• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

mrklaw

MrArseFace
no I want to go to the US/Canada first.
birchcraft is not enough.
I wonder if the equinox is better

Wait for level 14, buy expensive pearjet, upgrade range fully.

Or buy Glasgow, Reykjavik, Nuuk and goose bay and go around (note that these are class 1 airports so you can only fly through them with class 1 planes). You can do that now, Mohawk/airvans are good for that

Well I think I'm about done with the game now. I've had a real blast playing it solidly for a whole week. It's really fun and really addictive but I think I've reached the end game point with it now. It's been great helping out as a team too. One of the best parts of the game.

Here's where I'm ending up. Stretched from San Fran to Tokyo:

2wMzl.png

I'll stick around for a bit, might see what happens on the next Global event to maybe help out but I'm pretty much done.

I think it might be good to help you guys out to if I can, scrap my parts and gift them to folk. I have 1 Pearjet and 2 Aeroeagle, 5 Birtchcraft and 3 Equinox.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well I think I'm about done with the game now. I've had a real blast playing it solidly for a whole week. It's really fun and really addictive but I think I've reached the end game point with it now. It's been great helping out as a team too. One of the best parts of the game.

Here's where I'm ending up. Stretched from San Fran to Tokyo:

I'll stick around for a bit, might see what happens on the next Global event to maybe help out but I'm pretty much done.

I think it might be good to help you guys out to if I can, scrap my parts and gift them to folk. I have 1 Pearjet and 2 Aeroeagle, 5 Birtchcraft and 3 Equinox.

Wouldn't mind an aeroeagle if you have one spare :) game center ID is 'mr klaw'. Cheers. Still working towards Tokyo

Hypereides

Gold Member
People in this thread were theorizing that the next step in this series (if it is a series) would be space travel, but does anyone else think it'd be cool if they integrated the initial Train concept, perhaps cross-breeding it with this app (either as a separate app, or an in-app purchase, or a huge free update)?

You could basically switch "views" (from airports to train stations), and wind up chaining trips so you could have a guy start out in Munich, fly to New York, take a train to New Jersey, fly to California, take a train to Colorado, etc...

Of course the natural progression after that would be Pocket Planes -> Tiny Trains -> Teensy-Weensy Wheelchair Assistance

Thats a pretty sweet idea.

While youre at it, after trains they could do a international ship concept.

Managing stuff like; shipping cargos across the atlantic, bringing passengers on a cruise, greenpeace-ish ships to explore the climate balance and sea life, send larger archiological ships onto deep sea/treasure operations or dig for secret ship wrecks for rare material, create outer sea stations/oil rigs or even send fishing boats to catch seafood and sell it. As a defence there could be anti-pirate ships to hinder hijacking and such.

In the end, Nimblebit could create multi traffic sim expansions. Trains, Airplanes, Space travel. and ships. All small or larger expansions.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Did the achievement reset because it wasn't registering anymore, feelsbadman. Hopefully there won't be any issues while I'm re-earning them.

Hige

Transatlantic achievement still doesn't register after resetting. :( I tried resetting a second time, but it just doesn't unlock.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Transatlantic achievement still doesn't register after resetting. :( I tried resetting a second time, but it just doesn't unlock.
Ffffff, you're right, I got the pop-up again and no dice, still not registered in the list. Sigh.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Edit: when did the app store stop asking for a password when you update multiple apps?

It's always allowed you to download multiple updates without re-entering your password if you do it within 15 minutes. Same thing when you buy apps, the app caches your password for 15 minutes or until you terminate the app from memory via the dock.

iOS 6 won't ask for your password at all when you update apps.

Meier

I have 1 Pearjet and 1 Equinox. Pearjet allows for some really big numbers but it's so damn expensive due to its fuel costs.. it's almost not worth flying unless you have at least 3-4 and obviously preferably 5. I kind of shuttle back and forth between Tehran and Mumbai in hopes of getting enough to fly to Paris. The Equinox is a nice balance since it only requires 3 for the bonus. Have not purchased a Birchcraft yet.

PJ001: 4 H, 29 M flight time, average profit per hour of 4,194
EQ001: 13 H, 57 M flight time, average profit per hour of 2,576

The Pearjet is definitely a money maker, but it involves a bit more micro-managing/sitting and waiting.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just got my first pearjet. I might just use it as a fast Atlantic bridge rather than try and fill it for long trips. I can close 4 airports (goose bay, Nuuk, Reykjavik, Glasgow), which lets me expand east quickly, but then I'd probably need at least two pearjets (one P, one C) and it might be a bottleneck. If you're patient, I think you'd get more profit per flight with a Mohawk or similar. Just not more profit per hour.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When is the 25% bonus applied? Eg if I have a birchcraft in Los Angeles, and 1 passenger going to Tokyo, if I fly him from LA-NY, I get no flight bonus. But if I then fly him from NY-Tokyo in a plane full of other Tokyo passengers, I still get the 25% bonus, based on whatever their starting fares were?

I'm wondering whether to scrap my vans or my birchcraft. Birchcraft are fast but need more passengers to fill. And they can't land at smaller airports. Maybe birchcraft for US which has plenty of blue/red, but keep some class 1 planes for Europe which has a lot of class 1 airports with decent populations

The 25% bonus is applied whenever you fill up your entire plane (minimum 2 passengers) with people and/or cargo all going to the exact same destination.

So if you fill up a 2 seat plane with one dude and one box going to New York, you'll get 25% bonus on each.

If you fill up a 6 seat plane with five dudes going to New York, and one dude going to Philadelphia, there will be no bonus.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The 25% bonus is applied whenever you fill up your entire plane (minimum 2 passengers) with people and/or cargo all going to the exact same destination.

So if you fill up a 2 seat plane with one dude and one box going to New York, you'll get 25% bonus on each.

If you fill up a 6 seat plane with five dudes going to New York, and one dude going to Philadelphia, there will be no bonus.

Sure, but what about broken journeys when you use layovers?

Eg, two seat plane flying from LA to new York with one passenger that wants to go to Boston. 1,000 price. No bonus because plane isn't full. So I drop him at new York, and collect another passenger that is going to Boston (paying 100). Plane is now full. I get 25% on the full 1000 fare of the LA guy right? That fare follows him wherever.

Sure, but what about broken journeys when you use layovers?

Eg, two seat plane flying from LA to new York with one passenger that wants to go to Boston. 1,000 price. No bonus because plane isn't full. So I drop him at new York, and collect another passenger that is going to Boston (paying 100). Plane is now full. I get 25% on the full 1000 fare of the LA guy right? That fare follows him wherever.

Yep, that's how it works.

In other news, reached level 16 and unlocked the Aeroeagle. Here's a comparison of their trips:

7424785268_12502c8d19.jpg

The Aeroeagle goes from LA to Beijing along the red line, carrying six passengers. The Kangaroo goes from LA to Beijing but has to follow the much longer green line most of the way, and carries only four passengers. Guess which one makes the most profit?

Neither, they're about the same. I can make more trips in the Aeroeagle but it really feels like the balance in this is totally messed up. Bigger planes hardly feel worth it for the extra work they take to fill. I'm done now.

Chopper

Neither, they're about the same. I can make more trips in the Aeroeagle but it really feels like the balance in this is totally messed up. Bigger planes hardly feel worth it for the extra work they take to fill. I'm done now.
This is a big problem, and is the reason I haven't bothered playing the last couple of days.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Someone tell me if I'm playing this right. I'm basically just loading what can make me the most money and flying. I've bought like 3 airports, but that's all I keep doing. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Aeroeagle goes from LA to Beijing along the red line, carrying six passengers. The Kangaroo goes from LA to Beijing but has to follow the much longer green line most of the way, and carries only four passengers. Guess which one makes the most profit?

I'm at a crossroads. I just expanded to Tokyo, but only pearjets can reach, as I go Delhi-Tokyo. What I was looking forward to as I approached level 14, was to shut down my north circle airports, as I could go direct across the Atlantic now, and use the spare capacity to expand in Asia or south america. But tbh I'm fairly happy with Mohawks doing the long routes. Easier to fill up 3 seats quickly compared to 5, don't need any fancy laying over and shuffling, just sit them in LA/Seattle and wait for 3 customers to Tehran etc. set them off and leave it.

The only negative I can think of is range, I'd need a few more airports along the way to reach Tokyo with a mohawk. But the big planes feel a bit tricky to manage efficiently

Meier

I do feel like they'll need to do something to tweak some of the later planes. Having to wait 20-30 minutes to make flying a plane worthwhile is a little frustrating.

anyone else who is afraid to start downloading OSX games. I have an Iphone 4s but have downloaded no games. Im afraid that if I go down this route it will lead to bad things. this game sounds bizzaare. i really,, really want to try that adventure game. sword and ... sword and something.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How do you get dollars besides buying and the random passenger? I have bought 3 new airports but am not even close to getting a new plane.

Meier

Found a replicatable bug for Dave and Ian. If you are browsing costumes for your pilot and the plane lands while at that screen, the game will crash when you try to buy one. Happened two times in a row for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How do you get dollars besides buying and the random passenger? I have bought 3 new airports but am not even close to getting a new plane.

Longer distances and larger airports help. If you are willing to sacrifice profit for Bux, you can earn them pretty quickly.

What counts for global events, number of fights or xp/profit? Eg is it better to set up a Santiago-cordoba with a plane going back and forth, or do fewer long flights like Tokyo-santiago? I would expect the latter to encourage people to level up, but I don't know.

Since its close enough: how the hell do I hit Easter island on a class 1 plane? Mohawk doesn't reach it from Santaigo

Edit: found it: Supergopher + 1 fuel upgrade will just do the trick.

I think I'm pretty close to being finished with this game already, which is unfortunate.

Since I've expanded my fleet and opened airports across the pond, my profits have actually gone down and the amount of work I have to do has gone up. Perhaps I'm not playing the "right way", but it feels like too much of a chore to come back to it.

Maybe if there was more of a reason to play... perhaps the chance to get a unique character/pilot, or plane decal or something, but all there is is more bucks and more coins, and ultimately it doesn't amount to much of anything.

Fun ride while it lasted and I played the hell out of it the past few days, but shame it didn't last a week for me. It was cool that there was much more playtime early on compared to Tiny Tower, but that pace never really cooled off, which led to the overload.

I'll still play the next NB game though.

Top Bottom