• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

I just beat Alter-Ego which I enjoyed more then I thought, is it better or worse if you played this game.

I'd say comparable, in that you may have the same experience. The VA is definitely bad; but that's an issue with MANY adventure games these days so you become accustom to it. For that price you will get an average game. I liked Alter Ego more simply for the setting. The atmosphere was a bit more dense/gloomy which I appreciate more; but the AOM games are nice if you like Still Life/Post Mortem/Murder mysteries.

statham

I'd say comparable, in that you may have the same experience. The VA is definitely bad; but that's an issue with MANY adventure games these days so you become accustom to it. For that price you will get an average game. I liked Alter Ego more simply for the setting. The atmosphere was a bit more dense/gloomy which I appreciate more; but the AOM games are nice if you like Still Life/Post Mortem/Murder mysteries.
yep, that my style, still-life is probably my favorite adventure. okay I'll try it $2.50 ain't much.

Tizoc

Any iOS point & click fans in here should check out The Silent Age. I loved it. Very atmospheric and also free.

Only downside is that it's episodic. They're already partially finished with episode 2, but it seems like they're depending on donations to conitnue development? I don't know, a little confusing. Either way, definitely one to keep an eye on. First episode is really good.

http://thesilentage.com/blog/category/the-silent-age/

I got it the other day and have played it. Its really interesting, but I am now stuck at Chapter 4 XP Could someone just help me with getting past this current area please?
I have the hook and the lighter, what must I do now?

I have some games on Adventureshop that I can't find anywhere else, specifically Benoit Sokals Paradise, but Amazon/Gamersgate have added most of the other games I bought from there since. Paradise is a great game. Adventureshop does have some unique titles though, and sometimes will run bundle deals and sales. I stick to Gamersgate though, as they seem more future-proof and have almost the same selection.

Their games appear to be DRM-free, but thanks for the feedback, feel comfortable now in buying stuff from them when they have sales haha.
I will check Amazon too tho in regards to any titles I want to buy from there~

Nice, will check them out, but Black Miror 2 and 3 were for $1 on Indie Gala but sadly my card was not accepeted on Google nor Paypal ;.;

Tizoc

Anyone played any of these games and can give impressions about them please?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00893LOIC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
XIII: Identity Lost
Surprised they made an advnenture game based on it

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00893NM4Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Blake and Mortimer
Heard of the comic series only, and i like the comic book style they're going with in here

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JF4KKC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Cursed Mountain

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00895AP1M/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Sinking Island

wazoo

Sinking island is good, it is made by the team behind Syberia, at least the designer is the same, Benoit sokal.

Cursed Mountain, it is a wii game, not sure about its quality.

the first two are just proofs that we are on earth to suffer.

wazoo

How many games are there in the Ankh series? Steam seems to have 2 and 3, but there seem to be 2 other Ankh games as well.
This site has Ankh 1-3
http://us-adventureshop.gamesplanet.com/buy-download-pc-games/Ankh-Trilogy-2345-44.html

...but Gamersgate also has these:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ANKHRTC/ankh-reverse-the-curse
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ANKHTLT/ankh-the-lost-treasures

For that matter, has anyone bought from Adventureshop before? They're prices are quite high for certain titles o_O

reverse the curse is the first one.
Lost Treasures is the 4th one (and a different kind, I think).

If you like their games, check Jack Keane (1 and 2 is coming) or Haunted or Venetica.

Tizoc

Sinking island is good, it is made by the team behind Syberia, at least the designer is the same, Benoit sokal.

Cursed Mountain, it is a wii game, not sure about its quality.

the first two are just proofs that we are on earth to suffer.

lol, will get Sinking Island then, thanks mate~

Tizoc

Heads up guys! StrongBad's CGfAP is in the current Indie Royale bundle!
http://www.indieroyale.com/
This is the CHEAPEST you could ever get the game for steam for XP.

BTW Red Johnson 1 is $5 on US PSN~
Oh hey seems to come with a Steam code, Desura code and what appears to be a DRM-free installer, wicked~

A Vampire Story: Year One kickstarter should be going up someime next week. Team is just putting finishing touches to kickstarter video, will put a link up when it goes live.

Juice

Hi friends, my wife & I are looking for a new adventure game with a *really great story*. Engaging graphics are a plus. Really prefer something more like interactive fiction vs. a challenge or a pixel hunt.

Any recommendations? Really, anything that came out on PC the last year or two is fair game. We haven't played much (other than Walking Dead).

Halp!

mclem

Hi friends, my wife & I are looking for a new adventure game with a *really great story*. Engaging graphics are a plus. Really prefer something more like interactive fiction vs. a challenge or a pixel hunt.

Any recommendations? Really, anything that came out on PC the last year or two is fair game. We haven't played much (other than Walking Dead).

Halp!

Off the top of my head, adventures with stories I particularly enjoyed:

The Longest Journey
Broken Sword I/II
Grim Fandango
The Dig
Full Throttle
Gabriel Knight

One I've *not* played, but is probably the best answer possible here is The Last Express. I've seen a lot of people go nuts over it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Halp!

Broken Sword 1 & 2 seems great for a husband/wife to play together. Great story, charming characters, not too challenging.

Juice

Off the top of my head, adventures with stories I particularly enjoyed:

The Longest Journey
Broken Sword I/II
Grim Fandango
The Dig
Full Throttle
Gabriel Knight

One I've *not* played, but is probably the best answer possible here is The Last Express. I've seen a lot of people go nuts over it.

I really need better graphics to keep her engaged. Anything more recent?

mclem

Better graphics than The Longest Journey? Or is it more that you need dynamic 3D graphics, really? Dreamfall - the sequel to TLJ - might do the trick, but, well, if you're going to play a sequel, you probably ought to play the first :)

Try The Book of Unwritten Tales. It's a gorgeous looking game and really good too.

Although come to think of it, I wouldn't say it's story is top of the line. It's still a really charming game though so definitely try the demo or something.

You could also try the Special Edition remakes of Monkey Island 1 and 2.

Try the Runaway games.

These are all worth the price; some worth more than others. Especially the Black Mirror games. Pick these up people!

My favorites from that list are Darkness Within (especially if you like Lovecraft) and Post Mortem (prequel to Still life).

Pulled the trigger on the Blackwell Bundle yesterday. Played through the first one in a single sitting and loved the hell out of it. PnC-Gaf has not let me down yet with suggestions. Thanks again guys!

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.

Halp!

Sam & Max Season 1 or 3 :)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The engine Asylum is being developed with, Dagon, has been open sourced.

Dagon is a game engine especially tailored for adventure games and based on open technologies. Featuring a deceptively simple scripting language, blazing fast performance and high portability supporting Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X, the project aims to become a referendum of the genre.

Hopefully it will lead to many more great indie adventure games, like a 3D AGS.

jerry113

Banned

Halp!

To The Moon sounds like it will fit the bill. Its a brief but poignant story.

Fjordson

Pulled the trigger on the Blackwell Bundle yesterday. Played through the first one in a single sitting and loved the hell out of it. PnC-Gaf has not let me down yet with suggestions. Thanks again guys!
Good call. The Blackwell games are fantastic. Really all of the games Wadjet Eye's put out are worth playing.

Yeah, we loved it. Looking for more like that.

Do you two like sci-fi? If so check out the text adventure games CYPHER, and JULIA. Sounds like maybe you're looking for something different if To The Moon is something reminiscent of what you're after.

As I mentioned the Runaway games are great too.

Syberia games are fantastic but a bit older. The Ankh series, Jack Keane, Captain Morgane... Reperfection volume 1, Kentucky Route Zero for something more Lynchian/weird.

There's a lot of great adventure games out there for all tastes, Adventuregamers.com is a great resource.

epmode

And the first game is by far the weakest in the series! Great games for sure.

One thing that I love about the first game is the music. It's a lot more electronic-y than the later stuff and I thought it worked well. I figured the more moody instrumental stuff was going to be limited to the second game (since it's a flashback) but they kept the style.

angelfly

Does anyone know of any adventure games with branching paths? Been curious for a while if any existed. Also I picked up both Deponia games off GOG today. Hoping to play through both this week.

Fjordson

And the first game is by far the weakest in the series! Great games for sure.

One thing that I love about the first game is the music. It's a lot more electronic-y than the later stuff and I thought it worked well. I figured the more moody instrumental stuff was going to be limited to the second game (since it's a flashback) but they kept the style.
The OST is really cool in the first game. Some of the later jazzy stuff is nice as well.

Speaking of Blackwell, I need to play the fourth game soon before the next one is out this fall. I love the initial trilogy, but I've just never gotten around to playing Deception.

I hope this does not come across as too much of a shameless plug, but I figured this is on topic. (if not, please remove)

I just turned my personal page into a point a click adventure! For many years, I have been keeping a page where I’d list some info about me and occasionally update my blog. This made the format somewhat cold and impersonal.

I figured the solution would be to make it into a point & click.
fbpreview.jpg

You can find it at http://www.raminibar.com.
It's inspired by the Scumm Bar in Monkey Island, and things in my life. I hope you like it!

I love it! Very creative!

Ledsen

I hope this does not come across as too much of a shameless plug, but I figured this is on topic. (if not, please remove)

I just turned my personal page into a point a click adventure! For many years, I have been keeping a page where I’d list some info about me and occasionally update my blog. This made the format somewhat cold and impersonal.

I figured the solution would be to make it into a point & click.

You can find it at http://www.raminibar.com.
It's inspired by the Scumm Bar in Monkey Island, and things in my life. I hope you like it!

The only thing that works on that page in Firefox seems to be the Twitter and LinkedIn links.
edit: Wait, now it works for some reason. Very cool!

Halp!

Have you tried Dear Esther? Kentucky Route Zero?

iuhQ0hPOBMqsB.gif

Gorgeous graphics on both games, and more interactive fiction than much puzzles. Similar ghost story feel.

Top Bottom