• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Bartski

Gold Member
How bad is VR climbing for people that have "issues" with heights?
pretty bad I guess, I mean this is the biggest hook of this game - play on fear of heights. Mechanically it's very simplistic, you're safe at all times and can't really fall as long as you hold a trigger, it's just the illusion makes it feel like a "challenge" climbing stuff and it works, also hits ear labyrinth way harder in standing mode

MastAndo

How bad is VR climbing for people that have "issues" with heights?
I have a huge fear of heights, and surprisingly that part of Horizon doesn't bother me much. The uneasiness is there for sure, but it's almost enjoyable knowing you're kinda facing fears in a safe way.

As a VR noob, my problem with it and games like this, is that when I move around, my body feels like it's swaying or being pushed while on roller skates. I feel like my balance in real life is about to give and it's kind of unpleasant. So yeah, I've been playing almost exclusively seated for the time being.

TLZ

Banned
Just got mine after giving in to the hype around gran turismo. Holy hell. Getting in that driver seat for the first time was pretty amazing. The immersion is off the charts. I found myself just parking on the side of grand valley just to check everything out. Then a race at spa in gr3 cars… going up radillion actually gave my stomach a lurch like if I were actually changing elevation. Insane.

This is the coolest shit I’ve experienced in a video game since I tugged on Mario’s nose on the super Mario 64 start screen.
I know right? Awesome huh?

Crayon

More gt7. I can definitely see the graphical downgrade but it's smartly applied and the only bit that's at all intrusive is some late popin on details and shadows. The can probably touch that one up. It's looks fantastic overall and close enough to the setting on the flat version that it doesn't matter when the whole experience is being transformed this way.

Ah I hear a lot about how you have to get a wheel, but no thanks. Sitting here reclined with my feet up, holding almost still the controller with those haptics. Tipping my head a bit to in to look past the pillar while I'm slipping this beautiful porker of a car all lazy around turns. I feel like my body is melting lol. It's dopemine.

Crayon

I have a huge fear of heights, and surprisingly that part of Horizon doesn't bother me much. The uneasiness is there for sure, but it's almost enjoyable knowing you're kinda facing fears in a safe way.

As a VR noob, my problem with it and games like this, is that when I move around, my body feels like it's swaying or being pushed while on roller skates. I feel like my balance in real life is about to give and it's kind of unpleasant. So yeah, I've been playing almost exclusively seated for the time being.

Loosing balance is a b. Try spreading your feet out a bit more like you are doing a sport if you are getting that. Should get used to it and be able to stand normally after a bit. At an least for slower games. I'm constantly keeping a wide stance in Pavlov.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
More gt7. I can definitely see the graphical downgrade but it's smartly applied and the only bit that's at all intrusive is some late popin on details and shadows. The can probably touch that one up. It's looks fantastic overall and close enough to the setting on the flat version that it doesn't matter when the whole experience is being transformed this way.

Ah I hear a lot about how you have to get a wheel, but no thanks. Sitting here reclined with my feet up, holding almost still the controller with those haptics. Tipping my head a bit to in to look past the pillar while I'm slipping this beautiful porker of a car all lazy around turns. I feel like my body is melting lol. It's dopemine.

Do you use the DualShock motion controls or standard controls for GT7?

Rudius

PSVR2 is asking to turn on TV every time.

I did the setup, played many games yesterday and today, but when I turn the PS5 and PSVR2 it asks me to take it off and turn on the TV screen. After I do that it lets me proceed and I can turn off the TV.

Here is a picture of the issue.

xFxkDZg.jpg
Someone posted a solution: use the remote play app to turn the PS5 on a single time. For some weird reason it no longer asks for the TV every time.

Fixed it for me!

Crayon

Do you use the DualShock motion controls or standard controls for GT7?

I can use either depending on my mood. I've even played a fair bit with the buttons and dpad lol. I was planning to use the motion controls here but I think I'm too tucked in so I'm using sticks for steering and throttle.

sachos

It still requires a combination of head position and eyeball position, is that right?
From what i've read due to the type of lenses PSVR2 uses the edge clarity is not as good as the center clarity and foveated rendering can't fix that, thats why you need to move your head while looking to keep what you want to look around the center of the screen.

sachos

It's obviously because the VR is so good that the brain is fooled, even though you know it's "fake", but still some synapses say's it's real.
Is it only me that's experienced this? I've never heard anyone talk about it, so i'm actually curious to know...
I think this is called VR dissociation and yeah it happens to other people. Now imagine when these headsets keep getting better to the point you can no longer notice the difference between a screen and reality independently of graphic style, its going to be sick.

Crayon

From what i've read due to the type of lenses PSVR2 uses the edge clarity is not as good as the center clarity and foveated rendering can't fix that, thats why you need to move your head while looking to keep what you want to look around the center of the screen.

It's as much a general fov thing. Q2 is 90, PSVR1 is 100, PSVR2 is 110. That makes psvr2 look good but in the scheme of things it is not a lot.

Easy fix:

2018-12-29.gif

But seriously index does 130. So even though it's fresnel lenses, the edge is well further out there.

I hope the next gen or two they are able to solve vergence accommodation conflict. It's the one thing that keeps throwing me off in COTM. Some people's eyes seem to be able to adjust to it but mine haven't yet. It makes nearby objects look out of focus, but you can tell its sharp as you see it clear when you look at a mid distance object and move your hand in front of your face (although weird as your brain can't figure out where the object should be).

It's more immersion breaking for distant objects for me though, the scenery in Horizon looks like a 2d sky box. So I don't get that same sense of awe looking out from the peak of a climb.

Still great headset overall, the colours alone make this way better than quest 2 with PC.

Okay, GT7.

So I got everything all perfect with the lenses just wiped off and my water at hand and got properly lit and all that. Then went to readjust the 3d audio for different headphones, play with the brightness, blah blah little ocd about it.

I boot the game and now I have to choose a car and a race. I'm going for an arcade race on deep forest with a stock 300ZX.

No bgm, I never play like that. I've changed the steering to stick as I now realize the place I've chosen to sit does not leave me able to use the motion control right. At least I don't think so.

The rolling start cut scene is still on a 2d cinema screen but then it cuts to in the car. It looks great, but I am not shocked or having any particular revelation. I've played plenty of dirt rally and wipeout in vr. I know what this is basically about. This GT7 is exquisite sure, but that's to be expected. My expectations are met but I am not astonished. I'm being very level headed about this. I am proud of myself.

Half a lap later we're turning up the g-out into the half tunnel and I'm getting... emotional lol.

My god.
It's just so fucking awesome. I can't even imagine playing with pedals and a racing wheel. I got a g29 but can't set it up yet because I'm finishing my basement and don't have any space in the current room where the psvr 2 is. Mind blowing

Gamerguy84

I'm definitely
It's just so fucking awesome. I can't even imagine playing with pedals and a racing wheel. I got a g29 but can't set it up yet because I'm finishing my basement and don't have any space in the current room where the psvr 2 is. Mind blowing
I've got an older T150 but I guess it's better than no wheel. I have to pull it out and set it up. It's in storage.

As much as I like GT7 it's safe to say it's worth doing that because I'm going to be playing. GT7 is such a magical game.

Crayon

Anyway. This set brings out the fun of this game in such an amazing way. It's like the game is freed and you can feel the car so much better. GT is already so good at communicating the feel and idiosyncrasies of a car on flat and in vr it's almost overwhelming. Like, spine-tingling.

So yeah I was in the mood to really feel a car inside and out lol so I went the the classifieds and there it was. A Tuscan Speed 6. Take it to an arcade race on Mt Panorama at night.

Downhilling this hairy beast behind an M3 and an RX7 with their brake lights on fire and the cockpit filled with light from behind.

0*YvEW5jEht3T3Z-t5.

Hawk269

I tried smooth turn in horizon and re8 and it was insta barf for me (not really but yeah I started feeling shitty)
I am on the opposite side of the spectrum, mainly because i have played a ton of VR going back a few years. I am at the point where if a game only has step turning, I will not buy it. To me games MUST INCLUDE smooth turn or it is a no buy for me. But I get it. When I first started in VR it was a no go, but after a bit I started to get my VR legs and now I cannot play a game that does not have smooth turn.

Hawk269

The counterweight idea is something I did with my old Oculus Rift CV1 - worked a treat and kept the headset from slipping - similar to this:

I have this slipping issue with the PSVR2 until I turn the dial all the way but that is uncomfortable. May give the counterweight idea a go (I used car wheel alignment weights in my CV1 - thinner than batteries and more granular weights than batteries).

As someone who has used VR since 2016 the snap vs smooth turning discussion is interesting. I hate smooth turning - really makes me feel queasy so I use both snap turning and natural turning. It can make the cable kink but using both methods minimises that.

I may have too look into something like this. The BIGGEST issue I have is that in order to get into the sweet spot the headset puts too much weight and rests on my nose causing my sinus to kick in. When I put the headset on, for the first few minutes if that, it is perfect but the back of the strap goes up and then the weight is on my nose. For me it keeps slipping in the back. I have it pretty low on the back of my head, but no matter what after a minute or it slides up and puts preasure on my nose.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I am on the opposite side of the spectrum, mainly because i have played a ton of VR going back a few years. I am at the point where if a game only has step turning, I will not buy it. To me games MUST INCLUDE smooth turn or it is a no buy for me. But I get it. When I first started in VR it was a no go, but after a bit I started to get my VR legs and now I cannot play a game that does not have smooth turn.

Do you turn up the smooth turning speed to max like what was suggested?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Well after spending some good time in a few games.

Honestly if you have never played Moss, get this bundle, I don't think you can get the original separately for PSVR2 but holy crap this game makes me smile. Trailers really don't do it justice, some of the best depth of field use in a game. Well worth the relatively low entry price.

Last edited:

Crayon

Hey trying to load nurburgring either sp or mp crashes my ps5!

edit: repeatable 3 times, fixed by moving game from added m.2 drive to system ssd hmmm......

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Honestly if you have never played Moss, get this bundle, I don't think you can get the original separately for PSVR2 but holy crap this game makes me smile. Trailers really don't do it justice, some of the best depth of field use in a game. Well worth the relatively low entry price.
I feel like buying it just to compare. I have moss on PSVR but don't own the new one. Maybe I can find a YT video. Hoping it gets a free upgrade.

Back to GT I'm sure when I'm old and my mind starts going ill think I used to be a race car driver because of how awesome this game is.

Hawk269

Do you turn up the smooth turning speed to max like what was suggested?
Depends on the game. At max some games turns way too fast. I like it to where when I turn left/right I don't want it flying left or right. Like in any flatscreen game, when I turn left or right I like to be quick but not super quick. So for me I go game by game when tuning it. But once you get use to smooth turning, you will find go back to the other way is going to be odd and not feel right.

FunkMiller

Beardo is a huge VR vet. Here are his thoughts on GT7

I'd be interested in hearing from VR racing sim vets on how good this is. I get the sense of awe for those that have never raced in VR before, but is the PSVR2 a leap up again from what you can get on PCVR with a Quest 2 and Assetto Corsa maxed out?

Also, yer man here needs to learn how to use the sequential paddle shift. Much closer to modern racing cars than that cumbersome, separate gear knob.

Last edited:

Hawk269

I was able to spend a little time in Townsmen VR yesterday and if you like these types of games it is great. Visual's alone are just fantastic. It took me a bit to get use the controls but so far it is a great little game.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
People recommending that people get their eyes tested would make sense if everything was blurry all the time, not just when I have the VR headset on.

MastAndo

[/URL]

I posted something similar earlier. I was on the fence, but I I ended up purchasing the bundle and I've had reactions to this game that I just never had in gaming ever. Just smiling from ear to ear watching Quill scurry across this tiny little world. Aesthetically, this is my favorite VR game, hands-down. GT7 and Horizon might be more impressive overall, but I'm just finding the art design and animation in this one to be off the charts, especially when presented in VR.

I'm almost done with the first one and I'm finding the combat to be pretty surprisingly satisfying too. I would love to see something similar to A Link to the Past (or Link's Awakening on Switch) done in the same style.

It's more puzzle-centric than I had hoped, but that's a personal preference thing. If this was a regular flat screen game I probably would have dropped it since I'm not really a puzzle guy, but in VR, it's all so captivating. I'm compelled to assist this little guy on her adventure. It's all just oozing charm.

I'm looking forward to see what Book 2 has in store. Just a tremendous job by the devs;

RabO9ie.gif

trikster40

Is there a workaround for games that need room scale? My office is maybe 5x6 but not big enough to even start a room scale game.

I loved Job/Vacation Simulator on PSVR1 but can’t even start it on PSVR2 with the room scale requirement

Power Pro

Really wish Sony at least prioritized some of their own games for this thing to be upgraded from PSVR1...Everybody's Golf VR was sooo good, and it's no where to be seen on here. Same with VR2 versions of stuff like Farpoint, or Wipeout.

I am so interested in getting this thing, but it's so hard to justify the price when I practically have to start a whole new library, and it's missing what I would want to play on it. Think the VR1 game I own that's nice enough to give me a VR2 version is Job Simulator, and that's not really something I care to play again.

Romulus

I'd be interested in hearing from VR racing sim vets on how good this is. I get the sense of awe for those that have never raced in VR before, but is the PSVR2 a leap up again from what you can get on PCVR with a Quest 2 and Assetto Corsa maxed out?

Also, yer man here needs to learn how to use the sequential paddle shift. Much closer to modern racing cars than that cumbersome, separate gear knob.

I wouldn't call myself a vet but I've got plenty of hours in Iracing and AC. I have a Quest 2 and 2070S. So not maxed out for sure but GT7 is definitely a step up. Not insanely, but instantly noticeable. The other thing is that first party Sony polish. Sogood.gif. Nothing on PC compares, simcade or full sims.

Last edited:
GT7: I don't like how we are flipping back and forth from a vr view to a cinema view, but i do like how the games switches back and forth seamlessly when you take the set on and off.
Yeah, I took off the headset and put it on its stand to move over to the couch. I picked up my dualsense edge, pressed the PS button, turned off the headset and it jumped seamlessly over to 2d mode. It was awesome.

I think it would have been even more seamless if I turned off the headset before taking it off

Minsc

Gold Member
3rd session done with the device, by far the most impressive one yet. Hardware feels better each time. Started with RE8, made it to the snow village, the detail in that game is something else. Crazy how a thing like a rat running out of a cabinet can make you jump. I think the biggest difference between RE4 and RE8 for me feels like in RE4 you're meant to overcome the enemies, and in RE8 you're sorta just meant to be their food and they have their way with you ever other scene. Enemies in RE4 go down in a few hits, while in RE8 they take a dozen bullets to drop.

Then I tried Puzzling Places, such a nice way to wind down after RE8 haha. Totally calm and also quite a looker, you really get a ton of content in that game, I did a 25 piece puzzle to start then a 100 piece partially, but both were hard in their own ways. I felt like the 25 piece one had more thought involved while the 100 piece one I was going at it more like a traditional puzzle matching up patterns and colors instead of trying to put together bigger parts of a building.

Wrapped it up with a little more Horizon. To me that game still impresses me the most, even more so than RE8. The detail of the people in Horizon is another level beyond RE8, which already is quite good. It's so much less scary too, so that's a nice plus for me.

Gamerguy84

I
Really wish Sony at least prioritized some of their own games for this thing to be upgraded from PSVR1...Everybody's Golf VR was sooo good, and it's no where to be seen on here. Same with VR2 versions of stuff like Farpoint, or Wipeout.

I am so interested in getting this thing, but it's so hard to justify the price when I practically have to start a whole new library, and it's missing what I would want to play on it. Think the VR1 game I own that's nice enough to give me a VR2 version is Job Simulator, and that's not really something I care to play again.

I think most of those answers are on this page.

Lots of games I haven't heard of that is coming or speculated on there.

Gamerguy84

Is there a workaround for games that need room scale? My office is maybe 5x6 but not big enough to even start a room scale game.

I loved Job/Vacation Simulator on PSVR1 but can’t even start it on PSVR2 with the room scale requirement

Yes there are 3 different play styles. In one of the menus you select you will play standing/sit down. That makes your play area a lot smaller and more manageable for those who are limited.

Room scale is for games with lots of movements

Crayon

The convenience to move around without being hound to that camera. That's the biggest upgrade from psvr1 for me.

I'm cozy on the couch over here playing gt. It finally feels like I'm playing a game 25 years since the original. Feels like the game is freed from the TV playing in VR. It's so much more natural. I'm playing the new grand valley track and it's so windy. This would be so shitty is I couldn't be looking across these tight turns to scope the unfamiliar track. This is so relaxing.

Well I have had a full weekend on the PSVR2 and overall I am very impressed with VR and many of the games I played which provided a very immersive experience, even music rhythm games like Thumper and Rez Infinite which have very stylised visuals.

I was initially underwhelmed by the quality of the OLED screens in the headset. The fact is that these do not look as vibrant in terms of colours or as sharp as my 55" OLED TV and no matter how much I tried to adjust the headset I could not eliminate the 'fuzzy' grainy look (mura?) that I could see in pretty much every game. Also, colours looked kind of drab, especially in games like Horizon: Call of the Mountain and Gran Turimso 7, the latter of which I also played on my TV for comparison. The TV just looked way better in terms of image quality and there were no visual compromises either (reduced LOD, pop in and shadows drawing in on trees that you see with the headset). Text can noticeable fizzling around the edges, e.g. in Gran Turismo 7 with the text above the cars during a race, and I can see the graininess when there are large areas of flat or samey colours. I actually started to wonder if my headset might be defective then I loaded up the Cosmonious High demo...

Now this game just blew me away with its colours and sharpness. I think this may be a native resolution rendered game because I saw little to no 'fuzzy' effect and the colours and brightness were literally eye-popping. It actually made me gasp in surprise when it looked up. I spent 5-10 minutes looking in awe at the visuals and never really got to play the game. The art style is very simplistic, which no doubt helps keep the rendering load low, and looks like Splatoon on the Switch but it still impressed me how immersive it still managed to be. I found this confusing to play as it loaded up to the actual game with no menu that I was able to access so I could not adjust the controllers (movement was via teleporting which I personally dislike as it is disorientating) and missed the initial tutorial prompt as I was adjusting the headset etc. In fact, this is an issue I have with a few of the demos that seem to just start in the game, i.e. no initial main menu, and if I miss the opening tutorial prompt then it leaves me confused as to what I am supposed to do.

I also tried the sound with the Pulse headphones and that worked fine, as expected. However, I was disappointed with the quality of the audio output to my 5.1 speakers which is noticeably quieter than normal PS5 games because it doesn't output as 5.1 surround sound but stereo LPCM which my speakers only output to three speakers, including the front centre one. This means that the audio is far quieter to the point where I could barely hear it. I can still switch to my TV speakers, which are stereo and much lounder, but I did not test this. The only audio output option without the headphones is from the PSVR2 headset which is disappointing. I personally don't like to wear headphones while playing VR games as it makes the experience more uncomfortable as well as hotter due to the amount of equipment on my head. I really hope that Sony can update the software so that it can support normal 5.1 output as well. Personally, having sound all around me from surround sound speakers is more immersive than having it pumped into my two ears but I accept that might not be the case for everyone.

Overall, I think PSVR2 is a very worthwhile add-on for the PS5, if you can afford it, but there are some quirks and issues with the experience. The audio is something I feel can be improved. However, the grainy look from games rendered sub-natively is something that is presumably going to be common to most games except for those few that render natively and have simpler visuals. The more impressive a game is visually then the more grainy/fuzzy it will look in the headset. This is something true of normal PS5 as well but you are sat much further away from the screen and the extra vibrancy and sharpness of the native 4K panel makes this less noticeable than on a VR headset.

Last edited:

demigod

I was going to wait until Black Friday hoping for cheaper price but i bit once i heard RE4 will have VR. My son saw the Swordsman trailer and wanted the game so i bought it for him. He said it’s pretty fun.

Anyone using an extension for the wire? I’m scared it’ll yank my ps5 down from shelf.

Got through the infamous haunted house part of RE8 in VR. Even though I've already went through it several times in 2D last year, it still managed to creep me out and successfully jump scare me a few times. If this is your first time playing RE8, you're in for one hell of a treat playing it in VR.

But anyways, I ran out of ammo earlier (playing on Hardcore so enemies are a bit bullet spongey), so I had to resort to using my shotgun's bayonet in one hand and my knife in the other, slashing wildly to kill enemies lol

Top Bottom