• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Kupfer

I really wish I was less a of a grumpy asshole.
I can’t enjoy this. It’s very uncomfortable, slips off the back of my head and my eyesight it all bad. I am a bit shortsighted and it’s blurry. And glasses fit but the. Everything distorts due to astigmatism correction in glasses.
And the sweet spot is so small :(

It’s a shame because I can see the screen is great. I might return it still but idk
Yes, that's how I feel, too. The technology is already good and works, but the image is not really crystal clear for me, unless the glasses fit absolutely perfectly, the image doubles and the area around the focus are still blurred.
I try to overlook this because once you're in the game you notice relatively little of it, but it's not perfect.
I think that more elaborate and immersive games in the future, games that really swallow you up, might put the aches and pains in the background.
At least I last longer than with the PSVR1 before I get sick. So I could just play a good hour and I'm not chalk white lying in the corner and feel sorry for myself.

Romulus

The first reviewers not mentioning how blurry it is is a fucking fail. It might be amazing quality if you been looking at Vaseline smothered SD Crt screens for the last decade, but coming from glorious 4k LCD screens it is shit.

Last time I trust anyone that gets early review hardware. How the fuck do you not mention the Vaseline-o-vision?

Rant off my chest, but the sense of immersion is unmatched... Just wish they would match the image quality of 2d hardware.

Yeah sounds like you fall into the category of many people not finding the sweet spot. The image is very clear. Just you mentioning "Vaseline vision" reveals it. I've owned several VR headsets with good IQ and psvr2 is a big step up. It's much closer to a 4k image than 1440p, which is leagues from a CRT SD. No way in hell you're seeing the full potential of it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah sounds like you fall into the category of many people not finding the sweet spot. The image is very clear. Just you mentioning "Vaseline vision" reveals it. I've owned several VR headsets with good IQ and psvr2 is a big step up. It's much closer to a 4k image than 1440p, which is leagues from a CRT SD. No way in hell you're seeing the full potential of it.
It’s not close to either 1440p or 4k monitors man

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I love how the blurriness opinion is being phased out. People that can get it to be sharp should still spread the word.
What do you mean?
It is nice and sharp if you got very good eyesight and can manage to keep it in the sweet spot. Nobody is arguing that.

But reality is, I have a -1,5 shortsightedness which is enough to have the thing blurry. Glasses help but introduce distortions.
And she terrible halo strap does not allow me to manage sweet spot.

These are valid opinions.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What do you mean?
It is nice and sharp if you got very good eyesight and can manage to keep it in the sweet spot. Nobody is arguing that.

But reality is, I have a -1,5 shortsightedness which is enough to have the thing blurry. Glasses help but introduce distortions.

dude get some lenses
or lasik

Tams

The first reviewers not mentioning how blurry it is is a fucking fail. It might be amazing quality if you been looking at Vaseline smothered SD Crt screens for the last decade, but coming from glorious 4k LCD screens it is shit.

Last time I trust anyone that gets early review hardware. How the fuck do you not mention the Vaseline-o-vision?

Rant off my chest, but the sense of immersion is unmatched... Just wish they would match the image quality of 2d hardware.
Read Book Club GIF

RTFM.

What do you mean?

Bro, I have myopy eyes. But I have contact lenses, get that thing on. You can't say it's blurry because you have eye problems, it's not anything to do with VR but you. I have like -4 and -3 so I'm almost blind from far away (cant read anything), I will just use the lens to solve it

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Bro, I have myopy eyes. But I have contact lenses, get that thing on. You can't say it's blurry because you have eye problems, it's not anything to do with VR but you. I have like -4 and -3 so I'm almost blind from far away (cant read anything), I will just use the lens to solve it
It’s not the only problem I mentioned.
What about halo strap slipping? Am I supposed to cut off my head in half lol?

SilentUser

I can’t enjoy this. It’s very uncomfortable, slips off the back of my head and my eyesight it all bad. I am a bit shortsighted and it’s blurry. And glasses fit but the. Everything distorts due to astigmatism correction in glasses.

It’s a shame because I can see the screen is great. I might return it still but idk

Edit: at least my father is very impressed. Playing horizon right now. He never gets tired of vr and always visits me when I get a new one. He finished whole alyx
Sorry to hear that, I wish more poeple will actually feel like I feel playing today.
Like I stated before, I was feeling way down when I used the headset first, I thought everything was way too blurry and the screendoor effect was very obvious. Even considered returning it for a moment.
Later that day I played 2h straight of Demeo and things started to finally 'click': IQ was getting a lot better, the headset was very, very comfortable, barely had to bother to fix it's position. I was adoring my time with it playing the game with friends.
Then, played Demeo again next night for a little over 2h straight again and I absolutely loved every second with it. IQ turned to be really good (of course, nothing like a 4K TV like I was expecting before), completely forgot about the SDE, could remove and put the headset back instantly in the sweet spot. And now I'm loving to play Light Brigade, too. Actually, I'm really loving playing anything on it :D
Two things never bothered me at all since the beginning: the cable and mura effect (which I think I have none in my PSVR2, I might be really lucky! My Oled PS Vita had a lot).
Perhaps the same might happen to you. Things get a lot better when you start to have fun with it.

It’s not the only problem I mentioned.
What about halo strap slipping? Am I supposed to cut off my head in half lol?
No, it seems you need to get it beneath the lump behind you head (if you have one), the regulate the thing so it sticks there.

Then you need to have the frontal part a little higher up

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It absolutely is. Sounds like you're having issues too by your posts. You can't even get it on your head right much less pinpoint the sweet spot.
I can’t get it on my head right? It’s my fault? Well fuck you.
I am a vr veteran here. It’s the first headset that does that

Minsc

Gold Member

It sucks it moves on you - I'm new to VR and it sits in place no matter what I do, in fact I'd be unable to remove it even if I tried to without releasing the button to expand it in the back. Not sure if it helps I have a pair of earphones on top of it as well, they just barely fit over, but the headset basically supports the ear phones as well haha, because I almost don't feel them on my head at all.

My experience is so good, that it's probably likely I'll get another VR headset down the road for PC if nothing happens with this one, or if there just happens to be a headset that appeals to me and offers some stuff not on the PSVR2. I have more than enough for a long time being new on PSVR2 - but down the road if there's no 3D movie support or some other big aspect I'm missing and am ready for more, then definitely would be open to trying another one.

Romulus

The "blurriness" thing will die in a couple of weeks.

Lol calm down. I'm just saying how can i possibly take your IQ opinion seriously when you're struggling with the fit? Not saying it's your fault, but it's a valid point with such a small sweet spot. I hope you get it resolved.

Last edited:

nowhat

Literally moving as fast as I can to only get a few minor hits in one that doesn’t do shit

Trying to heal in this scenario is insane
I struggled with it for the first time I tried it, thought it was impossible. Then on the second session, just nailed it on the first try. Did take a little while though.

Try to pick up those electric arrows if you're able, but beyond that, target the radar on their back and the other bulge (whatever it is) above their ass. Once you get those removed, it's pretty easy to take them down. Which, incidentally, is what you do in the mainline games as well.

Edit: oh I see you already got through it. Oh well, for anyone as a future reference.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Edit: at least my father is very impressed. Playing horizon right now. He never gets tired of vr and always visits me when I get a new one. He finished whole alyx
Have you turned the dial in back to tighten it down? I extend the back and front, put it over my head, find the sweet spot, then a quick tightening up and it's good for a session. Oh and adjust the dial after I got the sweet spot it fine tunes it. Also run the quick config in psvr "quick settings"

Yea glasses should be no problem but definitely worn.

Yea the screen is great for the right game. GT, RE, Kayak, etc.. I hear Pavlov is great looking.

Hopefully you can make it fit comfortably.

SilentUser

So which VR titles available on other platforms would you like to see announced for the PSVR2?

Of course I would like to have Half Life Alyx, but also would love to play VTOL, Skyrim and Derail Valley! And from Sony, would love Astrobot and Wipeout.

dorkimoe

Anyone else find resident evil 8 demo buggy as hell?

Also still refuse to except my left eye isn’t blurry ingame. Do people with glasses play?

Corian33

I bought Pistol Whip last night and that was some straight pure glee injected into my veins. I’m not sure it would be humanly possible to play that game and not have fun.

I’ve only had limited VR experience in the past so I’m having my mind blown with each new game I try. Can’t wait to do one of the online shooters.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So which VR titles available on other platforms would you like to see announced for the PSVR2?

Of course I would like to have Half Life Alyx, but also would love to play VTOL, Skyrim and Derail Valley! And from Sony, would love Astrobot and Wipeout.
PS5 definitely needs some asynchronous VR games. Takelings, Acron attack of the squirrels, Panoptic etc.
It helps make VR more social, it's a lot of fun picking up your friends and family and throwing them across a map or sticking them in a toaster, and going from the 2D viewpoint to the VR viewpoint really highlights the impact of depth perception.

Spukc

I bought Pistol Whip last night and that was some straight pure glee injected into my veins. I’m not sure it would be humanly possible to play that game and not have fun.

I’ve only had limited VR experience in the past so I’m having my mind blown with each new game I try. Can’t wait to do one of the online shooters.
aye pistol whip is crack.

i recommend it above beatsaber
if you love john wick buy that game.

i prefer to play those games on the quest vr tho..
having a wire sucks for this game

Gamerguy84

Awesome app and I use it all the time in quest. I'd like a few features brought over. One when your controllers are on the floor quest highlights them so you don't have to look. You just grab them in vr space.

I'm sure Sony will give us more functionality though FW updates.

I also want a true space exploration app. Where you can go check out all the planets and fly around. Many others but I'll stop there.

Last edited:

AddiF

So I've been playing some VR! Fun times and some headscratchers.

The screendoor effect should be called beekeeper effect. I feel like a mountain climbing beekeeper on Horizon.

One question. The foveated rendering, does it not include where your eyes are looking? Just the direction your head is at? Let's say my head is pointed straight forward but my eyes are looking around. I'm seeing a lot of blurry stuff. If I move my head as I look around, it's much less blurry. Normal, I guess. I was under the impression that where ever your eyes are looking (gazing), the foveated rendering would come to the rescue.

But overall, fun, but perhaps not as good looking as I was hoping for, but still fun. I've been playing in 15-30 minute sessions to get used to the VR experience. Nausea kicks a bit in but I force myself to stop when I feel it creeping in.

Also... blue/red aberration. Normal?

Gamerguy84

The screendoor effect should be called beekeeper effect. I feel like a mountain climbing beekeeper on Horizon.

One question. The foveated rendering, does it not include where your eyes are looking? Just the direction your head is at? Let's say my head is pointed straight forward but my eyes are looking around. I'm seeing a lot of blurry stuff. If I move my head as I look around, it's much less blurry. Normal, I guess. I was under the impression that where ever your eyes are looking (gazing), the foveated rendering would come to the rescue.

But overall, fun, but perhaps not as good looking as I was hoping for, but still fun. I've been playing in 15-30 minute sessions to get used to the VR experience. Nausea kicks a bit in but I force myself to stop when I feel it creeping in.

Been meaning to look into this as well because there is FFR fixed fobbeated render and foveated with eye tracking (psvr2)

The only thing I know so far is it has to be programmed in the engine and game. So some won't.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Eye tracking foveated rendering can't overcome the distortion of fresnel lenses. At the extremes it will be blurry no matter what, hence why fixed foveated rendering is a thing.

Minsc

Gold Member
[/URL]

Awesome app and I use it all the time in quest. I'd like a few features brought over. One when your controllers are on the floor quest highlights them so you don't have to look. You just grab them in vr space.

I'm sure Sony will give us more functionality though FW updates.

I also want a true space exploration app. Where you can go check out all the planets and fly around. Many others but I'll stop there.

PSVR2 definitely shows you where your controllers are if you're not holding them, I've seen it done multiple ways too, sometimes it's a red circle and other times it's a lighter outline I think, but due to the circular shape and all the ways you can stick your hand through them picking them up properly blind if they've rolled around a little can be tricky.

Spukc

PSVR2 definitely shows you where your controllers are if you're not holding them, I've seen it done multiple ways too, sometimes it's a red circle and other times it's a lighter outline I think, but due to the circular shape and all the ways you can stick your hand through them picking them up properly blind if they've rolled around a little can be tricky.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky

Not actual titles as such but more combat puzzlers in the style of res evil. Not necessarily horror But more wandering around discovering stuff, solving puzzles for progression, mobs popping up and so on. I used to be a huge text adventure fan back in the day. I’d love a vr adventure like Level 9’s Snowball. Or infocom titles maybe with added combat.

Also psvr2 needs to support YT/Vimeo vr stuff.

Last edited:

Hyperbole much? The screen is very clear. If yopu expected it to look like a c9, that's on you.
How do you all like the included earbuds?
Reviewers say they are decent but I find them extremely bad. Like the worst earbuds I've ever had.
Am I doing something wrong? I've tried all the fits that are included but none of them fit well. Maybe that's the reason?
I find the sound very tinny and sharp. No bass at all, not even a little bit.

For those that have the Quest 2, do you like them better than the build in audio form the Quest?
I use my pulse 3d headset. I tried those buds and hated them.

Not actual titles as such but more combat puzzlers in the style of res evil. Not necessarily horror But more wandering around discovering stuff, solving puzzles for progression, mobs popping up and so on. I used to be a huge text adventure fan back in the day. I’d love a vr adventure like Level 9’s Snowball. Or infocom maybe with added combat.

Also psvr2 needs to support YT/Vimeo vr stuff.
Also, an old school dungeon crawler. I want to literally explore the dungeons of my youth in the late 80's. Nethack! Wizardry! Sword of Vermillion!

Last edited:

MastAndo

Reviewers say they are decent but I find them extremely bad. Like the worst earbuds I've ever had.
Am I doing something wrong? I've tried all the fits that are included but none of them fit well. Maybe that's the reason?

For those that have the Quest 2, do you like them better than the build in audio form the Quest?
If you're not getting a seal, they're going to sound awful. When you put them in with no sound on, you should be getting a sensation that some outside noise is being blocked out, like you're plugging your ears. It's possible the included silicon tips don't fit you. I get a pretty good fit (not the best) and they sound decent to me. It's not a lot of bass and I've certainly heard better, but they definitely get the job done.

AddiF

Just tried Gran Turismo. Very cool. It feels weird to have a life sized car in front of you. Wish I could mess with it a bit with the VR controllers. The aberrations and screendoor effects along with muted brightness and colors disappointed me a bit but that's just how the VR2 is. It still felt really cool!

Junped into a quick race in a Miata (recommended by PD) and man in felt super awesome yet I wanted to barf within 30nseconds haha. I don't recommend immediately looking around at full speed like an idiot haha

Now, Pavlov... is it online only?

Haint

IEM's are entirely dependent on the seal, without it you hear no bass. Thats why even $5 ones include multiple tip sizes, they're useless without a seal. So you've definitely failed at the insertion step, or are twisting the cable in some way that tension is pulling them out your ears.

Whitecrow

Banned
Just tried Gran Turismo. Very cool. It feels weird to have a life sized car in front of you. Wish I could mess with it a bit with the VR controllers. The aberrations and screendoor effects along with muted brightness and colors disappointed me a bit but that's just how the VR2 is. It still felt really cool!

Junped into a quick race in a Miata (recommended by PD) and man in felt super awesome yet I wanted to barf within 30nseconds haha. I don't recommend immediately looking around at full speed like an idiot haha

Now, Pavlov... is it online only?
no t has an offline mode, which I just tried...

WOW fucking best gaming experience ever. This is the shit.

Top Bottom