• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

TIGERCOOL

For those playing FPS Games in VR.....

SMOOTH TURNING OR SNAP TURNING?

What say you.....I think Smooth Turning is the ultimate end goal, but my VR legs may need lots of stretching to handle it
have done smooth turning from day one on psvr2 and haven't gotten much motion sickness at all. Maybe occassional low grade feeling if I was doing a lot and standing, but after a couple of days it's essentially gone. Agree with the other poster who said swivel chair is the way to go. Nice balance between standing and sitting.

That said, I have a friend who is a VR vet who can't do smooth turning to this day without turning green so YMMV

Last edited:
Damn sony directs turnaround time sucks. Got a doa day 1 psvr 2. shipped that shit back for an exchnage sony got it on monday and now im being told it can take 7-10 days to get my replacement. I shouldve just returned and just repurchase instead.
Really? I shipped mine back Saturday PM and my replacement should be here in ~1 hour. UK.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Really? I shipped mine back Saturday PM and my replacement should be here in ~1 hour. UK.
I'm not sure where the other poster lives but UK Sony is better then US Sony when it comes to this.
Shit I've had same day replacement back when my PS3 died

mitchman

Gold Member
Yeah I have enabled that but it didnt help. There isnt anything reflective in my room either, i have dark walls but a big window so can manage the light levels well. Wonder if its faulty maybe?
Try pulling the shades over the window. UV light will confuse tracking.

Haint

What say you.....I think Smooth Turning is the ultimate end goal, but my VR legs may need lots of stretching to handle it

Smooth locomotion is fine for most people as most people don't get queasy riding Airport moving walkways or rolling around in a wheelchair. However the real world equivalent of smooth turning is being spun around in circles in an office chair for an hour+ and as such is likely not well tolerated by a vast majority of users (and never will be).

Last edited:

Crayon

The smooth turning doesn't make me sick. It strains my eyes for some reason. It's like my eyes get stuck to the scenery while it's panning. I can play like that but I start feeling it in like half an hour. Idk, it's weird and I haven't come across it in anyone else.

I like big 90 degree snaps + natural turning. If I'm sitting, then smaller snaps. The only thing that concerns me about it is that the snap turn is weird for viewers because they aren't anticipating it.

In the standing games I've played on vr2, I have hardly touched the right stick at all. I just turn. I should probably be using it for pavlov, but natural turning is so much more immersive and it's the most comfortable of any method.

TrebleShot

At the moment its a mixture of the two, the snap one is pretty good in most games as you can adjust the degrees of the snap which is just a great QOL thing.
I have smooth on in Horizon and After the Fall but it feels very sluggish like your taking an age to turn but if you up the sensitivity it can lead to major sickness.

So Im messing with snap at the moment and the degrees of turning.

I dont get why there isnt head based turning, thats how I always thought it would work, so essentially you hit a certain point on the screen like on the edges and the character turns.

I have always used snap turn since 2016 - tried smooth turning once and noped out pretty much immediately. However, I thought I'd try smooth turn on Pavlov last night and was pleasantly surprised I didn't run to the bathroom. It has a speed level which I maxed out. Surprised me.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Played a little bit of Pavlov training using the vignette and snap turning. It was ok for maybe 20 minutes or so before I had to give it a rest. That motion sickness is a motherfucka.

On another note, holy hell are those reloads involving.

naguanatak

Only had time to play for 5-6 hours last weekend.
Definitely a step up from PSVR1.

Tried Kayak VR in which I experienced motion sickness in the tutorial pool. First time for me. Interesting, will return to it.

Resident Evil 8 is nice, much 'cleaner' than 7, but I played for 30-45 minutes max, so I haven't seen anything yet. Not a horror person, but I played 7 completely in VR, awesome experience, so I have to play 8, too, I think :messenger_fearful:

Gran Turismo 7 is everything I hoped for. Not into racing games anymore. Last time was maybe Gran Turismo 2 back in the day. When I heard 7 is a 'return to form' or at least feels old school in that way I bought it and had fun for 10-15 hours...then came the VR upgrade last week and I have to say it's the game I'm most impressed with. Depth perception on a TV is nonexistent for me in racing games, so I have to either use markers or the mini(road)map, both of which I dislike. In VR I can turn the hud completely off and just drive and anticipate corners in a much more natural way...who would've thought, right :messenger_grinning_sweat: it's just childlike fun to race on these tracks and 'be there'...if I still have fun after 10 more hours or so, I'm tempted to buy a wheel :messenger_grinning_squinting:

No Man's Sky. What can I say? One of my favourite games and for me the one most suited to be played in VR. Still a blurry mess for anything outside your immediate area, but I don't care. The sense controllers are a very nice addition. (The move controllers absolutely sucked.)
The 'swoosh' sound bug is gone, very nice.
The 'drifting hud' bug is gone, yeah.
And the starship is controllable in comparison the to PSVR1 Version with the move controllers...so all is good. I will log a couple thousand more hours into this game...and this time I can switch betweend VR and pancake on the same save, I'm very happy with the headset, just for this game alone. Everything else down the line are cherries on top.

To the recent discussion about smooth/snap turning.
For me smooth all the way. I want to play as I would on a normal tv, just in VR. Haven't had a problem besides Kayak VR yet. Running around, jumping from mountains, jetpacking across the landscape...it's awesome. I feel a bit queasy after a one hour session, but nothing like the sickness I had after the Kayak session.
Easy to endure, but I'm curious if it will get better and easier. I will mostly have time to play in VR on the weekends and don't know if these constant breaks will hinder further development of my VR legs. We will see

SilentUser

I'm most lively going to buy both Cities and Townsmen VR one day, put them on hold for now because I've spent way too much already.

Rudius

I've seen these videos, really amazing. I think it's maybe about VR or tech knowledge. I have a C1 48 but I don't expect it's sharpness on VR2, I do expect the color and black level to look like the C1, do they look close to that?

My VR2 is coming only on July or later, but I have great hype
HDR videos look beautiful, it's like a high end current TV in color and contrast, but with a resolution of the PS3 era.

Would love to buy one but im afraid i will get motion sickness from it , therefore im not buying it.
Got mine yesterday.
RE8 was nauseau inducimg everytime the character moved around on his own (short cutscenes)
But i felt none playing Horizon - which was built for VR

PanzerCute

Only had time to play for 5-6 hours last weekend.
Definitely a step up from PSVR1.

Tried Kayak VR in which I experienced motion sickness in the tutorial pool. First time for me. Interesting, will return to it.

No Man's Sky. What can I say? One of my favourite games and for me the one most suited to be played in VR. Still a blurry mess for anything outside your immediate area, but I don't care. The sense controllers are a very nice addition. (The move controllers absolutely sucked.)
Kayak is the only game that still makes me feel a bit weird : but I think it's more about having actual "sea sickness" than purely VR motion sickness. I also can't control that game : I always tend to lean more on one side than another and never manage to stabilize my kayak.

And to answer you on No Man Sky, apparently the actual PSVR2 patch is not out yet: the game was stated to be upgraded in March but ended up being "ready" for PSVR2 launch. None of the "big" PSVR2 features are in the game right now, and Sony probably pushed the dev to release a half-baked version for launch (IE almost a PSVR1 port)
Hopefully we get a proper patch this month. Bought the game, I have never played it before, and I think it's gonna be extrarodinary on VR. Tried PSVR2 version but it is tooo blurry for now.
I expect this game to be my "Skyrim VR" where I'll spend more than a hundred hours into it.

PanzerCute

Got mine yesterday.
RE8 was nauseau inducimg everytime the character moved around on his own (short cutscenes)
But i felt none playing Horizon - which was built for VR
Moving a character as you would do in a flat game can be VERY motion-sickness friendly at first. But believe me, just play in short session and in about 1/2 weeks you will be perfectly fine and remove all features that help regarding motion sickness.

Hellmaker

And to answer you on No Man Sky, apparently the actual PSVR2 patch is not out yet: the game was stated to be upgraded in March but ended up being "ready" for PSVR2 launch. None of the "big" PSVR2 features are in the game right now, and Sony probably pushed the dev to release a half-baked version for launch (IE almost a PSVR1 port)
Hopefully we get a proper patch this month.

Is this true? Any official word on it?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I posted this in the GT7 VR DF thread but I'll post it here too
I don't know why but something feels off.
And I get this feeling with all the games so far.
I seem smaller in VR then I should be.
The driver in GT7 has this tiny body and the cars are way too low even for super car standards and other games I feel too close to the floor like I'm sat down.
The doors in RE8 look a foot too short too
maybe I got something not set right

PanzerCute

Is this true? Any official word on it?
It's not 100% sure no, and nothing official, but there lacks some stuff that should be a no brainer for PSVR2 like mainly foveated rendering. This is still speculation from NMS users I read on reddit, but it feels quite realistic to expect an upgrade in the next weeks.

Hellmaker

I posted this in the GT7 VR DF thread but I'll post it here too
I don't know why but something feels off.
And I get this feeling with all the games so far.
I seem smaller in VR then I should be.
The driver in GT7 has this tiny body and the cars are way too low even for super car standards and other games I feel too close to the floor like I'm sat down.
The doors in RE8 look a foot too short too
maybe I got something not set right
Maybe you have that floor setting wrong and so the character is really small?

naguanatak

Hopefully we get a proper patch this month. Bought the game, I have never played it before, and I think it's gonna be extrarodinary on VR. Tried PSVR2 version but it is tooo blurry for now.
I expect this game to be my "Skyrim VR" where I'll spend more than a hundred hours into it.
I read that here on Gaf somewhere and in r/nomansskythegame, but always rumours, never official information, so for now...I don't believe it. There have to be some compromises to make something like NMS work in VR. The game never really ran well on consoles, but that is entirely subjective, of course. [My GOAT was Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) for a long time, that ran at 16fps a lot of the time. And even though I'm sensitive to that stuff, I don't care about it if the game is fun and catches my attention.]
Of course I hope that the rumours are true and the game will be patched on VR2 and will be a lot sharper.
Experiencing this in VR first must be nice :)

Hellmaker

It's not 100% sure no, and nothing official, but there lacks some stuff that should be a no brainer for PSVR2 like mainly foveated rendering. This is still speculation from NMS users I read on reddit, but it feels quite realistic to expect an upgrade in the next weeks.
Ah ok, would be nice!

PanzerCute

I read that here on Gaf somewhere and in r/nomansskythegame, but always rumours, never official information, so for now...I don't believe it. There have to be some compromises to make something like NMS work in VR. The game never really ran well on consoles, but that is entirely subjective, of course. [My GOAT was Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) for a long time, that ran at 16fps a lot of the time. And even though I'm sensitive to that stuff, I don't care about it if the game is fun and catches my attention.]
Of course I hope that the rumours are true and the game will be patched on VR2 and will be a lot sharper.
Experiencing this in VR first must be nice :)
Yeah I still keep my hopes in check, you are right. But to answer you about compromises: I think that's the whole point of having foveated rendering: you get a much better IQ with almost no impact on performance (according to some devs who worked on PSVR2, like the devs from Song in The Smoke who did an extensive interview about PSVR2 tech :

For now, I just play my other games and hope for a patch, let's see and cross our fingers!

Last edited:

naguanatak

Yeah I still keep my hopes in check, you are right. But to answer you about compromises: I think that's the whole point of having foveated rendering: you get a much better IQ with almost no impact on performance (according to some devs who worked on PSVR2, like the devs from Song in The Smoke who did an extensive interview about PSVR2 tech [...snip...]
Yeah, I understand (as a layman) what foveated rendering is and what it brings to the table, but I'm also a day 1 NMS player and know that most of the time you don't get what you wish for. Hello Games is absolutely incredible imo, but they also take their time and operate on their own terms.
Sean Murray announced shortly after release that he has been building a new cloud rendering tech and that it will change the game significantly... He was right, it did, but to implement it in the public version, it only took about two years :messenger_winking:

PanzerCute

Yeah, I understand (as a layman) what foveated rendering is and what it brings to the table, but I'm also a day 1 NMS player and know that most of the time you don't get what you wish for. Hello Games is absolutely incredible imo, but they also take their time and operate on their own terms.
Sean Murray announced shortly after release that he has been building a new cloud rendering tech and that it will change the game significantly... He was right, it did, but to implement it in the public version, it only took about two years :messenger_winking:
Hey sorry man, I know you know what Foveated rendering is, maybe my post was a bit clumsy (Im a French man, its in my DNA to have a bad english)

And agree on what you say. What a redemption arc for Hello Games when you think about what happened at launch.

Last edited:

naguanatak

Hey sorry man, I know you know what Foveated rendering is, maybe my post was a bit clumsy (Im a French man, its in my DNA to have a bad english)

And agree on what you say. What a redemption arc for Hello Games when you think about what happened at launch.
No worries, I'm not native either...german :messenger_winking:

Absolutely disgusting what happened after launch, but I won't go into it here. I devoured every bit of info after the first reveal at the VGX 2013 and it's still my #1 game since release 2016. playing it in VR is mindbending to me :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Rudius

So it seems there very likely is a layer/coating in play that masks the pixel structure, which (for new readers) I theorized was responsible for the mura grain or SDE artifact everyone complains about, and perhaps explains why the artifact's focal distance appears to be closer than the rest of the image.

Is there a way to see that coating less?

Last edited:
I bought PSVR2 today. My first ever VR experience. Really happy with it so far. Started with the Horizon game. Mind blown sensing the scale of everything and feeling like being next to full size characters. Graphics also great. Then played the tutorial and beginning of REV. Can see it being much scarier this way.

Only negatives is the headset really has to sit right on your head for the image to look its best. And that I was starting to feel exhausted after playing for about 90 minutes.
90 minutes is a long time in VR. Especially if you're playing standing and aren't an active person.

Smooth, any time i'm given the option. I really am not a huge fan of snap turning.

Rob_27

I played a bit of RE village last night with smooth turning on slowest movement and it was making feel a bit off. This is the only game so far.

dorkimoe

I had a link before but cant find it. Does anyone have a link to the VR dictionary thing. I want to fully understand what "snap turning" or "smooth turning" or all that lingo means.

Kupfer

I had a link before but cant find it. Does anyone have a link to the VR dictionary thing. I want to fully understand what "snap turning" or "smooth turning" or all that lingo means.
I don't have a link, but if you think of your view radius as 360 degrees (full turn) and turn smoothly, degree by degree with our joystick, as you would in games on the screen, that's called smooth turning.

Snap turning on the other hand is often an adjustable value of said degrees. With a movement on the joypad the viewing direction jumps directly by the set number of degrees. So you can turn with a "snap" movement on the joystick directly by, for example, 35 degrees.

If possible, I use snap, because it reduces my motionsickness a lot.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member

Smooth turning (like traditional console would have analog movement) is a must for high action games for me, RE8 etc. It was awkward/queasy at first, but now I'm good with it. The game comes at you too fast for snap turning, which takes me longer to figure out where the enemies are and you only have a second or two to react over and over again... I need all those frames between the snapping.

But for slower exploration focused games like Horizon, the snap turning (instantly shifting the POV 20-30 degrees with no frames shown between) *looks* nicer, the re-projection does create ghosting, so smooth turning makes it look blurry.

So it depends on the game for me.

RickSanchez

I just ordered a PSVR2. I have already bought Horizon: Call of the Mountain and Gran Turismo 7. If i could buy only 3 more games right now (which is already stretching my budget), which games would you suggest ?

I am personally considering the below, but suggestions are welcome:
  • Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge
  • Kayak VR Mirage
  • Pistol Whip
And a few months down the line, i would consider Resident Evil Village and No Man's Sky

Last edited:
Top Bottom