• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

XXL

Dave Chappelle Reaction GIF

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm confused by people's impression of the image quality.
Some are saying it's sharp and detailed and others saying it blurry.
So which is it?
I do have the original PSVR for reference.

Raonak

Banned
So which is it?
It's sharp, but also low resolution (compared to a TV), but also some games are not native res either, so that could be the problem.
Just keep your expectations in check.

But, it's a lot better than PSVR1 in every single way.

TGO

It's sharp, but also low resolution (compared to a TV), but also some games are not native res either, so that could be the problem.
Just keep your expectations in check.

But, it's a lot better than PSVR1 in every single way.
I'm obviously not expecting 4K detail of my Bravia, but what about 1080p?

Synless

So which is it?

Using RE8 and GT7 as examples:

It is not 4K, or even 1440p. I’ll fight people on that.

I have it in perfect settings for me and I can tell is lower resolution than the native games by quite a res drop.

Maybe 1080p or hovering above that but below 1440p.

I don’t recall what the actual specs are… but those games are roughly what I called out there.

Last edited:
So which is it?
It's very sharp but can still look blurry. I dont think he sweet spot is the issue. I think the focal point of the screens is different to other headsets and Veregence-Accomodation conflict is more pronounced.

For example I see most things very clear, but nearby objects look blurry. If I look at a clear object and move a nearby object in view it looks very sharp. But when my eyes try to focus based on the vergence it makes the accommodation of my eye blurry.

Some people say there eyes get used to it after a while and it's fine. But it will take time as most the time in real life your vergence and accommodation are linked by the distance of the object. In VR accommodation is fixed but vergence changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGO

TGO

It is not 4K, or even 1440p. I’ll fight people on that.

I have it in perfect settings for me and I can tell is lower resolution than the native games by quite a res drop.

Maybe 1080p or hovering above that but below 1440p.
That's disappointing, I thought video capture looked acceptable and good until I heard it looks worse then that.
I'm having second thoughts now..
Guess there's only one way to find out 😅

Last edited:

Techies

Still nobody here has played Garden of the Sea?
All i can find is a couple of very short impressions in reddit for PSVR2 ("my wife loves it"... Not very helpful).
Have it on PC and just ran it for the first time.

Graphics is clean, the characters are cute. In the start of the game you have to use a cultivator to prepare a small bit of ground, then drop a few seeds from a bottle (By using the trigger or it won't come out, can see few people getting stuck in the tutorial, unless I solved it too quickly and it actually gives a hint).

After which you must pick up watering can, fill it with water from the well (like dip it in for real) and water the plants. When it grows you give them to one of the cute characters and more of the level opens up.

I would say it's a farming/object find game thus far. Must collect a few items to build a bridge now for instance. All I can say the developers are pretty damn competent, I did my object throwing test, and they pretty much nailed it. I could consistently throw a rock as high and as far as I wanted too. Very, very few games in VR manage to nail that, that alone impressed me.

I can see why his wife would like this game.

Can just go with what people say about the steam version.

This and townsmen are one of those well done games, if they have a market or audience in VR, that's what were going to find out on PSVR2

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
That's disappointing, I thought video capture looked acceptable and good until I heard it looks worse then that.

The screen resolution should absolutely not be a deal breaker imo.

Once you're ingame and playing, you quickly forget about the screen.

You're not gonna get a better overall image in VR than the PSVR2.

In general, PSVR2 is not perfect, it has a bunch of tiny little flaws (like any device)... but the overall package is fantastic.

Last edited:
It's very sharp but can still look blurry. I dont think he sweet spot is the issue. I think the focal point of the screens is different to other headsets and Veregence-Accomodation conflict is more pronounced.

For example I see most things very clear, but nearby objects look blurry. If I look at a clear object and move a nearby object in view it looks very sharp. But when my eyes try to focus based on the vergence it makes the accommodation of my eye blurry.

Some people say there eyes get used to it after a while and it's fine. But it will take time as most the time in real life your vergence and accommodation are linked by the distance of the object. In VR accommodation is fixed but vergence changes.

To see the effects of accommodation in real life you close one eye. Then look at your hand and notice everything behind it is blurry then, without opening your other eye, focus on the background and notice your hand is blurry.

VR cannot account for this yet, but still uses vergence (the difference in image your left and right eye see) for the 3d effect.

Power Pro

cs4kfJj.jpg

I just got home with this, it was available locally from a facebook seller at retail cost, no scalping price, so I decided to just pull the trigger. I really want to play Resident Evil Village in VR, so that's why I ultimately couldn't resist.

So what else do you all mostly recommend? Is Horizon worth my time??? I still haven't played Forbidden West, so I'm a little concerned about story spoilers, is that a concern?

I only have Resident Evil Village, and No Man's Sky so far. I'm really considering getting the Kizuna Ai rhythm game, because I did play it on a Quest 2 before, and really thought it was fun. I'm also a weeb, so I'm a sucker for cute anime lady.

I was also eyeballing The Tale of Onogoro, but I don't know much about it.

Any recommendations in general though of like "You got a VR2, you need to get this". I'd appreciate it!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Finished horizon.
That was some cool fun mechanics.... way too much climbing (and I love uncharted) and mid combat.
Very underwhelming that you don't get to fight anything but robots in a circle.
It's a great VR pack in game though. Really good or that.

R6Rider

Gold Member
cs4kfJj.jpg

I just got home with this, it was available locally from a facebook seller at retail cost, no scalping price, so I decided to just pull the trigger. I really want to play Resident Evil Village in VR, so that's why I ultimately couldn't resist.

So what else do you all mostly recommend? Is Horizon worth my time??? I still haven't played Forbidden West, so I'm a little concerned about story spoilers, is that a concern?

I only have Resident Evil Village, and No Man's Sky so far. I'm really considering getting the Kizuna Ai rhythm game, because I did play it on a Quest 2 before, and really thought it was fun. I'm also a weeb, so I'm a sucker for cute anime lady.

Any recommendations in general though of like "You got a VR2, you need to get this". I'd appreciate it!
NIce!

There's a lot of great titles, but if I highly recommend Pavlov.

GT7 of course is recommended, but is far better to play with a wheel setup, so that would be additional costs. Could always go motion control route to start.

If you like jigsaw puzzles then get Puzzling Places. If you want a beautiful game to relax and play then I suggest Kayak VR: Mirage.

Want something from a different perspective? Give the Moss games a try.

Minsc

Gold Member

In Horizon I'm constantly surprised at how much detail I can see in the nearby textures and object, like the cliff sides and paint and detail on anything you hold up. But I think I get what you're saying, when I try to aim in RE sometimes you see double images right down the middle unless you close one eye. I guess then it's maybe because you're holding something close yet also focusing further away? But I definitely think it has great detail in objects up close.

And if you use a game like Demeo or Puzzling Places as a resolution test, particularly Demeo, you'll see how clear the headset can get at native resolution. I haven't played Demeo, but Puzzling Places definitely looked sharp. Then again the lower-res look of Horizon and RE8 is fine with me, as they're super-super detailed, so I quickly forgot about resolution when I'm in those games just because they're such a joy to experience, same with GT7.

But hopefully an eventual PS5 Pro or PS6 allows for all these games to see resolution and framerate upgrades.

cs4kfJj.jpg

I feel like depending on your disposable income Horizon is a great showpiece for how realistic you can get people and environments. There's a demo too, I dunno if that covers up to and beyond Aloy, but I haven't played the initial games yet either and I don't feel like I'm totally lost, and I've seen enough screenshots to recognize most of the main elements. If you treat it more like an experience to play around in than a game to complete as fast as possible, you'll definitely have a better time, otherwise I think the climbing gets to be a lot if you just run through it one area to the next.

Last edited:

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
Still confused as to whether I should expect more from the psvr2.
I’m pretty happy with the display: I’ve got no chromatic aberration, text on system pop ups is eminently readable and no light spill/flaring on the letters, images overall are completely readable but everything has a softness/blurriness to it. Don’t even see much mura tbh. I wouldn’t say it looks 1080p as someone said. I’m assuming I shouldn’t expect pin sharpness but after reading people’s post I’m wondering if I can indeed get it better.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Still confused as to whether I should expect more from the psvr2.
I’m pretty happy with the display: I’ve got no chromatic aberration, text on system pop ups is eminently readable and no light spill/flaring on the letters, images overall are completely readable but everything has a softness/blurriness to it. Don’t even see much mura tbh. I wouldn’t say it looks 1080p as someone said. I’m assuming I shouldn’t expect pin sharpness but after reading people’s post I’m wondering if I can indeed get it better.
I am very disappointed with fit/comfort and to a degree with lenses since the glare is still there and sweets spot is small

Crayon

My ipd setting is on the narrow side. I tried pushing it a little out on the alignment screen so that my eys were not dead-center in the circles. Just a touch to make a little more room for my nose. It worked fine and I sqeezed a little fov out of it. I was also able to slid the scope a little closer, which is often good.

Power Pro

NIce!

There's a lot of great titles, but if I highly recommend Pavlov.

GT7 of course is recommended, but is far better to play with a wheel setup, so that would be additional costs. Could always go motion control route to start.

If you like jigsaw puzzles then get Puzzling Places. If you want a beautiful game to relax and play then I suggest Kayak VR: Mirage.

Want something from a different perspective? Give the Moss games a try.
I'm not really a racing person. Maybe if i was, and I wanted to invest in a wheel setup, I'd be totally down, but that's another expense I don't think I'm gonna set up.

The other 2 sound intriguing, but I'm not sure I'd want to take a chance at their prices. Might wishlist and wait for sale on those.
Pavlov, Kayak VR, Moss 1/2, Pistol Whip and Zombieland.
Gotta say even though Pavlov sounds great for those who would like it, I ain't interested in multiplayer.

Moss 1/2 sound cool, I tried the first one on PSVR1 before, but always thought it was way too blurry looking, so I am definitely considering getting these PSVR2 versions if they are better.

I see Pistol Whip mentioned, but I just straight up don't know what it is.

ABnormal

Guess there's only one way to find out 😅
The video capture is literally one of the two rendered frames. That's the actual aspect of what is projected on one of the eyes. Whoever says otherways is either ignorant or dumb. The other frame is displayed at the same time on the other eye, and the visual system fuses the two frames in one single perception, as it does usually, The perceived detail is the combination of the two frames (which is more than the single eye frame).

Last edited:

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
So which is it?
Depends on the game, and headset position etc.

Mine is dialled in now, I know exactly how to position the headset and have no issues with image quality, unless it's the game itself (NMS for example)

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
I am very disappointed with fit/comfort and to a degree with lenses since the glare is still there and sweets spot is small
FWIW Fit and comfort is fine for me.
I know the in game IQ won’t rival the sharpness of the videos of the games but maybe I just havent quite nailed the sweet spot.

Last edited:
In Horizon I'm constantly surprised at how much detail I can see in the nearby textures and object, like the cliff sides and paint and detail on anything you hold up. But I think I get what you're saying, when I try to aim in RE sometimes you see double images right down the middle unless you close one eye. I guess then it's maybe because you're holding something close yet also focusing further away? But I definitely think it has great detail in objects up close.

And if you use a game like Demeo or Puzzling Places as a resolution test, particularly Demeo, you'll see how clear the headset can get at native resolution. I haven't played Demeo, but Puzzling Places definitely looked sharp. Then again the lower-res look of Horizon and RE8 is fine with me, as they're super-super detailed, so I quickly forgot about resolution when I'm in those games just because they're such a joy to experience, same with GT7.

But hopefully an eventual PS5 Pro or PS6 allows for all these games to see resolution and framerate upgrades.

I feel like depending on your disposable income Horizon is a great showpiece for how realistic you can get people and environments. There's a demo too, I dunno if that covers up to and beyond Aloy, but I haven't played the initial games yet either and I don't feel like I'm totally lost, and I've seen enough screenshots to recognize most of the main elements. If you treat it more like an experience to play around in than a game to complete as fast as possible, you'll definitely have a better time, otherwise I think the climbing gets to be a lot if you just run through it one area to the next.
Yeah exactly, I can see details close up are also crazy sharp if I can trick my eye to focus on it in the way I mentioned and mid distance objects are always sharp. I'm hoping that with enough playtime my eyes will learn to focus separately to vergence focus, and I'll get that "click" moment others have mentioned.

Synless

cs4kfJj.jpg

Bro, I have the same slime in my game room. High Five!

Crayon

The more intesive games are going to be sub-native res. Check a simple game to see full res.

A hi res panel on a headset is not just to render a game sharper. It decreases screen-door effect. That's why those pimax headsets have super hi res displays. It cleans up the image a lot even if you aren't pushing all the pixels.

Last edited:

XXL

I'm not really a racing person. Maybe if i was, and I wanted to invest in a wheel setup, I'd be totally down, but that's another expense I don't think I'm gonna set up.

The other 2 sound intriguing, but I'm not sure I'd want to take a chance at their prices. Might wishlist and wait for sale on those.

Gotta say even though Pavlov sounds great for those who would like it, I ain't interested in multiplayer.

Moss 1/2 sound cool, I tried the first one on PSVR1 before, but always thought it was way too blurry looking, so I am definitely considering getting these PSVR2 versions if they are better.

I see Pistol Whip mentioned, but I just straight up don't know what it is.
Pistol Whip is a John Wick inspired arcade style rail shooter.

Power Pro

Bro, I have the same slime in my game room. High Five!
Sweet :) Slimes and Dragon Quest is great. Actually bought mine in the cafe Artnia that's in front of Square-Enix's offices in Tokyo.

At the moment I'm downloading the trial of Horizon, while the controllers charge up a bit. I did some upgrades from games I had on PSVR1, so my library is a little bigger now. Got Rez, Thumper, Job Simulator, and Tetris Effect. I'm still on the fence for something full price to buy. I really want Kizuna Ai Touch the beat, but $35 seems steep. Also kinda torn between Moss 1/2, Horizon, and Star Wars for a "full price"

Last edited:
So I’ve spent more time on Demeo than any other VR game. The graphics are super impressive and the gameplay is so addicting. If you have a friend or two to play it with it’s even better.

Definitely one I’ll be plugging for a while. Probably my favourite of all the launch titles and one you can sit down with and chill.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
FWIW Fit and comfort is fine for me.
I know the in game IQ won’t rival the sharpness of the videos of the games but maybe I just havent quite nailed the sweet spot.
And that's the crux of it. I had 3 days to nail the hit spot and it's sometimes there or not... I don't want to be dealing with that really

SilentUser

Yay almost time to spend anothe couple of hours playing Demeo with friends (bard ftw)! I'm so used to everything now and I'm finding the image quality so good, the sweet spot easy to hit and the headset is incredibly comfortable... I'm just loving everything!

Haint

So which is it?

The issues are few fold, but easily explained. The sweet spot is tiny (the smallest of any consumer headset to date from my extensive experience), it becomes exponentially more blurry with even the slightest nudge off center, and the head strap being absolute dogshit only compounds these issues. Additionally, PS5 is too weak to run most games at sufficiently high resolutions, meaning the majority of titles are not rendering anywhere close to the 1.4x render target (~2800 x 2800 per eye) required to reach the minimum saturation point of the panels once the distortion correction is applied. As such, image clarity and AA solutions vary wildly from title to title, making some look trash, some decent, and some good. Impressions will depend entirely on the games tested, how well they wore the headset, and how frequently they adjusted it during play...and these are not minor differences we're talking about here, they're very significant.

Last edited:

consoul

So which is it?
I think this subject keeps coming up because the are a couple of factors at play.

Everyone's talking about the sweet spot and calibration, which is super important, but the other one is not getting talked about as much: PSVR2 games are running at different resolutions.

Some games are running at native res, some high, some low, some dynamic. GT7 for example runs in-race at a lower res than it does in the showroom. Variance in resolution makes a huge difference to IQ, just as it does on flatscreen. If all I'd played was No Man's Sky, I'd think PSVR2's image quality was garbage.

The hardware's image quality is excellent, but whether you see great IQ or not is down to the software.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The issues are few fold, but easily explained. The sweet spot is tiny (the smallest of any consumer headset to date from my extensive experience), it becomes exponentially blurry with even the slightest nudge off center, and the head strap being absolute dogshit only compounds these issues. Additionally, PS5 is too weak to run most games at sufficiently high resolutions, meaning the majority of titles are not rendering anywhere close to the 1.4x render target (~2800 x 2800) required to reach the minimum saturation point of the panels once the distortion correction is applied. Meaning render resolution and AA solutions vary wildly from title making some look trash, some decent, and some good. Impressions will depend entirely on the games test, and how well they wore the headset, and how frequently they adjusted it during play.
This is absolutely how I feel about it. I think people have never tried other pc headsets

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
So which is it?

One thing I realised looking at the distant horizon vs putting a hand up close to my face is that things far away are rendered with fewer pixels than big things up close. So up close the hand in Horizon looks very detailed, but the further way things start looking blurry.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TGO

Haint

This is absolutely how I feel about it. I think people have never tried other pc headsets

The fact that 40-50+ million people have at least tried a modern headset (90% of them being Quest 2's) is definitely working against Sony here. While improvements over PSVR1 are massive, improvements over Quest 2 are virtually nonexistent, with every "upgrade" also having it's own monkey paw downgrade. For example the superior displays are kneecapped by the terrible lenses, terrible headstrap, and bizarre grain artifact (be it mura or a pixel structure diffusion layer).

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
The fact that 40-50+ million people have at least tried a modern headset (90% of them being Quest 2's) is definitely working against Sony here. While improvements over PSVR1 are massive, improvements over Quest 2 are virtually nonexistent, with every "upgrade" also having it's own monkey paw downgrade. For example the superior displays are kneecapped by the terrible lenses, terrible headstrap, and bizarre grain artifact (be it mura or a pixel structure diffusion layer).
The lenses aren't terrible. Plus you get better colors and perfect blacks.
The headstrap is fine. MUCH better than the straps that most other headsets use.

Headset is much better than Quest 2.

Minsc

Gold Member
I think for the price, there's not a perfect headset they could have made. Had they gone wireless, they'd have to sacrifice elsewhere. Had they used pancake lenses their HDR would be diminished (at this price range). Had they gone with a bigger strap the people who like the fit now would complain I'm sure.

No matter what you do at this price level right now, I think you will upset some people. Me - it's not perfect, but it's still damned incredible. I don't think 90% of the audience is repeat buyers, but I'd be curious to see how many new faces they can bring to VR like myself. Hopefully quite a few!

Come on. Eye-tracked foveated rendering is a significant advancement with no downside.

You sacrifice not having pancake lenses with that (at least I've read people say such, not sure if it's a comment about keeping it at the price level or a comment about eye track w/ pancakes in general).

Last edited:
Top Bottom