• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Crayon

Yooooo Horizon. I am coming around a bit. I just spent hours in pavlov and i'm feeling pretty limber. I threw on horizon and the climbing was actually pretty fun! You can go pretty fast when you get the nuance of it. And there is some nuance. You can basically jump if you really yank your arm back to launch from an edge.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's important to remember that TV clarity is always gonna look way better than VR clarity. Just a natural consequence of having a light screen in front of your eyes.

I find the graininess noticible when I put on the headset. But after a minute of playing. My brain completely forgets about it.

In a weird way, the more PSVR2 I play, the better it looks.

Same here. Every time I put it on it looks better and better. I think it's mainly because I'm getting used to looking past the screen door effect.

Tygeezy

the reprojection in Horizon and GT7 really ruins the experience for me. Might as well be running at 30fps. NMS also looks like dogshit. Starwars of all things brought me around. That game looks and feels like a real, polished VR experience.
I own 4 psvr 2 games and 3 of them use reprojection and are borderline unplayable to me. The motion blur artifact from the reprojection is horrible. Had I know most games would be using 60 fps to 120 hz reprojection and their algorithm would be this bad I wouldn’t have bought the psvr 2. It’s that bad to me.

Pavlov looks fantastic at 90 hz. I’m not sure why don’t didn’t allow 72 hz or even 80 hz as options if most devs can’t make it to 90…

Tygeezy

Buy Pavlov! It has a lot of content, isn't that much to buy and is nothing short of amazing. It's the biggest surprise of the launch line up and I own most of the games available.
It’s one of like two games not using reprojection either. It looks fantastic and plays great. I’m massive disappointed with the amount of reprojection titles. They all look awful.

Crayon

It’s one of like two games not using reprojection either. It looks fantastic and plays great. I’m massive disappointed with the amount of reprojection titles. They all look awful.

I see it in horizon and it's annoying but doesn't drive me crazy. Now I want to see gt. I've been avoiding jumping around a bunch of games so I haven't got to gt yet.

Rac3r

GT7 is such a treat. Just driving straight on Special Stage Route X in a Mazda Roadster feels so surreal (still trying to get my VR legs so taking it slow). I'm pretty late to the VR scene but I'm definitely a believer now. The immersion is next level.

Also I finally got the fit right on the headset. Someone mentioned that the scope doesn't really need sit on your nose, and I realized that keeping it too close to my eyes was my main issue (wearing the headset like goggles). I pulled the scope out a bit until it just barely rests on my nose and comfortably hangs in place, while keeping the back part of the headset as low as possible until I see the sweet spot, then lock it in.

Tygeezy

I see it in horizon and it's annoying but doesn't drive me crazy. Now I want to see gt. I've been avoiding jumping around a bunch of games so I haven't got to gt yet.
It’s awful in resident evil 8. It blurs everything in motion including the prompts you see to press x. You have to be completely still to read text. Strafing from left to right blurs the edges of objects. Try moving your hands in front of your face and you get a nasty blur.

duck_sauce

I hear almost no one talking about No mans Sky VR. No reviews or YouTube impressions. Is it that bad? Has someone tested it already?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
How does the gunplay compare of various fps games?

RE8 vs Pavlov vs light brigade, etc

I’ve only played village but it’s a truly next gen feel to the controls

Also, in fps games do y’all use snap turn or smooth turn?

Crayon

I have something to show to people and I know rofif rofif who have that back strap slipping. I'm a serial tinkerer and I tried this mod to counterweight the scope. PSVR2 lets me get way more physical than the first one and I was starting to get more of the band slipping up. Part of it is my hair, which fine and a little long in a way that is slippery. I started experimenting with some counterweight. Different weights and mounting etc. This setup works and the headset is better balanced without adding excessive weight.

That is 4 aa batteries that I found to be the right weight. I am crafty (its my job) and keep many materials and fasteners around. Those dense foam blocks hold the batteries out about 3 inches to get some leverage. Without leverage you are adding more weight than necessary.

If you strap that onto the back of the headband too tight, it will inhibit the band from sliding open or closed. So first I grabbed the blocks and the batteries and wrapped them up real tight. Then I stuck them on the band with a square of nano tape and strapped them on as tight as I could without pinning the mech underneath and getting the headband stuck. The nano tape can be removed with no residue and minimal residue from the electrical tape. I don't know if the nano tape is necessary but you could practically stick the weighted blocks on with that stuff alone. I love it.

This is kinda ghetto and I might take it off but I can tell you it works. It's not adding too much weight but its held far enough away to make a difference. You can use more weight (I tried a c battery) but then you start picking up inertia when you turn your head. Just a little like this is enough to make a difference. I'm not sure if I need it. I was mostly goofing around because I do that. But the result does work and I've seen some people really frustrated because they get more slipping (I think it happens at least a little bit to everyone unless you're bald maybe) and I wanted to share. If you can get over having to bodge some shit onto your expensive new headset, then maybe try it out.

Last edited:

Crayon

Try turning the speed up. It’s going to be nauseating for most people at a slow turn which is usually what it defaults to.

This is good advice. I even take it farther and recommend snap turn. Artificial panning doesn'e make me sick but it strains the shit out of my eyes. If you want to use smooth turn, crank the speed up. You can also turn you head a tiny bit with the turn to make it more comfortable.

I hear almost no one talking about No mans Sky VR. No reviews or YouTube impressions. Is it that bad? Has someone tested it already?
It’s awfully blurry. There is a thread on Reddit about it. Everyone said the same thing. Theory is that it was a rushed release to make it for launch. The original launch date was supposed to be March. Another theory is that the wrong update was pushed out for PSVR2. I don’t know about any of that, just that it looks like I blurry mess to me.

mckmas8808

Played REZ area X with eye tracking...

Holy shit. That might be the most insane thing I've seen in VR. Feel like I was in a dream

Holy shit, I just experienced Rez infinite Area X with type-4 controls and *OMG* it could only be described as an out-of-body experience. It's so incredibly beautiful, I literally cried. Tears streaming down my face as I reached the end. It was the most emotional gaming experience I've had in my life. Everything came together is such a beautiful cacophony of visual, audio and interactive synchronicity I just got lost in the moment. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING has ever come close to what I just experienced. What a time to be alive!

I'm so happy to read the above quotes. I just beat Rez last night for the 2nd time (I had it for PSVR) and it's just so amazing. Some people just don't understand how a video game can make people feel this way, but it's real. And it's mainly possible in VR. Only 1 non VR game made me feel like Rez. And that's Journey.

Linus LOVES the PSVR2. He's live now but if you go back to the very beginning he talks about how he wants a PS5 because the PSVR2 is so good. They have a full review coming soon.

Oh cool. This is something I'd like more people to say going forward this year. I have every reason to believe that PSVR2 will increase PS5 demand this year.

Crayon

What is this quick calibration utility you guys are speaking of?

Double tap ps button to get little vr menu and it's "adjust visibility".

I did this and it does make a difference

I tried turning it down two ticks. Not sure if I was able to see the difference because I tried it with horizon and I haven't played it for a bit so I didn't get a back to back. Definitely didn't look dark with just that two ticks. How much did you lower it?

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I don't see anyone mentioning Runner in here? It's at my top VR games to play - only waiting for pay day and I will get it + Pavlov.

The aesthetics ❤️

Crayon

I don't see anyone mentioning Runner in here? It's at my top VR games to play - only waiting for pay day and I will get it + Pavlov.

The aesthetics ❤️

Already bought it but haven't tried. I have been playing all standing games because I'm so excited for the freedom of movement after being stuck facing the camera with psvr1.

This thing is fucking great. :messenger_beaming: This pulley set is fantastic, too. I can get crazy. I can tell it's stressful on the cord and will shorten it's life though. I will feel better about it when they make replacement parts available.

mckmas8808

I've never tried the original PSVR, but I've used the Vive and Quest2. The Vive was my first try in VR and I remember that it was a learning curve to like tell your body it wasn't real, so you didn't "wobble" irl on the floor while moving ingame. Im now at a point where this isnt an issue. Still, I remember that after that first VR experience, it felt like my brain was still in "VR mode" several minutes after the experience. I remember driving my car after a session and there was a queue of cars infront of me. I got the feeling that I could just use my hand to select the different cars and then just move them out of the way. Trippy feeling. I've never had that same feeling again during my Quest2 time. After my first experience with PSVR2 in Horizon and GT7, I got the same feeling agian. My brain was obviously tricked on a more subconscious level than I would know, because after my session I picked up my phone, and my brain was obviously still in VR mode, 'cause I got a feeling I watched my phone in VR. Surreal feeling. Obviosly I knew I wasn't but the feeling was kinda same as when you experience Déjà vu.

It's obviously because the VR is so good that the brain is fooled, even though you know it's "fake", but still some synapses say's it's real.
Is it only me that's experienced this? I've never heard anyone talk about it, so i'm actually curious to know...

Edit: My Vive experience was obviously some years ago when it was brand new.

I had the same experience with the first PlayStation vr. There were many times I took the headset off but my brain was still in VR mode. It was insane and it lasted about one month. After that my brain stop getting confused between reality and VR.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have something to show to people and I know rofif rofif who have that back strap slipping. I'm a serial tinkerer and I tried this mod to counterweight the scope. PSVR2 lets me get way more physical than the first one and I was starting to get more of the band slipping up. Part of it is my hair, which fine and a little long in a way that is slippery. I started experimenting with some counterweight. Different weights and mounting etc. This setup works and the headset is better balanced without adding excessive weight.

That is 4 aa batteries that I found to be the right weight. I am crafty (its my job) and keep many materials and fasteners around. Those dense foam blocks hold the batteries out about 3 inches to get some leverage. Without leverage you are adding more weight than necessary.

If you strap that onto the back of the headband too tight, it will inhibit the band from sliding open or closed. So first I grabbed the blocks and the batteries and wrapped them up real tight. Then I stuck them on the band with a square of nano tape and strapped them on as tight as I could without pinning the mech underneath and getting the headband stuck. The nano tape can be removed with no residue from the nano tape and minimal residue from the electrical tape. I don't know if the nano take is necessary but you could practically stick the weighted blocks on with that stuff alone. I love it.

This is kinda ghetto and I might take it off but I can tell you it works. It's not adding too much weight but its held far enough away to make a difference. You can use more weight (I tried a c battery) but then you start picking up inertia when you turn your head. Just a little like this is enough to make a difference. I'm not sure if I need it. I was mostly goofing around because I do that. But the result does work and I've seen some people really frustrated because they get more slipping (I think it happens at least a little bit to everyone unless you're bald maybe) and I wanted to share. If you can get over having to bodge some shit onto your expensive new headset, then maybe try it out.
Interesting. Is this 2 batteries in each block?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
nah, I have a vast psvr1 collection, I absolutely loved psvr1, I personally do not think there's a big difference between the two machines.

Woah that’s crazy to me if psvr1 is your reference point and you loved it

PSVR2 is such a massive improvement from psvr1 all around, and certainly is much clearer

You sure you have it set up right??

Last edited:
Woah that’s crazy to me if psvr1 is your reference point and you loved it

PSVR2 is such a massive improvement from psvr1 all around, and certainly is much clearer

You sure you have it set up right??
yeah, I mean I'm not about to start sticking fucking batteries to it weigh it down to help find the sweet spot 😄 thats just madness.

I hope those that enjoy it continue to do so, but I for one am seriously disappointed in it.

I've been playing Kayak VR and Gran Turismo and I honestly don't see any difference between that and driveclub vr.

£530 pieces of kit shouldn't be needing batteries and counterweights being taped to them.

I wanted to be sat here typing WOW instead I just feel MEH.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
yeah, I mean I'm not about to start sticking fucking batteries to it weigh it down to help find the sweet spot 😄 thats just madness.

I hope those that enjoy it continue to do so, but I for one am seriously disappointed in it.

I've been playing Kayak VR and Gran Turismo and I honestly don't see any difference between that and driveclub vr.

£530 pieces of kit shouldn't be needing batteries and counterweights being taped to them.

Have you played RE8 or Horizon?

You don’t need batteries strapped to your head to get the sweet spot

Just find your perspective odd. I was mostly a psvr1 gamer as my reference and the jump is pretty enormous

Granted it still has a VR “look” but that didn’t seem to bother you with PSVR1 which was much worse?

Have you played RE8 or Horizon?

You don’t need batteries strapped to your head to get the sweet spot

Just find your perspective odd. I was mostly a psvr1 gamer as my reference and the jump is pretty enormous

Granted it still has a VR “look” but that didn’t seem to bother you with PSVR1 which was much worse?
yeah, I tried the horizon demo, and I gave up when the hands/controls seemed to just do the opposite of what I was asking them to do.

the only difference to me is that VR2 doesnt need a camera on top of the tv and the controllers don't have daft fucking circular colour changing balls ontop.

gutted really cause I wanted to love it.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
yeah, I tried the horizon demo, and I gave up when the hands/controls seemed to just do the opposite of what I was asking them to do.

the only difference to me is that VR2 doesnt need a camera on top of the tv and the controllers don't have daft fucking circular colour changing balls ontop.

Man you gotta go back and try psvr1 again, I think you’ll be shocked at the difference

Soosa

Banned

Are you trolling?

I mean, my only vr experience before vr2 were psvr1 like 3-4 years ago for a week and I still remember how much worse it were, like unplayable level.

If controllers did the opposite, you must have had them on wrong hands lol.

Driveclub VR looked like diarrhea of crayons and made me sick for weeks, so you cant seriously claim that psvr2 games look the same.

I were also really disappointed to psvr2 on first day, but after messing around with it, it is pretty impressive. yeah MORA is always visible and graphics arent 4k crisp and sweet spot is in the center of the lens and areas on edges are blurry and using eye glasses sucks. But still from unplayable (vr1) to easily over the playable level (vr2) is big jump.

and if you are not trolling:
a) your unit is somehow defective
b) user/setup error.
c) you need to check your eyes and need glasses now

it should look pretty clear when it the setup is done right and room isnt too dark. Try to do the adjustments one more time, eye distance dial alone can make things look weird.

Are you trolling?

I mean, my only vr experience before vr2 were psvr1 like 3-4 years ago for a week and I still remember how much worse it were, like unplayable level.

If controllers did the opposite, you must have had them on wrong hands lol.

Driveclub VR looked like diarrhea of crayons and made me sick for weeks, so you cant seriously claim that psvr2 games look the same.

I were also really disappointed to psvr2 on first day, but after messing around with it, it is pretty impressive. yeah MORA is always visible and graphics arent 4k crisp and sweet spot is in the center of the lens and areas on edges are blurry and using eye glasses sucks. But still from unplayable (vr1) to easily over the playable level (vr2) is big jump.

and if you are not trolling:
a) your unit is somehow defective
b) user/setup error.
c) you need to check your eyes and need glasses now

it should look pretty clear when it the setup is done right and room isnt too dark. Try to do the adjustments one more time, eye distance dial alone can make things look weird.
I'm not trolling.

VivaR3V

Neo Member
I am going to be in the process of trying to set a return up with Sony direct (UK) after discovering a dead pixel whilst playing GT7 last evening. I only noticed it because if the particular track that had a lot of grey in the early part, confirming it by spending an hour cleaning and then testing to confirm. Now I’ve noticed it, it’s impossible to get away from seeking out during play .. also a lesson for me to never buy from Sony direct again (UK) as nothing is ever guaranteed with them. I have already used the code for Horizon, so I just hope they don’t create some drama over this. I will get a refund and wait it out and buy maybe again later In the year from Amazon, if they ever start selling them.

Having said that, I think I prefer my Quest2 as it’s smaller and no fuss. I did not realise the cable would be so annoying, also not that great a leap from my Quest2 in terms of visuals. If anything, finding that “sweet spot” is way more difficult than I had expected. Also the early previews made this out to be way better than it’s turned out to be. I don’t think Meta have anything to worry about going forward with regards to PSVR2.

Last edited:

Forth

Neophyte
I am going to be in the process of trying to set a return up with Sony direct (UK) after discovering a dead pixel whilst playing GT7 last evening. I only noticed it because if the particular track that had a lot of grey in the early part, confirming it by spending an hour cleaning and then testing to confirm. Now I’ve noticed it, it’s impossible to get away from seeking out during play .. also a lesson for me to never buy from Sony direct again (UK) as nothing is ever guaranteed with them. I have already used the code for Horizon, so I just hope they don’t create some drama over this. I will get a refund and wait it out and buy maybe again later In the year from Amazon, if they ever start selling them.

Having said that, I think I prefer my Quest2 as it’s smaller and no fuss. I did not realise the cable would be so annoying, also not that great a leap from my Quest2 in terms of visuals. If anything, finding that “sweet spot” is way more difficult than I had expected. Also the early previews made this out to be way better than it’s turned out to be. I don’t think Meta have anything to worry about going forward with regards to PSVR2.mine is due to arrive tomorrow, is there anything I should do that'll show any dead pixels if there are any?
mine is due to arrive tomorrow, is there anything I should do that'll show any dead pixels if there are any?

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Having said that, I think I prefer my Quest2 as it’s smaller and no fuss. I did not realise the cable would be so annoying, also not that great a leap from my Quest2 in terms of visuals. If anything, finding that “sweet spot” is way more difficult than I had expected. Also the early previews made this out to be way better than it’s turned out to be. I don’t think Meta have anything to worry about going forward with regards to PSVR2.
Fair , not everyone will love it.

VivaR3V

Neo Member
mine is due to arrive tomorrow, is there anything I should do that'll show any dead pixels if there are any?

I was oblivious to it for the first two days, because of the way your eyes are constantly refocusing you are sometimes looking beyond the dead pixel(s) if that makes sense. I found it by playing “USA Blue Moon Bay Speedway” in GT7, simple track with a lot of light grey in the early part, then was able to locate it pretty much everywhere, but had to focus my eye to “see it” clearly. I also loaded up some YouTube DeadPixel test video (just image slides) but again, your focusing has to be just right to see any. Thats why you really need to concentrate during the return period to be sure you don’t have any. It’s not as obvious as it is in a TV or monitor until you “see it”. Theres no way I am going to keep it now.

VivaR3V

Neo Member
Fair , not everyone will love it.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good piece of tech for those jumping in to VR for the first time or perhaps upgrading from PS VR1, but the previews and early write ups did over egg what we might expect. Like I say, visual clarity wise (just my opinion), it is no better than my Quest2. I am not talking about what it can pump out, throw on the screen, because clearly it can do more there.

I will say that GT7 is quite an experience and could see many easily being happy buying their device just for this one title. But as impressive as it is, the actual visuals are not at all impressive.

Had I not found the dead pixel, I would have kept (I bought a few games too).. but returning it (all going well with Sony) I might not even buy it back. I think the convenience of having no tethering is the real killer feature for VR enjoyment. Something a few of us are overlooking.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I really wish I was less a of a grumpy asshole.
I can’t enjoy this. It’s very uncomfortable, slips off the back of my head and my eyesight it all bad. I am a bit shortsighted and it’s blurry. And glasses fit but the. Everything distorts due to astigmatism correction in glasses.
And the sweet spot is so small :(

It’s a shame because I can see the screen is great. I might return it still but idk

Edit: at least my father is very impressed. Playing horizon right now. He never gets tired of vr and always visits me when I get a new one. He finished whole alyx

If you really like it and want to keep it, maybe try ordering custom lenses for $50......

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
People seem quick to judge others ability to see the "sweet" spot, isn't it very likely that it varies from unit to unit a little, and or there may even be the odd defective unit?

Today in horizon my right control didn’t detect R2 and X for a while. Also I realize that the ground in horizon is well offset of my hands . I’m 1.78m, I suppose the character is very short? No way to setup it? The ground level at the vr2 setting is ok but not inside the game

Last edited:

ToadMan

How do you all like the included earbuds?
Reviewers say they are decent but I find them extremely bad. Like the worst earbuds I've ever had.
Am I doing something wrong? I've tried all the fits that are included but none of them fit well. Maybe that's the reason?
I find the sound very tinny and sharp. No bass at all, not even a little bit.

For those that have the Quest 2, do you like them better than the build in audio form the Quest?

Yeah the bass is bad - I found leaving the TV sound on while wearing the earphones adds the bass for me though.

I just like how convenient they are so I’d rather put up with them for now than wear a separate set.

Last edited:
Top Bottom