• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Hey guys, just finished the first chapter of Fester Mudd. Thought it was a really fun little game and I'm looking forward to the other chapters coming out.

It was pretty easy, but I quite like that as it makes me feel smart. Although I did get stuck for about 20 mins at...

Bud's shack. It was totally obvious that I wanted to get in through the chimney, but for some reason I never tried just "USE TREE". I was trying all different things with the string, rope and shovel. Then I thought I had to stick to broom from the shop in the hole, and started trying to buy it/steal it. Doh! You should always try the straightforward approach first in these types of game!

More than happy to hand my money over to people making these classic point and clickers. The world needs more of them! A couple of neat references I got too:

If you try and pick up Buds painting in the shack he says "I'd rather have a buffalo take a diarrhea dump in my ear". Reference to the AVGN theme song.

Reference to Breaking Bad in the Doug Store! If you look at the methamphetamine tincture Doug says a retired chemistry teacher in Alberqueque makes the stuff!

Tizoc

So I just beat Red Johnson's Chronicles today, and here are my impressions of it, based on the PS3 version:
First off the game is quite short; 5-6 hours to beat it if you're not rushing it. There's a trophy for beating it in under 2 Hours too. For $5 I'd say it'd be worth it if you could ever find it for that price (it's $5 on US PSN atm).

Graphics-wise it's looks really nice, character models are pretty good, but there's really not much to say about the backgrounds and the areas you explore.

Gameplay-wise, the game has potentiel but...
When I was at the first area, I was snuck by a QTE. Johnson is approached by a friend of his from behind and you react to his surprise arrival with some inputs which you gotta do real fast. The last part of the first QTE is doing a high five...which I failed =P Now normally this shouldn't be a big issue, but here's where I lost a lot of interest in the game: If you fail a QTE, YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN.

I dunno how the creators of this game ever thought this was a good idea, and just to take it further, there are parts in the game where you need to answer questions to get clues in order to advance. If you have say 10 questions, and you fail even 1 you gotta start all over.

Now every time you finish a QTE or solve a puzzle, or answer question sets correctly, you get $, which you spend to get hints for solving puzzles, etc.
Here's where the potentiel lies: Instead of $ make it points, if you do well in puzzles, QTEs or in answering questions you get higher points and this could've worked in the form of leaderboards or such.

Sadly the way the game handles it just made me skip most of the story and dialog. Had they implemented what I wrote above or just didn't make it so penalizing I would've enjoyed the game much more.

I got RJ2 from EU PSN for an equilvaent of $5 as well, which I'll start tomorrow. Hope I like it more >_<.

Tizoc

Red Johnson 2 had less QTEs than the first but is overall...better I'd say.
The game was made by French devs and the English translation seemed a little wonky, but overall good.

I expect there to be a 3rd game, so hopefully in this one they remove the QTEs completely @_@.

All in all I'd say if you can get both games for $10-15 it'd be worth it. Series has some really good character models and the visual presentation is nice albeit...needing more color lol.

BluWacky

Announced yesterday that Face Noir is finally being localized into English.
Phoenix Online Studios (Cognition/The Silver Lining) will be coordinating voice overs and smoothing out the rough edges as well as publishing the English version of Face Noir this summer.
http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/23707

Just thought I'd mention in connection with this that I finished part 2 of Cognition yesterday.

There's something irritatingly slow about the way the Cognition games move. I notice it with a lot of adventure games with 3D characters (not all, but a lot), but Erica seems to move veeeeery slowly at times. Alongside the cutscenes where sometimes the dialogue is skippable but sometimes not, actually playing the games can be a little frustrating.

Which is a shame, because there are some half decent puzzles and story elements. I don't think the voice acting is as terrible as one of the reviews I read suggested but I guess it's not brilliant.

Although... big spoilery speculation, but
I assume that Cordelia is, or is at least closely connected to, the Cain Killer? She has issues about the death of her brother (part of the Cain Killer's MO), and is presumably the woman who disguised herself as Tess and abducted Sully.

SOME-MIST

the fact that Doug TenNapel is making another claymation point and click adventure is amazing - it's the best news I've heard this year. I'm a huge fan of claymation and The Neverhood is the first game to actually get me into the genre..

easily my most anticipated game of 2013 (that is.. if it's released this year). Just saw the thread and I'm dyin'

Hi friends, my wife & I are looking for a new adventure game with a *really great story*. Engaging graphics are a plus. Really prefer something more like interactive fiction vs. a challenge or a pixel hunt.

Any recommendations? Really, anything that came out on PC the last year or two is fair game. We haven't played much (other than Walking Dead).

Halp!
I suggest Gray Matter. It has a fantastic story, but is a tad of a pixel hunt although not too bad though.
Trailer: http://youtu.be/hEiJoz89yRA
Amazon for $10: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NNVE8M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: I have no idea why I am responding to a really old post...stupid browser!

Here's a list again for Steam Sale, of most of the point and click adventures on offer.
If any get added I will add them or if I have missed any let me know and I will add.

Steam Spring Indie Sale

BUNDLES

Amanita Collection
75_zpsd6d03c29.png

Includes

Botanicula
Machinarium - DEMO Available
Machinarium Soundtrack
Samorost2

Blackwell Bundle
75_zpsd6d03c29.png

Includes
The Blackwell Legacy
Blackwell Unbound
Blackwell Convergence
Blackwell Deception

The Broken Sword Trilogy
75_zpsd6d03c29.png

Includes
Broken Sword: Director's Cut
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror
Broken Sword 3: The Sleeping Dragon

The Dream Machine All Chapters
96percent_zps98191921.png

DEMO Available
Includes
Chapter 1 (Out Now)
Chapter 2 (Out Now)
Chapter 2 (Out Now)
Chapter 4 (Coming Soon)
Chapter 5 (Coming Soon
)

The Sherlock Holmes Collection
60_zps544a06af.png

Includes
Sherlock Holmes: Nemisis - DEMO Available
Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened Re-mastered Edition - DEMO Available
Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of The Mummy
Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet
Sherlock Holmes: The Silver Earring

GAMES

The Journey Down: Chapter 1
75_zpsd6d03c29.png

Dark Fall: Lost Souls
75_zpsd6d03c29.png

Big Brain Wolf
75_zpsd6d03c29.png

Trauma
75_zpsd6d03c29.png

Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes
75_zpsd6d03c29.png

DEMO Available

Botanicula
70_zps4f1c89c5.png

Samorost2
70_zps4f1c89c5.png

Machinarium
70_zps4f1c89c5.png

Hamlet or the Last Game without MMORPG Features, Shaders and Product Placement.
65percent_zpsde8021ca.png

Dracula Origin
60_zps544a06af.png

DEMO Available

A New Beginning - Final Cut
50_zpse75c1fb0.png

Deponia
50_zpse75c1fb0.png

DEMO Available

Jolly Rover
50_zpse75c1fb0.png

DEMO Available

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
50_zpse75c1fb0.png

Kentucky Route Zero (Season Pass)
25_zps16b7cf86.png

Chaos on Deponia
25_zps16b7cf86.png

wazoo

Finished the first episode of Fester Mudd yesterday. It's not as good as the Lucasarts classics it's paying homage to (no shock there), but I enjoyed it. It has more personality, and is more purely fun than a lot of modern adventure games out there.

nny

I've played through the first three chapters of The Dream Machine today...what a lovely experience. From the beautiful art style (with everything being made out of clay and cardboard), to the interesting storyline, which has you visiting different dreams (I don't suppose this is a big spoiler, seeing what the title of the game is). I have also enjoyed the puzzles, which in general allow to keep progressing at a good pace, but also presenting a good amount of challenge (or "that made me feel smart"-ness).

Now to wait for the next chapter...

Also, the game is highly discounted on Steam right now - give it a try!

nny

Hofmann

This is probably the best thread to seek for an answer to my question.

So, could you recommend me some adventure games without puzzles similar to Trauma, Kentucky Route Zero or The Cat Lady - I mean more narrative oriented.

epmode

This is probably the best thread to seek for an answer to my question.

So, could you recommend me some adventure games without puzzles similar to Trauma, Kentucky Route Zero or The Cat Lady - I mean more narrative oriented.

Dreamfall is practically a visual novel but you probably need to play The Longest Journey first, and that's very much a puzzly adventure game.

I guess I'd recommend the four Blackwell games since they're very character/narrative focused. They have traditional (mostly easy) inventory puzzles.

Hofmann

Dreamfall is practically a visual novel but you probably need to play The Longest Journey first, and that's very much a puzzly adventure game.

I guess I'd recommend the four Blackwell games since they're very character/narrative focused. They have traditional (mostly easy) inventory puzzles.

I played TLJ long time ago and I always thought that Dreamfall is similar to this classic P n C formula, thanks.

Developers have just confirmed that Kentucky Route Zero Act 2 will be released April
They have also said they are still on for an episode every 3 months, which puts the last episode at January 2014.

inm8num2

Dreamfall isn't all that great with a mouse/keyboard, actually. Use a controller.

I found Dreamfall quite comfortable to play with mouse/keyboard. In fact, at most times just my left hand on the wasd was good enough, with the thumb on the spacebar.

nny

I'd like impressions on Big Brain Wolf please, worth getting at its current sale price?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/35600/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_7

Well, it's OK. It's more a compilation of puzzles (like Layton, you have a story bridging the puzzles) than a P'nC Adventure. The world is inhabited by classic fairytale characters re-imagined (you are the big bad wolf...but vegetarian and asthmatic). It's nothing great, but it's interesting enough to keep your attention.

If you're like me and like to try pretty much everything that has a semblance of a P'nC adventure, sure, get it at this price.

epmode

I found Dreamfall quite comfortable to play with mouse/keyboard. In fact, at most times just my left hand on the wasd was good enough, with the thumb on the spacebar.

Ragnar agrees with me! The proof is somewhere toward the beginning of that ridiculous 12 hour developer playthrough!

But I love everyone who loves Dreamfall so we cool <3

Hofmann

Dreamfall isn't all that great with a mouse/keyboard, actually. Use a controller.

I'm gonna pick it up, when I find some good deal.

One more thing , do you have to use Xpadder or is a gamepad compatibility build in to the game? There's no info on Steam, so I suppose it's the former.

epmode

I still can't get over that guy's name.

Malachi Rector

Also, when are they going to announce Gabriel Knight? Poor Jane has to be getting tired of stringing everyone along in those Kickstarter updates!

BluWacky

wazoo

I do not know who played Lost Chronicles of Zerzura from Cranberry Studios (Black Mirror 2/3, Matahari) but it seems they are done with adventure games, they have been refocused on online games.

Top Bottom