• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

MastAndo

So, Zombieland is sneaky good. I picked it up tonight and while I have the aim of a Stormtrooper and my tiny brain took an hour to get used to the reloading, I had a really good time with it. The gunplay is satisfying and that feeling of having "one more go" is strong since the levels are so short. It feels like you get rewarded for your time too with the currency system and unlockables. If you don't expect it to be something that it's not (i.e. anything other than the VR version of an arcade light gun game), it's a blast.

There are options in the game for gun tilt - default, absolute and relative. Absolute and relative have percentages you can adjust. I have no idea what any of this does, or if this is just a standard option in VR gun games, but I'm having a hard time telling the difference between each. How should I decide what I should be picking? My aim is all over the place sometimes.

Hoppa

Beat Saber when

Sweat Help GIF by Dance Church

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Carmack was comparing to fixed foveated rendering, ie always having anything off the screen center in lower quality whether you're actually looking at it or not, which is obviously a huge compromise done for games that can't maintain decent performance on Quest or anywhere. You'd never find such a compromise acceptable in non VR games and it shouldn't be acceptable in VR either as it essentially reduces an already limited FOV. What it should be compared to is having no foveated rendering, everything in high quality no matter where you're looking as that's the quality achieved 🤷‍♂️

It's been demonstrated many times & pretty definitively outside theoretical claims:

At least a 40% improvement in performance.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After the Fall - PSVR1 vs PSVR2 vs Meta Quest 2 Graphics Comparison

Timestamps
PSVR1 vs PSVR2 Side-by-Side A 00:00
PSVR1 vs PSVR2 Side-by-Side B 03:53
PSVR1 vs Quest 2 Side-by-Side A 07:46
PSVR1 vs Quest 2 Side-by-Side A 11:39
Quest 2 vs PSVR2 Side-by-Side A 15:31
Quest 2 vs PSVR2 Side-by-Side A 19:24

PSVR1 footage captured on PS4 Pro.
PSVR2 footage captured on PS5.

Rudius

It’s not the holy grail that it was touted as but there are big benefits. Namely that they can up res whatever you are really focusing on which to me seems like a bigger deal for pancake lenses since they have a much larger surface area for full resolution over fresnel.

What I got from the song in the smoke devs wasn’t it provided great benefits for focusing visual quality but it wasn’t anything that was providing a big boost to performance. The big boost was working on something much stronger than a quest 2 and a PlayStation 4.
The pixels, or filter on top are visible even in the edges of the screen on PSVR2, as is the difference in turning eye-tracking on and off in the menu. If I can perceive such small changes, the edge to edge clarity is good.

SilentUser

One week with my PSVR2 already! And like I said before, I'm absolutely loving my time with it, pretty happy with what we got. I just love how comfortable it is and I'm really digging the colors produced by the lenses, it is far better than what other mainstream headsets produces. Plus, the sense controllers actually adds immersion to the games in a new interesting way. Finally, the cable never really bothered me.

Can't stop saying good things about Demeo, Light Brigade and Resident Evil 8! Having a blast playing them for different reasons: nothing tops playing Demeo with long time friends and facing some challenging battles while strategizing with them; Light Brigade is a tough, but enticing title with awesome gunplay; and Resident Evil Village scares me much more than I thought it would, it is amazing how the immersion makes the horror parts truly shine.

Resenge

Has anyone been playing Pavlov fully seated? Like increase your floor height manually as when I sit down I seem to be kneeling. I know it's supposed to be standing but I'm lazy.

Also I have to keep creating my play area as it says none found. I mean come on! Anyone else get that?

I hope more games have vr modes and sony are actively thinking about this rather than "experiences"
I play seated sometimes, I do play standing but I'm close to 50 now and I cba standing up for too long and sometimes put a couple of hours in, fuck standing for 2 or 3 hours.

My workaround is to go into your floor settings and adjust the VR floor to lower than your RL floor, about 2 feet below the floor for my chair. That allows me to stand up in game and run around, the downside is if you drop your gun you can't pick it up. Done that a couple of times, it was fun to run around with a knife trying to shank everyone. My kill count with a knife is 1 kill. \o/

Last edited:

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
I may have revised my opinion of the Star Wars game. When I originally played the demo I basically ran through it but last night I took my time with it. I’m beginning to appreciate all the small touches like the loot crate opening and the wrist scanner. Sneaking around rather than running in lets you listen in on trivial bits of convo. It also allows you to get closer to enemies and you get a better sense of scale and place when you’re shooting someone up close in the face.

Also did about 3 hours in RE. I never want this game to end. LLTP but Lady D is terrifying and hot. Her in game model is gorgeously detailed when she leans in to you while she’s holding you up.

Freeman76

Does anyone know what causes the screen to wobble/pulse now and then in static games like Moss/Puzzling places? Its like it loses tracking for a split second randomly. I have tried darker/lighter conditions and it still happens.

Resenge

Does anyone know what causes the screen to wobble/pulse now and then in static games like Moss/Puzzling places? Its like it loses tracking for a split second randomly. I have tried darker/lighter conditions and it still happens.
I don't have any problems but if you are sat in front of your TV there is an option to help with tracking.

"if you feel like your headset is having tracking issues, you can turn on an additional option which will use your TV as a tracking marker to make it easier for the headset to have something to lock onto."
"To enable Tracking Support on PSVR 2, go to Settings > Accessories > PlayStation VR2 > Tracking Support and turn the option on."

Also do you have any mirror or something reflective in front of the area where you play VR as that could cause tracking issues?

Last edited:

Freeman76

I don't have any problems but if you are sat in front of your TV there is an option to help with tracking.

"if you feel like your headset is having tracking issues, you can turn on an additional option which will use your TV as a tracking marker to make it easier for the headset to have something to lock onto."
"To enable Tracking Support on PSVR 2, go to Settings > Accessories > PlayStation VR2 > Tracking Support and turn the option on."

Also do you have any mirror or something reflective in front of the area where you play VR as that could cause tracking issues?

Yeah I have enabled that but it didnt help. There isnt anything reflective in my room either, i have dark walls but a big window so can manage the light levels well. Wonder if its faulty maybe?

K2D

Banned
Wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I had my DuelSense on while playing in VR. I did notice that the DS had auto turned off
as I was trying to figure out the TV feed issue.
My hunch is that is that it is a bug related to the system interface.

Any connection to the timing out of the duelsense is not the underlying cause. Is my take on it anyway..

There might even be history of this on psvr1, something which others more experienced than me might shed light on..

Last edited:

PanzerCute

If you love Left4Dead or Vermintide kind of games, dont sleep on After The Fall it is really fun.

Already played 8 hours and am completely addicted. The loop is quite simple and grindy, but the gameplay is SO fun: obliterate waves and waves of dumbass zombies with disgusting headshot sounds and gruesome dismemberments reminds me of the fun I had when I was a kid playing HOTD.

Last edited:

SilentUser

If you love Left4Dead or Vermintide kind of games, dont sleep on After The Fall it is really fun.

Already played 8 hours and am completely addicted. The loop is quite simple and grindy, but the gameplay is SO fun: obliterate waves and waves of dumbass zombies with disgusting headshot sounds and gruesome dismemberments reminds me of the fun I had when I was a kid playing HOTD.
Oh yeah, the game is on my list just waiting for a friend to buy one VR so we can play together. I love to play this type of game with my friends, can't wait!

Sounds awesome, can it be played as a single player, offline?

I understand but changing your postion recenter and moving back change to some degree proportions, also it depands on car also
It really, really doesn't change anything. I'm looking at arms and legs that look like a childs compared to what I see when im looking at my own arms and legs, I'm much taller and wider (I've been weight training and running for almost 29 years), there's nothing I can do that doesn't make it a little immersion breaking.

Now don't get me wrong, that's no big deal, but unless you're a larger person it's hard to understand the disconnect. That doesn't change that the game is absolutely incredible.

PanzerCute

Oh yeah, the game is on my list just waiting for a friend to buy one VR so we can play together. I love to play this type of game with my friends, can't wait!
I bought an absurd amount of games, and end up playing this one the most, which is not something I expected at all!

Sounds awesome, can it be played as a single player, offline?
Unfortunately, while you can play solo with bots (they are dum AF) there is no way to play offline.
But you can easily find people to play with : their matchmaking is bad, but you can just spam your full lobby of invite to PSVR2 users (PCVR and Quests are almost all in endgame+++) and you will find people easily.

Yeah, theres no way the average person is going to really see a massive difference between quest 2 and PSVR2 on this specific game.
It's definitely not a looker, but it's more than decent, and on PSVR2 it's crystal clear.

PanzerCute

Would love to buy one but im afraid i will get motion sickness from it , therefore im not buying it.
Motion sickness is easy to beat, don't let it be a reason not to buy a headset.

I didn't play VR for almost 3 years, so I completely lost my VR legs when I received my PSVR2 less than a week ago. The first day it was hard for me to play most games more than 15 minutes at a time, then the next day I could play in 30 minutes sessions, then the day after one hour etc.. after 5 days, my VR Legs were fullyback and I could now play for several hours straight if I want. Also important to note that I removed everything that helps regarding motion sickness directly: so you can probably make that process even more fluid and easier by using teleport and snap turning to begin with.

And there are still games that don't trigger ANY motion sickness. Games like Moss 1 & 2, Puzzling Places, Townsmen, Tentacular, Tetris etc.. are perfect to play while building up your tolerance to motion sickness.

The key is not to brute force it : if you feel a bit dizzy, just stop. Do a 15/30 minutes break, and go back. Everytime you'll notice that your resistance is a bit better, and one day you will do a 1h+ session without even realising it.

And lastly, you can use some medicine or other stuff to help you during that adaptation period: ginger is GREAT for motion sickness, you can have a fan blowing at you while you play (sound stupid but that really helps your brain..) etc..

Unless you have a very specific condition, there is no reason that you would not manage to get over it, and also know that some people just don't have it at all. I have a friend who could play 1 hour of fucking Wipeout as his first introduction to VR. I was floored haha

Well, these are my 2 cents on this, if it can help you :)

Last edited:
I bought an absurd amount of games, and end up playing this one the most, which is not something I expected at all!

Unfortunately, while you can play solo with bots (they are dum AF) there is no way to play offline.
But you can easily find people to play with : their matchmaking is bad, but you can just spam your full lobby of invite to PSVR2 users (PCVR and Quests are almost all in endgame+++) and you will find people easily.

It's definitely not a looker, but it's more than decent, and on PSVR2 it's crystal clear.
Hm.. So does it suck playing solo with bots or is it fun as well? Playing with other people isn't an option, it's just too unappealing for me 😁 (then I'd rather play something else instead).

marcincz

Platinumed Job Simulator and almost finished with Horizon. Good lord VR is amazing. I don't even know what to say other than this is definitely the jump that everyone is looking for when going to 'next-gen.' The problem is the hardware is both expensive and intimidating to use. But, man, once you give yourself over to it and accept the new gaming issues that come with VR, it is really fucking hard to go back.
Agree.
I was looking for next gen titles from 2013 and I've finally found in VR Horizon.
Put a headset, start a game and I am in the middle of Horizon world. That’s incredible.
I hope to finish Horizon this weekend and start Kayak.
BTW, I ordered physical version of SW and must check Beat Saber soon. 2023 will be my VR year.

Last edited:

engstra

No it's not, and it's been proven not to be the case for years now. Hybrid didn't start in 2023.

i don't see why you would think GT7 and RE8 are going to be significant steps into making VR becoming a "mainstream" device anymore than RE7 and GT Sport did.
It's pretty clear that hybrid is going to be a much larger part of the strategy for the PSVR2 in order to offer a selection of longer experiences. Let's face it, those hybrid titles were few and far between on PSVR with most games being glorified tech demos. We had about a handful of those bigger games on there. But if they make it a strategy to incorporate VR into the majority of 1st party titles that would be a massive reason to own a headset.

A2una1

Hm I don't know, if I'm not compatible with the headset or what I'm doing wrong. Most people seem to have crystal clear Images, Digital Foundry even said it could be a viable TV replacement. I, for the love of god, can't get the Image to be as clear as my TV. Just tried again playing Battlefield with it, but it is so blurry I find it hard to realy recognize anything.

And for the real VR games: I tried GT7, Star Wars, Resident Evil 8 and No mans sky. But every Game seems to have a little rest of blurrynes in them....

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sadly I returned
Hm I don't know, if I'm not compatible with the headset or what I'm doing wrong. Most people seem to have crystal clear Images, Digital Foundry even said it could be a viable TV replacement. I, for the love of god, can't get the Image to be as clear as my TV. Just tried again playing Battlefield with it, but it is so blurry I find it hard to realy recognize anything.

And for the real VR games: I tried GT7, Star Wars, Resident Evil 8 and No mans sky. But every Game seems to have a little rest of blurrynes in them....
Maybe you are a bit shortsighted?
The headset focal distance is further away than cv1 or quest 1 was. I could use those without glasses easily but psvr2 is burry without glasses. it just focuses further.
Or maybe you have problem with fit and finding-holding good sweetspot ?
I have all these problems and headset slippage... and returned it(or at least trying to return it)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I know on other VR headsets a micro adjustment here and there can make all the difference.

PanzerCute

Hm.. So does it suck playing solo with bots or is it fun as well? Playing with other people isn't an option, it's just too unappealing for me 😁 (then I'd rather play something else instead).
I did a few missions with bots on the first level of difficulty and they work well enough. Not the smartest but it can work. For other difficulty levels, I cant tell but I think it can be OK for the second one. Not sure about the 3 other difficulty levels tho.
I'm pretty sure that you can even solo the full game, but it would require a lot of skill. I've seen a video of a guy playing on Quest 2 destroying one of the hardest levels on top difficulty. But it's not gonna be easy!

I also understand and respect the fact that you don't want to play with other people, but believe me it's not bad at all: the vast majoity of players will remain muted and you won't get distracted by playing with others (and you can manually mute them too). And you can have some great surprise sometimes : I played with some dudes two days ago who didn't say anything during the game, but at the end of the mission we had to climb on an elevator and had to wait for a few dozen of seconds : one started to mimic a stupid danse, we all followed him and ended up burst out laughing like morons for 5 minutes.

R6Rider

Gold Member

It's not going to be as clear as your TV. I doubt DF actually said that. They probably mentioned it being viable as an option for 2D games via cinema mode instead of only playing them on a TV.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's not going to be as clear as your TV. I doubt DF actually said that. They probably mentioned it being viable as an option for 2D games via cinema mode instead of only playing them on a TV.
oh yeah even under best conditions it's nowhere near close IQ on the tv.
Maybe everyone saying "it's so sharp" is a problem... it is sharp compared to psvr1...

This happened a lot on the PSVR1 version of Puzzling Places and I assumed it was just due to PSVR1. If it is happening with PSVR2 then it must be something with the software itself.

Minsc

Gold Member
I actually find the lower resolution games to be pretty sharp like RE8, actually being able to see the pixels. If it were blurry the pixels wouldn't be easily visible, like on the opening menu to RE8 I can see a decent amount of pixelation. But the sense of depth looking down the snowy field and the snow itself and the lasers from the controllers pointing direction all look great to me.

I'm actually very disappointed those targeting lasers / lines aren't on any weapons I have.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
One thing that I also noticed and was not a huge fan are clicky buttons on the sense controllers.
I love the silent, rubber feeling dpad, buttons and l1/r1 on dualsense compared to super loud, clicky xbox buttons.
Mind you, still queiter than xbox dpad

One thing that I also noticed and was not a huge fan are clicky buttons on the sense controllers.
I love the silent, rubber feeling dpad, buttons and l1/r1 on dualsense compared to super loud, clicky xbox buttons.
Mind you, still queiter than xbox dpad
I mean, i'll take the xbox controller every time. I would certainly say PS5 is my primary console, but god damn I would love to be able to use the Series X controller on PS5. I would barely ever use the dualsense again (except for a few experiences that actually use it kind of well, like Astro, but those are incredibly rare). I like the clicky buttone, but the controller also feels more precise.
Then there's the awful force feedback in the triggers for shooters that Sony does. I hate it.

Kilau

Sadly I returned

Maybe you are a bit shortsighted?
The headset focal distance is further away than cv1 or quest 1 was. I could use those without glasses easily but psvr2 is burry without glasses. it just focuses further.
Or maybe you have problem with fit and finding-holding good sweetspot ?
I have all these problems and headset slippage... and returned it(or at least trying to return it)
That’s a shame, I’m always able to adjust mine to the sweet spot but that spot is super small.

Hope your return goes through.

Yeah, theres no way the average person is going to really see a massive difference between quest 2 and PSVR2 on this specific game.
? The difference are pretty clear on pretty much everything (polygon count, textures, lightning), even if on PSVR2 the game is still far from being a looker or really take advantage of the hardware

Minsc

Gold Member

? The difference are pretty clear on pretty much everything (polygon count, textures, lightning), even if on PSVR2 the game is still far from being a looker or really take advantage of the hardware
These are probably the average people that can't tell the difference between a Switch game and a PS5 game or a 4k Blu-ray and regular 1080p streaming so keep your expectations in check when average people come in to play.

Unless it's like PS1 to PS4 difference the average person really has little ability to pick apart A and B lol.

Bartski

Gold Member
Got any tips for the console maintaining the play area? My system keeps kicking me out requesting to re-scan while I play and it's starting to piss me off.

Is this because I'm facing a big white wall? I also can't seem to scan the ceiling as I have lamps there that need to be on for it all to work... Happens quite often when there is a lot of body movement in standing mode

Kev Kev

I didn't play VR for almost 3 years, so I completely lost my VR legs when I received my PSVR2 less than a week ago. The first day it was hard for me to play most games more than 15 minutes at a time, then the next day I could play in 30 minutes sessions, then the day after one hour etc.. after 5 days, my VR Legs were fullyback and I could now play for several hours straight if I want. Also important to note that I removed everything that helps regarding motion sickness directly: so you can probably make that process even more fluid and easier by using teleport and snap turning to begin with.

And there are still games that don't trigger ANY motion sickness. Games like Moss 1 & 2, Puzzling Places, Townsmen, Tentacular, Tetris etc.. are perfect to play while building up your tolerance to motion sickness.

The key is not to brute force it : if you feel a bit dizzy, just stop. Do a 15/30 minutes break, and go back. Everytime you'll notice that your resistance is a bit better, and one day you will do a 1h+ session without even realising it.

And lastly, you can use some medicine or other stuff to help you during that adaptation period: ginger is GREAT for motion sickness, you can have a fan blowing at you while you play (sound stupid but that really helps your brain..) etc..

Unless you have a very specific condition, there is no reason that you would not manage to get over it, and also know that some people just don't have it at all. I have a friend who could play 1 hour of fucking Wipeout as his first introduction to VR. I was floored haha

Good post. Well said.

In my case, I never had motion sickness for anything in my life, so I expected not to have any when I tried VR. Oh man was I wrong. It was actually pretty intense despite the fact that I took my time and took frequent breaks. Funny thing though, I actually kind of liked the feeling. Felt like I was going down a rollercoaster. Jumping off a cliff in Skyrim or doing barrel rolls in No Man's Sky felt like dropping straight down. I loved it. Now when I play VR I only get that feeling for the first couple minutes, then it wears off. I kind of miss those first couple weeks getting used to VR lol.

R6Rider

Gold Member

Clapping Applause GIF

Rac3r

That's not so. The idea behind eye tracked fr is that your peripheral vision is always blurry.

Yea my explanation came out weird lol. I meant to say that the foveated rendering intentionally blurs objects outside of your focus, which doesn't affect perceived PQ.

Top Bottom