• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

consoul

You sacrifice not having pancake lenses with that (at least I've read people say such, not sure if it's a comment about keeping it at the price level or a comment about eye track w/ pancakes in general).
There's no technical dependency between eye-tracking and lens type. They're unrelated; there is no sacrifice.

dorkimoe

Yay almost time to spend anothe couple of hours playing Demeo with friends (bard ftw)! I'm so used to everything now and I'm finding the image quality so good, the sweet spot easy to hit and the headset is incredibly comfortable... I'm just loving everything!
When you pull the board super close and look at their faces is it blurry?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Pavlov might be the best MP game I've ever experienced.

No joke.
I haven't played too much of it yet, but so far it's been fun. Haven't played any PvP either.

Still deciding on whether I like the stability of the virtual stock or the freedom of not having it on.

Power Pro

Just went through the trial of Horizon. Not sure if I wanna buy that, least not at full price. The climbing just feels really weird to do, and there's so much of it. I have less trouble with straight up smooth stick movement in VR, but feeling my body going up when my brain knows it's not felt a bit funky. Actually needed a bit of a break just after that trial. I played through the entirely of RE4 on Quest 2, so I'm not completely inexperienced with VR stuff. Just didn't think that felt right.

Edit: Do most of you do VR sitting or standing? The thing that throws me off so much in standing/roomscale games, is when you get to that border. Even if I don't hit the edge of my roomscale, I'm always worried I'm gonna hit something. Sitting at least makes me feel less likely to do that. When I played RE4 on Quest 2, I used a stood that I could spin around in, and that seemed to work kinda awesome.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Do most of you do VR sitting or standing?
I play sitting or standing depending on how your character is in the game:

Pavlov: Standing
GT7/Kayak: Sitting
Puzzling Places: mix of both

I don't move around much for games so I haven't had any issue of hitting the boundary.

Haint

Come on. Eye-tracked foveated rendering is a significant advancement with no downside.
Advantages I'm not so convinced of. AFAIK Horizon uses tracked foveated rendering, but is subjectively one of the lowest resolution titles, and still falls short of Horizon PS4 asset quality.

40-50M have not tried it on a high end PC

Only a small fraction have, so for those moving from mobile only would see a massive difference

True, but most people aren't doing Digital Foundry analyses. The average person can't differentiate art style from technical limitations, that's how Wii and Switch sell gangbusters. The most likely scenario of a poorly fitted/worn PSVR2 (i.e. optical blur) coupled with a relatively low resolution game (rendering blur) is unlikely to convince Joe Sixpack it's better than his Quest 2, and certainly not $1100 better.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
True, but most people aren't doing Digital Foundry analyses. The average person can't differentiate art style from technical limitations, that's how Wii and Switch sell gangbusters. The most likely scenario of a poorly fitted/worn PSVR2 (i.e. optical blur) coupled with a relatively low resolution game is unlikely to convince Joe Sixpack it's better than his Quest 2, and certainly not $1100 better.

I'm not really following this line of reasoning. It's not just framerates or something going from mobile to PS5 w/ foveated rendering.

It's going from...literally impossible to play RE8 on Quest 2 standalone to it being achievable on PSVR2. Same goes for stuff like GT7 and Horizon.

I think Joe Six Pack would be able to tell a massive difference between RE4 on Quest 2 standalone and RE8 on PSVR2

Last edited:

ABnormal

This is absolutely how I feel about it. I think people have never tried other pc headsets
On the contrary, some of the most enthusiastic comments about image quality (which, to be clear, means the overall result of resolution, rendering quality, OLED screens, HDR, lens type and lens setting) came right from die-hard high-end pc VR guys, who regularly play with the most high-end headsets (Varjo included), armed with 4090. And still they where hugely impressed. Obviously it's not all due to the headset, but also because PSVR2 is bringing again high-end VR titles, whereas on PC VR almost all the titles came out in the last years have been standalone-level games.
But several of those guys analyzed each aspect of the image, comparing it to the other headsets. Saying that ps5 is "too weak" to run those games, when it's on par or better in the final result compared to most of the high end headsets with beefy GPUs, sounds quite retarded. Sounds more like fake report or general ignorance of the average aspect of high end PC VR image quality.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
On the contrary, some of the most enthusiastic comments about image quality (which, to be clear, means the overall result of resolution, rendering quality, OLED screens, HDR, lens type and lens setting) came right from die-hard high-end pc VR guys, who regularly play with the most high-end headsets (Varjo included), armed with 4090. And still they where hugely impressed. Obviously it's not all due to the headset, but also because PSVR2 is bringing again high-end VR titles. whereas on PC VR almost all the titles came out in the last years have been standalone-level games.
But several of those analyzed each aspect of the image, comparing it to the other headsets. Saying that ps5 is "too weak" to run those games, when it's on par or better in the final result compared to most of the high end headsets with beefy GPUs, sounds quite retarded. Sounds more like fake report or general ignorance of the average aspect of high end PC VR image quality.
Not to mention how much a pain in the ass PCVR can be at times.

PSVR2 is literally plug n play.

ABnormal

You sacrifice not having pancake lenses with that (at least I've read people say such, not sure if it's a comment about keeping it at the price level or a comment about eye track w/ pancakes in general).
Clueless people blabber about things that they not even know, just mindlessly repeating things that they have read on internet, trying to look "expert" or smart. Fresnel lenses and Pancake lenses have many pros and cons, and if they were used, we would have easy and wide sweet spot, but dimmed down images with killed HDR, smaller FOV, and more pupil swim. Actual people who tried all the headsets for years told a much different story.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Of course it depends on the game but PSVR first round of games looks great and nowhere near shit.

Anyone with GT7, which is a full complete game and not an indie, load up a track and stop in the middle of the road. Look around at the barriers. View replay from a spectator point of view. It looks pretty amazing.
This is the first round of games.

At the same time no you aren't going to see the same screen as you would looking at GT on a 50 inch.

It doesn't have to be either extreme to look good or look bad.

Last edited:

Power Pro

Of course it depends on the game but PSVR first round of games looks great and nowhere near shit.

Anyone with GT7, which is a full complete game and not an indie, load up a track and stop in the middle of the road. Look around at the barriers. View replay from a spectator point of view. It looks pretty amazing.
This is the first round of games.

At the same time no you aren't going to see the same screen as you would looking at GT on a 50 inch.

It doesn't have to be either extreme to look good or look bad.

Ugh, I feel like I need a steering wheel now...not even that big a car guy, but i just love the idea of being so fully immersed. Not today though, and probably not this month...but eventually maybe.

Gamerguy84

Ugh, I feel like I need a steering wheel now...not even that big a car guy, but i just love the idea of being so fully immersed. Not today though, and probably not this month...but eventually maybe.
Haha yep. I've only been using Dualsense for now but I have a T150 I have to dig out. What I really need is a stand for it. I have to order one.

Crayon

I think people are overhyping the steering wheels. They're great, but so is the controller.

Actually, my favorite thing about a wheel is that they make the game harder. Even with all the controllers assist off, there's some clamping and cleaning going on in the inputs.

Wait till you can get the game on sale and try it out with a controller. It's a great sim but it's an even better video game! It's just fun.

Power Pro

Considering what some people were saying about the PSVR2, I feel like I was expecting more from the quality of the screens. Still feel like I'm seeing that screendoor effect that some publications claimed was all but gone because of the resolution and OLED screens.

I just played RE Village up until you get into the Castle, and I kept feeling everything looked blurry. I had hoped that with eyetracking and higher resolution screens that the sweet spot for your eyes would be less of a problem, but still seems like it is. And the controls felt more wonky than RE4 on the Quest did. Kept grabbing my handgun rather than than picking up an item was kinda frustrating. Not sure if I'm a fan of these controllers in general. I think I like the Meta/Oculus design better, because if for some reason I have to let go of these controllers, I'm always finding it tricky to get them back in my hands the right way.

Synless

Considering what some people were saying about the PSVR2, I feel like I was expecting more from the quality of the screens. Still feel like I'm seeing that screendoor effect that some publications claimed was all but gone because of the resolution and OLED screens.

I just played RE Village up until you get into the Castle, and I kept feeling everything looked blurry. I had hoped that with eyetracking and higher resolution screens that the sweet spot for your eyes would be less of a problem, but still seems like it is. And the controls felt more wonky than RE4 on the Quest did. Kept grabbing my handgun rather than than picking up an item was kinda frustrating. Not sure if I'm a fan of these controllers in general. I think I like the Meta/Oculus design better, because if for some reason I have to let go of these controllers, I'm always finding it tricky to get them back in my hands the right way.
My biggest issue with re8 is the god damn Slide on my pistol. I end up slamming my controllers together.

Your issue however might be solved by adjusting the hip height in settings.

SilentUser

When you pull the board super close and look at their faces is it blurry?
It isn't super sharp, that's for sure, but I'm finding it actually fine. Talked to a friend playing tonight with me that I just discovered there is a "Made in Sweden" very, very clearly written under the character and he said he could somewhat read it too, but it was almost unreadable (Quest 2 cabled to a very good PC that plays HL:A at high quality). Will see with ny own eyes next week, I think, and will compare with PSVR2 IQ with matching games :)

Gamerguy84

I got a stand that can easily fold up and keep the pedals and wheel attached. Makes moving it or putting it away super easy.

Yea I've seen similar like this one called vevor g29 for $89 on Amazon. The one inhad/have was a homemade rig that isn't worth finding so maybe next week I'll order that one.

dorkimoe

It isn't super sharp, that's for sure, but I'm finding it actually fine. Talked to a friend playing tonight with me that I just discovered there is a "Made in Sweden" very, very clearly written under the character and he said he could somewhat read it too, but it was almost unreadable (Quest 2 cabled to a very good PC that plays HL:A at high quality). Will see with ny own eyes next week, I think, and will compare with PSVR2 IQ with matching games :)
I’ll look for that made in Sweden text tonight

ZehDon

giphy.gif

Tygeezy

The downside right now is most games appear not to be using it. When I questioned the after the fall community manager why the game isn’t using foveated rendering since the game is running at 60 fps reprojected (looks like dog shit I might add) I was told the devs only worked on the haptics and that foveated rendering wasn’t providing this huge performer uptick.

Carmack has gone in record to say it doesn’t provide much performance increase, and been the devs that actually implemented it (song in the smoke) seem to suggest it didn’t add much performance on their interview with that digital foundry dude.

The only reference I’ve seen to psvr 2 being a beast is from the pavlov devs saying it ran 10 % better than his 3090 ti rig. He didn’t mention foveated rendering though, but I’m going to assume it uses it like song in the smoke does.

Last edited:
Goddamn RE8 is hard AF

Did anyone else switch to auto reload? Can’t be bothered fiddling with that shit as cool as it is, it’s unfortunately unreliable
I only played the demo, but for like 20 minutes and yeah, the sense controllers aren’t the most conducive to precise motor actions that require two hands when under pressure because they keep banging off each other. So I can imagine turning off manual when I play the game myself in about 6 months. (I intentionally skipped the half price sale. Will wait for next sale. Need to earn my VR legs first)

Minsc

Gold Member
I only played the demo, but for like 20 minutes and yeah, the sense controllers aren’t the most conducive to precise motor actions that require two hands when under pressure because they keep banging off each other. So I can imagine turning off manual when I play the game myself in about 6 months. (I intentionally skipped the half price sale. Will wait for next sale. Need to earn my VR legs first)
Today I finally turned off vignetting in RE8 and it's so much nicer, no more black frame when moving (snap turning does not work at all for me in RE8, it's way too fast paced, I need to see all the frames, no skipping. Horizon I prefer the snap turning because it keeps the screen from blurring). Guess I'm almost there. Was queasy for the first 3 sessions, but today normal! I think the movement in general works pretty good, you position with the analogs and aim with your arms, so I feel like it'll be very precise, but I still have to get over my fear of VR zombies now that the motion problem is out of the way haha.

Had a pretty long winded fight with Horizon and I'm not even that out of shape but after drawing like the 50th arrow my arms we're like ok, we need a quick 5 second rest from being held up haha. Archery is really fun in VR, probably even more fun than guns. I'm looking forward to Song in the Smoke a lot too now. Crafting seems a lot more interesting in VR, it is kinda like small scale puzzle solving in Horizon.

Crayon

Motion Sick Tip:

With halo headbands like this, you can take the light shroud off and play. If you have a game that is giving you trouble, try that to ease into it. I had the idea because re7 got me feeling sick in like 5 minutes every time. I had the idea to pull off the face gasket and play like that and sure enough it made a big difference. It's the first thing I do if a game makes me motion sick now.

Pavlov didn't make me sick but I was losing balance and bumping into shit even with the play area reminder. So I took the shroud off and it was easier to stay oriented.

In fact after that resident evil 7 story I played with the shroud off in alot of cases. Beat Saber so it didn't get hot in there, when anybody's around so I don't cut myself off, or just because I don't feel like putting it back on. I know the idea horrifies some people lol. imo vr isn't just about immersion. Sometimes it's okay to give some up.

I'm was same, I was disappointed with how blurryy RE Village was and also very disappointed with how Horzion VR looked like a PS4 Pro game. My eye's have now got used to the lower res in RE Village but the experince more than makes up for it and GT& is amazing its like there's no downgrade at all.

I so hope Half Life VR comes to the PSVR2 and that SEGA bring its light gun games like House of the Dead Scarlet Dawn to it as well

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The downside right now is most games appear not to be using it. When I questioned the after the fall community manager why the game isn’t using foveated rendering since the game is running at 60 fps reprojected (looks like dog shit I might add) I was told the devs only worked on the haptics and that foveated rendering wasn’t providing this huge performer uptick.

Carmack has gone in record to say it doesn’t provide much performance increase, and been the devs that actually implemented it (song in the smoke) seem to suggest it didn’t add much performance on their interview with that digital foundry dude.

The only reference I’ve seen to psvr 2 being a beast is from the pavlov devs saying it ran 10 % better than his 3090 ti rig. He didn’t mention foveated rendering though, but I’m going to assume it uses it like song in the smoke does.
I was referring to it as bait to mention the 'one' thing in the thread title.

ABnormal

There's no technical dependency between eye-tracking and lens type. They're unrelated; there is no sacrifice.
He was probably trying to say that Pancake lenses are costlier and that to keep the price within a certain amount, having both pancake lenses AND eye tracking would have been too much. He just thinks that parts can be put together mindlessly, and doesn't realize that various aspects have to fit together. For example, using OLED screens with pancake lenses would dim down the light too much (OLED screens are noticeably less bright than LCDs, and Pancake lenses cut most of the light, in comparison to Fresnel lenses).

consoul

The downside right now is most games appear not to be using it.
Most games? Says who?
In any case, a game choosing not to use it is not a downside.
Carmack has gone in record to say it doesn’t provide much performance increase,
He was originally talking about foveated rendering without eye-tracking, which is not the same thing.

*edit* On ETFR, he said "several times a second your eyes will dart to a new position, and the latency from movement through eye tracking, through rendering and displaying a new frame shows a lot of blur."
I'm sure that was true in his experience (when he said it in 2021), but PSVR2's implementation has reduced the latency to a point where that's not the case.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to use the mic in pavlov? I'm talking but no one is hearing me. I have the earbuds that came with psvr2

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Most games? Says who?
In any case, a game choosing not to use it is not a downside.

He was originally talking about foveated rendering without eye-tracking, which is not the same thing.

*edit* On ETFR, he said "several times a second your eyes will dart to a new position, and the latency from movement through eye tracking, through rendering and displaying a new frame shows a lot of blur."
I'm sure that was true in his experience (when he said it in 2021), but PSVR2's implementation has reduced the latency to a point where that's not the case.

“You won’t even get 2x vs fixed foveated rendering.”

Skip to 8:10 of this video “You asked about performance … We noticed no impact.”

Last edited:

MastAndo

Purchased Pistol Whip earlier and I'm probably the only weirdo who owns any sort of VR headset and doesn't care for it. Not that I can't see the appeal - I was vibing to it for a while (despite not being a fan of EDM at all) and getting a good rhythm/sweat going, but it just felt samey even after just 45 minutes or so and my interest faded. The aesthetic is cool, but I was left unimpressed with the visuals overall which is pretty crazy since I've been impressed by everything this system has thrown at me so far. I'm thinking maybe "beat your high score" rhythm games just aren't for me, but as a VR noob, I had to give it a shot.

“You won’t even get 2x vs fixed foveated rendering.”

Skip to 8:10 of this video “You asked about performance … We noticed no impact.”

Wasn’t there a report somewhere that FR provides up to 3.4x performance uplift?

Also, wasn’t it suggested that in the video you linked that they didn’t see a performance benefit from ETFR because the PS5 was already pushing the limits of what they could render in the HMD? I may making all of this up, but it’s kinda how I interpreted it.

You seem to be almost insinuating that there is no performance uplift from ETFR vs. Non-ET’ed. carrack says “won’t even get 2x”.

Well, all this is being super pedantic. The answer to this, as with many things, is the ETFR does provide some performance savings, but maybe not as much as people hoped or believed. Which is also to say that it’s a pretty fucking good benefit regardless.

Tygeezy

Wasn’t there a report somewhere that FR provides up to 3.4x performance uplift?

Also, wasn’t it suggested that in the video you linked that they didn’t see a performance benefit from ETFR because the PS5 was already pushing the limits of what they could render in the HMD? I may making all of this up, but it’s kinda how I interpreted it.

You seem to be almost insinuating that there is no performance uplift from ETFR vs. Non-ET’ed. carrack says “won’t even get 2x”.

Well, all this is being super pedantic. The answer to this, as with many things, is the ETFR does provide some performance savings, but maybe not as much as people hoped or believed. Which is also to say that it’s a pretty fucking good benefit regardless.
It’s not the holy grail that it was touted as but there are big benefits. Namely that they can up res whatever you are really focusing on which to me seems like a bigger deal for pancake lenses since they have a much larger surface area for full resolution over fresnel.

What I got from the song in the smoke devs wasn’t it provided great benefits for focusing visual quality but it wasn’t anything that was providing a big boost to performance. The big boost was working on something much stronger than a quest 2 and a PlayStation 4.

I am being dumb here but I finally took the plunge and bought Cosmonious High last night for PSVR2, having been impressed by the image quality and sharpness of the demo but not having a clue what it was I was supposed to be doing. I figured the full game would feature a better tutorial. Well, it does but it is another VR game that just dumps you in the game rather than a main menu so there is no way to tweak any options. The game has dialogue but being hearing impaired I am struggling to hear it properly (using the supplied earphones with full volume) so I have no idea (still) what do now now I am in one of the classrooms. I have pressed all the buttons on both Sense controllers, even held several down at the same time, but I cannot bring up a menu to enable subtitles. I find it hard to believe that any game released in 2023 would not have subtitles. So does it? And if there is a menu screen then how do you access it. There are on-screen tutorials of the picture kind but they are not always clear on what the actual objective is since I could not hear the dialogue and there is no mission or quest log!

P.S. I am disliking the way some of these VR games dump you into the game without granting you access to a main menu first to customise the game. Kayak VR: Mirage also does this but I managed to work my way around that by accidentally pressing X and bringing up the menu.

Top Bottom