• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

szaromir

Banned
Please do excuse my double post, but To the moon is the daily deal at Steam today~

Also, grabbing Sanitarium from gog. I don't like horror games, but I'll go with GAF's recommendation on this one ;)
It's not a horror game, more like psychedelic?

EDIT: Anyone played The Experiment? It's on sale at Gamersgate:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-112/the-experiment-112

I've actually been playing it recently and working on a review. Might as well post it now, though I haven't finished the game (I'm close though):

"The Experiment" isn't a particularly good adventure game, but it has some interesting ideas that give it an immersive world and an intricately told story, with a unique spin on what it means to be an adventure game player. In the hands of a better interface and gameplay design, it could be a stellar game. But it's not without its frustrations.

The game centers around Lea Nichols, a scientist who wakes up aboard the research station at sea where she'd been working, to find that the ship seems to be deserted and things must have gone a bit haywire, and she needs to find out exactly what and how she can get off the ship. It's a familiar adventure premise but it works well here, and the unfolding story is interesting, if a little surreal.

What makes this game so interesting is that you don't control Lea directly; rather, you control the ship's surveillance system which is able to monitor up to 3 different cameras independently, as well as operate the ship's systems and functions and access the ship's database. You're in the role of the benevolent watchman or hacker, able to see what's going on from a safe distance and manipulate the systems to help Lea, without communicating with her directly. Lea talks directly to the camera and tells you what she needs you to do, and you guide Lea around the ship by activating objects on the overhead map, which makes Lea move to anything that lights up. This sounds a bit abstract and it takes some getting used to at first, but it works. It also eliminates pixel-hunting, because you know that everything Lea can interact with is marked on the map.

You also spend a fair amount of time reading through the other employees' notes and emails, which fill out most of the backstory. Every employee has a password that you need to find, but it's easier than you might think to find them because almost everyone on the station had a deep distrust of one another, leading most of them to try to hack each other's passwords and pass them around. In many cases, finding one person's password reveals three of the other employees'. No wonder things went to shit. The emails also suffer from being obviously translated from another language--it's not incomprehensible at all, but there's a stilted and uniform quality to the writing that takes you out of the story a little.

The camera system is interesting and adds a feeling of voyeurism and power over the game, but it's clunky. It's often difficult to get your bearings, especially when entering a new room, and find and position a camera pointing at the thing you want to look at. Some cameras will automatically track Lea or focus on important objects, but there's far more manual manipulation than is enjoyable. Also, every camera window is independently sized and movable, which is good in that you can customize the interface to your liking, but bad in that it means you're essentially moving windows around a lot.

The game is severely hurt by several boneheaded design decisions. Lea is an abominably slow walker, for one, and while there isn't much backtracking, when there is it's agonizing. Another is the inclusion of some bizarrely obtuse sequences, such as a frustrating late game sequence in which you navigate a bathysphere underwater through narrow corridors using rotational controls. Doing this with a first-person camera would be hard enough; doing it mainly by looking through the handful of stationary cameras dotting the passage is worse. Thankfully there's no way to die (although Leah will incessantly warn you that the sphere is about to collapse) but it completely stops the game in its tracks. Plus, on my first run I got the thing stuck in a wall 20 minutes in, necessitating a reload.

If you're patient and willing to put up with a clunky interface and some frustrating puzzle sequences, then I think this game has enough interesting elements and a compelling (albeit weird) story to be worth $5.

Some screenshots:
5400958E06818A9ECBEFA7C28637EB91606E8C52

Finished The Longest Journey (totally worth all the hype and ages well), now 3 hours into Dreamfall. Man that combat is so fucking weird, but liked the stealth bit going past the security spider. Still loving all the characters, world, and plot.

I've actually been playing it recently and working on a review. Might as well post it now, though I haven't finished the game (I'm close though):

"The Experiment" isn't a particularly good adventure game, but it has some interesting ideas that give it an immersive world and an intricately told story, with a unique spin on what it means to be an adventure game player. In the hands of a better interface and gameplay design, it could be a stellar game. But it's not without its frustrations.

If you're patient and willing to put up with a clunky interface and some frustrating puzzle sequences, then I think this game has enough interesting elements and a compelling (albeit weird) story to be worth $5.

Some screenshots:

Thanks for the really detailed impressions! Might put that on a wishlist and try out when there's a drought.

km3k

Neo Member
Well... it's a REALLY short game; you can finish it in half of an hour if you don't get stuck (or five minutes if you already known the solution of the puzzles) and its story is just a prologue to Lumino City. Do you the maths.

I really liked it, but it is true that it's very short. I got it as part of an Indie Royale bundle. I think the current price of $2.79 is worth it.

Is Lumino City what they used to call Lume 2? I found this website for it and it looks that way. Really nice looking teaser trailer for Lumino City too. http://www.stateofplaygames.com/work/lumino-city/ Maybe Lumino City should be added to the OP. I think it is supposed to be coming out this year when I last looked into this game in the fall.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Just finished Beneath A Steel Sky. Brilliant! What a gem. :D
Did use a walktrough twice, though. Felt really stupid at the first.
Needed to use a card to open the "old lock" at base level. Second time was just before the ending. I knew I needed to get some tissue after hacking the pc with the virus, just didn't know how. Tried everything, really thought I should use the bolt cutter. Didn't work though. Completely stuck.

Eventually, the walkthrough said I missed one frigging pixel next to the box with the human-like tissue :')

Anyhow, great game. The atmosphere and world they created are amazing :)

nny

New bundle with Mata Hari and Whispered World, among others.

Just finished Beneath A Steel Sky. Brilliant! What a gem. :D
Did use a walktrough twice, though. Felt really stupid at the first.
Needed to use a card to open the "old lock" at base level. Second time was just before the ending. I knew I needed to get some tissue after hacking the pc with the virus, just didn't know how. Tried everything, really thought I should use the bolt cutter. Didn't work though. Completely stuck.

Eventually, the walkthrough said I missed one frigging pixel next to the box with the human-like tissue :')

Anyhow, great game. The atmosphere and world they created are amazing :)

It's one of my all-time favorites! Give Primordia a try, it gave me strong BASS vibes.

Always nice to see some iOS love, Voodoo from Ayramen.

TRAILER

Voodoo is our first production. Point & click game, with deaths.

Player must help the doll to solve puzzles and riddles to move through the different levels, avoiding deadly dangers.

Game still in development, released in 2013 for iOS.

AYRAMEN
Independent game developer.
Founded in 2010. Seville, Spaiin.
We’re currently 3 people: Abraham Rojo, Flavio Díaz, Miguel García.

Also a new Kickstarter, mentioned this game on first page.

Mage's Initiation $65k goal.

Mage's Initiation is a Role-Playing / Adventure Game hybrid, very similar in style and execution to Sierra On-Line's classic Point-&-Click Quest for Glory and King's Quest series. It maintains all the charm of classic and timeless adventure games of yesteryear while adding 21st century innovation to the mix - like multiple game interfaces, and a free-range magical combat system!

We're all very big fans of the adventure genre here at Himalaya Studios, and we feel that Sierra's games really hit their peak in the early 90s. We're working hard to provide a nostalgic experience, reminiscent of that golden era of 2D Sierra adventures circa 1993-1994.

Mage's Initiation has a medieval / fantasy setting and it features multiple playable character classes, spell-casting, and an open-field magical combat system, complete with equippable items and monster loot drops!

-GJ-

One of my friends is looking for an old point & click game. Old being released about 15-20 years ago. It took place in Cairo/Egypt and it was about a group of students who were solving puzzels. He thinks it was a whole series but he isn't sure.

Back to the Future on sale over at gamersgate.com-
http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-BTTFG/back-to-the-future-the-game-bundle
use the code eldergeek.com to get a small extra discount to get it for $6
This also offers the Mac ver.

Can I activate this on Steam?

Tizoc

One of my friends is looking for an old point & click game. Old being released about 15-20 years ago. It took place in Cairo/Egypt and it was about a group of students who were solving puzzels. He thinks it was a whole series but he isn't sure.

Can I activate this on Steam?

Doesn't look like it, the non-Mac versions use SecuRom.

Ever since finishing The Walking Dead I have been wanting to play more games of this genre. Thanks for the thread OP, and everyone contributing.

Maybe one of the TKKG games? I only played one but and I know most of them are German only but it's the only series I can think of off the top of my head that fits the description (and I'm a massive point-and-click nerd).

Tizoc

So here's something that'll get me a lot of flak, but I'm posting it anyway-

The Resident Evil series, at least 1-Code Veronica, have elements of Adventure/Point n' Click games in them.

The Resident Evil series, at least 1-Code Veronica, have elements of Adventure/Point n' Click games in them.

Yeah, the item gathering and puzzle solving definitely gives it traditional adventure game qualities.

Edit: I had to think about it a minute to see what you mean but you got my earlier reply, haha.

Tizoc

I'm interested in reading why you think that.

I admit it's a wierd thing to say, but I was thinking about it recently; say you remove, or ignore the tank controls, you keep in the combat and such- mostly in the classics you'd explore areas to find items in order to advnace in the game. Granted there are other games that may have similar concept before RE, but I think one of the reasons I thought that up was to ease myself into playing the series (my brother mainly played them) by making it look like an Adventure game, where you find items to solve puzzles, etc.

"Ithaka of the Clouds" crowd funding has begun!
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/334915/

It's the next game by Jonas Kyratzes (creator of The Sea Will Claim Everything) which also takes place in the Lands of Dream.

I wish I could scrounge together $300 for a custom physical edition of the game.

Awesome, I've been waiting for this to start. Definitely donating something to it as The Sea Will Claim Everything was my personal game of the year for 2012. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Tizoc

How many games are there in the Ankh series? Steam seems to have 2 and 3, but there seem to be 2 other Ankh games as well.
This site has Ankh 1-3
http://us-adventureshop.gamesplanet.com/buy-download-pc-games/Ankh-Trilogy-2345-44.html

...but Gamersgate also has these:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ANKHRTC/ankh-reverse-the-curse
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ANKHTLT/ankh-the-lost-treasures

For that matter, has anyone bought from Adventureshop before? They're prices are quite high for certain titles o_O

SOME-MIST

I might actually bite that $300 reward tier since TSWCE was my GOTY 2012 too, and I told myself I'd do nearly anything for a physical copy of that or any of his games.

probably will use paypal bill me later and pay it off :p

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Anyone interested in a Desura code for The Cat Lady? :)

mclem

No-one should give you any flack for that, it's absolutely correct. The "arcade adventure" model has dated back to the days of Magic Knight, Dizzy (Yes, 8-4, Dizzy has as much in common with Resident Evil as it does with Mario!) and dozens of minor releases; adventure gameplay with explore with skill-based obstacles to basic traversal.

mclem

^Hmm are the Dizzy games available anywhere for purchase or downloading?

Codies are one of the few companies who've clamped down hard on the distribution of even their Spectrum software, so other than the recent remake, not really.

Edit: David Jones - the guy behind the Magic Knight games - seems to have allowed distribution on World of Spectrum, and I'd strongly recommend those - although Finders Keepers isn't quite as advanced as the later titles, the triple of Spellbound, Knight Tyme and Stormbringer are great. Knight Tyme being personally my favourite.

Euan Law

Neo Member
The 39 Steps looks promising. Will it be a full fledged adventure?

I've been working on The Thirty Nine Steps for the past couple months and it's not a point and click adventure. It has some of the same elements such as explore sections where you can look round a room and interact with things in it: newspapers, people, maps etc but largely it's a combination of artwork, voice acting and animation. You play through it rather than play it.

The best way to describe it is to direct you to our website where we have a bunch a section on digital adaptions (our name for what we are making) and some elements of the title.

http://thestorymechanics.com/digital-adaptations/
http://thestorymechanics.com/

Euan

Fjordson

Any iOS point & click fans in here should check out The Silent Age. I loved it. Very atmospheric and also free.

Only downside is that it's episodic. They're already partially finished with episode 2, but it seems like they're depending on donations to conitnue development? I don't know, a little confusing. Either way, definitely one to keep an eye on. First episode is really good.

http://thesilentage.com/blog/category/the-silent-age/

@ $2.48 I almost pulled the trigger but after watching some videos, the voice acting is really bad.

VA is bad yes, but they're not bad if you're into PnC.
How many games are there in the Ankh series? Steam seems to have 2 and 3, but there seem to be 2 other Ankh games as well.
This site has Ankh 1-3
http://us-adventureshop.gamesplanet.com/buy-download-pc-games/Ankh-Trilogy-2345-44.html

...but Gamersgate also has these:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ANKHRTC/ankh-reverse-the-curse
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ANKHTLT/ankh-the-lost-treasures

For that matter, has anyone bought from Adventureshop before? They're prices are quite high for certain titles o_O

I have some games on Adventureshop that I can't find anywhere else, specifically Benoit Sokals Paradise, but Amazon/Gamersgate have added most of the other games I bought from there since. Paradise is a great game. Adventureshop does have some unique titles though, and sometimes will run bundle deals and sales. I stick to Gamersgate though, as they seem more future-proof and have almost the same selection.

Top Bottom