• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

By the end, I really wished there was more game for me to get to know the world better; learn more about the mythology and explore other places.

I felt like the public terminal, the book of man and various dialogue trees did a good job of expanding upon the mythology, in addition to the locations visited throughout the game.

I did leave wanting more, but to me that is not really a bad thing.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Anyone here played Syberia? I'm stuck as heck but I don't want to use a walkthrough. A hint would be nice, though. :p
I'm in
the Spa in Russia and I need to make a Blue Helena at the bar. But in what order, I have no frigging clue. The ingredients are all in place.
It was an quite easy adventuregame, untill now, heh.

Anyone here played Syberia? I'm stuck as heck but I don't want to use a walkthrough. A hint would be nice, though. :p
I'm in
the Spa in Russia and I need to make a Blue Helena at the bar. But in what order, I have no frigging clue. The ingredients are all in place.

I loved that game... I'm not sure what you may be stuck on there... but
you might possibly need to prepare the honey in some way before putting in in the machine.

statham

I'm in
I used a walkthrough on that part. drove me nuts.

Thanks guys. I will probably have to configure Dosbox in order to play it and I'm pretty ignorant on that front... is the game worth the effort of learning how to do that? I feel like Innocent Until Caught looks pretty good yet it has next to zero coverage/reviews online, even on specialized adventure gaming web sites.

Innocent Until Caught I remember being pretty easy to get working on dosbox, it was only tough back in the day when vdmsound was necessary, which it's not anymore. Just use a frontend like d-fend reloaded if you're having problems with Dosbox. If you still have trouble let me know and I'll try it on my end.

From memory, IUC is pretty good, IUC 2 is not quite as good, although it does have 2 separate paths. Haven't played them for a long time though.

Cognition Episode 3: The Oracle launches May 16th. Season pass holders/kickstarter backers.
Really need to finish off Ep 1, my PC time has been dramatically reduced these past few weeks.

Think I need to get a laptop or setup the comfy couch experience.

LiK

Been playing Runaway series. First game kinda sucked. Playing second one and it's also kinda painful so far. Played a lil bit of the 3rd game and it's much better with lines that are actually funny and puzzles that make a lil bit more sense unlike the first two games. I do NOT recommend the Runaway series at all. Maybe the 3rd game at most.

inm8num2

Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded backers are getting the beta tonight. Though, if the game is scheduled to be released in 2 weeks isn't that cutting a bit close?

Finally started and non stop finished Primordia this past weekend. While the endings were nice (liked em but nothing mind blowing) the entire ride was awesome.

I now want to go back and restart beneath a steel sky since my iPhone wiped my save of it way back, but coming off of Primordia I'm tempted to jump into Resonance or Gemini Rue first.

Been playing Runaway series. First game kinda sucked. Playing second one and it's also kinda painful so far. Played a lil bit of the 3rd game and it's much better with lines that are actually funny and puzzles that make a lil bit more sense unlike the first two games. I do NOT recommend the Runaway series at all. Maybe the 3rd game at most.

The second game is actually one of my favorite adventure games from the past decade. I loved the humor (except the Asian character who is also in the first, what the heck were they thinking?), the puzzles kept me interested, the characters are interesting and I love hearing them talk (the very intelligent chef living as a wild man, for example) and the locales are beautiful. I love that huge boat. The first game is my second favorite in the series and the third actually disappointed me somewhat. It was just so short, I think I finished it in four or five hours.

inm8num2

Finally started and non stop finished Primordia this past weekend. While the endings were nice (liked em but nothing mind blowing) the entire ride was awesome.

I now want to go back and restart beneath a steel sky since my iPhone wiped my save of it way back, but coming off of Primordia I'm tempted to jump into Resonance or Gemini Rue first.

Just make sure you play all three (BASS, Resonance, Gemini Rue). Such great games.

epmode

I'd say to try the Blackwell games. It's not sci-fi or anything but it's the best stuff to come from Wadjet Eye.

LiK

The second game is actually one of my favorite adventure games from the past decade. I loved the humor (except the Asian character who is also in the first, what the heck were they thinking?), the puzzles kept me interested, the characters are interesting and I love hearing them talk (the very intelligent chef living as a wild man, for example) and the locales are beautiful. I love that huge boat. The first game is my second favorite in the series and the third actually disappointed me somewhat. It was just so short, I think I finished it in four or five hours.

Really? For Runaway 2? I hated the first chapter. Currently in the second chapter and its boring me. I'll keep going to see what happens in the story. But I'm using a guide as soon as I'm stuck on anything just like with the first one. Not a fan of the logic. I really liked the hint system in the third game.

Just make sure you play all three (BASS, Resonance, Gemini Rue). Such great games.

I highly recommend Gemini Rue if you enjoyed Primordia. Awesome game.

Will do... I want to finish BASS but I think i'll play it last since I have to do alot to get where I was originally :-/ I loved it when I was playing but really bummed my save file was lost.

I'd say to try the Blackwell games. It's not sci-fi or anything but it's the best stuff to come from Wadjet Eye.

I want to, but for some reason unlike Resonance and Gemini Rue, Blackwell dosn't grab me as much... I think its the premise or something... I really dont know.

On a side note I've been teaching myself Adventure Game Studio slowly.

inm8num2

Except Resonance. But Blackwell are definitely the best.

Just curious, what didn't you like about Resonance? I thought it had great storytelling and challenging puzzles. I loved the short-term/long-term memory system as well as the switching among multiple characters.

Just curious, what didn't you like about Resonance? I thought it had great storytelling and challenging puzzles. I loved the short-term/long-term memory system as well as the switching among multiple characters.

Agreed, of the ones I've played, I'd rank them.

Resonance > Gemini Rue >>>>>> Blackwell > Primordia >>>>>>> Puzzlebots

My main dislike about the Wadjet games is the guy who does Joey's voice. It bothers me even more than the original Al Emmo one, it's that irritating and unfunny.

Really? For Runaway 2? I hated the first chapter. Currently in the second chapter and its boring me. I'll keep going to see what happens in the story. But I'm using a guide as soon as I'm stuck on anything just like with the first one. Not a fan of the logic. I really liked the hint system in the third game.

Yeah, it just really hooked me. And the first one did as well but I prefer the second over the first because of the locales, for the most part. The length of the third one is what really bummed me out about it. I think the game is fine but it ended so quickly. The first two were around three times as long as it.

Another game they did, Yesterday, suffers from that ending-too-quickly problem also. There isn't even enough time to flesh out the characters. Started off good then it just ends.

epmode

I want to, but for some reason unlike Resonance and Gemini Rue, Blackwell dosn't grab me as much... I think its the premise or something... I really dont know.

Blackwell's premise isn't as compelling as the others but the execution is top-notch. It's all in the writing. I love how the characters evolve over the games.

szaromir

Banned
I thought the memory systems made IU too complicated without adding too much in terms of puzzle complexity. The ending was just terrible, the story just fell apart. And being a physics nut I dislike that this resonance phenomenon makes just no sense whatsoever.

It did have a very promising beginning though.

Ledsen

I thought the memory systems made IU too complicated without adding too much in terms of puzzle complexity. The ending was just terrible, the story just fell apart. And being a physics nut I dislike that this resonance phenomenon makes just no sense whatsoever.

Same here, Resonance started out promising but quickly went bad. The memory mechanic felt like a school-book example of "kill your darlings" (should've been cut no matter how smart and unique the dev thought it was) and the writing was terrible. A huge disappointment for me.

inm8num2

I can understand people not liking how the story progressed, especially after the vault. And obviously the physics of resonance balls is a stretch of the imagination, but isn't that usually the case in sci-fi stories?

The memory system didn't complicate things for me too much. The clicking and dragging was a bit annoying from time to time, but overall it was a fresh take on dialogue mechanics.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I loved that game... I'm not sure what you may be stuck on there... but
you might possibly need to prepare the honey in some way before putting in in the machine.
Thanks for the tip, but that wasn't the thing I missed. I overlooked
a number in one of the hotel brochure's, when dialed the bartender gives you the recipe. :p
But once again, thanks for the help!

Aaaaand finished, lovely adventure game! Very relaxing atmosphere.
Now i've started The Longest Journey, liking that game a lot aswell. :)

nny

Thanks for the tip, but that wasn't the thing I missed. I overlooked
a number in one of the hotel brochure's, when dialed the bartender gives you the recipe. :p
But once again, thanks for the help!

Aaaaand finished, lovely adventure game! Very relaxing atmosphere.
Now i've started The Longest Journey, liking that game a lot aswell. :)

Dude, Syberia is only half the story, get on Syberia 2!

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Thanks guys. I will probably have to configure Dosbox in order to play it and I'm pretty ignorant on that front... is the game worth the effort of learning how to do that? I feel like Innocent Until Caught looks pretty good yet it has next to zero coverage/reviews online, even on specialized adventure gaming web sites.

I wrote reviews of both games for the HG101 Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures (still on sale at Amazon *pimppimp*) though I haven't gotten around to posting them online. I probably should.

QUICK ANSWER: Neither are very good. The premises to both are alright, and there are a couple of legitimately funny bits throughout them, but like most LucasArts/Sierra-type clones of the era (or even today), the writing just isn't there.

Boerseun

Banned

Watch the movie first and see if you can stand the world, specifically its eccentricities in terms of storytelling and art design. If you ignore the movie, and/or the art and setting isn't a problem, then, from a purely gameplay perspective, it is definitely one of the better first-person adventure games I've played.

EDIT: I just checked your link. That's a ridiculously low price. If you have any interest at all I'd go for it.

Thanks for the heads up! I bought them! I hope I enjoy it! Looks charming enough!

These are awesome games. Play them in German (as you should just about every adventure game released in the last ten years), if at all possible.

Play them in German (as you should just about every adventure game released in the last ten years), if at all possible.

Does it have English subtitles if I play it in German? Sadly, I don't understand German even though my grandparents are from Austria. :(

Tizoc

Watch the movie first and see if you can stand the world, specifically its eccentricities in terms of storytelling and art design. If you ignore the movie, and/or the art and setting isn't a problem, then, from a purely gameplay perspective, it is definitely one of the better first-person adventure games I've played.

EDIT: I just checked your link. That's a ridiculously low price. If you have any interest at all I'd go for it.

These are awesome games. Play them in German (as you should just about every adventure game released in the last ten years), if at all possible.

There's a movie? Will give it a watch thanks for the info.

A lot of mystery/horror PnC adventures seem to be on sale on Amazon DD right now. I cannot speak to what DRM these might have, but I don't think any of them come with Steam codes. I have not played most of these either.

Gray Matter $2.99
Black Mirror 2 $1.99
Black Mirror 3 $1.99
Alter Ego $1.99
Mystery Adventure Bundle (above 4 games) $5.99 (seems like a great deal to me)
Mata Hari $1.99
Secret Files: Tunguska $2.49
Secret Files 2 $2.49
Still Life 2 $2.99
Post Mortem $2.99
Lost Horizon $2.49
The 7th Guest $2.49
The 11th Hour $2.50
Cursed Mountain $1.25
Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon $2.99
Book of Unwritten Tales $4.99

If anyone has any recommendations that any of these are worthwhile it would be appreciated.

I’ve been wrestling with the final part of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream for awhile. I finally looked up a walkthrough and apparently Gorrister needs
the “Totem of Life” (heart)
and Benny needs
the “Totem of Love” (fruit)
but I don’t have those items when playing as those two characters.

I did figure out Nimdok and Ellen, but am I screwed here? I don’t want to replay the entire game the get the “good” ending so I might have to YouTube it sadly.

inm8num2

I’ve been wrestling with the final part of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream for awhile. I finally looked up a walkthrough and apparently Gorrister needs
the “Totem of Life” (heart)
and Benny needs
the “Totem of Love” (fruit)
but I don’t have those items when playing as those two characters.

I did figure out Nimdok and Ellen, but am I screwed here? I don’t want to replay the entire game the get the “good” ending so I might have to YouTube it sadly.

I think so, yes. :(

Zaph

A lot of mystery/horror PnC adventures seem to be on sale on Amazon DD right now. I cannot speak to what DRM these might have, but I don't think any of them come with Steam codes. I have not played most of these either.

Gray Matter $2.99
Still Life 2 $2.99
Book of Unwritten Tales $4.99

If anyone has any recommendations that any of these are worthwhile it would be appreciated.
Gray Matter - I loved this game. Mechanically it can be really rough (you can tell it had a troubled development), but the writing was so damn good (especially the main character) that I didn't care - can't remember the last time a game handled a subtle romance so well. Gets a bit silly towards the end.

Still Life 2 - really enjoyed the first one, a creepy murder mystery, but I couldn't get this playable on my Windows 7 PC. Would only run in a tiny 640x480 window (with huge black borders) on my 2560x1440 monitor.

Book of Unwritten Tales - Hands down, the best adventure game I've play in years. The localisation is brilliant and a lot of the jokes are very funny (especially if you like British humour). It's a slight parody of the fantasy genre, but they don't use that as a crutch.

Top Bottom