• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

I started alyx on my quest 2 yesterday and while it looks really good, something like horizon looks better. IQ is better on the PSVR2 imo.

But still love my quest and it didnt feel like a big downgrade going back to it.

Im keeping both headsets for the sony exclusives and to play mp crossplat games with the wife.
I wouldn’t be surprised if those Sony exclusives didn’t also arrive on PC.

MastAndo

Sounds like you might have it too high, actually. For instance, I can put it on high and still get the thing dialed in but it doesn't sit that well. And that high would be further up onto my hair. The best fit is significantly lower and is definitely more on my skin than hair.
Really? I have it on pretty much like this guy;

The top of the forehead pad is definitely resting on a good amount of hair.

DISCLAIMER: Don't use spray or liquids on your lenses, kids. A dry microfiber cloth should do the trick.

Last edited:

Crayon

I.... i just realized I can't tell what it looks like when it's on me. :messenger_tears_of_joy: idk why that's so funny to me lol.

Uh let me see if I can get a better idea real quick brb.

Ah, pass through cam of course. I was able to look in a mirror. Still hard to tell but I think it looks a touch lower on me than him. That could be just down to our head shapes though, which I can see might be quite different.

Crayon

Okay I just bought pavlov. I'm not into military shooters, much less online ones. But, I have enjoyed them in the past at times. They can be fun.

I'll tell you what I don't think I'm in the mood for this game right now LOL. I was up too late last night. I'll go get some food and come back.

This is the game I really want to try though. This is the dark horse. I know it's been really popular in VR for a while. I set up some pulleys in anticipation for this type of thing. They work well, but I have no problem managing a cable in something like horizon or nms. I'm going to hang up the wire for this, though. Looks like it could get kind of hectic

Crayon

Still shopping. I don't know why I'm doing this got plenty to play already.

I'm looking at runner. I always loved space pirate trainer and somehow I went back to it for years. This looks like it might be my new space pirate trainer.

Interested in that res upgrade. Interested in moss. I was really interested in song in the smoke but I heard it's hard and I'm not feeling that right now. I'll try the demo.

And I guess I can't ignore demio. It's getting raves everywhere I look.

Gamerguy84

So just a suggestion to folks. Now that you've set it up and had it on.

1. Make sure your lenses are clean, all the way to the edges. Circle around with microfiber cloth then use a different spot of the cloth and do it again. Clean the whole lens.

2. Put it on and go into a game. Hold down the PS button and go into VR quick settings. Go through your adjusting settings again. Do the eyes in the middle screen. I was wearing mine a bit to hi. So readjust your settings.

3. Use your dial on the top left of the headset to adjust in game. I just sat still on a track in GT and looked st some amazing textures on a racing barrier wall.

Those will get you dialed in to the max. If someine else uses it readjust again.

Also the game matters. It's up to the developer to render their game correctly. The clearest ones I've seen has been GT, RE, job simulator, and Kayak. It's not going to look like a 32 inch 4k screen though. NMS looks nowhere near what the garage in GT does. Wait until you see what beat Saber looks like when it gets ported.

Don't burn yourself out. This just came out and doesn't need to replace good Ole flat screen gaming so go play whatever you were working on when your PSVR arrived. It's just another option for playing games.

The hardware is excellent. I'm not having issues.

Can't wait for some FW updates and gain some more functionality though.

Last edited:

SilentUser

It's important to remember that TV clarity is always gonna look way better than VR clarity. Just a natural consequence of having a light screen in front of your eyes.

I find the graininess noticible when I put on the headset. But after a minute of playing. My brain completely forgets about it.

In a weird way, the more PSVR2 I play, the better it looks.
I'm absolutely on the same boat and I'm loving it now. I think it is a combination of reality check, getting used to it (including being better at setting it up) and actually being more and more immersed.

Mindman

I love this thing so much, but I have two burning questions:

1. Is there any way to increase the size of the temporary play area? I play sitting down, and the play area boundary sensitivity notifications are set to Low. I am still seeing the red warnings when reaching sometimes in Horizon.

2. If I need to take a break, what's the best way to put the headset back on and reorient yourself with the controllers in hand afterwards? Using the passthrough cam works, but the stupid "Put the controller in your hand" message blocks some of the view lol

Markio128

Gold Member
I can’t stop playing GT7, it’s flippin’ awesome. I don’t think I’ve used 1 charge of my VR controllers yet 😂
I think I’ll buy Pistol Whip next because I fancy a decent shooter and the impressions from others seem to be pretty positive. I’m guessing it’s a game you need to play standing up?

Last edited:

MastAndo

1. Is there any way to increase the size of the temporary play area? I play sitting down, and the play area boundary sensitivity notifications are set to Low. I am still seeing the red warnings when reaching sometimes in Horizon.
No, unfortunately. Your best bet is to tell the game you're standing, then sit in your playing area. Should be OK for Horizon, though some games will recognize you as crouching.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
No, unfortunately. Your best bet is to tell the game you're standing, then sit in your playing area. Should be OK for Horizon, though some games will recognize you as crouching.
They need to do it like the quest where you don't get any warnings for your hands and it just switches to pass thru when the headset leaves the boundary.

AddiF

Holy shit. Like it took a beating or something!? But I presume the box was not crunched or you would have mentioned it. What the fuck is going on with that?

No the box was in mint condition actually. My guess it's a factory issue as another guy was replacing his, with the same issues as mine. Or.. they were in the same shipping box (2 in each) and that box had some adventures on its trip. The PS VR2 box had no dings on it yet the headset was in a rough condition

Last edited:

Crayon

No the box was in mint condition actually. My guess it's a factory issue as another guy was replacing his, with the same issues as mine. Or.. they were in the same shipping box (2 in each) and that box had some adventures on its trip. The PS VR2 box had no dings on it yet the headset was in a rough condition

I find myself often wishing for a reaction emoji for like... "puzzling", or "I have this same question". I would have used that here. The fact that another person at the same store got one that's seemingly beat to shit.

MastAndo

Ohh, gotta snag that BAC Mono '16 for GT7. Been looking for convertible/open top cars since I only have a Z8 and the Kart right now - both so much fun in VR.

Crayon

Fuuuuck my standing play space is so small. Jealous of people who have more room. With 1 pulley above (not a triangle of them like people do to extend the play space), I can't even go far enough to feel it tug in any direction. It would be so cooler to have even like 2 more feet in each direction.

In fact, I need to find some sort of mark to pivot on before I go play something like pavlov.

TrebleShot

Fuuuuck my standing play space is so small. Jealous of people who have more room. With 1 pulley above (not a triangle of them like people do to extend the play space), I can't even go far enough to feel it tug in any direction. It would be so cooler to have even like 2 more feet in each direction.

In fact, I need to find some sort of mark to pivot on before I go play something like pavlov.
You don’t need a pully system or anything like that to play Pavlov , it’s designed to be played standing still and moving with the sticks and aiming with headset etc.

I got my PSVR2 this afternoon with Horizon: Call of the Mountain, delivered safely by DPD in a well-packaged box. I already had Gran Turismo 7, updated to v1.29 with VR support, as well as Resident Evil Village. I also purchased the Rez Infinite PS5/VR upgrade, the Thumper PS5/VR upgrade and Moss Book I & II and Kayak VR: Mirage. I also downloaded the following demos: The Song in the Smoke Rekindled, Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge (I'll pre-order this if it is any good), Cosmonious High and Humanity! I had to delete the 98 GB Far Cry 6 (which I now own on PC) to make space for these but all those games installed took less than 90 GB. Plenty for me to try out over the weekend!

Initial impressions, as someone completely new to VR, were that the headset was surprisingly heavy but, thankfully, it was very easy to set up and took around 10 minutes in total to go through all the tutorials which start on the TV then, obviously, switch to the headset. The headset was initially uncomfortable and took me a while to get used to how it felt, especially over my nose where it felt too weighty. After a bit of adjustment, using the slider on the headset and adjustment to the strap that holds it on your head, it started to feel a bit better and I sat down to play my first VR game: Gran Turismo 7.

The first image I saw on the headset was the PS5 dashboard and I'll be honest here, I was very underwhelmed by the image quality. It looked blurry, suffered from noticeable blue/red fringing around white lines and text plus the text itself looked grainy and seemed to shimmer. The 2D image was also small, like viewing a 55" TV from 30 feet away!!! There is a setting in the PS5 VR menu though for the 2D Cinema mode that allows you to increase the size of this screen and I settled on a near cinematic viewpoint with the 2D image basically taking up the whole of the viewing area. Literally it felt like being in the front row at an actual cinema (watching it through a pair of googles!). It felt much more immersive without the huge black borders which made the menu screen look like it was floating in nothingness. Zooming in also reduced the shimmery grainy look of the text somewhat although it makes aliasing a bit more noticeable.

I haven't quite decided if that is ideal yet. I might zoom it out a little to see if I can find a sweet spot between the aliasing and shimmering. I still find the image a tad soft and, to my eyes (I was wearing my glasses by the way), the image does not look like OLED at all. In fact, I thought it looked like an old-school CRT display. I have to confess that I am a little disappointed it isn't sharper. Maybe that is just how VR is? I don't know as this is my first experience so I have nothing to compare it with except how games look in 2D on my 55" LG B9 OLED TV. Colours also looked a little drab and don't pop in quite the same way on the headset too. There doesn't appear to be any options in the PS5 settings to tweak the sharpness or the colours on the headset, although you can fiddle around with moving the front part in and out. The problem is that it is easy for the headset to slip a little and then the image goes blurry. It feels like I have to stay mostly still to get the best image and just move my head only rather than my body.

Anyway enough of that... Gran Turismo 7... what was it like in VR then? In a word: incredible! It boots up as normal to a flat 2D screen and it is only when you start a race that you are actually in VR. This might be stating the obvious, I apologise as a newcomer, but the first time I realised I was in a cockpit where I could turn my head around and even look behind me, well, it pretty much blew me away. Needless to say I spent about 2 hours just playing that game as it just so engrossing and immersive. There is an obvious visual downgrade; shadows are lower resolution and draw in much closer plus there is more noticeable pop in of surrounding scenery with shadows visibly drawing in on trees. Don't get me wrong, it isn't that bad and graphics still look superb but with VR it is much easier to notice these even when racing. It still looks mind-blowingly good though. I even tried the VR Replay mode which made me feel like a spectator, granted one that randomly jumps to a new spot every few seconds. At one point, the game camera changed so I was on the track, I was watching then I turned around to see a car coming toward me and nearly had a heart attack! It was easy to forget that I wasn't actually there.

Didn't get the chance to play any other games because, surprisingly, both Sense controllers were reported as low on battery so needed to be fully recharged. The PSVR2 also only comes with one USB-C cable to recharge the Sense controller but I have dozens of these cables so I just recharged one from my phone charger lead and the other from a USB-C cable I have plugged into the PS5's front USB 3.0 port (the headset uses the PS5's front USB-C port and is connected via a 4.5 m cable). The headset's cable is fixed and, annoying, is on the left-hand side whereas my PS5 is on the right-hand side of the room. That means that the cable placement feels awkward and I wish it had been on the right or, better still being a detachable cable that could be connected to either the right or left depending on your preference. I will be using this mostly sat down anyway so it isn't a deal breaker as such.

Because I could only use the DualSense controller while the Sense controllers charged up. I decided to try Rez Infinite. This is a stylised game that uses simple 3D line rendering and shading but it is really excellent to play in VR, especially with the eye-tracking. Yes, you can play this game and aim at the objects with your eyes! This was part of the initial set-up and when I got to this part I was sceptical about how well it would work for me, as I only have one good eye with my other one being 'lazy'. However, it worked perfectly, much to my delight and I was able to test it properly in this game. I ended up playing the game for about an hour before I started to get a bit of headache, I think from the weight of the headset which I was not used to wearing.

Going to have a proper session on it tomorrow, it being the weekend, and try on the Sense controllers in the games I've downloaded. I also need to see if I can fix the blurry image. Not sure if this is the headset or me. Sometimes the games can look sharp if I focus on a certain spot but overall the image just looks soft. Is this how VR works? I was expecting more because the Digital Foundry review described the image as being clear and sharp. Based on what I saw, I'd rate the image quality as 6, 7 at best. The VR experience itself though, based on just two games, was excellent and I haven't even tried the Sense controllers yet or the new Horizon game!

DISCLAIMER: Don't use spray or liquids on your lenses, kids. A dry microfiber cloth should do the trick.

Ah, right, I think that might be why the screen looks blurry for me as I was wearing the back part of the headset further up the back of my head. I'll try moving it lower down and calibrate it from there to see if I can get a clearer image. This is my first VR experience so I have absolutely nothing else to go on.

Crayon

You don’t need a pully system or anything like that to play Pavlov , it’s designed to be played standing still and moving with the sticks and aiming with headset etc.

Ah thanks. I will see firsthand I guess.

You know, I would hesitate calling the pullys a "system". It's just a larger version of those reels you use for a security badge. I just hung up one over the ps5 and one over me. (I'm close to it)

Aside: I love how these controller slip over your wrists to get out of the way!!

Crayon

Ah, right, I think that might be why the screen looks blurry for me as I was wearing the back part of the headset further up the back of my head. I'll try moving it lower down and calibrate it from there to see if I can get a clearer image. This is my first VR experience so I have absolutely nothing else to go on.

It's less of a halo and more like a hardhat, really.

901-600999-5.jpg

Except the hard hat has the strap over the top. Hmm I wonder what would happen if I added one. I keep an abundance of materials, fasteners, and adhesives around. Sort of a thing of mine... Wife thinks it's funny.

Rudius

This is so incredibly annoying, especially since my TV the console is hooked up to is in a different room than my VR play space. I thought I might be doing something wrong but no. Makes no sense and I really hope they address this.
I'm hoping for a patch, or just an option to turn that off in the menu.

XXL

I love this thing so much, but I have two burning questions:

2. If I need to take a break, what's the best way to put the headset back on and reorient yourself with the controllers in hand afterwards? Using the passthrough cam works, but the stupid "Put the controller in your hand" message blocks some of the view lol
Set it as standing, draw the boundaries as a bigger space than you have and then sit down and refocus the headset. It worked in Horizon for me.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I got the thing today. Got some feelings about it.
positives:
-setup
-tracking
-no software issues
-Horizon, re8 and start wars are all fantastic (only tried these so far)
-No screen door, perfect black levels. Flashlight is super fun to use in re8
-Eye tracking s magic. Works great.... kinda makes me want to get one for pc huh.
-Pulse 3d works and fits right.

Negatives:
-Sadly the focal point is few meters away, so I must wear my glasses or it's a bit blurry. I am shortsighted -1.5
-Bad sweet spot. You need to really fiddle with it on your head
-Quite some of chomatic abberration and mura in the grays. Mura don't bother me too much.
-Bad comfort and fit... as in, the damn thing keeps slipping off the back of my head and I loose sweet spot. I had to wear a baseball cap backwards lol...
-The thing is hard to adjust to have it stay in the sweet spot and then make fine adjustments.
-Controllers use microswitch buttons. not nice, soft rubber domes like on dualsense but the clicky type. But not as clicky as xbox series dpad. so kinda fine.

Once it all works, the detail in re8 rivals alyx easily. Of course it's janky and interactivity sucks but man, are these homes detailed.

If it had a nice cv1 skiing googles headband, it would be a real, proper cv2.
So the biggest drawback is The shitty halo strap

edit: Since baseball cap is helping... I think I have a use for that saints row pre order edition bandana now lol

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I feel this, I'm so ready to just stand up my sofa against the wall everytime I play VR lol

ABnormal

This is so incredibly annoying, especially since my TV the console is hooked up to is in a different room than my VR play space. I thought I might be doing something wrong but no. Makes no sense and I really hope they address this.
Maybe you set the option "improve tracking" or as it is called. Since it requires the tv, maybe it asks for it.

Rac3r

GT7 is absolutely mind blowing. Motion sickness was real for me though. Could only play 10-15 mins before I felt it coming on, and I stopped immediately.

This is a good read for anyone who is prone to motion sickness.

Liljagare

Can't believe the number of people writing about blurrynes and in the next sentence "i might need glasses".

If you "might" need glasses, it will affect your experience with all VR, as the focal point is simulated to mimic real life and you will have issues.

The focal point on headsets differ, from 6 to 12 feet, and if you can't read the bottom line at a optician, get lenses or glasses before using VR.

Guess people just don't get how it works.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Can't believe the number of people writing about blurrynes and in the next sentence "i might need glasses".

If you "might" need glasses, it will affect your experience with all VR, as the focal point is simulated to mimic real life and you will have issues.

The focal point on headsets differ, from 6 to 12 feet, and if you can't read the bottom line at a optician, get lenses or glasses before using VR.

Guess people just don't get how it works.
I have 20/20 vision but my left lens is definitely blurry sometimes

Ugh was finally getting ready to play and my controllers didn’t charge :( the station needs a clicking method to lock them In

Synless

I have 20/20 vision but my left lens is definitely blurry sometimes

Ugh was finally getting ready to play and my controllers didn’t charge :( the station needs a clicking method to lock them In
I am pretty confident it is magnetic. You just need to make sure you feel it click, the lights on the controller will glow.

Amiga

PSVR2 vs PSVR1:

- Plug and play was easy and simple in both hardware and software. GT7 automatically recognized VR. The quick access to VR adjustment settings helped a lot as several people tried it on. the cumbersome experience of the original PSVR1 was my biggest issue and it is solved.
- lightweight, comfortable on the face. The adjustable lenses were the best thing I didn't know I was missing.
- the expanded field of view increased immersion a lot.
- Didn't notice any shimmering or jaggies in GT7. these are my worst enemies in gaming and they are even worse in VR.

Crayon

Just checked nms...

cmon-dude-cmon-man.gif

The resolution is waaaaayyyy lower than it should be. I thought hopefully it would be a little on the soft side. but really it's a mess. I liked it on psvr tho and this is definitely looks way better but shiiit idk if that resolution is that much higher. Been awhile.

Last edited:

Liljagare

20/20 vision but my left lens is definitely blurry sometimes

How have other VR headsets worked for you?

20/20 doesnt mean perfect vision, you can still have minor astigmatism, a lazy eye, or a number of different issues. It can also be normal, and you dont notice it without a VR headset as one eye is dominant and the other is weaker, which is normal.

To be fair, VR headsets should also come with a little booklet explaining how vision works.

AGRacing

Well, finished COTM, man what a ride!!

The game looks gorgeous, and is a decent workout standing up. Well done. Love the headset and the games, can't see how people think COTM looks blurry though, for me it's crisp and vibrant.
For me it looks sharp on up close objects and kind of "foggy" with distance objects. Before you suggest I need glasses... My prescription is up to date and I can see distance objects pin sharp in real life.

Pavlov looks sharp the entire time for distance and up close. So I don't know what's going on.

Liljagare

For me it looks sharp on up close objects and kind of "foggy" with distance objects. Before you suggest I need glasses... My prescription is up to date and I can see distance objects pin sharp in real life.

Pavlov looks sharp the entire time for distance and up close. So I don't know what's going on.

If you are playing VR games, tired, or up and awake, results might differ.

Pavlov looks great for me too btw. :)

According to the American Academy of Ophthalmology, wearing VR headsets can cause eye strain, discomfort, eye fatigue, and blurred vision.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

That might just be the resolution - you kinda forget that stuff in the far distance is occupying a very tiny part of the screen.

Djin1980

Neo Member
Just got my PSVR2 and the halo strap is killing my forehead, I tried few different positions and not matter what, it hurts after 15/20 minutes. I can't believe it since I had a PVR1, a Rift S and the HP WMR and all of them were super comfy with the halo but somehow, Sony fucked this up with a super light cheap padding. Anyone found a solution for this ?

Top Bottom