• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Fjordson

How are these games? Any impressions?
If you have any interest in classic adventure games? Amazing in my opinion.

Gemini Rue is my favourite adventure game in recent memory and the Blackwell Games and Primordia are right up there as well.

Resonance is also fun in my opinion, but in general it seems that people didn't like it quite as much as the other ones on this list.

Either way, $9 is a steal for all that quality.

km3k

Neo Member
If you have any interest in classic adventure games? Amazing in my opinion.

Gemini Rue is my favourite adventure game in recent memory and the Blackwell Games and Primordia are right up there as well.

Resonance is also fun in my opinion, but in general it seems that people didn't like it quite as much as the other ones on this list.

Either way, $9 is a steal for all that quality.

I totally agree. This is a fantastic deal. The Blackwell games were a really nice surprise for me when I played them earlier this year. I really enjoyed the story and characters. Wadjet Eye games are top notch in quality.

Mr_Zombie

I've only played Gemini Rue and Resonance and I can really recommend them. Both games have really nice [oldschool] graphics and voice acting, interesting puzzles (both use item X on Y type of puzzles and real puzzles) and, although with few problems here and there, good stories.

Kyari

Every time this thread talks about Wadjet Eye and Gemini Rue I feel bad for breaking achievements on the iOS version. (and also delaying the release) :(

Fjordson

I totally agree. This is a fantastic deal. The Blackwell games were a really nice surprise for me when I played them earlier this year. I really enjoyed the story and characters. Wadjet Eye games are top notch in quality.
Yep. The premise seems sort of bland and cheesy, and when I first booted up the original game I wasn't sure what I was getting into, but it's a fantastic series. And each one is an improvement over the previous. Not just with the puzzles, but also with the presentation. Still the retro style, but it's become slightly more detailed and complex as the series has gone on. The voice acting for Abe and Rosa has also gotten progressively better.

I can't wait for Epiphany to come out. The screens look so neat. The graphical style has come a long way since Legacy.

RetroMG

All of them are amazing. The only one I couldn't get into was Gemini Rue, and that was mostly because I didn't love the combat mechanics. Also that a point and click adventure had combat mechanics.

But the Blackwell games in particular are great, and so is Primordia and Resonance.

All of them are amazing. The only one I couldn't get into was Gemini Rue, and that was mostly because I didn't love the combat mechanics. Also that a point and click adventure had combat mechanics.

But the Blackwell games in particular are great, and so is Primordia and Resonance.

Should have been a "zero to win" button like in FATE.

But yeah, the blackwell games are superb. My favourite p&c's this decade.

Apparently, since I have missed this news.
The Raven from King Arts will be coming digitally to consoles in July, PS3 & Xbox 360.
It will be available as a season pass OR individual chapters.

Release Schedule

Chapter I – The Eye of the Sphinx (July 23rd)
Chapter II – Ancestry of Lies (August 27th)
Chapter III – A Murder of Ravens (September 24th)

980248_355013721294697_1527875372_o.jpg

Try the browser prologue game
http://raven-game.com/ign-en/

OR Download the app
IOS-https://itunes.apple.com/app/the-raven-prologue/id652868287
Android-https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.nordicgames.ravenpromo.ensd

Tizoc

lol I pre-ordered it for PC via GMG!
Might double dip on PS3 version too....

ANYways, which of the Tex Murphy games on gog.com are worth getting?

protonion

lol I pre-ordered it for PC via GMG!
Might double dip on PS3 version too....

ANYways, which of the Tex Murphy games on gog.com are worth getting?

Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive and Overseer.

Try Overseer first. It's the last one but it is Tex's first case told via flashbacks and it has the best interface. It also has the best endgame of any adventure I can think of. If you like it go for the other two.

Tizoc

Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive and Overseer.

Try Overseer first. It's the last one but it is Tex's first case told via flashbacks and it has the best interface. It also has the best endgame of any adventure I can think of. If you like it go for the other two.

Thanks mate, gonna grab those before I head out =)

Thanks mate, gonna grab those before I head out =)

I have to respectfully disagree with protonion. Overseer is easily my least favorite of the FMV Tex Murphy games. I think you should start with something that is a better representation of the series, IE Under a Killing Moon or The Pandora Directive.

(For the record, this isn't nostalgia talking as I beat all three for the first time over 2012 and 2013)

As to my reasons for thinking Overseer is inferior? You can tell it was a rushed product (limited exploration, more repetitive/tedious puzzles) and the iconic, 40's noir/post-apocalyptic sci-fi feel that I love so much about UaKM and TPD feels a bit lacking in this one.

Also, while Overseer is a prequel, it is told through flashbacks that Tex is telling Chelsea throughout the game, and that segment of the game is set in the present (after the previous games). IMO the game really is meant to be played last in the series.

Also, while Overseer is a prequel, it is told through flashbacks that Tex is telling Chelsea throughout the game, and that segment of the game is set in the present (after the previous games). IMO the game really is meant to be played last in the series.

I agree with all you've said, but I'd say it might be best to play first because:

- It's best to get the worst done first (though it's definitely not bad enough to skip)
- Good set-up for the new game, so you can jump straight into it when it comes out without the overkill of burning through a whole series so quickly
- There's not many Chandler Avenue characters in Overseer, so the backstory is pretty unimportant

When browsing adventuregamers, i noticed some screens on a new Kickstarter project from Lexis Numerique. It's called Taxi Journey and it's basically a mix of adventure and platforming, with the emphasis on adventure, story and characters.

It looks amazing and really interesting: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lexisgames/taxi-journey.

This sounded interesting, but they cancelled it just a few hours after your post.

These are the developers behind The Experiment, which I had the displeasure of playing a few months ago.

nny

They're the devs behind Red Johnson; didn't know the KickStarter was cancelled, the game was looking interesting.

edit: I checked the KS page and they're postponing the fund raiser to September.

So I've been replaying Police Quest 1 and 3.

Man the writing is so bad... and the early 90's mullets and big bangs on the women crack me the fuck up. Still love 'em.

I can't believe I was playing these games for the first time 20 years ago this summer. o_O

TripleSun

Can't wait for The Raven! Got it preordered.

Got Secret Files 3 for 50% off during Steam sale, but I know I'm going to be disappointed going in with my feelings from how amazing 1 and 2 were. But it was only $15 and it's the last of the series, so!

Boerseun

Banned
This is old news but I don't remember seeing it posted here: Telltale Abandons King's Quest

I'm half disappointed, half relieved.

But mostly disappointed because I so want to see a new King's Quest game and now the IP is back in limbo for who knows how long.

Oh, flipping finally!

There are at least five adventure game studios out there better suited to making a new King's Quest.

My picks would be:

1. Daedelic Entertainment (in the style of Chains of Satinav or The Night of the Rabbit)
2. King Art (developers of The Book of Unwritten Tales series)
3. Silver Style Studios (developers of Simon the Sorcerer 4 & 5)
4. Animation Arts (developers of Lost Horizon and Secret Files series)
5. Realmforge Studious (developers of Ceville)
6. Wormwood Studios or Joshua Neumberger or XII Games (retro-styled adventure games published by Wadjet Eye Games)

EDIT: Added Silver Style Studios, as I erroneously thought they had closed down.

ikkei

Oh, flipping finally!

There are at least five adventure game studios out there better suited to making a new King's Quest.

My picks would be:

1. Daedelic Entertainment (in the style of Chains of Satinav or The Night of the Rabbit)
2. King Art (developers of The Book of Unwritten Tales series)
3. Silver Style Studios (developers of Simon the Sorcerer 4 & 5)
4. Animation Arts (developers of Lost Horizon and Secret Files series)
5. Realmforge Studious (developers of Ceville)
6. Wormwood Studios or Joshua Neumberger or XII Games (retro-styled adventure games published by Wadjet Eye Games)

EDIT: Added Silver Style Studios, as I erroneously thought they had closed down.
You forgot to mention Himalaya Studios, which have indeed a lot experience with Sierra style games. They recently Kickstarted Mage's initiation, which looks really good.

Anyway, it's sad that Telltale isn't working on KQ anymore. I really wanted to see an ambitious revision of the license.

Enlil

Does any of you know if there are games out there that has beautiful backgrounds like REremake? If it contains mystery and puzzles, preferably horror I am really interested.

TripleSun

Well I finally beat Secret Files 3 after like 7 hours and all in all one of my favorite PnC /series/ but obviously the weakest of the three. Way too easy, locations were small and I'm sick of CERN crutches in games, but still, I do anything for Max & Nina. :p

Well, can't wait for Face Noir to pop up to play, just waiting it out now~

Top Bottom