• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Lime

Is Gray Matter worth it? I don't care much about mechanics in a point 'n click adventure, but the quality of writing is (obviously) very important.

inm8num2

Is Gray Matter worth it? I don't care much about mechanics in a point 'n click adventure, but the quality of writing is (obviously) very important.

Yes. The writing is top notch, and the puzzles are pretty good as well. Some technical shortcomings in things like facial portrait animations, but that shouldn't take away from the experience.

Get it.

silvon

A lot of mystery/horror PnC adventures seem to be on sale on Amazon DD right now. I cannot speak to what DRM these might have, but I don't think any of them come with Steam codes. I have not played most of these either.

Gray Matter $2.99
Black Mirror 2 $1.99
Black Mirror 3 $1.99
Alter Ego $1.99
Mystery Adventure Bundle (above 4 games) $5.99 (seems like a great deal to me)
Mata Hari $1.99
Secret Files: Tunguska $2.49
Secret Files 2 $2.49
Still Life 2 $2.99
Post Mortem $2.99
Lost Horizon $2.49
The 7th Guest $2.49
The 11th Hour $2.50
Cursed Mountain $1.25
Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon $2.99
Book of Unwritten Tales $4.99

If anyone has any recommendations that any of these are worthwhile it would be appreciated.

Bought the bundle and greatly enjoy Gray Matter. Are there any other worth-buying titles in the list beside the bundle and Book of Unwritten Tales (which I already have)?

I always think Kickstarters in GBP (£) struggle against USD ($) Game does look very interesting though, have backed.
All being well they will continue development.

Just beat Pandora Directive.

Probably the meatiest adventure game I have ever played. The amount of puzzles was staggering, and I was only playing in Entertainment mode. Thankfully the intricately-designed hint system gives you just enough information to get unstuck without feeling spoiled.

As for the story, it's one of the best I've experienced in a videogame. The fantastic cast brings an incalculable level of charm and personality to the experience, and the non-linearity of the narrative adds to the immersion.

I love that universe so much... guess Overseer is next.

inm8num2

Probably the meatiest adventure game I have ever played. The amount of puzzles was staggering, and I was only playing in Entertainment mode. Thankfully the intricately-designed hint system gives you just enough information to get unstuck without feeling spoiled.

As for the story, it's one of the best I've experienced in a videogame. The fantastic cast brings an incalculable level of charm and personality to the experience, and the non-linearity of the narrative adds to the immersion.

Yea, The Pandora Directive is a huge, sprawling game. So many different paths, so many choices, so many puzzles. It's a fantastic accomplishment.

I wish I was a backer of Project Fedora. I gave some money via Paypal yesterday but I'm not sure if that means I'll be able to view updates once Big Finish processes my order.

I did find some recent screenshots of the game environments and man... the shot of
Chandler Avenue
has me very hyped.

inm8num2

I wish I was a backer of Project Fedora. I gave some money via Paypal yesterday but I'm not sure if that means I'll be able to view updates once Big Finish processes my order.

I did find some recent screenshots of the game environments and man... the shot of
Chandler Avenue
has me very hyped.

Once they process your Paypal you should have access to the development blog. It's pretty good and gets updates about once per week (on average).

I just finished Gemini Rue. Excellent atmosphere and world-building, compelling characters and dialogue, good story. Puzzles were somewhat obtuse at times, the dialogue can be too on-the-nose, and I predicted the twist a mile away. Still definitely worth playing.

Love that cyberpunk + film noir vibe.

inm8num2

Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded backers are getting the beta tonight. Though, if the game is scheduled to be released in 2 weeks isn't that cutting a bit close?

Just as I suspected, the game will be delayed until the end of June. There's nothing wrong with that, but initially I had wondered how in the hell they expected to be able to iron out potentially hundreds of bugs in less than 2 weeks.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leisuresuitlarry/make-leisure-suit-larry-come-again/posts/486351

How is it possible that the "The Realm Game" kickstarter won't make it? :(

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/995134339/the-realm-game
Because their selling point is that it's dumbed down for people who don't like adventure games and the people who are willing to fork over money at this stage of development are not interested in that?
But then again, Dreamfall:Chapters got funded so maybe it's just the lack of marketing.

Great game, I played through Under A Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive and The Overseer for the first time last year and enjoyed them all very much.

Make sure to play Overseer before Project Fedora comes out as it's a direct continuation of Overseer.

It's a retelling of the first game I think. It's going to be weird seeing him age 15 years between the two games, haha.

Right, but I'm slightly confused by your statement that Project Fedora is a direct continuation of Overseer.

I thought the chronology was: Overseer, UaKM, PD

As such I've been expecting Project Fedora to take place after PD...?

Right, but I'm slightly confused by your statement that Project Fedora is a direct continuation of Overseer.

I thought the chronology was: Overseer, UaKM, PD

As such I've been expecting Project Fedora to take place after PD...?

Overseer ends on a cliff hanger, Project Fedora is supposed to pick up where Overseer ends.

batbeg

I'm thinking of maybe replayed The Longest Journey as it has been many a year, and I've never played Dreamfall, but I am also feeling an unusual attraction to playing a Daedalic game. I've heard about the localization woes of their titles, but are there any I should be particularly eager to dig into anyways?

I started playing Overseer last night. So far it's my least favorite of the FMV Tex Murphy games, as the environments and stage design feel a bit uninspired compared to the previous games where everything just oozed atmosphere... and exploration is more limited. That being said, I'm really enjoying the mystery as always and visiting Capricorn was a highlight of the entire series because Blade Runner.

Bit disappointed that the Kickstarter for the The Realm failed. This was the kind of project that actually needed crowdfunding, not some nonsense about removing ads from a website or whatever :(

They said they'd be back in autumn, which makes me think that there are just going to keep working on the game and present a more enticing trailer then.

I'd be surprised if The Realm doesn't materialize sooner or later.

Yea they mentioned that not having a US dollar Kickstarter might have hampered their efforts. Hopefully they can make it work out in the next attempt.

Did not know The Raven was episodic!

Chapter I: The Eye of the Sphinx (Launch July 23, 2013)

Chapter II: Ancestry of Lies (Launch August 27, 2013)

Chapter III: A Murder of Ravens (Launch September 24, 2013)

It's developed by King Arts who are the team behind the Book of Unwritten Tales series. People enjoyed those games enough to become interested in The Raven.

Hum... I don't know what's going on here, but I just got "Book of Unwritten Tales" at Amazon for $0.00. Search for it and you'll see the discounted version first for $5.00 and then the $0.00. Yay?! :)

Edit: nevermind.. demo... silly me.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Kickstarter for Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/315061806/nelly-cootalot-the-fowl-fleet-retro-pirate-adventu

£15,000 goal.

Some more info here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=47753.0

WvVCR4J.jpg
He0BDDl.jpg

And here's the first Nelly Cootalot game if you want to try it out: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/860/

Bought the bundle and greatly enjoy Gray Matter. Are there any other worth-buying titles in the list beside the bundle and Book of Unwritten Tales (which I already have)?

All of them are great. Mata hari was probably one of the more mediocre ones on the list. Secret files, gray Matter, Black Mirror 2-3, Post Mortem, Dracula 3 are some of my favorite point and clicks.

VaeVictis

The first Nelly Cootalot was such a wonderful surprise when I first played it and I recommend every adventure game fan to try it out.

I spent a large chunk of last night catching up on the Project Fedora blog and watching all the video updates... wow. I'd been keeping my expectations in check but screw it, this is officially my most anticipated game in a long time.

If anyone's on the fence, just watch the Kickstarter pitch video. The dev is a legitimately funny guy. I thought I was going to pass on this one, but after watching the video I'm really looking forward to it.

Doomshine

Just started playing Cognition for the first time, and man... strong start! I'm definitely interested in seeing where this goes.

The new Humble Weekly Bundle includes the following Telltale games:

The Walking Dead
Back To the Future
Sam & Max: Devils Playhouse
Poker Night at the Inventory
Hector: Badge of Carnage
Puzzle Agent
Puzzle Agent 2
Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures

Quite a deal for 3 or 4 bucks. I bought it even though I already had some of them.

How does Steam greenlight work? I fancy Cognition.....if I buy it now and it gets on Steam, does the purchase I've made somehow then get added to my Steam collection? Thanks.

nny

How does Steam greenlight work? I fancy Cognition.....if I buy it now and it gets on Steam, does the purchase I've made somehow then get added to my Steam collection? Thanks.

It's not always the same; it depends on if who you bought it from gives a Steam key when they are available or not.

Doomshine

I think I remember reading that Cognition Steam keys would be given to people who bought it if it got greenlit but don't quote me on that.

RetroMG

GOG.com is having a massive sale on old Sierra adventure games. (I'd link, but I'm on my phone.)

GOG doesn't do steam keys, do they?

Top Bottom