• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pluto New Horizons |OT| New images. Pluto/Charon still geologically active

Status
Not open for further replies.

drspeedy

0fHZsvC.jpg

Didn't see this posted yet:
Pluto - Predicted!

C'mon GAF- I think it's fairly obvious that the NASA pictures are fakes. Surprised they didn't have the artist neutralized before they published these arrogant lies, goes to show just how brazen the illuminati have become. Wake up, sheeple! #Trump2016

Who remembers the Voyager 2 flyby of Uranus in 1986 and Neptune in 1989?

Yeah, I was a little kid when these happened. I remember the cameraman was shooting a screen at NASA of the live data coming down, and that first photo of Neptune was...mindblowing.

I get the sense that the public isn't that excited about Pluto. Like, people, we are the first humans to see this planet up close, until we can send something to another system. That's amazing. We are so fortunate to be living during this time. Please be excited.

What's amazing me about this Uranus picture is just the sheer scale of this thing. It's giving me vertigo just looking at this photo, which is a really weird thing to experience. I mean... It's literally just this giant bubble of gas, perfectly round and smooth, just suspended in space.

Seeing Earth from space in person would be incredible, but for some reason, seeing a gas giant like this is just on a whole other level to me. Just imagine flying closer to this thing slowly. Just this bubble floating there, on it's own, nothing holding it up. And eventually it gets so close that it envelopes you.

Imagine a VR setup with a solar system simulator, where kids could stand on Europa or fly past Jupiter. That's one of the most exciting aspects of VR to me, as an educational tool.

I was a kid when those Uranus/Neptune flybys happened but somehow I didn't find out about them until years later. I guess family/friends didn't care much about space so I just never heard about it.

what thrills me is how those planets are gas...

so there's no solid surface in them??

I wonder what keeps the substance or gas glued together, what's at its core that makes the gas stay put.

probably a stupid question but I'd like to know about it

Uranus and Neptune probably both have a rocky core, as well as a mantle of water/ammonia/methane ice. Uranus might even have an ocean of diamonds! The incredible pressure inside the planet could break up the carbon in the methane molecules, and crush it into diamonds.

That said, it's not really the core holding the gas together. It's just how gravity works. All matter (be it solid, liquid, or gas) generates gravity, so when you get enough of that matter together, every little bit of it attracts every other little bit and it clumps up and sticks together. If you have a lot of matter, the balance between gravity and the internal pressure of the object forces it into hydrostatic equilibrium, i.e. a spherical shape; hence planets (even dwarfs!) and stars and the like.

For a bunch of info about Uranus and Neptune, there's this cool video by the ever informative Phil Plait: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hIwD17Crko (he also has episodes about the other planets and other astronomical topics.)

AmyS

Did they ever come up with a theory on why the great red spot goes on?

The great red spot is apparently a massive, MASSIVE storm on Jupiter, like a cyclone, hurricane or typhoon on earth. It's so huge that three earths could fit inside it. But that doesn't actually answer your question about why it goes on.

Log4Girlz

I read an article related to saturn which probably applies to Jupiter's spot, something about lesser bands of speeding gas and lesser storms filtering energy (very specific technical term for gas behavior which eludes me) to specific regions and focusing them into superstorms. For saturn its to the poles, perhaps in Jupiter it is to the area of the red spot (certain conditions need to be met for them to result in Saturn's polar storms which apparently are not met by Jupiter for its poles).

There is! It's not even a theory. Even better. It's a theorem. A result from mathematics. And one of the best named theorems in all of mathematics. The Hairy Ball Theorem. "If you have a hairy ball and you try and comb it, you can never comb it flat."

In better terms, the Hairy Ball Theorem states that anytime you have wind blowing over a spherical surface, there exists at least one point where there is no wind blowing. That is, it's impossible for the wind to blow everywhere. It's possible for the air to be completely still everywhere, but if you allow any movement, you will inevitably get one point where there is no wind blowing. The point is the eye of a cyclone.

Now, the Hairy Ball Theorem doesn't state that Jupiter's big red spot must always exist as it does. Only that there will always be some cyclone going. So, I suppose, in truth, I'm not really answering your question precisely as you asked it, but I think this is an interesting result that's fun to share because it's a theorem from topology that has real world results in a very cool way.

Log4Girlz

I know Boeing and Airbus (which is now focusing its business on the space portion of aero-space) have looked into the auto-mobile business and its mass-production techniques to potentially reduce prices of aircraft...but there are many difficulties involved. God, I wish there was a mass-production system for probes. Like, make a few classes of probes that are good for certain kinds of science then make them like crazy and launch those fuckers into space.

HeySeuss

The great red spot is apparently a massive, MASSIVE storm on Jupiter, like a cyclone, hurricane or typhoon on earth. It's so huge that three earths could fit inside it. But that doesn't actually answer your question about why it goes on.

I know you were only trying to be helpful but I laughed at this way more than I should have. You didn't even begin to answer his question... Lol

Since we have planets with diamond oceans, is it possible for a planet to be made of chocolate like in those old Dairy Queen commercials ?

sono

Its been said before, but the Nasa Eyes App is amazing, you can even choose from other Nasa missions.
You can do flyby simulations, zoom and pan, set various views etc,etc

My favorite has always been Jupiter:

FaorV00.gif

The weather on Jupiter is serious scary, the planet rotates at a constant speed but you have bands of weather adjacent to each other going in opposite directions, the turbulence at the boundaries would be beyond comprehension

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Any chance for the probe to point the camera toward earth and the sun and capture a picture with Pluto and its moons with earth as tiny blue dot?

Playing around with the simulation, it looks like when it goes past Pluto, NH will be pointed towards Earth and Earth should be in the shot. So maybe they will take pictures where Earth so happens to be in the frame.

He means take a picture of Earth from Pluto.

Edit- Something like this:

hiryu2015

Who remembers the Voyager 2 flyby of Uranus in 1986 and Neptune in 1989?
fnoFR5J.jpg

Yea. This image of Neptune was on the cover of Newsweek in September 1989. My dad had the subscription but that particular issue fell into the hands of my older brother and I. We were only 9 and 6 years old but we held onto that mag for years, just astonished of it. It was a huge influence on both of us and we went onto careers in science (he went into geology and I went into biochemistry/medicine).

ruhjf1H.png

It is animated as well. Well done, Google.

That's nice that Google is recognizing the event. I wish it was more widely recognized than it currently is, though. This is history in the making but all people care about are stupid racist flags and Greek debt.

AmyS

Yea. This image of Neptune was on the cover of Newsweek in September 1989. My dad had the subscription but that particular issue fell into the hands of my older brother and I. We were only 9 and 6 years old but we held onto that mag for years, just astonished of it. It was a huge influence on both of us and we went onto careers in science (he went into geology and I went into biochemistry/medicine).

Oh wow, your right. Forgot all about that issue of Newsweek. My aunt had 2 copies of it, my mom and dad got one of them for my brother.

Kerned

Banned
That's nice that Google is recognizing the event. I wish it was more widely recognized than it currently is, though. This is history in the making but all people care about are stupid racist flags and Greek debt.
To be fair, those things are also going to be historically significant, just in different fields.

To be fair, those things are also going to be historically significant, just in different fields.

I suppose you're right. I'm just one of the people who thinks we should focus more on space exploration, preferably before we go extinct due to something we caused.

EDIT: There's a quote I like from an NBC article explaining why this is such a big deal.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/why-nasas-new-horizons-mission-pluto-such-big-deal-n391426

Why? Why should we spend more than $720 million of the taxpayers' money on this far-out trip?

For the science, the promise of an avalanche of new knowledge that will help pave the way needed for humanity's survival — for the day when Earth will no longer support our species, and we have no choice but to leave for new worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom