• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

mclem

Agon's an odd little beast, which might account for the awkwardness of finding the earlier titles. It was *intended* to be the first big episodic venture for adventure gaming, but it sort of fell apart after the third chapter only to be reimagined into standalone releases after that.

Zarf on Agon 1-3
Zarf on Agon 4

Edit: I notice his comments on 4 tie in quite nicely with my discussion over the weekend over in the Dreamfall thread on the perils of excessive dialogue in adventure games.

Tizoc

Thanks for the link mate, seems Ep. 4 is 50-50, and the review for the first 3 makes the series promising...I'll give some time to think about it. If I end up getting Ep. 4 from GMG, I'll grab the first 3 from that site I linked to when they go on sale for like $10.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys. Just finished Beneath A Steel Sky and it was good. Not sure which one I'll try next. Perhaps the Blackwell Bundle...

LiK

Thanks again for the suggestions guys. Just finished Beneath A Steel Sky and it was good. Not sure which one I'll try next. Perhaps the Blackwell Bundle...

play the Blackwell games in order. they're awesome and not too long. i marathoned through them. so good.

1. Legacy
2. Unbound
3. Convergence
4. Deception

:)))

Gemini Rue testers required for iOS versions.

We need some more iOS testers to play Gemini Rue!

Apple only gives us a limited number of slots for testers, so please only reply if you really intend to play the game and report back.

If you want to help us test, drop us a line BY EMAIL (http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/email.html - don't respond on this FB thread) and tell us the device you want to test on.

We would particularly like to hear from iPad mini owners, as we haven't tested the game on the iPad Mini yet.

Thanks!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
15 years LTTP: finally beat Year Two of Grim Fandango! Now I'm a sea captain. Awesome.

Glad to see Gemini Rue's iPad port coming along. I've come to the conclusion that adventure gaming on the iPad is the ideal way to play.

nny

Unfortunate news:

Amanita (Machinarium), Daedalic (Deponia, The Whispered World, A New Beginning and Edna & Harvey: The Breakout) and Colibri (The Tiny Bang Story) have written an open letter denouncing that Lace Mamba (British publisher that released physical editions of the games) has not been paying royalties.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Unfortunate news:

Amanita (Machinarium), Daedalic (Deponia, The Whispered World, A New Beginning and Edna & Harvey: The Breakout) and Colibri (The Tiny Bang Story) have written an open letter denouncing that Lace Mamba (British publisher that released physical editions of the games) has not been paying royalties.

Man, that really blows. Hopefully they end up getting the money they're entitled to.

Fjordson

The Journey Down Ch. 1 is on sale now (Steam)

Yay or Nay? I hate episodic content but this one looks decent...
Yay I think. I absolutely loved it. The world they create just in that first episode is pretty amazing.

I feel you on episodic stuff, though. It's been a while since I finished the first chapter and there's still no release date in sight for chapter 2. Sucks when when there's such a huge gap like that =[

That format problem side, what they have so far is pretty great I think.

i'm a big fan. really felt inspired by grim fandango.

Welp, and since i never got to play that ( own the original disc version but it's such a pain to get it to run properly on modern systems) this might just be the closest thing to it nowadays! Is a continuation guaranteed or unclear still?

Fjordson

Welp, and since i never got to play that ( own the original disc version but it's such a pain to get it to run properly on modern systems) this might just be the closest thing to it nowadays! Is a continuation guaranteed or unclear still?
Guaranteed for sure, just taking a while.

They were recently working on finishing up stuff for chapter one (Steam release, iOS version, etc.) but they're working on getting chapter 2 out now that that's all done.

nny

Josef has arrived!

Here he can barely contain his excitement for finding a walkthrough that'll solve all his problems:
DSC08291_zps4d2b1168.jpg

Detail of the box:

"Family" photo:

Josef has arrived!

Here he can barely contain his excitement for finding a walkthrough that'll solve all his problems:

Detail of the box:

"Family" photo:

Yeah, I got mine about a week or so ago. Love the sticker they put on the box.

Mata Hari, Alter Ego, Black Mirror 2 and 3 are available for purchase @$4:
http://store.indiegala.com/index.php/the-alter-ego-bundle.html

How's Black Mirror series? Are they horror genre?

I've always wanted to play the Black Mirror games but the first one doesn't work on Windows 7/Vista, if I'm remembering right. And I don't want to play the other two without playing the first.

Yeah, I got mine about a week or so ago. Love the sticker they put on the box.

I've always wanted to play the Black Mirror games but the first one doesn't work on Windows 7/Vista, if I'm remembering right. And I don't want to play the other two without playing the first.

I've had no issues playing Black Mirror on w7.

And yes they're horror, and they're all pretty fantastic. The second and third are really pretty games, background artwork is fantastic. Highly recommended games.

And yes they're horror, and they're all pretty fantastic. The second and third are really pretty games, background artwork is fantastic. Highly recommended games.

Did you have to do anything special to get it to run? Last time I searched I saw people talking about how it wouldn't work on 7.

Berto

Only played the first one, it's not scary or anything like that, but yeah it's classic horror, a lot of themes and scenery are very remeniscent of the Universal horror classics. Some puzzles are a bit obtuse though and the voice acting is atrocious. It has a clever although predictable twist. All in all it's a good adventure.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Welp, and since i never got to play that ( own the original disc version but it's such a pain to get it to run properly on modern systems)

i'm going through Grim Fandango right now and while there are quite a bit of bugs you need to deal with, it's totally worth the ride. best PnC i've played and i'm only 50% through.

Only played the first one, it's not scary or anything like that, but yeah it's classic horror, a lot of themes and scenery are very remeniscent of the Universal horror classics. Some puzzles are a bit obtuse though and the voice acting is atrocious. It has a clever although predictable twist. All in all it's a good adventure.

So bad it's good voice acting. Such a damn good series. Highly recommended.

Also I didn't do anything special with my install to get it to run. I got a copy from Gamersgate and it was good to go.

I was able to play the first game up to a point on Win7 x64, but found that certain lines of dialogue were glitchy and crashed the game. Sometimes I could just skip them but then I reached an unskippable one and couldn't get any further. Googling revealed that the problem wasn't unique to me, but no solution.

Might have been something specific to the Gamersgate version. I was playing it for free through their VOID program so I wasn't that mad.

play the Blackwell games in order. they're awesome and not too long. i marathoned through them. so good.

1. Legacy
2. Unbound
3. Convergence
4. Deception

:)))

Just finished these! They are really good, sticks with you never was bored I'm a big fan of it's retro look too.

Anybody know how I can play Grim Fandango? It's been on my must play adventure game list for quite some time, any help on that front would be appreciated.

Anybody know how I can play Grim Fandango? It's been on my must play adventure game list for quite some time, any help on that front would be appreciated.

http://residualvm.org/

That's the most reliable way. The link jon bones gave has never worked for me, and I last played Grim Fandango with an older version of Residual and experienced only a single crash. Since then, an improved version has been released.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Mata Hari, Alter Ego, Black Mirror 2 and 3 are available for purchase @$4:
http://store.indiegala.com/index.php/the-alter-ego-bundle.html

Jesus christ thats robbery. I have the Black Mirror double pack retail release and already have alter ego. Black Mirror games seem great. Ive only played a bit of 2 but they look beautiful and are said to be very long and atmospheric. And yeah you visit spooky locations and such.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Got in the mood for some point & clicking so I thought about replaying DoTT or CoMI, but after installing ScummVM on the laptop I realised there are some (well, more then some) unplayed games in my library.
So I started one of those; Beneath A Steel Sky.

Great Scott, this is great! I love Cyberpunk <3

Ledsen

Got in the mood for some point & clicking so I thought about replaying DoTT or CoMI, but after installing ScummVM on the laptop I realised there are some (well, more then some) unplayed games in my library.
So I started one of those; Beneath A Steel Sky.

Great Scott, this is great! I love Cyberpunk <3

You... haven't played BASS?

:O

One of my top-3 adventure games ever. Maybe even my favorite one. Such a masterpiece.

Midou

I thought this might be a good place to ask. With Dreamfall Chapters I ended up putting off my replay of The Longest Journey, and Syberia 3 has some likelyhood as of late, so I was putting off replaying those too.

Are there any adventure games that closely resemble either of those, old or new? I'm still going through adventure games I've missed over the years. What really strikes me in those is the really atmospheric environments and detail in the 2D backgrounds.

Does anything fit that general description? Though I can't seem to get into Myst sort of games.

Unrelatedly, I was looking at a couple of FMV games to check out too, like Gabriel Knight: Beast Within and Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, but have those aged well? Particularly I know GK:BW is a sequel, but I couldn't get into the first game, would it be necessary to play it? Should I try harder?

Unrelatedly, I was looking at a couple of FMV games to check out too, like Gabriel Knight: Beast Within and Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, but have those aged well? Particularly I know GK:BW is a sequel, but I couldn't get into the first game, would it be necessary to play it? Should I try harder?

I feel like Beast Within still holds up well but that's far from a unanimous opinion. Tim Curry played Gabriel great in the first game and I think Dean Erickson did a damn good job in the sequel. There is some corniness in the game but overall I think it's a fantastic sequel. Much better than the third game as well. As for the first game, I'd give it another chance but if you're really not feeling then just read up on what happened. I think the story is engaging, and despite its graphics, I can still get fully immersed into the world. I also love Leah Remini as Grace. She's just not the same in the other two games.

wazoo

BM 2/3 are made by a different team, the guys behind MataHari and also Indy3/4...

Top Bottom