• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

Pachael

Just got the Fogbuster and it was initially a pain to fill up. What I ended up doing was upgrading Cairo, which increased its layovers from 20 to 40, making it a little easier to make use of its larger capacity. Cairo is the mid point for my flights, so it gets the most traffic. My flight empire now stretches from Los Angeles to Sydney.

Doing the same, but oh wow at 102k required for upgrade to L2.

I also do aim to have a few large 'hubs' for the C3 planes to fly back and forth from including Cairo.

Just got the Fogbuster and it was initially a pain to fill up. What I ended up doing was upgrading Cairo, which increased its layovers from 20 to 40, making it a little easier to make use of its larger capacity. Cairo is the mid point for my flights, so it gets the most traffic. My flight empire now stretches from Los Angeles to Sydney.

I'll have to upgrade some of my other level 3 cities when I start getting even larger planes.

Most profitable flight so far : $14,886

I totally forgot about upgrading Airports, but then when I come to sell them and move to another part of the world for the new Global Event, seems a waste to do.

I'm currently delivering the Tardis to San Francisco. Awesome

Mista Koo

Started playing it a couple of days ago. I hated how you have America, Europe, Africa, and Japan. Even the Japanese made SCV had Japan as part of Asia (and more importantly had Middle East :>).
I'm currently level 8, started at Europe (Berlin) and moving slowly south and southeast.

Meier

Ooof hanging on to 9th. Only 4k in it. I think Gafair is almost done for after this one.

It seems like everyone but TA's has slowed down. It's funny, I was at Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses the other night and while waiting for the show to start, I was playing Pocket Planes. Dude behind me tapped me on the shoulder and we chatted briefly.

He said he found a random flight crew via Google.. jeffisgames or something? I wonder how many people randomly join crews.

It seems like everyone but TA's has slowed down. It's funny, I was at Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses the other night and while waiting for the show to start, I was playing Pocket Planes. Dude behind me tapped me on the shoulder and we chatted briefly.

He said he found a random flight crew via Google.. jeffisgames or something? I wonder how many people randomly join crews.

You should have asked him to join our cause :p

Lvl 21 now. Woo!

Off to the New York Shipping event :p
UzJiE.png

Meier

So I've been flying to Easter Island.. delivered 11 items there slowly but surely with my Supergopher (nothing else can reach it, right?) but I checked the "Awards" section and it shows me as only at 2% complete of the deliver 100 achievement. :( I wonder if Ian or Dave can weigh in..

I'm connected to Europe via Salvador to Madrid now although only my Pearjet is able to connect. Hope to build Lagos soon.. but it may be too late to do much good on the current challenge.

So I've been flying to Easter Island.. delivered 11 items there slowly but surely with my Supergopher (nothing else can reach it, right?) but I checked the "Awards" section and it shows me as only at 2% complete of the deliver 100 achievement. :( I wonder if Ian or Dave can weigh in..

I'm connected to Europe via Salvador to Madrid now although only my Pearjet is able to connect. Hope to build Lagos soon.. but it may be too late to do much good on the current challenge.

Yes Supergopher is the only plane... I tried with a fully upgraded Mohawk and it wont reach. I'm not going to bother making those 100 trips...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just unlocked the aero eagle. Any tips for smallish fleets of large planes? I have 11 planes and 115k cash. So just enough for one more slot, or expand an airport. My fleet is 3 pearjets, and a mix of birchcraft and Mohawks.

Just unlocked the aero eagle. Any tips for smallish fleets of large planes? I have 11 planes and 115k cash. So just enough for one more slot, or expand an airport. My fleet is 3 pearjets, and a mix of birchcraft and Mohawks.
I initially went with Pearjets, but quickly swapped all of them over to Aeroeagle: at least in my runs, they seem to generate more money even if I don't max out the plane.

Less cities seems to work better with the bigger jets: you can limit the potential cities that people want to go to.

I just hit level 23, and just launched 16/17th plane as class 3 (went with the sequoia)

Looks like 10th group is catching up (or at least accelerating)

FHIZ

Could I get a few general tips for this game? I feel like there's something I'm missing. I'm just going through the motions of sending flights from a to b, getting extra for full flights to one destination. But, like Tiny Towers, I feel like I'm missing that one big point (like putting people in jobs they like) but I can't figure out what, if anything, I'm doing wrong/not as well.

Could I get a few general tips for this game? I feel like there's something I'm missing. I'm just going through the motions of sending flights from a to b, getting extra for full flights to one destination. But, like Tiny Towers, I feel like I'm missing that one big point (like putting people in jobs they like) but I can't figure out what, if anything, I'm doing wrong/not as well.
The idea is to group people together for a destination (not necessary waiting for a certain city to generate enough jobs for the destination), hence, the entire discussion about layovers.

Right now, I have 4 cities (Monterrey <-> Mexico <-> Santiago <-> Buenos Aires). And just now, I added 2 class 3 planes, going between Mexico and Buenos Aires. So now, instead of the long route of Monterrey -> Mexico -> Santiago, I now group them all to Mexico and wait for the travel bonus (and a faster trip, ignoring the wait)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I initially went with Pearjets, but quickly swapped all of them over to Aeroeagle: at least in my runs, they seem to generate more money even if I don't max out the plane.

Less cities seems to work better with the bigger jets: you can limit the potential cities that people want to go to.

I just hit level 23, and just launched 16/17th plane as class 3 (went with the sequoia)

Looks like 10th group is catching up (or at least accelerating)

Thanks. When did you start getting more slots - is 11 ok for level 16? I think I probably expanded a little too much, and the longer range of the new jets means I might close some airports to bring some cash in.

Copycatken

Neo Member
This may have been mentioned already but how is experience gained in the game? Is it through distance or profit? Or is it a combination of both?

Row

Banned

a massive % of the TA score is people who are tagging along for the main prize, given how the system works it's the "smart" thing to do

kinda like how a quarterback rating works in the nfl, the challenge score should have some kind of formula to it so that's it's not just about whichever group has the most members

Thanks. When did you start getting more slots - is 11 ok for level 16? I think I probably expanded a little too much, and the longer range of the new jets means I might close some airports to bring some cash in.
Basically whenever I had extra money, I'd buy. I think I was at around 12 slots at lvl 16. I had burned quite a bit of cash buying cities that ended up getting wasted.

shira

Use the VIP's to quicken the pace with bux.
Less airports is better

This is because of the speed. More speed = more cost = less money.

I also use Aeroeagle as my only 2nd class planes because of this (and Kangaroo as 1st class planes). Is better to get more money, even if your trip is 15 minutes longer, because you won't always be there when the plane arrives.

Less airports is better

It's true, and is a very wrong design problem. The games push you to get more airports (also, growing is the base of that kind of games), but if you have a lot of airports, you diversify the offer, so is more difficult to fill a plane. Nimblebit should be aware of this and find a way to fix it, because people won't continue playing for too long if they don't have the need of leveling and increase the number of airports.

Also, layovers are pointless. They need too much effort and money to bring the goods to the red airports, and you don't get more money. The difference of price between the layovers and the "original" goods of the final airport is because the difference of distance between the airport where the goods are to the ending destination and the distance of the "node" airport to the destination.

But, for example, if I'm in LA and I plan to bring some goods to Tokyo, if I layover goods to LA from other US cities, I'll loose money, because the layover goods to Tokyo will be cheaper (the cities are closer to Tokyo) than the ones that are from LA. Also, layover force you to play continously the game.

Aw man....looks like I have another achievement problem. Transatlantic won't unlock in Game Center even though. The game said I earned it-and I even reset the achievements and did it again! :(

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Anybody knows if the birchcraft (even if upgraded) can fly directly from Barcelona/Berlin/London to NY or Chicago?

It can't, first jet that can do it is the Pearjet at lvl14. (and only when fully upgraded)

FerranMG

Yep, 16, just saw it in a wiki page.

It's funny in this game how at some point you think you are rich because you have plenty of bux (I'm at 170 right now), and the next moment you realize these many bux will get you nowhere when full-upgrading a Pearjet costs you almos half of it, lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is because of the speed. More speed = more cost = less money.

Also, layovers are pointless. They need too much effort and money to bring the goods to the red airports, and you don't get more money. The difference of price between the layovers and the "original" goods of the final airport is because the difference of distance between the airport where the goods are to the ending destination and the distance of the "node" airport to the destination.

But, for example, if I'm in LA and I plan to bring some goods to Tokyo, if I layover goods to LA from other US cities, I'll loose money, because the layover goods to Tokyo will be cheaper (the cities are closer to Tokyo) than the ones that are from LA. Also, layover force you to play continously the game.

can you fudge profits (eg if you're going for a profit acheivement)?

eg sit in Honolulu until you have a ton of Tokyo customers, fly them to shanghai and drop them off so they are layovers. Then load them up with a second plane and take them the short hop to Tokyo. You'll lose a ton of money on the shanghai flight, but because the cost of the Shanghai-Tokyo flight is low, you'll make a huge profit. Does that work?

any tips for South America? Seems a waste to bring everyone up to New york to get across the atlantic - should I build another bridge across to Africa?

strem

We need to finish this event strong. We are flirting with falling out of the top 10. Get those planes in the air people! To Santiago!!!!!!

can you fudge profits (eg if you're going for a profit acheivement)?

Yes, but you do this once, to get the achievement. In the regular gameplay, layover is a mess. If you do it from further away airports, you lose money half of the time, and if you do it from closer airports, you need to buy a lot of "black dotted" airports that will diversify the offer of places, making each time more difficult to fill a plane without layovers.

Yep, 16, just saw it in a wiki page.

It's funny in this game how at some point you think you are rich because you have plenty of bux (I'm at 170 right now), and the next moment you realize these many bux will get you nowhere when full-upgrading a Pearjet costs you almos half of it, lol.

Yeah they soon disappear after spending a lifetime saving them up.

We need to finish this event strong. We are flirting with falling out of the top 10. Get those planes in the air people! To Santiago!!!!!!

We'll keep 9th place. We're 5k ahead which has widened since yesterday. This has been my most successful Global Event with over 1100 jobs, though it did help that Santiago was a Class 2 airport so all my planes can land there and being based solely in the Americas.

Meier

Why not?
I tend to think they are better because you need less of one specific "resource" to fill them up.

I think the game has some sort of algorithm on not giving you jobs you need, haha. I'll sit there forever with 2 passengers and needing the 1 cargo and it just never ends. I picked up a Pearjet mixed that was 3-2 and it's just so friggin slow to fill it up compared to all of one type.

how does the leaderboard thing work? Do you just have to own the airport that the current challenge exists in? and have your group finish in top whatever to win that prize?

I'm bummed about the Transatlantic achievement bug. Does this mean I'm going to need to eventually reset all my achievements when a fix for this is patched?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm trying to do quick jobs by hanging around south America, but there isn't much demand

Last flight coming in. Lands in 8 mins, event ends in 9.

Top Bottom