• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Planes |OT| ...and don't call me Shirley (iOS, Universal) #GAFAIR crew

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think I'm pretty close to being finished with this game already, which is unfortunate.

Since I've expanded my fleet and opened airports across the pond, my profits have actually gone down and the amount of work I have to do has gone up. Perhaps I'm not playing the "right way", but it feels like too much of a chore to come back to it.

Maybe if there was more of a reason to play... perhaps the chance to get a unique character/pilot, or plane decal or something, but all there is is more bucks and more coins, and ultimately it doesn't amount to much of anything.

Fun ride while it lasted and I played the hell out of it the past few days, but shame it didn't last a week for me. It was cool that there was much more playtime early on compared to Tiny Tower, but that pace never really cooled off, which led to the overload.

I'll still play the next NB game though.

If you follow the plane upgrade arms race, you'll need to feed bigger planes with smaller planes, and the work can go up, as you need to manage layovers etc.

Or, you can keep relatively small planes (Mohawk is good) and have longer end to end journeys. Smaller capacity means easier to fill, and slower means more time between attention. A flight between tokyo-LA is a couple of hours. You might need to wait a couple of job refreshes, but no micro management needed unless you want it.

Row

Banned
If you follow the plane upgrade arms race, you'll need to feed bigger planes with smaller planes, and the work can go up, as you need to manage layovers etc.

Or, you can keep relatively small planes (Mohawk is good) and have longer end to end journeys. Smaller capacity means easier to fill, and slower means more time between attention. A flight between tokyo-LA is a couple of hours. You might need to wait a couple of job refreshes, but no micro management needed unless you want it.

problem is that's incredibly tedious and boring, with little reward except a bit more cash

Coldsnap

What's the best way to participate in the GAFAIR? For casablanca I had to shut down 3 of my airports in US to open 3 over there. It was a pain because I was getting jobs around Casablanca in my airports across the shore... Now that the other challenge is up it now seems like i should close airports in cassablanca and open up near challenge. Seems like theres a better way to do this.

Scarecrow

How do you get rewards from being in Gafair? I've been in the group since the game's been out, but haven't gotten any prizes from any events.

F-Pina

Bug on the rewards system.

I just got my reward on the last event, played for a few minutes then exited.
The next time i restarted the game I got the same reward again. This has happened more than 10 times now. I don't want to take advantage of this bug but letting the iPhone go to sleep is enough to make it trigger again.

Not only I am swimming in Bux I can now also build 3 Hueys with all the parts I got...

Pretty much just operating in The Americas now. Flights are taking a lot longer so I'm not so hands on anymore.

I got the reward twice, though I only noticed by the fact I had 2 Huey parts.

I think I might grind to Lvl 20, buy the new plane whilst enjoying the run of helping Team Gaf and then close it down.

Edit - My route:

Ocvq6.png

Tweaks which I think would be worth while:

Larger planes, and I mean the huge ones need to stop using the 1 passenger space = 1t weight average, why would I upgrade from a 12 seater to a 14 when it adds 2t, really to make longer bigger flights much better weight should be like 1 seat = 0.8t so you get more pay for huge planes.

Doing the blue objectives at this point you just do 5 then wait out for cash, with TA being top the other teams seem to just float around up and down the top 10, a small change would be to make blue flights worth 25% more before the all fights to the same location bonus, which would raise that to 50%.

I have a lot of 4 space planes right now and use 3 space ones to land at class 1 airports, it's getting slow and tedious to grow my army of planes and branching out is just a matter of which direction you feel like going in or for the blue mission if you can reach it.

Anybody getting the glitch where you go into the market and then go back to the view of your planes or whatever, but it still thinks you're in the market? This has happened to me like three times.

I accidentally left my I-pad at work yesterday and won't get back on wi-fi until tonight. I wonder if I will get any rewards for the last challenge or I'm SOL? I was close to breaching the top ten too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I accidentally left my I-pad at work yesterday and won't get back on wi-fi until tonight. I wonder if I will get any rewards for the last challenge or I'm SOL? I was close to breaching the top ten too.

You should be fine. And still plenty of time for this challenge. We need all the help we can get, we're in 8th right now

Are people leaving GAFAIR for the more successful teams? Seems they keep going up and everyone else goes down.
My bet, yes, that, and that we're getting a higher attrition rate on this game compared to other sites that have a higher iOS adoption rate.

I'm still holding first on it, oddly, while converting my operation entirely around class 2 (Lvl 20, running 15 class 2 planes Monterrey <-> Mexico <-> Santiago <-> Buenos Aires) My flight number has been dropping, but revenue and miles have skyrocketed...

Meier

Dang, Mohawk can't reach Easter Island from Santiago.. fully upgraded, it's about 5 miles too short or so (shows up on the outer ring but not eligible). :(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Taking me FOREVER to make money in this game. :p

I have bought about 4 shitty airports and each time it takes a long take to recoup the 9000 or whatever. Upgraded my planes' range a bit and built 1 new plane, but everything is so expensive. Don't see how I'll ever have 50,000 for the big airports.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Taking me FOREVER to make money in this game. :p

I have bought about 4 shitty airports and each time it takes a long take to recoup the 9000 or whatever. Upgraded my planes' range a bit and built 1 new plane, but everything is so expensive. Don't see how I'll ever have 50,000 for the big airports.

Once you have a good long-range route going (such as Europe-NA), you'll rack in about 3k per flight with a +25% 4 seater, then it'll go faster ;) took me until like level 9/10 too though until the money started flowing better

Also, looks like everyone, not just in GAFair, is abandoning ship to join TA and just rack in those 1st place bux, NimbleBit will have to do sth about that... seems weird and not working as intended.

udivision

There seems to be an issue (exploitable for massive bux) with how it rewards you bux for challenges... has something like this been mentioned yet?

Row

Banned
There seems to be an issue (exploitable for massive bux) with how it rewards you bux for challenges... has something like this been mentioned yet?

given how beneficial it is, I doubt people want to say too much about it

last challenge kept rewarding me every time I checked in on the game and it loaded up my gamecenter id, got like 300 bux total and a bunch of huey parts before it worked itself out

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are people leaving GAFAIR for the more successful teams? Seems they keep going up and everyone else goes down.

I guess, or just playing less - the activity in this thread has dropped off a cliff.

It's a shame - there isn't much difference in prizes for the top ten vs the winner, and GAF was a pretty safe top ten bet

tanuki

So a friend of mine playing the game was on Lvl 14 when her game suddenly reset and now she's back at square one. Obviously not very happy about it. Is her save game lost forever?

hylje

So a friend of mine playing the game was on Lvl 14 when her game suddenly reset and now she's back at square one. Obviously not very happy about it. Is her save game lost forever?

If there is backup of the iDevice, then it should be there.

I didn't get my reward for the last event! Aren't there a couple posters here that work for Nimblebit?

I think I might have got yours, cause I got mine twice ;)

I'm actually enjoying it again now, where it became a bit stale doing Casablana. I'm closing in on Lvl 20. I think because I'm not constantly playing it now, so it's nice when you get the alert to tell you a planes come in and do a bit, leave it. Repeat.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Once you have a good long-range route going (such as Europe-NA), you'll rack in about 3k per flight with a +25% 4 seater, then it'll go faster ;) took me until like level 9/10 too though until the money started flowing better

Yeah, I just don't know how I'll ever be able to afford one of those long routes, nor a plane that can fly that far. My planes now barely make it from my Japan base into China. :p

I get about 150-400 a trip with like 6 planes. Been saving up all weekend just so I can buy another small airport.

Game is fun, just takes forever to get anywhere.

Yeah, I just don't know how I'll ever be able to afford one of those long routes, nor a plane that can fly that far. My planes now barely make it from my Japan base into China. :p

I get about 150-400 a trip with like 6 planes. Been saving up all weekend just so I can buy another small airport.

Game is fun, just takes forever to get anywhere.

Yeah it's pretty slow at first but once you start getting some better planes and more money per flight it gets a nice steady pace.

Just bought the Fogbuster (8 seater) and lost 5k on it's maiden voyage lol. Though to be fair it was packing 12 Bux as well as going to 3 different destinations. Be nice to see how much a 25% bonus would rake me in. It's 30 Bux a part/upgrade this beauty. Ouch!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah it's pretty slow at first but once you start getting some better planes and more money per flight it gets a nice steady pace.

Just bought the Fogbuster (8 seater) and lost 5k on it's maiden voyage lol. Though to be fair it was packing 12 Bux as well as going to 3 different destinations. Be nice to see how much a 25% bonus would rake me in. It's 30 Bux a part/upgrade this beauty. Ouch!

Ouch indeed, that's more than double the pearjet which was expensive enough.

Deadly cyclone, what planes do you have? You can go anywhere with enough airports. Airvans are a great class 1 plane - decent range, speed and not too expensive. That'll see you through to level 10 easy (maybe a couple of mohawks when they become available). Always try and fill a flight with the same destination to get a bonus, and grab Bux customers to earn Bux for more planes. It'll pick up pretty soon

Meier

I have been disappointed with Easter Island. Once I hit level 17 I can connect to South America via Madrid with my class 2 planes.. I was trying to use a Supergopher to get the Easter Island achievement but getting return flights to Santiago has been ridiculously rare. I'll cycle through 4-5 times without cargo for Santiago popping up. :(

Just leveled up, time to add another South American city!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's why you'd use layovers.

Or just use two 4-seater planes, for a much easier time with no less profit.

But then you have to factor in the cost of an extra plane - the slots get bloody expensive as you level up. I've had 11 planes for ages because I don't want to spend 111,000 on a new slot. Don't have that much either - keep spending it on airports

Was thinking about going to the Fogbuster as my next plane. I guess I'll pass now.

Edit: We're struggling to keep 9th...

Mine says we are 8th, is that old?

Vilifier

Neo Member
Just got the Fogbuster and it was initially a pain to fill up. What I ended up doing was upgrading Cairo, which increased its layovers from 20 to 40, making it a little easier to make use of its larger capacity. Cairo is the mid point for my flights, so it gets the most traffic. My flight empire now stretches from Los Angeles to Sydney.

I'll have to upgrade some of my other level 3 cities when I start getting even larger planes.

Most profitable flight so far : $14,886

But then you have to factor in the cost of an extra plane - the slots get bloody expensive as you level up. I've had 11 planes for ages because I don't want to spend 111,000 on a new slot. Don't have that much either - keep spending it on airports

Mine says we are 8th, is that old?
Mines says 9th now:

7 - 16998
8 - 9606
9 - 9531 - #GAFAIR
10 - 4957

Row

Banned
It's ridiculous how expensive a new plane slot is, 111k for a 12th? good god

Before I realized that my plan was to have each region have it's own little hub and color coordinate and name the planes dedicated to that region, with the class 3 planes being the international wing. Then I'd consider my game "complete", but again with slots looking like they double in cost every time getting 12 let alone 20+ is a huge chore

It's ridiculous how expensive a new plane slot is, 111k for a 12th? good god

Before I realized that my plan was to have each region have it's own little hub and color coordinate and name the planes dedicated to that region, with the class 3 planes being the international wing. Then I'd consider my game "complete", but again with slots looking like they double in cost every time getting 12 let alone 20+ is a huge chore
I'm waiting for plane 17: 728,525. Now mind you, I think just today, I've been generating 600K with 15 Class 2 planes...

Top Bottom