• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

saintjules

Gold Member
I was going to wait until Black Friday hoping for cheaper price but i bit once i heard RE4 will have VR. My son saw the Swordsman trailer and wanted the game so i bought it for him. He said it’s pretty fun.

Anyone using an extension for the wire? I’m scared it’ll yank my ps5 down from shelf.

I'd highly doubt a price drop by Black Friday. Maybe in another year or two or if sales are poor?

I saw someone on here promoting one of those extension USB C cables. But I did a quick search on reddit.

SRTtoZ

I finally tried GT7. I bought the 25th anniversary edition on release but it was in my backlog and then I was saving it for VR. Holy shit. No wheel or anything but it doesn't matter. Driving is so much more fun because you get actual real depth perception like driving a real car. You can judge the distance so much better and it just changes the game. They've done a fantastic job with the haptics in the game too.

Crayon

Over my VR weekend I bought a thousand games and played four. Horizon is neat. Maybe good. Jury is out really. I was frustrated with how looking way up is a weakness of this headsets design, requiring a grab of the scope and giving it a click every time I start and stop climbing. When I went back for a minute I found I didn't mind to that as much but obviously far from ideal. NMS was frustrating how ragged it looked! I want to play but I'm compelled to wait till they clean it up.

GT and Pavlov are the winners. More than winners. They are both totally brilliant. Gt shows off a game that is mechanically identical to the flat version but plays a million times better in VR. Pavlov is a game whose mechanics are completely impossible on a controller or kb/m.

And still so many games to try. I love my psvr2. :>

Last edited:
Well I have had a full weekend on the PSVR2 and overall I am very impressed with VR and many of the games I played which provided a very immersive experience, even music rhythm games like Thumper and Rez Infinite which have very stylised visuals.

I was initially underwhelmed by the quality of the OLED screens in the headset. The fact is that these do not look as vibrant in terms of colours or as sharp as my 55" OLED TV and no matter how much I tried to adjust the headset I could not eliminate the 'fuzzy' grainy look (mura?) that I could see in pretty much every game. Also, colours looked kind of drab, especially in games like Horizon: Call of the Mountain and Gran Turimso 7, the latter of which I also played on my TV for comparison. The TV just looked way better in terms of image quality and there were no visual compromises either (reduced LOD, pop in and shadows drawing in on trees that you see with the headset). Text can noticeable fizzling around the edges, e.g. in Gran Turismo 7 with the text above the cars during a race, and I can see the graininess when there are large areas of flat or samey colours. I actually started to wonder if my headset might be defective then I loaded up the Cosmonious High demo...

Now this game just blew me away with its colours and sharpness. I think this may be a native resolution rendered game because I saw little to no 'fuzzy' effect and the colours and brightness were literally eye-popping. It actually made me gasp in surprise when it looked up. I spent 5-10 minutes looking in awe at the visuals and never really got to play the game. The art style is very simplistic, which no doubt helps keep the rendering load low, and looks like Splatoon on the Switch but it still impressed me how immersive it still managed to be. I found this confusing to play as it loaded up to the actual game with no menu that I was able to access so I could not adjust the controllers (movement was via teleporting which I personally dislike as it is disorientating) and missed the initial tutorial prompt as I was adjusting the headset etc. In fact, this is an issue I have with a few of the demos that seem to just start in the game, i.e. no initial main menu, and if I miss the opening tutorial prompt then it leaves me confused as to what I am supposed to do.

I also tried the sound with the Pulse headphones and that worked fine, as expected. However, I was disappointed with the quality of the audio output to my 5.1 speakers which is noticeably quieter than normal PS5 games because it doesn't output as 5.1 surround sound but stereo LPCM which my speakers only output to three speakers, including the front centre one. This means that the audio is far quieter to the point where I could barely hear it. I can still switch to my TV speakers, which are stereo and much lounder, but I did not test this. The only audio output option without the headphones is from the PSVR2 headset which is disappointing. I personally don't like to wear headphones while playing VR games as it makes the experience more uncomfortable as well as hotter due to the amount of equipment on my head. I really hope that Sony can update the software so that it can support normal 5.1 output as well. Personally, having sound all around me from surround sound speakers is more immersive than having it pumped into my two ears but I accept that might not be the case for everyone.

Overall, I think PSVR2 is a very worthwhile add-on for the PS5, if you can afford it, but there are some quirks and issues with the experience. The audio is something I feel can be improved. However, the grainy look from games rendered sub-natively is something that is presumably going to be common to most games except for those few that render natively and have simpler visuals. The more impressive a game is visually then the more grainy/fuzzy it will look in the headset. This is something true of normal PS5 as well but you are sat much further away from the screen and the extra vibrancy and sharpness of the native 4K panel makes this less noticeable than on a VR headset.
I ended up buying Cosm high after play the demo, it's so colorful and it's actually fun!

Ar¢tos

Still nobody here has played Garden of the Sea?
All i can find is a couple of very short impressions in reddit for PSVR2 ("my wife loves it"... Not very helpful).

k1m1d4n

So much love for Pavlov. I‘m tempted but I know I’ll hate online play as;
1. I’ll suck at it
2. I hate people ;-)
Sort of on the same boat, but already bought it. Just being able to mess with those guns is worth it. Changing clips, loading the guns, adding stuff to the guns, holding one hand, two hands... Amazing

k1m1d4n

Over my VR weekend I bought a thousand games and played four. Horizon is neat. Maybe good. Jury is our really. Iwas frustrated with how looking way up is a weakness of this headsets design, require a grab of the scope and giving it a click every time I start and stop climbing. When I went back for a minute I found I didn't mind to that as much but obviously far from ideal. NMS was frustrating ho ragged it looked! I want to play but I'm compelled to wait till they clean it up.

GT and Pavlov are the winners. More than winners. They are both totally brilliant. Gt shows off a game that is mechanically identical to the flat version but plays a million times better in VR. Pavlov is a game whose mechanics are completely impossible on a controller or kb/m.

And still so many games to try. I love my psvr2. :>
You made me buy a psvr2 and Pavlov from all the hype you've been spreading. I hope you take responsibility and clean up a spare room for me, once my wife kicks me out.
I only need space for a tv, a ps5, a psvr2, me and my pug.
Dog Reaction GIF

Even though the image is becoming a lot clearer for me, I still wanted to get my eyes tested for peace of mind. Unfortunately, there’s a 6-week backlog before I can get my test! They are still going through their backlog from covid. Before covid, I would have been able to get a test on the same day. Mental.

Oh well, I will keep up with my daily VR training regardless.

trikster40

Yes there are 3 different play styles. In one of the menus you select you will play standing/sit down. That makes your play area a lot smaller and more manageable for those who are limited.

Room scale is for games with lots of movements
I tried that with Job/Vacation simulator and it doesn’t matter if I pick sitting or standing, still tells me I have to have a 6x7 space because room scale is required, which is just odd because the PSVR1 versions didn’t.

I’ll get back in and fiddle with options. Maybe there something I’m overlooking.

Well after three days of use, I think I am now a VR convert with the PSVR2 being my first experience with the technology. I am mostly impressed by it, especially how immersive it truly is which is something you absolutely cannot get any sense of from watching someone demo it on YouTube. This is something you MUST experience for yourself.

As for PSVR2 itself, well I admit I am a little bit underwhelmed by the quality of the eye screens themselves, especially as they are OLED. I was expecting them to look as sharp and vibrant as my 55" LG B9 OLED TV but, in reality, the image for most games is akin to looking at a CRT closely. There is a very grainy look to the image, which is really obvious when viewing large areas of colour, with fizzling around white text - something I really noticed in Gran Turismo 7. It varies from game to game and I suspect this may be a result of most games being sub-natively rendered and upscaled. From a distance, you wouldn't notice this on a TV but, up close, in a headset it is much more obvious and hard not to notice in my opinion.

The one game that blew me away with its vibrant colours and overall crispness was the Cosmonious High demo which really showcases what the OLED screen can look like but often doesn't sadly. This has a Splatoon-style art style with bright vibrant colours, so much so that it actually made me gasp at how bright it was, and very sharp lines. I suspect this is because it rendered at native or close to native resolution which is why it looks so good. In comparison, the other games, even the ones which I thought would look colourful like Horizon: Call of the Mountain, have colours that look drained and flat. I think the mura effect is what is causing this.

Once I am immersed in a game then I forget about the mildy disappointing image quality though so it is not a deal breaker.

Last edited:

consoul

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Played a good few hours of GT7 last night, haven't played a proper racing game in years and bloody hell you can tell these guys love cars lol the actual racing is incredible in VR looking over your right shoulder and seeing the other driver right up close to you as you turn into a corner is insanely realistic, as is using the mirrors to judge where a car is behind you to block them in. I also love the way this game guides in complete newbies like me into the game as I was always put off by the GT series for being too hardcore for my liking but the whole menu thing and tutorials is great for introducing all the aspects in a fun and informative way, after a while I thought I'd check out to see how it looks in 2D and fuck me, can never go back to normal flatscreen racing again... Really tempted to buy myself a racing wheel and pedal combo now to complete the immersion.

Last note, the virtual showroom is an absolute stunner, spent a good time checking out various supercars but I cant figure out how to do a simple walk around mode, I want to stand up and walk around the cars but it's locked me into some low down mode when outside which is a bit of a pain, the interior cockpit view is incredible but I'd still like to see how these cars look standing up

Gamerguy84

Played a good few hours of GT7 last night, haven't played a proper racing game in years and bloody hell you can tell these guys love cars lol the actual racing is incredible in VR looking over your right shoulder and seeing the other driver right up close to you as you turn into a corner is insanely realistic, as is using the mirrors to judge where a car is behind you to block them in. I also love the way this game guides in complete newbies like me into the game as I was always put off by the GT series for being too hardcore for my liking but the whole menu thing and tutorials is great for introducing all the aspects in a fun and informative way, after a while I thought I'd check out to see how it looks in 2D and fuck me, can never go back to normal flatscreen racing again... Really tempted to buy myself a racing wheel and pedal combo now to complete the immersion.

Last note, the virtual showroom is an absolute stunner, spent a good time checking out various supercars but I cant figure out how to do a simple walk around mode, I want to stand up and walk around the cars but it's locked me into some low down mode when outside which is a bit of a pain, the interior cockpit view is incredible but I'd still like to see how these cars look standing up

Is virtual showroom same as "garage" I only did garage and was floored by every car I loaded. Speaking of loading things, that PS i/o system at work.

Here is something else if you haven't tried it. After a race is over and you collected your points go to replay and hit it. The scroll down 2 options under replay to "VR replay". You will watch the whole thing from different spectators points of view and its jaw-dropping.

I don't think you can walk around. You just use controls for height and angle as you move around 360 slowly.

I have enjoyed several games over the last few days but to me GT is next level. Even the PCVR guys think so.

Can't wait to see other games like wingman, ace combat, etc.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Is virtual showroom same as "garage" I only did garage and was floored by every car I loaded. Speaking of loading things, that PS i/o system at work.

Here is something else if you haven't tried it. After a race is over and you collected your points go to replay and hit it. The scroll down 2 options under replay to "VR replay". You will watch the whole thing from different spectators points of view and its jaw-dropping.

I don't think you can walk around. You just use controls for height and angle as you move around 360 slowly.

I have enjoyed several games over the last few days but to me GT is next level. Even the PCVR guys think so.

Can't wait to see other games like wingman, ace combat, etc.

Yeah the showroom just opened to me last night where I can go view all the super cars in the same stunning detail as my rather lacklustre garage, sitting in a fiat 500 ain't the same as a Lamborghini lol, that VR spectator sounds pretty cool, I just skipped out of that section as when I did watch a replay it was just on the big cinema screen mode.

I had a look in the tuning area of the autoshop as I had to tune a classic mini cooper for a race and noped out of the multitude of options lol I'll stick to banging in a few parts rather than get into the ins and outs of tweaking downforce etc.

I'm hoping there's a Toyoto Supra and 300ZX in the game to buy as those where 2 old cars I used to own and I'd love to sit in them again for the nostalgia feels

Gamerguy84

Yeah the showroom just opened to me last night where I can go view all the super cars in the same stunning detail as my rather lacklustre garage, sitting in a fiat 500 ain't the same as a Lamborghini lol, that VR spectator sounds pretty cool, I just skipped out of that section as when I did watch a replay it was just on the big cinema screen mode.

I had a look in the tuning area of the autoshop as I had to tune a classic mini cooper for a race and noped out of the multitude of options lol I'll stick to banging in a few parts rather than get into the ins and outs of tweaking downforce etc.

I'm hoping there's a Toyoto Supra and 300ZX in the game to buy as those where 2 old cars I used to own and I'd love to sit in them again for the nostalgia feels
Here's my Supra

VmbpI8y.jpg

SRTtoZ

I just spent an hour sitting in cars since I unlocked the new showroom. Damn damn are there some sexy ass cars that I want. Walking around a Cobra GT 350 and then sitting in it makes me want the GT500 so much. FUCK. Even the Lightning is so nice. Sat in some of my real cars like an old 07 350z I used to have. I mean the detail is incredible. Even the exhaust sounds are PERFECT.

Gamerguy84

I just spent an hour sitting in cars since I unlocked the new showroom. Damn damn are there some sexy ass cars that I want. Walking around a Cobra GT 350 and then sitting in it makes me want the GT500 so much. FUCK. Even the Lightning is so nice. Sat in some of my real cars like an old 07 350z I used to have. I mean the detail is incredible. Even the exhaust sounds are PERFECT.

Yea PD put a lot of effort in these cars. They made the game with VR in mind and the amount of detail is stunning.

dorkimoe

Reddit users have been supplying some great tips and other info. I didn't think much about the border option as I haven't had tracking issues. But I may turn it on regardless. I'd suggest checking these out.

gonna go through all these because my left lens has been blury

Haint

I hope the next gen or two they are able to solve vergence accommodation conflict. It's the one thing that keeps throwing me off in COTM. Some people's eyes seem to be able to adjust to it but mine haven't yet. It makes nearby objects look out of focus, but you can tell its sharp as you see it clear when you look at a mid distance object and move your hand in front of your face (although weird as your brain can't figure out where the object should be).

It's more immersion breaking for distant objects for me though, the scenery in Horizon looks like a 2d sky box. So I don't get that same sense of awe looking out from the peak of a climb.

Still great headset overall, the colours alone make this way better than quest 2 with PC.
I'm pretty sure the vistas in Horizon are 2D skyboxes.

DaveinAmaze

Neo Member

How do you unlock the full showroom? I was thinking it would be nice to checkout some of the supercars in VR that I don't have yet. Do you just have to progress through the cafe farther to unlock it?

schaft0620

I was going to wait until Black Friday hoping for cheaper price but i bit once i heard RE4 will have VR. My son saw the Swordsman trailer and wanted the game so i bought it for him. He said it’s pretty fun.

Anyone using an extension for the wire? I’m scared it’ll yank my ps5 down from shelf.

That cable is going to come unplugged long before it takes the PS5 with it.

XXL

It's crazy that within the next few weeks/months we are getting Switchback, Firewall Zero, Crossfire, Walking Dead 1 and 2.

Resident Evil 4 VR mode should be coming in the near future too!

I have so much to play currently (I'm having a great time) but it's crazy how many (larger) games are on there way in the near future.

This is the one of best launch window lineups of all time, in my opinion.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
It's crazy that within the next few weeks/months we are getting Switchback, Firewall Zero, Crossfire, Walking Dead 1 and 2.

I have so much to play currently (I'm having a great time) but it's crazy how many (larger) games are on there way in the near future.

Lots of great titles should be coming throughout the year. Just most games don't have much details yet.

Reactions: XXL

MastAndo

Which game has the best/most satisfying gunplay? I know Pavlov is popular but not really looking for multiplayer. I'm watching a few videos of Zombieland and it looks like a fun game if you're just looking to shoot stuff.

Last edited:

XXL

Which game has the best/most satisfying gunplay? I'm watching a few videos of Zombieland and it looks like a fun game if you're just looking to shoot stuff.
Pavlov by a wide margin. It is more a MP game though. This would be one of my top recommendations for pretty much anybody who has a PSVR 2, GT7 and RE8 included.

Zombieland and Pistol Whip are both really great. They're both on rails arcade style shooters.

Last edited:

Crayon

It is a fucking great lineup. I think it's somewhat obvious to consider a vr version of a whole game to be a bigger upgrade than a resolution and frame rate bump on a cross gen game. Most people ssaying the lineup is bad will poof dissapear if asked to apply the same standard to ps5 or even worse xbox.

SilentUser

Oh yeah, agreed. Such a fantastic launch window lineup! I have way too many games to play and those you listed are so interesting. Need some free me time lol

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Don't forget this gem,

Top Bottom