god damn son, it looks incredible. The polish is just crazy. I would definitely give it the nod over the PCVR mod by a good margin. The difference between the PS4 Pro version of RE7 doesn't even hold a candle to this. Leaps and bounds better.

I wanted to play Gran Turismo again, and wow. That's all I can say. I've owned Iracing, Dirt Rally 2 on PC so this is just something special. The sense of speed is just mind-bending. First console/accessory that I can remember that was damn good at launch compared to the best PC options. Maybe the original Xbox was close.

The only negative is that sweet spot. It's not bad but it has to be just right. Taking a good 15 seconds to adjust isn't so bad when you can go for hours after that. With Quest 2 it just seems so easy by comparison. Headset comfort is probably a 9/10 and I'd give Quest 2 maybe an 8/10 with proper mods. Stock may be a 3/10. So yeah, PSVR2 is just all-around great. So of the Quest 2 ports I tried weren't really taking advantage of the hardware as I expected. For example, we tried Tales of the Galaxy and it looks good, but I think there's more room. Definitely a step up from Quest 2 but I expected a bit more.

That star wars game actually looks great in terms of the graphics rendered on quest. I was surprised when I first saw captures.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

You played through ALL of RE8 already?

Damn son, those VR legs. What control style did you play as?

I am on Day 2 of VR and my legs are definitely getting better. HOWEVER, I am fumbling with the controls A LOT and it's really insane in the first part with all those lycan characters.

Honestly, biggest complaint is the small sweet spot - I can't manage to get it to stick. Constantly fiddling with the headset is annoying. And getting it JUST RIGHT seems to require a super tight fit. Comfort is not as good as I had hoped.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
DAY 2 FOLKS!

My VR Legs are getting a LOT better.

Out of all the launch games - Horizon is my favorite. Comfortable to play in, beautiful to look at, and great controls.

RE8 is tremendous as well but a little too advanced for me right now in terms of speed of mechanics and VR legs necessary, but I did push more today on that.

SRTtoZ

I don't want to be that guy but you pressed the power button on the PSVR2 headset right? lol

So how’s everyone finding this compared to a rift s with a mid pc? I bought it to play Alyx and spent quite some time in it - wonder if this is enough of and upgrade atm

reinking

Gold Member
Day 2 for me and the kayak game started making me motion sick. I should have played around in the PSVR1 to get my VR legs back before the launch of 2.

I chilled with Tetris for a bit. I really love Tetris in VR. so awesome.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I had it from PSVR1 so I was able to jump on the $10 upgrade. I definitely would have paused on the purchase at $40. I have a few games I am going to wait for a sale. It would have probably made that list.

yeah definitely wait for sale camp for me, would have done the upgrade tho

really should be $5 upgrade, $10 new purchase

FunkMiller

This was the first time I yanked a VR headset off.

RE7 remains my best experience in VR. Partly because it was one of the first ones I had, having bought it with the PSVR at launch, and partly because it was very well implemented. I remember just looking around the menu screen with awe :messenger_tears_of_joy: It was a great experience in VR from start to finish.

Crayon

It would be helpful to know if people are first time vr users or not. Some of the issues sound kind of normal to me. Like you do have to manage a headset a bit when you play a standing vr game. One day they will be small and light but we're not there yet and you'll have to grab a headset and realign it here and there. Even if it was a pair of glasses you are going to touch them here and there to straighten them out if you're moving around enough. Different heads notwithstanding, this one stays on pretty good. That doesn't mean it stays locked on for hours.

And chasing the dead-on sweet spot is a good way to end up fiddling with a headset way too much. On this headset there is a small spot where it looks fantastic, but a larger one where it still looks pretty fucking good. That's a weakness of this set, imo. The sweet spot (im already getting sick of that word) is very small and that's where it looks amazing. But if it's 90% on, it still looks great. Amazing is the enemy of great.

And maybe some first time vr people were expecting all the reports of excellent picture to mean it is sharper and clearer than a nice tv. A headset is not a tv. There are a million kind of artifacts and side effects that are in the process of being tackled in vr. You just have to forget about it and enjoy playing "the future". This set does a good job dealing with some of them but there's a long way to go. And yeah, for vr this is up there.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Lots of people complaining about mura and/or screen door effect is putting me off, ngl.

Can any experienced VR users comment on how the image is, say in comparison to a Quest 2 running a PCVR game like Alyx on a decent rig?

Last edited:

Hawk269

Lots of people complaining about mura and/or screen door effect is putting me off, ngl.

Can any experienced VR users comment on how the image is, say in comparison to a Quest 2 running a PCVR game like Alyx on a decent rig?
I have a Quest 2 and a 4090 gaming rig and honestly, I think the PSVR2 looks better by a good margin. I played Alyx and it is pretty incredible, but visually I think Horizon is just as good and in some aspects better. Overall, Alyx is the better game. But from a lenses point of view I have been more impressed with the PSVR2 than my Quest 2 hooked up to my gaming rig.

R6Rider

Gold Member

I haven't used any VR on PC, but I just booted up the PSVR2 to do a bit of testing.

So far I've played GT7, Kayak VR, and Pavlov (decided to buy tonight):
I have not noticed it in GT7 or Pavlov. Granted I haven't played those in dark settings in game.
In Kayak during the day I didn't noticed it, but it's noticeable at night. It's one of those things where it's definitely there if you are looking for it, but I can easily see past it and it doesn't bother me.

Also when on the PS5 dash I don't see it at all either, just perfect black levels.

For me it's a really minor thing and the PSVR2 overall is way too good otherwise for me to even think about returning it. When engaged with game it's not even a blip on my radar.

Last edited:

Hoppa

I’m getting more used to it now so could play a bit more Horizon. Game is polished, a lot of cool interactivity with the environment like when you get key items you can toss them into the air and they float before disappearing. The two big Dino combat encounters I had were good, got a hang of the mechanics quite easily but the tracking went a bit haywire a few times when drawing and aiming arrows. Non-teleport movement feels like I’m riding a ‘hoverboard’

hungry stephen colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

My sister and brother in law visited last night and they loved Synth Riders but the music selection is quite limited. I know Beat Saber has a bit more variety but I was surprised it hasn’t actually come out yet

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member
Cactus Cowboy Plants at War is out now for free on the ps store. Didn't realize it was gonna be a free game.

From the Developer on reddit:
"Hello, I'm the developer of the Cactus Cowboy game series. Let me shine some light on this:

Yes, it targeted to be free on PSVR2 too. I'd feel like total \*\*\*\* charging for the same game others get for free!

It is somewhat monetized (by my 9to5 job) and was made before I actually founded the Cactus VR Studios. To be honest, I never thought that this hobby project could turn into something someone else would enjoy. In fact, I didn't make the Cactus games to make money. It was more than making game I'd like to play myself. All this got me a little bit by surprise and the successor is already in the works (Check my [Youtube]() for gameplay and teasers).

That said, with the successor of Plants At War I'll try to make a humble living of making AR/VR games and applications - means, the next one won't be free, but will have a very humble price tag.

Anyway, I'm stuffing every free minute I got into the PSVR2 release right now, hoping you all got a nice game free to play and get to know my little plant based franchise. Be aware, I do not sacrifice gameplay for VR comfort. So there won't be any teleport or anything. Unrestricted movement and even jumping is enabled.

Honest playtime: 4.5h when I play it knowing every corner of the game without dying."

Pretty cool

Rudius

My BIGGEST issue with the first PSVR headset was a grainy layer / screen door looking affect atop games.

Sadly, it seems as though PSVR2 has the same thing.

Like, GT7 has this weird layer of grain atop an otherwise crisp game. Is it my eyeballs , or does VR tech still suck this bad?
Maybe PSVR3 can get rid of that with 8K (4000x4000). But it is much better than the first one and the best games are running at native resolution, not a given in PSVR1.

Ozzie666

I want another experience like Blood and Truth. I'm so close to paying full price for one of these things. Rekindle some friendships with Tetris, Rez, Beat Sabrea and the Walking Dead title looks alright. I really want this to succeed and be a viable solution for developers. Half Life Alyx, if true, probably seals the deal sooner than later.

House of the Dead, Time Crisis, Virtua Cop and so many other rail shooters would also be so welcomed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom