• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Hofmann

The Coral Cave - It's pretty early, but I thought you might be interested - it looks gorgeous.

8961473105_0f24575f0a_o.jpg

The Coral Cave is a 2D point & click adventure game (like Machinarium or Broken Sword for example). It will be entirely handmade in watercolors and will feature lots of animations, characters and backgrounds!

The player controls a little Japanese girl named Mizuka who lives on a small remote island, in the Okinawa archipelago.
One night, she has a strange dream. When she wakes up, a terrible danger is threatening her village.
Mizuka must explore the surroundings and enter a mysterious spirit world in order to save her island.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just noticed that Syberia is available for iOS (iPad and iPhone). Not sure how i feel about the visual side of things since it seems to be the original version just upscaled. I would have loved a proper hd remake of this fantastic game. Also, these on screen buttons (help and hot spot) look awful and can't be turned off.

Still, might give this a go since it might be the only way to replay this game at this point. I'm still a proud owner of both Syberia games in boxed version though.

both are available on Steam and run fine on my W7 laptop

New trailer för Moebius. Looking good.
On the technical front I don't like it a bit. Ok, Holmes' music is there and the backgrounds are good (even though I don't dig that oversaturation), but the characters models and animation are pretty bad. Some "special FX" are amateurish at best (the reflections on the water in Venice - and it was even worse in the previous trailer). I must say I had no faith in Phoenix technical skills from the start, so that's not unexpected. Still...

Story and puzzle-wise I really don't know what to expect: the trailers don't show much (NINJAS!!! lol), but the computer thing they put in here looks intriguing: it could be a Serpent Rouge reborn, or a complete letdown like the computer puzzles in Grey Matter.

I was pretty hyped when the kickstarter launched (big fan of JJ's works, even though GM was just so-so), but month after month the info they release made it fall out of my radar. I'll wait for some reviews + opinions from players.

statham

Just beat Lost Horizon, enjoyed it alot, but skipped some of the dialogue for being too long. Production values are high, graphics are good and voice actors are solid. I say a solid B

On the technical front I don't like it a bit. Ok, Holmes' music is there and the backgrounds are good (even though I don't dig that oversaturation), but the characters models and animation are pretty bad. Some "special FX" are amateurish at best (the reflections on the water in Venice - and it was even worse in the previous trailer). I must say I had no faith in Phoenix technical skills from the start, so that's not unexpected. Still...

Story and puzzle-wise I really don't know what to expect: the trailers don't show much (NINJAS!!! lol), but the computer thing they put in here looks intriguing: it could be a Serpent Rouge reborn, or a complete letdown like the computer puzzles in Grey Matter.

I was pretty hyped when the kickstarter launched (big fan of JJ's works, even though GM was just so-so), but month after month the info they release made it fall out of my radar. I'll wait for some reviews + opinions from players.

If the alpha is anything to go by you should set your expectations low for the puzzle and exploration aspects. I can only hope that the team listened to the feedback and improves those aspects in the later chapters.

A little off topic, but I'm pretty sure a thread about Interactive Fiction wouldn't survive ten minutes on Gaming, so I'll post it here, in case other PnC fans are interested in Text Adventures.

Here's the results for XYZZY Awards 2012:

Best Game: Counterfeit Monkey (Emily Short, Glulx).
Best Writing: howling dogs (Porpentine, Twine).
Best Story: howling dogs (Porpentine, Twine).
Best Setting: Counterfeit Monkey (Emily Short, Glulx).
Best Puzzles: Counterfeit Monkey (Emily Short, Glulx).
Best NPCs: Guilded Youth (Jim Munroe, Z-code).
Best Individual Puzzle: Surviving the fall in Bigger Than You Think (Andrew Plotkin, Glulx).
Best Individual NPC: New Rat City from rat chaos (J Chastain, Twine).
Best Individual PC: Alexandra from Counterfeit Monkey (Emily Short, Glulx).
Best Implementation: Counterfeit Monkey (Emily Short, Glulx).
Best Use of Innovation: First Draft of the Revolution (Emily Short, Liza Daly and Inkle).
Best Technological Development: Vorple for Inform 7 (Juhana Leinonen).
Best Supplemental Materials: Feelies for Muggle Studies (M. Flourish Klink, Glulx.)

Most Awards are split almost evenly between Counterfeit Monkey and howling dogs, two interesting games not only as text adventures, but on their own merits.

You can read a review for Counterfeit Monkey by a fellow Gaffer here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509242

The games are available on IFDB, here: http://ifdb.tads.org/

I just finished playing through The Book of Unwritten Tales. What a game. Absolutely fantastic.

A quick question for people that played through it... sometimes (but not too often) the characters would suddenly jump to the next position almost like it skipped animations to get there. I'm very new to PC gaming so I just wanted to know if those slight graphic glitches were in the game or if I have something set up wrong on my PC?
It didn't even really bother me too much but I haven't noticed anything like that in any other games though so that is why I'm curious about it.

Ledsen

I just finished playing through The Book of Unwritten Tales. What a game. Absolutely fantastic.

A quick question for people that played through it... sometimes (but not too often) the characters would suddenly jump to the next position almost like it skipped animations to get there. I'm very new to PC gaming so I just wanted to know if those slight graphic glitches were in the game or if I have something set up wrong on my PC?
It didn't even really bother me too much but I haven't noticed anything like that in any other games though so that is why I'm curious about it.

Do you mean if they, for example, walk towards a lever, stand beside and then suddenly their hands are grasping it without actually having moved there? I didn't notice any of that stuff, but it happens in basically every game ever to some degree. It's all up to the animation blending skills of the animator who made that particular animation, it has nothing to do with your PC.

Do you mean if they, for example, walk towards a lever, stand beside and then suddenly their hands are grasping it without actually having moved there? I didn't notice any of that stuff, but it happens in basically every game ever to some degree. It's all up to the animation blending skills of the animator who made that particular animation, it has nothing to do with your PC.

Yeah, stuff like that. Sometimes the character would be talking and then suddenly have skipped a few steps and already walked halfway to the other side of the screen. It wasn't too distracting and didn't really happen that often. I'm just glad to know it isn't my computer.
Thanks!

Doomshine

I feel bad for not checking out Cognition earlier, I've started episode 2 now and it's been fantastic so far.

Bought the season upgrade though so I've somewhat repented for my sins.

TripleSun

I feel bad for not checking out Cognition earlier, I've started episode 2 now and it's been fantastic so far.

Ugh, seriously same here. Just beat episode 2 and I'm on like a crack withdraw since I'm busy with other games. Cognition episode 2 just furthered my attachment to the characters and the gut-wrenching story. <3

Happened to me a bit on switching characters, but I forgot to run the gog patch so it may have been fixed. I enjoyed it a lot as well, fun & logical puzzles, and the critter section was genius. The only disappointing thing about Book of Unwritten Tales was the ending.

Felt like they'd ran out of time or money or something.

I enjoyed it a lot as well, fun & logical puzzles, and the critter section was genius.

I think it's a bit on the easy side, difficulty-wise, since there are no red herrings and you solve most of the puzzles (which are indeed pretty logical) with objects you find not too far away from the puzzle itself. But the game is lengthy and has a good pace: you rarely go around with nothing to do.
It's probably a bit too derivative and it relies too much on references to other popular games or movies/books for humor, but some sections are pretty fun by themselves (like the two people playing that "MMORPG" in the capital).
It doesn't spin the classic formula for PnC games, but it follows it almost flawlessly and the final result is a very good game. Not an ounce of originality, though.

The only disappointing thing about Book of Unwritten Tales was the ending.

Felt like they'd ran out of time or money or something.
All the movies sequences inside the game are pretty bad, but the ending is extremely disappointing, both in delivery and in its technical aspects.

BluWacky

I didn't realise episode 3 was out! Best get that error corrected...

Boerseun

Banned
What's the verdict on this game-
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/inherit_the_earth

Wouldn't mind getting it for $6.

Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb is one of my top fifteen (maybe top ten) favourite point and click adventure games of all time. The following is maybe just my interpretation, but I believe the template for the three main characters were Kirk, Spock and Bones, and if you've played the great Interplay Star Trek adventures (25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites), or seen the original Star Trek TV show, you'll notice how the interplay between these main characters are oddly recognisable (or at least appear to be - to me :) ).

Also, there was meant to be a sequel, but the mess surrounding New World Computing's demise likely killed it; although I do believe that the rights reverted back to the original creator(s).

Bunch of games (adventure and otherwise) on sale at GOG. If you've never played Normality consider giving it a whirl for $2.99.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/normality

Yes, this game was awesome! But unlike Dreamweb, Mean Streets, or the classic Sierra and LucasArts adventures, I can't imagine it to have aged well; owing to its use of a Doom-era first-person engine that will likely look really crude today. If you don't mind the graphics though, and I don't, you'll find a great game underneath.

inm8num2

I've heard/read so many mixed things about The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav. I'm intrigued that the sequel Memoria is coming out this fall, though.

Has anybody here played Chains of Satinav? What'd you think?

nny

I finally got my Doug TenNapel Sketchbook archives; it came with a Neverhood postcard and inside has a drawing of Klaymen:

DSC08584_zps647e08cf.jpg

Lovely.

Lime

Ugh the dialogue and voice acting in Gray Matter is unbearable. I can't continue playing this game, unfortunately.

Fjordson

Just a reminder for point & click GAF that GOG's summer sale is going on right now. Some real classic adventure games on sale for 3-4 bucks, as well as some more current stuff.

Turnstyle

Any news on the next Wadjet Eye game? I've finished all the Blackwells (love the series), Primordia, Resonance, and Gemini Rue. Not played Shivah though - anyone have any opinions on it?

Also, when can we expect the next Dream Machine episode? It's been a while since episode 3.

I've picked up a few classics from GOG, so at least they'll keep me busy for a while (just got Normality!).

Fjordson

I know Dave Gilbert is hard at work on Blackwell Epiphany. From the screens he's put out, it looks pretty neat.

As for just publishing, I'm not sure. Definitely excited for whatever they do publish next after loving Gemini Rue, Resonance and Primordia.

Edit: screens from the aforementioned new Blackwell game

BluWacky

Any news on the next Wadjet Eye game? I've finished all the Blackwells (love the series), Primordia, Resonance, and Gemini Rue. Not played Shivah though - anyone have any opinions on it?

The Shivah's pre-oh, wait, you've finished it in the time it took to read the start of this sentence.

It's worth the $2 or so asking price for some well written dialogue, but the end is a little frustrating from what I remember and it only lasts about half an hour at most.

Jack Keane 2 The Fire Within page launched on Steam, release date is set for June 28th.

ss_ca25abc8e7612b4cd6639374a84021f4c28c5e56.1024x768.jpg

Jack Keane 2 - The Fire Within is set to revolutionise the classic point & click adventure genre. Never has an adventure been as cinematic, fast-paced and humorous, without breaking any of the iconic point & click gameplay rules.

Game has WASD controls OR you can play traditional point & click style.

Anyone tried Reperfection?

It's part of the IndieGameStand promo, $10 or Pay What You Want.
https://indiegamestand.com/

REPERFECTION is a new indie adventure series in the style of an interactive Art Noir graphic novel. It consists of several episodes, each of it is self-contained. You unlock new panels and pages of the game by solving different puzzles. By doing so you influence the events in the past and change the future reality, discovering more and more about the exciting storyline. The comic is kept in black and white using color as focus on important objects.

Completed Lesiure Suit Larry today (haven't had much else to do since I'm so ill I can barely walk around). Pretty fun. Its 80's roots definitely show in a number of irritating puzzles, but it's a well made remake(backgrounds & music are superb, and the narrator voice cracks me up), so I'm happy with the first of the big KS p&c renaissance games. Hopefully Tex is even better!

So what year did the King's Quest series start in? 1983 or 1984?

PCJR release was '83, general release was '84.

Hmm yeah that's what wikipedia says, but which one is considered the 'definate' first game.

The PCJR release. IBM asked Sierra to make a game to showcase its power. The PCJR flopped hard though, Sierra only really made any money once the Tandy came out in '84

Top Bottom