• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pluto New Horizons |OT| New images. Pluto/Charon still geologically active

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

Hth8MdG.jpg

https://instagram.com/p/5HTXKMoaFL/

jchap

Still think it's crazy we sent something on a 9 year trip just to fly by it. Why not put it into orbit?

Because it would either require a ton more delta v or make the mission 100 years long. Its hard to slow down something going 25 miles a second.

Seanspeed

Banned
Still think it's crazy we sent something on a 9 year trip just to fly by it. Why not put it into orbit?
Its got other things to check out afterwards. They want to go check out some other Kuiper Belt objects.

NH is now 15,000 miles away, which is *really* close. Less than two Earth diameters.

I'm so, so, so, SO EXCITED!

I'm going to use about a thousand calories just from jiggling my feet under the desk. Sorry anyone who's sharing a table with me :)

Bought Universe Sandbox2 after playing with NASA's Eyes for the last few days. The next week or so as they release data is going to be amazing then a long 18 months and counting before the real good stuff is received and decoded.

Aside from the NASA feed any other links/discussions etc? Preferably of the sciencey kind rather than someone explaining why the Plutonians are hiding from NH :)

Log4Girlz

To think we went so very far in such a very long period of time, to finally know what Pluto looked like...and realize we've known since 1979.

Branduil

If that magical no-fuel engine NASA is testing turns out to actually work, how fast would we be able to get another probe to Pluto, and would it make it possible to orbit/land on the surface?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So are we waiting on the four hour delay to say it passed, or in real time and we find out four hours later.

Delay. Nothing is being sent back at the moment. New Horizons is preparing for the flyby and will be too busy during the flyby to send anything. We should get something around 9pm tonight. The rest of the photos and data will start coming in tomorrow.

DarkFlow

Banned
Delay. Nothing is being sent back at the moment. New Horizons is preparing for the flyby and will be too busy during the flyby to send anything. We should get something around 9pm tonight. The rest of the photos and data will start coming in tomorrow.
I see so technically it already started zooming by.

It is 5 minutes away from being the closest it will be.

At the moment, it is 8,000 miles away, which in space terms is incredibly close. Just one Earth diameter.

That seems crazy close, considering the number of times I've flown 5,000 miles in a day. I didn't realize it would be that close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom