• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

The counterweight idea is something I did with my old Oculus Rift CV1 - worked a treat and kept the headset from slipping - similar to this:

I have this slipping issue with the PSVR2 until I turn the dial all the way but that is uncomfortable. May give the counterweight idea a go (I used car wheel alignment weights in my CV1 - thinner than batteries and more granular weights than batteries).

As someone who has used VR since 2016 the snap vs smooth turning discussion is interesting. I hate smooth turning - really makes me feel queasy so I use both snap turning and natural turning. It can make the cable kink but using both methods minimises that.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Just beat Horizon, literally blown away. Where s the OT for this game?

Oh but it's just a "climbing sim"??? Fuck offffff I may be a noob in VR but that was some truly shocking next-level climbing! The illusion of scale and distance is just insane, how that messes with your inner ear... some of the late missions when you really doing all the stunts very high up the mountain made me shit bricks sweating trying just to maintain balance on my feet. Just try looking down!
Combat is another strong point, surprisingly enough, I think it's nicely adapted to VR. Shooting feels great, just like all the gadgets.

I'm replaying it to find all collectibles and beat all the extra challenges after I get some rest, the whole experience is very "physical" and energy-consuming, at least in standing mode.

I hated Forbidden West, now I can't wait for Burning Shores. Nice job Jimbo.

Forth

Neophyte
Does anyone think that the VR game space feels like a bunch of add ons?
I really thought Sony would fix this with version 2 but it just feels like the same old thing as when version 1 came out.

Rob_27

Does anyone think that the VR game space feels like a bunch of add ons?
I really thought Sony would fix this with version 2 but it just feels like the same old thing as when version 1 came out.
I think it's a bit early to conclude that at the moment. I had similar reservation but just jumped in balls deep again hoping. We shall see. Maybe they were testing the water last time.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
I meant to ask how this was. Thanks so much. This was a game I even had pre ordered but wanted to make sure I wasn’t gonna get sick
Finally got a look-in on the psvr while my wife was out lol I can see why she is hooked on Townsmen. The style of modelling/texturing works so well. its simplicity works in its favour. It really is like having your own living model village.

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
It’s awfully blurry. There is a thread on Reddit about it. Everyone said the same thing. Theory is that it was a rushed release to make it for launch. The original launch date was supposed to be March. Another theory is that the wrong update was pushed out for PSVR2. I don’t know about any of that, just that it looks like I blurry mess to me.
Agreed, it’s messy. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Reddit thread turns out to be true. It is however worth having a look at. The feeling of presence for me is quite cool especially in your ship. I was craning around looking out the cockpit at my ship and the feeling of being in a ship in space was pretty cool.

Gamerguy84

I really hope they have some big VR titles in the works.
Astro Bot surely has to be in there, a re-release of the original would have helped immensely.

It's safe to say that a new one or a remake is in the works. I just got free updates on Job Simulator and Vacation Sim.

VR has been so small compared to 2d gaming that I would think all the popular titles are getting another release.

Beat Saber immediately comes to mind. That game is so good and is nowehere to be found yet, also Wipeout and Ace Combat.

So I would say people are stealthily behind the scenes to get these and more out.

I’ll keep on trying to adjust the headset, maybe my eyes need to get adjusted as I nerver used vr before. I’d love to try another headset to see if mine is faulty, so at least I know if it’s me or not.
When's the last time you saw an optometrist?
It’s one of like two games not using reprojection either. It looks fantastic and plays great. I’m massive disappointed with the amount of reprojection titles. They all look awful.
I definitely don't see what you see. I own multiple vr headsets, and this one is very close to a Q2 with a high end PC.
Oh cool. This is something I'd like more people to say going forward this year. I have every reason to believe that PSVR2 will increase PS5 demand this year.
This will not drive PS5 demand. I love it, but it's an enthusiast device.
nah, I have a vast psvr1 collection, I absolutely loved psvr1, I personally do not think there's a big difference between the two machines.
Then you need glasses, badly. There is no other explanation, because the difference is literally night and day. Like, I've seen valid complaints about the headset, but this isn't one of them. I even question if you've actually tried both headsets, or are just trolling, because the difference is so massive that you saying that just sounds ridiculous. So either you didn't set it up right, you need an optometrist, or you're a troll. I suspect it's the first or second.

Last edited:

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
I tried the COTM demo. Loved it, surprisingly. I played halfway through the first game, loved the start but when I got to the desert city and its FF-wannabe styling I lost interest. Didn’t even bother with HFW.
The demo though is really immerisive. Some really nice touches and attention to detail had me playing it over and over and tinkering with things while I did.
i loled in delight pulling out the arrow from the watcher in the intro

The smooth turn did strain my eyes/brain a bit. I’ll try it again with a faster turn rate or revert to snapping when I eventually buy it.

I tried the Humanity demo. Wow! Day flippin’ one for this! At first I just thought “Lemmings” but it’s so much more than that. Very surreal with a nice aesthetic (weirdly reminds me of Control).

And as a few people have said don’t sleep on the Cactus game. It’s free, fun and funny.

Markio128

Gold Member
Pistol Whip is super intense, especially when you are trying to shoot the enemies to the beat. The game does have a sitting mode, but some of the levels require you to move left or right to dodge columns and I’m not sure how they expect you to do that while sitting down.
I guess I’m going to have to get physical and play it standing to get the best out of it. It’s worth it though - such a cool game to play.

There seems to be loads of content as well; around 10 arcade levels as well as a separate campaign mode - there is more to unlock, but I really need to git gud before that happens.

These sort of games bring back that ’just one more go’ feeling of the best arcade games for me. Highly recommended for anyone on the fence.

Last edited:
Pistol Whip is super intense, especially when you are trying to shoot the enemies to the beat. The game does have a sitting mode, but some of the levels require you to move left or right to dodge columns and I’m not sure how they expect you to do that while sitting down.
I guess I’m going to have to get physical and play it standing to get the best out of it. It’s worth it though - such a cool game to play.

There seems to be loads of content as well; around 10 arcade levels as well as a separate campaign mode - there is more to unlock as well, but I really need to git gud before that happens.

These sort of games bring back the ’just one more go’ feeling of the best arcade games for me. Highly recommended for anyone on the fence.
The visuals are very nice too, this gen is going to be awesome for the psvr 2

Moonjt9

No Silksong? = Delivering the pain.
Just got mine after giving in to the hype around gran turismo. Holy hell. Getting in that driver seat for the first time was pretty amazing. The immersion is off the charts. I found myself just parking on the side of grand valley just to check everything out. Then a race at spa in gr3 cars… going up radillion actually gave my stomach a lurch like if I were actually changing elevation. Insane.

This is the coolest shit I’ve experienced in a video game since I tugged on Mario’s nose on the super Mario 64 start screen.

Markio128

Gold Member
The visuals are very nice too, this gen is going to be awesome for the psvr 2
I wasn’t so struck by the visuals when I watched a preview on the flat screen, but they really do come into their own in VR with a great art style. The visual style is really important as well because if it was any busier then it would make it too difficult to spot enemies and bullets. They got the visuals pretty spot on imo.

Ar¢tos

Just beat Horizon, literally blown away. Where s the OT for this game?

Oh but it's just a "climbing sim"??? Fuck offffff I may be a noob in VR but that was some truly shocking next-level climbing! The illusion of scale and distance is just insane, how that messes with your inner ear... some of the late missions when you really doing all the stunts very high up the mountain made me shit bricks sweating trying just to maintain balance on my feet. Just try looking down!
Combat is another strong point, surprisingly enough, I think it's nicely adapted to VR. Shooting feels great, just like all the gadgets.

I'm replaying it to find all collectibles and beat all the extra challenges after I get some rest, the whole experience is very "physical" and energy-consuming, at least in standing mode.

I hated Forbidden West, now I can't wait for Burning Shores. Nice job Jimbo.
How bad is VR climbing for people that have "issues" with heights?

When's the last time you saw an optometrist?

I definitely don't see what you see. I own multiple vr headsets, and this one is very close to a Q2 with a high end PC.

This will not drive PS5 demand. I love it, but it's an enthusiast device.

Then you need glasses, badly. There is no other explanation, because the difference is literally night and day. Like, I've seen valid complaints about the headset, but this isn't one of them. I even question if you've actually tried both headsets, or are just trolling, because the difference is so massive that you saying that just sounds ridiculous. So either you didn't set it up right, you need an optometrist, or you're a troll. I suspect it's the first or second.
nZguAms.jpg

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Has anyone tried Demeo yet? Looks kinda decent, a wee MP top down tabletop DnD game, I'd be tempted if I could try a demo but I'm not spunkin £30 on a whim

SilentUser

I absol
Has anyone tried Demeo yet? Looks kinda decent, a wee MP top down tabletop DnD game, I'd be tempted if I could try a demo but I'm not spunkin £30 on a whim
I absolutely love it! Playing with friends is a blast, we spent hours each time we played and today we are going to do it again!

AddiF

Hello VR friends.

I need your help.

What games should I look at to help me ease into the VR world, games that are not too fast and less likely to make me nauseous?

Horizon has been mostly good for me, the climbing is where I start to feel bad. GT7 was good in the showroom. Instant barf feeling whrn I started driving haha.

I'm taking 10-30 minute sessions and stopping when I feel it creeping up to me.

However, I am doing much better with PSVR2 than with the original PSVR! So... progress!

Agreed, it’s messy. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Reddit thread turns out to be true. It is however worth having a look at. The feeling of presence for me is quite cool especially in your ship. I was craning around looking out the cockpit at my ship and the feeling of being in a ship in space was pretty cool.

I think that's just the way the game is in VR, I mentioned the PC version a few pages back as I fired it up the other night due to Fractal. It's the same there running maxed, even bumped resolution up to 150%, as the game still looks soft with barely any distant detail on a G2. Like you say though it does play really well in VR, maybe its something that can be improved on later.

This video from NXGamer has a quick look at it (timestamped at Demeo)

SilentUser

Hello VR friends.

I need your help.

What games should I look at to help me ease into the VR world, games that are not too fast and less likely to make me nauseous?

Horizon has been mostly good for me, the climbing is where I start to feel bad. GT7 was good in the showroom. Instant barf feeling whrn I started driving haha.

However, I am doing much better with PSVR2 than with the original PSVR! So... progress!
Never got nauseated with any game, but I think Demeo wont get you dizzy and it is fun to play with friends. Puzzling Places is cool and there is a demo for you to try it out, same for Drum Rocks.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

I really wish I was less a of a grumpy asshole.
I can’t enjoy this. It’s very uncomfortable, slips off the back of my head and my eyesight it all bad. I am a bit shortsighted and it’s blurry. And glasses fit but the. Everything distorts due to astigmatism correction in glasses.
And the sweet spot is so small :(

It’s a shame because I can see the screen is great. I might return it still but idk

Edit: at least my father is very impressed. Playing horizon right now. He never gets tired of vr and always visits me when I get a new one. He finished whole alyx
I know everyones head is different but I feel like people are putting it on wrong. I keep it to the top of my head, let it rest without any adjustments, turn it on so I can see the floating text in pass through mode, then make fine adjustments until the text is crystal clear and tighten it up a bit, leaving the front sliding part until the very end. It FEELS like it's at the very top of your head but that's okay especially if that's where text looks the clearest. Then don't overtighten but make sure its snug then bring the lenses closer to your eyes without being TOO close and youre good. Then go into quick settings, do the eye alignment to make sure you're good and you should be set. After you do this a few times, it can be done in under 30 seconds. Also you don't need to adjust your eye alignment every time. Maybe every 5-10 plays.

SRTtoZ

Hello VR friends.

I need your help.

Moss 1 and 2 (bundle) is a nice slow paced adventure. Fantastic games too.

Forth

Neophyte
I'm looking at lens protection for these. I had scratches on my OG PSVR after someone used it with their glasses touching the lenses.
Would Quest 2 protectors fit okay?

I own 4 psvr 2 games and 3 of them use reprojection and are borderline unplayable to me. The motion blur artifact from the reprojection is horrible. Had I know most games would be using 60 fps to 120 hz reprojection and their algorithm would be this bad I wouldn’t have bought the psvr 2. It’s that bad to me.

Pavlov looks fantastic at 90 hz. I’m not sure why don’t didn’t allow 72 hz or even 80 hz as options if most devs can’t make it to 90…
I'm also noticing the reprojection.
I bought Kayak again even though I already played it on SteamVR, just to see the diffirence.
The OLED screen does make a diffirence in a positive way but man, that reprojection. First time I was turning my kayak in Costa Rica the trees dubbled, 2 trees were 4 trees during turning! That doesn't happen on SteamVR.
I hope they can improve this with software.

Don't recall having that problem on PSVR1. Maybe because that one had one "giant" screen instead of one screen per eye on the PSVR2.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I know everyones head is different but I feel like people are putting it on wrong. I keep it to the top of my head, let it rest without any adjustments, turn it on so I can see the floating text in pass through mode, then make fine adjustments until the text is crystal clear and tighten it up a bit, leaving the front sliding part until the very end. It FEELS like it's at the very top of your head but that's okay especially if that's where text looks the clearest. Then don't overtighten but make sure its snug then bring the lenses closer to your eyes without being TOO close and youre good. Then go into quick settings, do the eye alignment to make sure you're good and you should be set. After you do this a few times, it can be done in under 30 seconds. Also you don't need to adjust your eye alignment every time. Maybe every 5-10 plays.
How could you have it on top of your heady without it falling off?
It doesn’t rest on face. So in order to make any sweet spot adjustment, I have to move the headband

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I'm looking at lens protection for these. I had scratches on my OG PSVR after someone used it with their glasses touching the lenses.
Would Quest 2 protectors fit okay?
If they are the same shape but I don't know. Just wanted to say make sure to tell anyone with glasses yo pull scope all the way out while pitting it on or taking off.

Then bring it closer until they can focus and that's it. Nusually a notch away from where non glasses owner wear them.

SRTtoZ

How could you have it on top of your heady without it falling off?
It doesn’t rest on face. So in order to make any sweet spot adjustment, I have to move the headband
Because I tighten it enough for it not to. Now It's not sitting on top of my head like a halo but it's not angled downward towards my neck like some of the pics you see. Mine is more level above the ears with a good 1-2 inch gap between the headset and my ear. I just rest the headset on my head without any adjustments, look at AR text, move it up and down until I find the crystal clear text, tighten a little bit, make micro adjustments, full tighten. Then I bring in the goggles close to my glasses without touching and I'm done.

dorkimoe

Finally got a look-in on the psvr while my wife was out lol I can see why she is hooked on Townsmen. The style of modelling/texturing works so well. its simplicity works in its favour. It really is like having your own living model village.
How’s the resource gathering? I really want almost a full fledged idler or game like age of empires (without the combat)

TIGERCOOL

adjusting the screen brightness to its lowest value helps a good deal with the screen door effect in most games tested. In addition, it seems to enhance HDR highlights as the entire image isn't over-brightened.

It did not look great in RE8 as things were too dark in the castle. GT7 had less distacting noise in the image, but things looked a bit too dull. Might fiddle with the exposure and saturation in that games display settings.

Overall intering results. Slight adjustment period, but it seems like a more natural image in a lot of games and really does mask the SDE. Probably worth configuring brightness on a per-game basis.

XXL

adjusting the screen brightness to its lowest value helps a good deal with the screen door effect in most games tested. In addition, it seems to enhance HDR highlights as the entire image isn't over-brightened.

It did not look great in RE8 as things were too dark in the castle. GT7 had less distacting noise in the image, but things looked a bit too dull. Might fiddle with the exposure and saturation in that games display settings.

Overall intering results. Slight adjustment period, but it seems like a more natural image in a lot of games and really does mask the SDE. Probably worth configuring brightness on a per-game basis
Lowering the brightness definitely helps the image.

Damn, this thing is growing on me. The image keeps getting better and better for each time I use it as my brain is adapting. I hardly notice the screen door effect anymore and I have a much more positive attitude overall.

My immediate impression was slightly disappointing but now I keep noticing more and more little things about the system and the games that is really impressing. Trying to play in short sessions and I can't wait until the next one!

Mindman

Damn, this thing is growing on me. The image keeps getting better and better for each time I use it as my brain is adapting. I hardly notice the screen door effect anymore and I have a much more positive attitude overall.

My immediate impression was slightly disappointing but now I keep noticing more and more little things about the system and the games that is really impressing. Trying to play in short sessions and I can't wait until the next one!
Same here. Had throughts of returning it on the first day. By the third day, I can't get enough of it!

HOOO-LEEEE-SHITTTTT, after 6 days, I finally hit the Sweet Spot for the first time today in GT7 and it is ASTONISHING! A sight to behold. I can finally see what people are talking about with "crystal clear". The progress in clarity has been remarkable day by day. It started off as blurry trash/same level as PSVR1... but today it's like a layer of vaseline has just been removed. I'm not 100% there yet. I would say it's more like 70-80% but man, I blasted through the B licence, getting gold and first in my friends leaderboard in round after round. What a ride!

It's crazy to think some people are questioning what the killer app is for PSVR2. This is it! GT7 with PSVR2 is now the default way to play. You haven't played GT7 if you haven't played it in VR.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Now that I have gotten used to it and seem to be able to find the sweet spot easier I am loving it. Switching between users is pretty quick too (Thank you, I did not want to buy a second). I watched M3GAN in it today just to see how it would hold up. I am impressed. Is it as comfortable as kicking back in the recliner with nothing strapped to your head? No, but is good at blocking out distractions.

Crayon

Okay, GT7.

So I got everything all perfect with the lenses just wiped off and my water at hand and got properly lit and all that. Then went to readjust the 3d audio for different headphones, play with the brightness, blah blah little ocd about it.

I boot the game and now I have to choose a car and a race. I'm going for an arcade race on deep forest with a stock 300ZX.

No bgm, I never play like that. I've changed the steering to stick as I now realize the place I've chosen to sit does not leave me able to use the motion control right. At least I don't think so.

The rolling start cut scene is still on a 2d cinema screen but then it cuts to in the car. It looks great, but I am not shocked or having any particular revelation. I've played plenty of dirt rally and wipeout in vr. I know what this is basically about. This GT7 is exquisite sure, but that's to be expected. My expectations are met but I am not astonished. I'm being very level headed about this. I am proud of myself.

Half a lap later we're turning up the g-out into the half tunnel and I'm getting... emotional lol.

My god.

Yes and it's fucking amazing. It's like D&D/X-Com. It's pretty chill and just so easy to pick up and play. It's easily my favourite of the games I picked up so far and I bought like 8 at launch.

GT7 sitting in the driving seat was amazing but zooming in on the table in Demeo was pretty breathtaking for me. Seeing the scale increase from tiny miniatures to these huge people was really something.

Synless

I absolutely loathe how GT7 switches between 2D and 3D. It’s really off putting for me.

it’s the only major nitpick I have… other than the helmet vibration not being all the prevalent in any of the VR games I’ve played.

Last edited:

AGRacing

I really hope they have some big VR titles in the works.
Astro Bot surely has to be in there, a re-release of the original would have helped immensely.
I think they plan on stretching out the upgrades and re releases.

There are probably 10 to 20 of them damn near finished and ready to go as we speak.

Top Bottom