• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Return to Mysterious Island is on sale over at Gamersgate-
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RTMI/return-to-mysterious-island
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RTMI2/return-to-mysterious-island-2

Anyone played them, and can share their impressions about them please?

Decent games, as with all Kheops games (I especially love their historical games like Secret of da Vinci and Noatradamus). Unfortunately Kheops is no more after last year's closing. Pick them up though. Also check out their Dracula 3 game. That is a great one with a cool ending (talking about branching paths).

Tizoc

New Bundle Stars indie bundle is up!
New indie bundle

http://www.bundlestars.com/

$1.25+

• Tiny Troopers (Steam)
  • Airport Control Sim (Desura)

~$5+

• Darkness Within (Desura)
  • Darkness Within 2 (Desura)
  • Adam's venture (Steam)
  • Adam's Venture 2 (Steam)
  • Armada 2526 (Desura)
  • Firefighter (Desura)
  • Mystery Title #1 (Desura)
  • Mystery Title #2 (Steam)

Wondering why Armada doesn't include a Steam key...

Guess because it's not the gold edition or something. Seems to be a shitty bundle. BTA totally not worth it; Adam's Venture games are among the worst games I've ever played.

How're the Adam's Venture games? If they're good I'll get it and prob. give away Darkness Within since I don't like horror games that much XP.

New Bundle Stars indie bundle is up!

How're the Adam's Venture games? If they're good I'll get it and prob. give away Darkness Within since I don't like horror games that much XP.

Adam Venture games are decent. Lower production quality compared to Uncharted but the stories feel like it. They run on UE3, so they look halfway decent. Adam is a snarky, witty (sometimes cheesy) character. God damn for this price you shouldn't give any of these away. Darkness Within isn't so much a horror game as a thriller/detective game. Slow-burn, some puzzles, document investigation. Such a great series, especially if you are into Lovecraftian literature.

Kyari

Gemini Rue should (hopefully) launch on iOS soon, looks like it was submitted for approval today. I don't know how long that process tends to take though.

Fester Mudd is available : https://replaygamesinc.com/store/index/products/item/fester-mudd-curse-of-the-gold#

For those who don't know what it is, it's a cute point & click from Replay Games, the dudes behind the remake of Leisure Suit Larry, it features an interface similar to the one of Day of the Tentacles, here's a trailer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgU2zK2ttkc

I have no idea if the game is good or not though.

Looks pretty cool, will check it out. Thanks for posting about it.

Fester Mudd is available : https://replaygamesinc.com/store/index/products/item/fester-mudd-curse-of-the-gold#

For those who don't know what it is, it's a cute point & click from Replay Games, the dudes behind the remake of Leisure Suit Larry, it features an interface similar to the one of Day of the Tentacles, here's a trailer :

That looks like Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist: http://youtu.be/ow33gh2Otco

wouwie

There was an interesting article on Daedalic going fully international and expanding to more platforms on Venturebeat.

They plan to release 4 titles simultaneous worldwide in 2013 (including The night of the Rabbit and a new Dark Eye game) and they will bring over their entire inhouse catalogue to iOS and Android (within the next 6 to 9 months) and some games to PS3 and Xbox.

I'm not a big fan of Daedalic adventure games (i have to admint that i only played Whispered World and A New Beginning though) since i think they look fantastic but lack soul/humor/character/story/... However, i'd definately be interested in buying these games for iOS on iPad. Since i sit in front of a computer all day at work, i have lost motivation for sitting in front of my computer in the evening/week-end to play adventure games. In that sense, i'd love to try them out on a tablet.

Seems Dadelic is doing good business.

There was an interesting article on Daedalic going fully international and expanding to more platforms on Venturebeat.

They plan to release 4 titles simultaneous worldwide in 2013 (including The night of the Rabbit and a new Dark Eye game) and they will bring over their entire inhouse catalogue to iOS and Android (within the next 6 to 9 months) and some games to PS3 and Xbox.

I'm not a big fan of Daedalic adventure games (i have to admint that i only played Whispered World and A New Beginning though) since i think they look fantastic but lack soul/humor/character/story/... However, i'd definately be interested in buying these games for iOS on iPad. Since i sit in front of a computer all day at work, i have lost motivation for sitting in front of my computer in the evening/week-end to play adventure games. In that sense, i'd love to try them out on a tablet.

Seems Dadelic is doing good business.

Hopefully their going "fully international" means investing more resources and talent in their localizations. That is by far their biggest shortcoming as a developer and they need to address it if they are to expand their market worldwide.

Also... anyone played Fester Mudd yet? Waiting on some reviews and impressions before I bite.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is this a good place to pimp Year Walk some more? It's a fantastic adventure/puzzle/horror game for iOS. My personal game of the year so far:

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/year-walk/id555916407?mt=8
Here's a necessary companion app, which you should start reading after you complete the game:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/year-walk-companion/id597879895?mt=8
(or if you read it before playing the game, at least don't read beyond the first page)

Wohoo! Trailer looked great for this :)
I just checked, you can buy it for Windows, Mac or Linux. Not sure why they just wouldn't give you all three version, but at least it works on all three.

So I finished Fester Mudd episode one. It's pretty good, but a bit short (about 5 hours)and a bit on the easy side (well, it's a modern game). I definitely recommend it if you're nostalgic about the old Lucas Arts games and the old Larry and Space Quest games from Sierra. It's a nice point & click with a nice sense of humour. I wish there were more games like that.

SOME-MIST

I know I already posted about it, but if you're a fan of Jonas Kyratzes work, please help fund Ithaka of the Clouds!! I donated (the 2nd person) to the $300 tier, but I won't be able to get my reward if it isn't funded :(

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ithaka-of-the-clouds
jonas kyratzes is the guy behind the sea will claim everything, and the other lands of dream installments. though it's more text-heavy than puzzle-heavy, the games are very intelligent, humorous, and enjoyable.

Tizoc

Well...I have finished Ep. 4 of Walking Dead, gonna finish the last ep. tomorrow
All in all Telltale's best Adventure game yet IMO and kudos for getting the PS3 ver. to run at a good frame rate. Graphics wise they're really good.
I do have a few questions regarding the early episodes
Can I save both Shawn and Duck at the start?
Likewise can I save both Doug and Carley?
Can I prevent Carley from dieing in Ep. 3?

Some time ago, the first chapter of Reversion was released for free. The second chapter has been released recently, and is currently 50% off (2,50€).

Thanks for the heads up, will grab it later today =

Hofmann

Gorogoa is the best not your typical Point n Click game I played in years. Can't wait for the full release.

scr_grid1_400.png

So I finished Fester Mudd episode one. It's pretty good, but a bit short (about 5 hours)and a bit on the easy side (well, it's a modern game). I definitely recommend it if you're nostalgic about the old Lucas Arts games and the old Larry and Space Quest games from Sierra. It's a nice point & click with a nice sense of humour. I wish there were more games like that.

Sounds great, thanks for the impressions.

edit: Well this is annoying. I registered on the dev's web site over 10 minutes ago but I still haven't received the confirmation email. I want to play this game now!

edit #2: I suspect there might be a problem with their server. I tried registering with multiple email accounts, checked my spam folder, waited awhile... I just don't receive the confirmation email needed to activate my account.

edit #3: Bought the game from getgamesgo.com instead.

edit #4: Downloading the game from getgamesgo.com at under 10 k per second... fuck my life.

nny

Well...I have finished Ep. 4 of Walking Dead, gonna finish the last ep. tomorrow
All in all Telltale's best Adventure game yet IMO and kudos for getting the PS3 ver. to run at a good frame rate. Graphics wise they're really good.
I do have a few questions regarding the early episodes
Can I save both Shawn and Duck at the start?
Likewise can I save both Doug and Carley?
Can I prevent Carley from dieing in Ep. 3?

I also recently played through Walking Dead, what a great experience.
Shawn dies irrespective of your choices; the consequences of your decision are in the group dynamics - whether Duck's parents are grateful or not to you;
Regarding Doug and Carley, one dies in the end of Ep. 1 and the other in Ep. 3 - there's nothing you can do about it. Basically, by saving one of them on Ep. 1 you are only deciding the order in which they die.
I hope these answers don't sour your impression of the game, because much of the decisions give you the illusion of choice rather than being real choices.

Enjoy Ep. 5! I don't know how you are able to leave it for tomorrow - I found it very hard to stop playing until I saw the whole story! ;P

Tizoc

^My will is strong! Plus I have a backlog of sorts =P
I've been playing as such the past few days also:
1 Ep. of Walking Dead
1 World of Bit.Trip Runner2
Play some Ni no Kuni

After I beat WD, I'll jump into Red Johnson's Chronicles, will prob. play it twice to get all Trophies~

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How do you pay on Replay Games website (they're the only ones selling Fester Mudd, that I can see). Can you pay through PayPal or what other service are they using?

Fjordson

Why is Fester Mudd only being sold there? I could have sworn it got through the Steam Greenlight process.

edit: never mind, get it never actually got through.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Why is Fester Mudd only being sold there? I could have sworn it got through the Steam Greenlight process.

edit: never mind, get it never actually got through.
I think it's still waiting to be greenlit, but I don't mind, it's even better like this, as it's completely DRM free if you buy it from this website. However I'd rather not leave CC number to some company I've never even heard of before. That's why I hope they accept PayPal or something proven like that.

Fjordson

Yeah, that's how I'm feeling. I'm sure I'll cave eventually, though.

Little off-topic, but that reminds me of how annoying Steam Greenlight can be in my opinion (and how developers have said as much in the past).

Doomshine

I just got a Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller 30% off season upgrade discount code from IndieGameStand for buying the first episode there.

It was in my junk mail so keep an eye out for it if you bought it too.

Tizoc

Just bought the season pass today myself~

Is there any way to get the VGA/remakes of Space Quest 1 aside from buying it the SQ collection on Steam?

epmode

I don't think any one store sells it separately. Blame Activision I guess.

But at least Activision sells their back catalog! Damn you, Lucasarts :(

inm8num2

Any opinions on the Telltale games (BttF, Sam & Max Seasons 1 & 2) which are on the GOG promo?

I played BttF episode 1 when Telltale offered it free on their site. It was enjoyable enough from what I remember.

But opinions about Telltale seem to be highly polarized. Some like their gameplay in these titles, others find it way too simplified and easy.

What do the adventure veterans think? Worth it at $5 for each season?

Tizoc

Red Johnson 1 and 2 are now 3.19 Pounds on EU PSN, which amounts to $5. I'll grab the 2nd game since it's $10 on US PSN last I checked.

Red Johnson 1 and 2 are now 3.19 Pounds on EU PSN, which amounts to $5. I'll grab the 2nd game since it's $10 on US PSN last I checked.

These games are actually on PC now; but not that cheap. They also don't really benefit from things like higher resolution; not sure if they were built in scaleform or flash or what. But still, much easier to play on PC with the mouse.

Yo, you should play Papers, Please. You play as an immigration inspector who controls the flow of immigrants and whether they're welcome to the fictional Arstotzka. Cold War Berlin atmosphere. Free beta right now.

jEOjmwFxctK72.jpg

ibyWjlJPqlZ6BA.gif

My impressions reposted from indie games thread:

Impressions:
Papers, Please

What's great is the moral dilemma dealt to you through gameplay.
i62MYQ7S9SXQy.jpg

You've got a family to take care of, so you don't want to make any mistakes and have enough money to feed or keep them warm. So you've got to get more people accepted in the opening hours you're alloted (time goes really fucking fast). But it's hard to quickly snipe issues with if the person's passport hasn't expired, is from Arstotzka on first day, is it the right issuing city (which is the longest mental hurdle to cross-reference unless if you can memorise more than 20+ city names), whether they have the entry ticket later on and right date on that, and a few more things to worry about.

You can make 2 mistakes without penalities to your salary, so you can excuse a few people.

It's the usual risk/reward in games taken to a more disturbing level. It puts you into an uncomfortable position. I wonder if actual border officers gamify their jobs to keep that emotional distance for trying to take care of themselves and loved ones.
ibcjlHNBWZQqgH.jpg

The terrorist attack
was shocking, and how that affects gameplay.

szaromir

Banned
The person who quotes me first and has participated in this thread at least once will get a Steam key for Resonance.

I'll try Papers, Please tomorrow :)

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
The person who quotes me first and has participated in this thread at least once will get a Steam key for Resonance.

Nvm, I actually went and bought the Wadjet Eye bundle above, so please give it to someone else :)

wazoo

These games are actually on PC now; but not that cheap. They also don't really benefit from things like higher resolution; not sure if they were built in scaleform or flash or what. But still, much easier to play on PC with the mouse.

In fact, they are this week end on sale at Gamersgate, DRM free.

Not as cheap, but you will be able to keep them.

mannerbot

I'm a bit surprised I haven't posted in this thread yet, but does pitching in for Double Fine Adventure and Dreamfall Chapters count as participating? :p

szaromir

Banned
I'm a bit surprised I haven't posted in this thread yet, but does pitching in for Double Fine Adventure and Dreamfall Chapters count as participating? :p

Good enough. I just want to give it to someone who will actually play it. Too many people get those keys without ever touching the game. Check your PM.

Top Bottom