• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Crayon

Just got my PSVR2 and the halo strap is killing my forehead, I tried few different positions and not matter what, it hurts after 15/20 minutes. I can't believe it since I had a PVR1, a Rift S and the HP WMR and all of them were super comfy with the halo but somehow, Sony fucked this up with a super light cheap padding. Anyone found a solution for this ?

Is it the pad pressing into your forehead evenly or one of the top or bottom edges doing it?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just got my PSVR2 and the halo strap is killing my forehead, I tried few different positions and not matter what, it hurts after 15/20 minutes. I can't believe it since I had a PVR1, a Rift S and the HP WMR and all of them were super comfy with the halo but somehow, Sony fucked this up with a super light cheap padding. Anyone found a solution for this ?
Whats Sonys return policy? I had a similar issue with comfort and motion sickness with PSVR1 and returned it after a week to bestbuy.

Djin1980

Neo Member
Is it the pad pressing into your forehead evenly or one of the top or bottom edges doing it?

The Pad presses on the entire width of the forehead evenly, when I remove it I have the impression (just an impression, it's not even red) of being swollen in the region the frontal sinuses. Well I caught COVID monday, feeling a bit better now, so I think it could come from there, I'm giving myself a little time before sending it back to Sony.

edit :
Whats Sonys return policy? I had a similar issue with comfort and motion sickness with PSVR1 and returned it after a week to bestbuy.
Here, PS Direct offers a 30 days return policy, so plenty of time to make an opinion about it.

Last edited:

Crayon

The Pad presses on the entire width of the forehead evenly, when I remove it I have the impression (just an impression, it's not even red) of being swollen in the region the frontal sinuses. Well I caught COVID monday, feeling a bit better now, so I think it could come from there, I'm giving myself a little time before sending it back to Sony.

Oooh. Does it feel especially tight?

Romulus

I guess its just different head shapes because I found it to be the most comfortable I've used.

Djin1980

Neo Member
I guess its just different head shapes because I found it to be the most comfortable I've used.
I guess you are right, my head is not PSVR2 compatible :/
I wish I could swap the halo between VR1 & VR 2, or at least the padding.

Oooh. Does it feel especially tight?
Not really, even when I'm just wearing loosely.
Maybe my sinuses are more fucked up than I think by the COVID, will try once I fully recover.

Gamerguy84

Try Cinematic mode. Feels like your at the movies. We need YouTube VR and I believe we'll get it someday.

What other apps would we like to see? All the apps from PS5 work like Apple TV and Netflix but we need some native VR apps.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

My solution is that the top front part should not have much pressure, tilt the back way down and tighten that area up a ton

It’ll feel like the top part is floating rather than being supporting

This is a tradeoff though, because the back of your head will feel more pressure

Mindman

I got my PSVR2 this afternoon with Horizon: Call of the Mountain, delivered safely by DPD in a well-packaged box. I already had Gran Turismo 7, updated to v1.29 with VR support, as well as Resident Evil Village. I also purchased the Rez Infinite PS5/VR upgrade, the Thumper PS5/VR upgrade and Moss Book I & II and Kayak VR: Mirage. I also downloaded the following demos: The Song in the Smoke Rekindled, Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge (I'll pre-order this if it is any good), Cosmonious High and Humanity! I had to delete the 98 GB Far Cry 6 (which I now own on PC) to make space for these but all those games installed took less than 90 GB. Plenty for me to try out over the weekend!

Initial impressions, as someone completely new to VR, were that the headset was surprisingly heavy but, thankfully, it was very easy to set up and took around 10 minutes in total to go through all the tutorials which start on the TV then, obviously, switch to the headset. The headset was initially uncomfortable and took me a while to get used to how it felt, especially over my nose where it felt too weighty. After a bit of adjustment, using the slider on the headset and adjustment to the strap that holds it on your head, it started to feel a bit better and I sat down to play my first VR game: Gran Turismo 7.

The first image I saw on the headset was the PS5 dashboard and I'll be honest here, I was very underwhelmed by the image quality. It looked blurry, suffered from noticeable blue/red fringing around white lines and text plus the text itself looked grainy and seemed to shimmer. The 2D image was also small, like viewing a 55" TV from 30 feet away!!! There is a setting in the PS5 VR menu though for the 2D Cinema mode that allows you to increase the size of this screen and I settled on a near cinematic viewpoint with the 2D image basically taking up the whole of the viewing area. Literally it felt like being in the front row at an actual cinema (watching it through a pair of googles!). It felt much more immersive without the huge black borders which made the menu screen look like it was floating in nothingness. Zooming in also reduced the shimmery grainy look of the text somewhat although it makes aliasing a bit more noticeable.

I haven't quite decided if that is ideal yet. I might zoom it out a little to see if I can find a sweet spot between the aliasing and shimmering. I still find the image a tad soft and, to my eyes (I was wearing my glasses by the way), the image does not look like OLED at all. In fact, I thought it looked like an old-school CRT display. I have to confess that I am a little disappointed it isn't sharper. Maybe that is just how VR is? I don't know as this is my first experience so I have nothing to compare it with except how games look in 2D on my 55" LG B9 OLED TV. Colours also looked a little drab and don't pop in quite the same way on the headset too. There doesn't appear to be any options in the PS5 settings to tweak the sharpness or the colours on the headset, although you can fiddle around with moving the front part in and out. The problem is that it is easy for the headset to slip a little and then the image goes blurry. It feels like I have to stay mostly still to get the best image and just move my head only rather than my body.

Anyway enough of that... Gran Turismo 7... what was it like in VR then? In a word: incredible! It boots up as normal to a flat 2D screen and it is only when you start a race that you are actually in VR. This might be stating the obvious, I apologise as a newcomer, but the first time I realised I was in a cockpit where I could turn my head around and even look behind me, well, it pretty much blew me away. Needless to say I spent about 2 hours just playing that game as it just so engrossing and immersive. There is an obvious visual downgrade; shadows are lower resolution and draw in much closer plus there is more noticeable pop in of surrounding scenery with shadows visibly drawing in on trees. Don't get me wrong, it isn't that bad and graphics still look superb but with VR it is much easier to notice these even when racing. It still looks mind-blowingly good though. I even tried the VR Replay mode which made me feel like a spectator, granted one that randomly jumps to a new spot every few seconds. At one point, the game camera changed so I was on the track, I was watching then I turned around to see a car coming toward me and nearly had a heart attack! It was easy to forget that I wasn't actually there.

Didn't get the chance to play any other games because, surprisingly, both Sense controllers were reported as low on battery so needed to be fully recharged. The PSVR2 also only comes with one USB-C cable to recharge the Sense controller but I have dozens of these cables so I just recharged one from my phone charger lead and the other from a USB-C cable I have plugged into the PS5's front USB 3.0 port (the headset uses the PS5's front USB-C port and is connected via a 4.5 m cable). The headset's cable is fixed and, annoying, is on the left-hand side whereas my PS5 is on the right-hand side of the room. That means that the cable placement feels awkward and I wish it had been on the right or, better still being a detachable cable that could be connected to either the right or left depending on your preference. I will be using this mostly sat down anyway so it isn't a deal breaker as such.

Because I could only use the DualSense controller while the Sense controllers charged up. I decided to try Rez Infinite. This is a stylised game that uses simple 3D line rendering and shading but it is really excellent to play in VR, especially with the eye-tracking. Yes, you can play this game and aim at the objects with your eyes! This was part of the initial set-up and when I got to this part I was sceptical about how well it would work for me, as I only have one good eye with my other one being 'lazy'. However, it worked perfectly, much to my delight and I was able to test it properly in this game. I ended up playing the game for about an hour before I started to get a bit of headache, I think from the weight of the headset which I was not used to wearing.

Going to have a proper session on it tomorrow, it being the weekend, and try on the Sense controllers in the games I've downloaded. I also need to see if I can fix the blurry image. Not sure if this is the headset or me. Sometimes the games can look sharp if I focus on a certain spot but overall the image just looks soft. Is this how VR works? I was expecting more because the Digital Foundry review described the image as being clear and sharp. Based on what I saw, I'd rate the image quality as 6, 7 at best. The VR experience itself though, based on just two games, was excellent and I haven't even tried the Sense controllers yet or the new Horizon game!
Use the button on the top right to adjust the lense distance and move them closer to your eyes. They became less blurry after that for me.

SRTtoZ

Man, I want an RPG in VR. Like seriously, I want SE to make a a whole VR final fantasy. Turn based and everything (except no random encounters, you should see the monsters on the map), full exploration. I want to truly disappear into a huge fantasy world where I get different ships and air ships, fight mythical monsters, and breed chocobos (with each other, not me breeding the chocobos, im good on that). Give me deep caves with goblins and LLamia's, and dwarven cities. Towers with evil wizards. And customization of character abilities, but tell a regular FF story with a fleshed out main character. .

I can deal with the regular rpg bullshit, like npc's repeating themselves and stealing everything from everyone without them thinking twice about it.

I want a true adventure. I know what im asking is probably ridiculous, but I still want it.
I would take a game like Moss, that setting, where you're playing a RPG in front of you while you can interact with certain objects and control the character. Something like Links Awakening on Switch except it's a Sony or third party IP and it's in 4k/60.

Crayon

Jesus christ that zombie mod in pavlov seems really hard. Trying to build up the muscle memory to manage just handling the weapons!!! That's actually pretty fun though.

If you want to try a more hardcore game.... this might be it.

SRTtoZ

Does anyone know the PSVR2 Warranty in the US? I'm having a slight issue with L1 where it sometimes double presses but it's not a big deal. It still works just fine but it's clearly something I'm gonna wanna swap out at some point. Hoping they can just send me a left Sense controller instead of me having to send everything back.

SRTtoZ

PSVR2 is asking to turn on TV every time.

I did the setup, played many games yesterday and today, but when I turn the PS5 and PSVR2 it asks me to take it off and turn on the TV screen. After I do that it lets me proceed and I can turn off the TV.

Here is a picture of the issue.

xFxkDZg.jpg

I wonder if it has anything to do with HDMI-CEC which lets your devices communicate with your TV and lets them power them on/off etc. Turn that shit off in your PS5 menu and/or TV menu and see if that helps.

Crayon

Is this legit? I don't wanna break them but I wanna remove these fucking things.

edit: 5 seconds later, you are correct! They come right off. Nice.

Oh I took them right off as soon as they got out of the box.

I've done a few things for the fast action in pavlov. I threw a towel in the middle of my playspace so I could check it easier. And I took off the light shroud. This is what I like about halo bands. For really active games where you need air and also balance and stomach-friendliness, this can't be beat. This thing is obviously not intended for it because the edges of surround that it clips to are sharp!! Anyway those wont touch your face unless you fumble putting it on and they extend back on the sides like little blinders that blocks just the right amount of light. This is good. I'm moveing enough to sweat in this game geez! I'm not using the stick to turn at all. Natural turning is what I wanted most out of this upgrade instead of the vr1 leaving you stuck in one semicircle.

Does anyone know the PSVR2 Warranty in the US? I'm having a slight issue with L1 where it sometimes double presses but it's not a big deal. It still works just fine but it's clearly something I'm gonna wanna swap out at some point. Hoping they can just send me a left Sense controller instead of me having to send everything back.

Give them a call now. Sometimes these companies are more responsive to early adopters of new stuff.

SRTtoZ

What's your routine for starting out a VR session with it? Do you need to redo any tests or calibration? The eye tracking? I've still only had one, but it will be nice having the process down to under 30 seconds instead of the longer learning curve on day 1.
Nope. Once I set the eye tracking and all that I'm good. I just extend the entire frame so it fits over my glasses, tighten the knob a little bit so it holds, then I look at the text in VR and move my headset slightly up or down until its crystal clear and then tighten it up all the way. Then I bring the lenses closer to my eyes until all the light is blocked out and I'm good to go. I'm sure it's a good idea to re-calibrate your eyes and all that once in a while, but definitely not every time you put the headset on.

SRTtoZ

Oh I took them right off as soon as they got out of the box.

I've done a few things for the fast action in pavlov. I threw a towel in the middle of my playspace so I could check it easier. And I took off the light shroud. This is what I like about halo bands. For really active games where you need air and also balance and stomach-friendliness, this can't be beat. This thing is obviously not intended for it because the edges of surround that it clips to are sharp!! Anyway those wont touch your face unless you fumble putting it on and they extend back on the sides like little blinders that blocks just the right amount of light. This is good. I'm moveing enough to sweat in this game geez! I'm not using the stick to turn at all. Natural turning is what I wanted most out of this upgrade instead of the vr1 leaving you stuck in one semicircle.

Give them a call now. Sometimes these companies are more responsive to early adopters of new stuff.
Yea phone support closed an hour ago, so I'll try tomorrow. I want to see if they will send me the left controller first, so I don't have to be without VR for a week. Even if they have to put a hold on my credit card.

SRTtoZ

Still shopping. I don't know why I'm doing this got plenty to play already.

I'm looking at runner. I always loved space pirate trainer and somehow I went back to it for years. This looks like it might be my new space pirate trainer.

Interested in that res upgrade. Interested in moss. I was really interested in song in the smoke but I heard it's hard and I'm not feeling that right now. I'll try the demo.

And I guess I can't ignore demio. It's getting raves everywhere I look.

lmao I did the same thing yesterday. I tried the demo for the puzzle game, which was neat but not my style. Maybe my sister would like it or something when she visits from florida. Then I tried Song in the smoke demo and I like the idea but It's too much fumbling around with rocks and sticks, and bows, and clubs. Like I just feel like a jumbling fool in it so I didn't even finish it. I then snap purchased Jurassic Park which I know is NOT a great game but it looks like a nice 7-8 hour romp through Jurassic Park in a classic TellTale sort of way. I think I'm finally done buying games. RE8/GT7/Horizon/Moss1 and 2/Jurassic Park/Star Wars/Kayak and finally No Mans Sky. The worst part is I still have to finish Dead Space and I'm only an hour into Hogwarts. FML.

Edit: Pavlov is calling my name after having a blast at the shooting range in RE8. Let me know how you like it.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I have this thing pressed as close to my head as possible. I keep hoping it cuts off my circulation so my brain goes into VR overdrive. Also it's so I can get really zoomed into things lol

Minsc

Gold Member
Second session done - more Horizon, tiniest bit of Star Wars, and RE8 (intro/VR tutorial and opening parts of game). I am playing RE8 in constant fear it's going to throw some cheap BS jump scare at me right now it's a bit terrifying. I might have to watch a playthrough first or play it flat first so I don't have to be so terrified all the time. Horror games really aren't for me, but graphically it's very impressive. I'm torn on how I want the weapons to be handled too, the complex/realistic mode is fun and I think I like it more, but if I'm going to be scared and fumbling around, the assist mode where it loads the various weapons will be more useful. I guess I have to just get a feel for how fair the game is - RE4 is generally very fair, so I wouldn't have a problem in that, by that I mean how often it surprises you out of no where, off guard and needs to to react instantly.

My takeaway after 2 hours of standing up though is I need to incorporate sitting games in the mix, I stand a lot during work (almost all day) and to do extended standing like that after work just tires my feet out haha.

I had a much easier time finding the sweet spot this time too. I think my biggest desire with the headset now is not the clarity or sharpness but if the next one had a way of fully occupying your peripheral vision so it doesn't even feel like you're looking through goggles, that would be a huge improvement. But you get used to the limited peripheral vision pretty quickly once you start playing, and I guess in darker games like RE8 with the flashlight sections you can't even really tell at all that it's cut off.

Edit: I realized my issue is I haven't experienced any jump scares in VR yet, so that's why I think they'd be overly effective to the point it worries me in the game, where jump scares on a flat TV barely get a reaction out of me. I just need more time with VR and experiencing things rushing up to attack me etc, RE8 really isn't the best game to get introduced to it all I'm thinking haha.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

I mean there is a difference in having 285 nits 1 cm from your eyes than a TV 2m away from you. That's what i mean, i wonder whats the equivalent in normal TV nits.
I have a projector on my main system and I read somewhere that it only outputs 1xx nits, but in darkness it still looks bright and great.
The psvr2 is said to let no outside light in (Sorry, i have no access to my PSVR2 until eary march), so I guess 285 nits is way more than needed.

Holy shit, I just experienced Rez infinite Area X with type-4 controls and *OMG* it could only be described as an out-of-body experience. It's so incredibly beautiful, I literally cried. Tears streaming down my face as I reached the end. It was the most emotional gaming experience I've had in my life. Everything came together is such a beautiful cacophony of visual, audio and interactive synchronicity I just got lost in the moment. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING has ever come close to what I just experienced. What a time to be alive!

Holy shit, I just experienced Rez infinite Area X with type-4 controls and *OMG* it could only be described as an out-of-body experience. It's so incredibly beautiful, I literally cried. Tears streaming down my face as I reached the end. It was the most emotional gaming experience I've had in my life. Everything came together is such a beautiful cacophony of visual, audio and interactive synchronicity I just got lost in the moment. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING has ever come close to what I just experienced. What a time to be alive!
Is the rest of Rez worth buying for PSVR2?

Last edited:

Crayon

Okay Pavlov TAKES A LITTLE DEXTERITY.

Thank god for these pullies jesus christ I am whirling left and right it's kind of amazing. And I'm just trying to plug slow moving bots!!!!

I did another small mod. The movement is so hectic that I am getting the back band sliding up my head a bit so I went to weight it. I used two c batteries mounted out on 1" foam blocks for leverage. Makes a big difference actually.

Jesus this game feels more physical than beat saber. Largely because I get tense trying to manage my weapons and fuck them up all over the place. I keep buying random guns and realizing i don't know how to work them as soon as I finish a mag. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Is the rest of Rez worth buying for PSVR2?
I believe it's the only game with eye-tracked aiming so for that reason, I think it's totally worth it as a full package. YMMV though. Some might say it's an acquired taste and some people just don't "get it". With eye tracking it might be considered a little too easy. It's got a banging soundtrack. If you're into music like Leftfield or Orbital, it'll be right up your alley. If not, wait for sale.

Crayon

I have this thing pressed as close to my head as possible. I keep hoping it cuts off my circulation so my brain goes into VR overdrive. Also it's so I can get really zoomed into things lol

VR OVERDRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEE

I get it in marathon sessions and I love it.

Everyone, you too can go into overdrive. Just stay in there and force-feed you eyes and brain till they give up on reality and it will feel more real than ever.

Hawk269

I love this thing so much, but I have two burning questions:

1. Is there any way to increase the size of the temporary play area? I play sitting down, and the play area boundary sensitivity notifications are set to Low. I am still seeing the red warnings when reaching sometimes in Horizon.

2. If I need to take a break, what's the best way to put the headset back on and reorient yourself with the controllers in hand afterwards? Using the passthrough cam works, but the stupid "Put the controller in your hand" message blocks some of the view lol
#1 is the biggest issue I am having with the headset so far. I am a big guy and I am constantly hitting the boundary and in some games it switches you to the external camera (Star Wars). It really is effecting my enjoyement since I play primairily sitting down and not being able to adjust this is a MAJOR issue.

#1 is the biggest issue I am having with the headset so far. I am a big guy and I am constantly hitting the boundary and in some games it switches you to the external camera (Star Wars). It really is effecting my enjoyement since I play primairily sitting down and not being able to adjust this is a MAJOR issue.
Lean forward a little bit when setting the sitting play area and it will extend out more in front of you. You lose some area behind you, but it hasn't affected me much thus far.

Crayon

I have yet to try anything sitting. I'm interested in seeing what the problem is.

So has anyone else had a revelation about how lopsided their face is thanks to that fantastic eye-tracked alignment screen? When I trully line it up to my eyes, that thing is way more cockeyed than I would ever think to put it with no guidance like that. The band makes it easy to tilt and adjust that way. It really does work best when I just accept my face is that fucked up and tilt it. :messenger_unamused:

Crayon

Linus LOVES the PSVR2. He's live now but if you go back to the very beginning he talks about how he wants a PS5 because the PSVR2 is so good. They have a full review coming soon.

Oh nice. That's one of the most important channels to get good marks on. Reviews have been super good all around, though.

Linus LOVES the PSVR2. He's live now but if you go back to the very beginning he talks about how he wants a PS5 because the PSVR2 is so good. They have a full review coming soon.

Did Linus just say the PSVR2 launches next week??? eh...

edit: I have zero doubt now that the PSVR2 is a grassroots soft launch targetting mainly the hardcore and dedicated fans. This is most obviously true due to the fact that it's only available through PS Direct in many major countries. I hope we see a wider launch coming into the summer.

Last edited:

Hawk269

I had to use my Quest 2 because I forgot my username for Zenith. What I noticed is that the comfort of the PSVR2 is better. However, while the resolution is better on the PSVR2 clarity seems better on the Quest 2. One of the big, I mean MASSIVE big things is that the Quest 2 UI is just amazing compared to Sony using flat screen. They really need to make a nice VR Dashboard for PSVR2 users. It is such a massive improvement in the Quest 2. I also noticed just messing with my Quest 2 is that the Sweet Spot is so much wider on the Quest 2. On the PSVR2 while I have not had major issues, it does take a bit more to line it it.

Only real issues I am having other than the boundary for Sit Down is that I am getting a stuffy nose and runny nose when using the PSVR2. It seems to be putting a lot of preesure on my sinus and causing the stuff/runny nose. I am going to make some adjustments tonight/tomorrow to see if I can make this better.

I did play the Star Wars demo and WOW that game is really nice. Going to wait on a sale and buy this.

So for me the biggest issues in order are:

#1) The Boundary when playing sit down is not allowed to be adjusted. This has caused major issues with many games.

#2) The lack of VR UI. Really is a shame they could not do something here. I am hoping that Sony is working on giving us a UI/Dashboard that is for VR.

#3) Need to make some adjustments so it does not put as much preesure on my sinus.

SRTtoZ

Rez was given out for free arround two years ago, so you may own the old version already and maybe you can upgrade cheap?
Same for thumper
Yea they don't let you get the 'cheap upgrade' if you have the PS+ version. Same goes for Tetris. You can download the PS4 versions with PSVR support but they aren't the new ones and I'm not sure if they support the PSVR2.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
Pavlov is just too much fun. It's the only game I've played since opening the box earlier today and it's hard to want to do anything else!

Top Bottom