• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Finally that kickstarter video goes up! Been teased for a while now.
Will happily back this, always had a soft spot for A Vampyre Story.

ZenaxPure

Ok adventure game dudes, I don't really play adventure games that often cause i r dumb but for whatever reason I bought Yesterday during a Steam sale and played through (what I assume) is most of it yesterday in one sitting, I've really, really taken a liking to the game. Is there any other games that are similar to it? I really enjoy the cryptic story (some of it has been predictable, some of it totally surprised me) and the bizarrely dark atmosphere (torture, cults, serial killers, all that) mixed in with what feels like some weird Dan Brown treasure hunt. I thought the game somehow did a really good job at setting up tension despite the fact you are literally never in any sort of danger gameplay wise (no timers counting down and such).

But yeah, even though I'm not done yet it's clearly a very short game but I am craving for other stuff like it.

szaromir

Banned
Ok adventure game dudes, I don't really play adventure games that often cause i r dumb but for whatever reason I bought Yesterday during a Steam sale and played through (what I assume) is most of it yesterday in one sitting, I've really, really taken a liking to the game. Is there any other games that are similar to it? I really enjoy the cryptic story (some of it has been predictable, some of it totally surprised me) and the bizarrely dark atmosphere (torture, cults, serial killers, all that) mixed in with what feels like some weird Dan Brown treasure hunt. I thought the game somehow did a really good job at setting up tension despite the fact you are literally never in any sort of danger gameplay wise (no timers counting down and such).

But yeah, even though I'm not done yet it's clearly a very short game but I am craving for other stuff like it.
Bundle in a Box has the excellent Blackwell series for $2. I would look into that.

Play Broken Sword games, they'll make you jizz if you're into Indiana Jones adventure and conspiracy history stuff like Knights Templar which the game did before Dan Brown ever did ;)

Also Longest Journey and its sequel, Dreamfall are pretty mature and sound right up your alley.

Gemini Rue is a science fiction, cyberpunk, detective thriller that is decent.

Resonance is a science fiction mystery which is also very good.

Joe Molotov

Buy the Gabriel Knight games from the GOG sale, they're classics, especially the first two. First one is about Voodoo in New Orleans, second one is werewolves in Bavaria, third one is about Grail lore in France. They're well researched and written and should scratch your Dan Brown itch.

http://www.gog.com/promo/activision_weekend_promo_310513

szaromir

Banned
Buy the Gabriel Knight games from the GOG sale, they're classics, especially the first two. First one is about Voodoo in New Orleans, second one is werewolves in Bavaria, third one is about Grail lore in France. They're well researched and written and should scratch your Dan Brown itch.
Reading the da Vinci code after playing GK3 was so underwhelming given all the hype and controversy around the book.

Black Mirror 1,2, and 3 all the way. The first game is the longest if I recall. And a bit older. You could read up on the plot or watch an LP if you're short on time. I really love 2 and 3, fantastic atmosphere and artwork. But ideally playing them all in a row is the way to go.

epmode

Bundle in a Box has the excellent Blackwell series for $2. I would look into that.

While I wouldn't put it at the top of my all-time adventure game list, this is certainly among the best of the last 10 years. More of you guys should play it.

Fjordson

I've never played a Gabriel Knight game. Bad, I know. They still hold up it sounds like? Might grab them in the GOG sale.

I've never played a Gabriel Knight game. Bad, I know. They still hold up it sounds like? Might grab them in the GOG sale.

I think the first two hold up very well, not so much the third one but there are people who would disagree with that. Some don't care for the FMV in the second game either but I love that stuff, personally.

The third game has early, ugly 3D and an awkward control/camera system. There is also this nonsensical puzzle towards the beginning of the game that (for me) breaks the immersion because of how silly it is. If the bad graphics don't take you out of the game then that puzzle might.

Tim Curry, who is in the first and third games, doesn't do the part quite as well in the third game. He just doesn't seem "into it" like he did in the first game.

Fjordson

Yeah, I'm not usually a huge fan of FMV, but I've heard good things about GB 2 so I'll just pick em all up. Hard to resist for cheap.

Love the look of 1, though. Too bad they didn't continue with that.

GK3 has its flaws (including one of the most infamously bad puzzles in adventure game history), but its story is just as intricate and well-crafted as the others' with an interesting set of characters, and it also has the single best puzzle in adventure game history, a multi-chapter quest of investigative work, research and analytical skills. It's probably the game in the series that best makes you feel like a detective. I'd recommend it for that puzzle alone (though it isn't until late in the game).

I love point and click adventure games, but I'm looking for something in the style of Curse of Monkey Island. As much I enjoy other lucasart point and click games, I always loved that games style. Deponia looks like it may share some design traits with CoMI, so can anyone recommend it?

I love point and click adventure games, but I'm looking for something in the style of Curse of Monkey Island. As much I enjoy other lucasart point and click games, I always loved that games style. Deponia looks like it may share some design traits with CoMI, so can anyone recommend it?
Anything by Wadjet Eye pretty much has the same design traits: Link. I am currently in the middle of playing Resonance and am enjoying it so far.

szaromir

Banned
GK3 has its flaws (including one of the most infamously bad puzzles in adventure game history), but its story is just as intricate and well-crafted as the others' with an interesting set of characters, and it also has the single best puzzle in adventure game history, a multi-chapter quest of investigative work, research and analytical skills. It's probably the game in the series that best makes you feel like a detective. I'd recommend it for that puzzle alone (though it isn't until late in the game).
Le Serpent Rouge!

Le Serpent Rouge!

That was such a great puzzle. I wish more developers made puzzles like that.

I really dislike how a lot of people seem to think that the writing is the only thing that matters in an adventure game. Puzzles and exploration are equally important yet most people seem to ignore those parts or treat them like annoying filler.
It doesn't help that borderline visual novels like Dreamfall, The Walking Dead and Heavy Rain are now seen as the poster child for adventure games.

Yeah, I'm not usually a huge fan of FMV, but I've heard good things about GB 2 so I'll just pick em all up. Hard to resist for cheap.

Love the look of 1, though. Too bad they didn't continue with that.
Remedy keeping it alive.
iAKalemhOMuHB.gif

4805a648.gif

ZenaxPure

Thanks for the suggestions dudes. I already own Gemini Rue apparently (I guess it was in some bundle at some point haha) so I will check out that next. Still haven't actually finished Yesterday yet. One of those situations where when I finish it I won't have any more of it to play and I don't really want it to end yet so I just haven't went back.

Does it have a hint system or anything? Like I said, not really that great at adventure games (I frequently overlook super obvious things and then check out a walkthrough then kick myself for being stupid) but I also actually hate turning to a walkthrough in any video game, the hint system in Yesterday has been pretty clever without just outright telling me what to do.

Sorcerer

Anybody ever play "Juggernaut" on the PS1?

Not much love for this game but, I loved it because it was totally surreal and bizarre.

Fjordson

Remedy keeping it alive.
iAKalemhOMuHB.gif

4805a648.gif
Haha, I actually love when Remedy does it. They use it in key situations and put little hints and Easter eggs (like the Max Payne face from that top gif). I just meant that the games that only use FMV from the 90's haven't really aged all that well for me. Just don't enjoy how they look or move from scene to scene compared to something like Monkey Island or Gabriel Knight 1.

Juice

I'm pretty disappointed with Deponia so far. Such great artwork wasted on such mundane pixel hunting. The writing is absolutely atrocious, too (though I've heard it said that it's just the translation, the story isn't that great either).

Sigh. :-/

I'm pretty disappointed with Deponia so far. Such great artwork wasted on such mundane pixel hunting. The writing is absolutely atrocious, too (though I've heard it said that it's just the translation, the story isn't that great either).

Sigh. :-/

Deponia is the first Daedalic game I've played through, despite owning The Whispered World since release, and when I first started it it didn't do too much for me. I thought it look beautiful but everything else was so dull. I stuck with it and I feel like it picked up. I'll definitely check out some of their other games as well. A New Beginning, in particular, is something I've had my eye on for quite awhile now (for its subject matter, mostly).

szaromir

Banned
Deponia is the first Daedalic game I've played through, despite owning The Whispered World since release, and when I first started it it didn't do too much for me. I thought it look beautiful but everything else was so dull. I stuck with it and I feel like it picked up. I'll definitely check out some of their other games as well. A New Beginning, in particular, is something I've had my eye on for quite awhile now (for its subject matter, mostly).
A New Beginning is mediocre. The story falls apart quickly and is not interesting to begin with. Puzzles are very run of the mill. The Whispered World is much better.

statham

Actually, false alarm. I guess it's a version of the game with ads that's always free. There is a paid version that doesn't have ads.

Still, I don't mind ads every 10 min to play a game like that for free.
I just played for 20 minutes and didn't see an ad, my internet did die. So far I like the game.

wouwie

Just noticed that Syberia is available for iOS (iPad and iPhone). Not sure how i feel about the visual side of things since it seems to be the original version just upscaled. I would have loved a proper hd remake of this fantastic game. Also, these on screen buttons (help and hot spot) look awful and can't be turned off.

Still, might give this a go since it might be the only way to replay this game at this point. I'm still a proud owner of both Syberia games in boxed version though.

Top Bottom