• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
after i'm done with the last of us, i think i'm gonna cleanse my palette with Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis which i've been meaning to play for ages.

nny

From the Wadjet Eye Newsletter:

The fifth episode of the Blackwell series - entitled The Blackwell Epiphany - is still well underway, despite our new charge. 80% of the art is complete and we are starting to get the character portraits drawn up. I hesitate to make an official release date, but we're still aiming for late Fall.

Sulik2

I have been replaying The Longest Journey and man I am struggling with it. I used to love adventure games, but I have not played one in a long time. I forgot how glacial the pacing could be. Game still tells a great story but I think my tastes may have moved past adventure games.

I am thinking I may give Grey Matters a go to try a modern game. Is that game as good I heard it was?

Terra_Ex

The fifth episode of the Blackwell series - entitled The Blackwell Epiphany - is still well underway, despite our new charge. 80% of the art is complete and we are starting to get the character portraits drawn up. I hesitate to make an official release date, but we're still aiming for late Fall.

Fantastic news, been waiting far too long for this.

Well I finally beat Secret Files 3 after like 7 hours and all in all one of my favorite PnC /series/ but obviously the weakest of the three. Way too easy, locations were small and I'm sick of CERN crutches in games, but still, I do anything for Max & Nina. :p

Well, can't wait for Face Noir to pop up to play, just waiting it out now~

Comes out in a few days actually. English demo here.

Ignore if information known.

Lime

I have been replaying The Longest Journey and man I am struggling with it. I used to love adventure games, but I have not played one in a long time. I forgot how glacial the pacing could be. Game still tells a great story but I think my tastes may have moved past adventure games.

I am thinking I may give Grey Matters a go to try a modern game. Is that game as good I heard it was?

Unfortunately no. Gray matter suffers from inconsistently bad voice acting, subpar animation quality, and awkward humour. I was personally quite disappointed with it.

No, that's not the problem. The problem is that the The Longest Journey is comically overstuffed with trivial dialogue. I played through a ton of adventure games in my day but I could never finish TLJ. The visuals, art direction and plot are all great but man... that dialogue is literally too much.

epmode

No, that's not the problem. The problem is that the The Longest Journey is comically overstuffed with trivial dialogue. I played through a ton of adventure games in my day but I could never finish TLJ. The visuals, art direction and plot are all great but man... that dialogue is literally too much.

This isn't a very common view but I absolutely agree. It's a big reason I prefer Dreamfall. Also, Dreamfall doesn't have that goddamned inflatable duck puzzle.

TripleSun

This isn't a very common view but I absolutely agree. It's a big reason I prefer Dreamfall. Also, Dreamfall doesn't have that goddamned inflatable duck puzzle.

People think I'm awfully crazy when I say I enjoyed Dreamfall more, but I just found it more overall enjoyable from my standpoint. (I also honestly didn't mind the cave sneaking part, like many others did)

Comes out in a few days actually. English demo here.

Ignore if information known.

Yeah, known but I'm a sucker for noir games, like I'm sure we all are. Going to be interesting peek my head in.

km3k

Neo Member
need to go back to this, have they released the linux version? i bought the full game.

The game is built on flash, so if you bought it through their website, you can play it there on Linux if you have flash installed. If you bought it on Steam, it only supports Windows and Mac, but you could probably run Steam in Wine to get the files and then run them with the Linux flash player manually.

Tizoc

Say who here remembers the Wild Wild West adventure game?
I played this a looooooooooong time ago as a kid, and it had some tricky puzzles.

TripleSun

Still Life series on Steam worth picking up ? Or any other similar P&C on sale as recommendation .

I recommend them. I didn't play Post Mortem, but I very much liked Still Life 1. The sequel is a big drop for me in enjoyment, but surely I would recommend it as a series to play!

Also, unrelated to the quote reply - I see POStudios has two Indie bundles going on until Sunday!

First is the Noir Bundle for $24.99 which includes Face Noir, The Cat Lady, Reperfection episode 1, Shadows on the Vatican episode 1, and Vampires. Going to pick this up, because for the price of just $5 more, I get Reperfection & Shadows on the Vatican, which I'm excited to try out~

Also, second bundle is the Thriller one. It's only $9.99 and basically the same as the Noir bundle, except you don't get Face Noir and they replace it with Cognition episode 1. I picked up Cognition 1 & 2 off a indie bundle and it quickly became an amazing series for me!

So check those two bundles out!

tensuke

Has anybody played the Submachine games? (Searched and couldn't find any posts from previous PnC threads)

In the same vein as Myst, you are kind of dropped into a situation and have to find your way out, finding clues to what's going on along the way. So far, there's 8 main series games, 3 side-story games, and a special "game" with various locations you can travel to giving you more information on the universe. The quality of story, gameplay, and graphics go up with each game (it had a rough start :p), and as of the last game I'd say it's one of the most fun PnC games I've played (I really like Myst). It has a really great atmosphere of loneliness. I even kept a notebook for a couple of games, but they're not really that long so it's not a huge time investment. Still, I think they get longer with each game because of the more advanced gameplay/story.

It's made in Flash, and you can check them all out at the website, here. A good order to play them would probably be 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, FLF, 6, 32 Chambers, 7, 8, and intersperse NEE whenever you find new locations. There's also a nifty wiki for other help, and various walkthroughs around the net if you get stuck with anything. The 9th game is supposed to come out later this year, and the 10th (and final) game will probably come out sometime next year.

km3k

Neo Member
Has anybody played the Submachine games? (Searched and couldn't find any posts from previous PnC threads)

I played the first two a number of years ago. I enjoyed them but got distracted by other games at the time. I didn't realize there were so many now! I think there were only 6 of the main story games when I tried them. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to go back and play some more.

Yanksfan

I need to seriously start attacking some of my adventure backlog. I've got a list of games I am considering, any thoughts on what I should choose?

- 999 (DS)
- Broken Sword: Director's Cut (DS)
- Blackwell Legacy (PC)
- Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (PC)
- Gemini Rue (PC)
- Hector: Episode 1 (PC)
- Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis (PC)
- Puzzle Agent (PC)
- Syberia (PC)
- The Whispered World (PC)

inm8num2

I need to seriously start attacking some of my adventure backlog. I've got a list of games I am considering, any thoughts on what I should choose?

- 999 (DS)
- Blackwell Legacy (PC)
- Gemini Rue (PC)
- Puzzle Agent (PC)
- Syberia (PC)

I'd go in this order:

- Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis
- Broken Sword: Director's Cut
- Blackwell Legacy
- Gemini Rue
- Syberia
- Dreamfall (if played TLJ first).

epmode

inm8num2

An endorsement from John Walker, however so slight, is like that from the world's harshest food critic.

I'm glad he liked what he saw of Moebius, and I'm not surprised he's into The Raven.

Great times, guys. Adventure games are as alive as they ever were. I think.

Pistolero

What a fantatstic thread! Say, fellow gaffers, could you suggest a point and click game with good graphics and a horror theme? I could do without the eye candy, but I couldn't forgoe the terror and thrills!
Thanks in advance!

epmode

I can't think of many horror adventure games that can hang with the best in the genre, nor anything with good production values that isn't a first person game so my recommendations aren't exactly what you're looking for:

Scratches actually looks pretty nice for a low budget game and it can be legit creepy at times. The puzzles are a little obtuse though.

Sanitarium is another good one but you may be turned off by the shitty voice acting and the occasional miserable puzzle.

The freeware adventure series from Yahtzee is a lot better than I was expecting:

I'm also hearing good things about The Cat Lady.

inm8num2

As stated, Scratches and Sanitarium are must-plays. So is The Cat Lady (one of the best adventures of the past few years in my opinion).

The Black Mirror trilogy is worth a playthrough. It's more of a gothic horror.

If you can find copies, Amber: Journeys Beyond and Barrow Hill are great first person horrors.

If you like supernatural horror, try The Lost Crown or Dark Fall: Lost Souls ($3.24 on Steam right now).

Keep an eye out for Asylum later this year.

tensuke

- 999 (DS)
- Blackwell Legacy (PC)
- Gemini Rue (PC)
- Puzzle Agent (PC)
- Syberia (PC)

Indiana was always a favorite of mine, so I'd have to list that first. Dreamfall and Blackwell are both great, 999 is really awesome too (lots of endings to it as well). If you do play 999, make sure to check out Virtue's Last Reward (the sequel) if you can, it's on 3DS/Vita IIRC. Haven't played Broken Sword but I have heard of it, let me know if it's any good! Oh, and Puzzle Agent was a good bit of fun, too.

- 999 (DS)
- Blackwell Legacy (PC)
- Gemini Rue (PC)
- Puzzle Agent (PC)
- Syberia (PC)

Your backlog contains the greatest p&c game ever. So....that one.

Indiana was always a favorite of mine

We named the dog Indiana.

wouwie

Is The Raven available for consoles on 23 july too? I assume it's digital only for consoles? I'm interested in it. I hope there is some sort of demo.

Doomshine

Yeah, I'm definitely interested after reading that. I'm really surprised that voice acting and writing stand out considering that German adventure games are usually bad in that respect.

The same (occasionally finicky) author was also happy about Moebius but I think someone mentioned that earlier.

Isn't it by the same people who did Book of Unwritten Tales? That game had decent voice acting.

Is The Raven available for consoles on 23 july too? I assume it's digital only for consoles? I'm interested in it. I hope there is some sort of demo.

It's coming out on consoles? I didn't know that, sweet.

Yanksfan

Indiana it is. Based off of the few comments received on that already, I am hoping it will come close to Monkey Island (my favorite).

The Raven game looks pretty cool, I have to say. Definitely will be keeping an eye out for impressions from you guys once it launches next week.

TripleSun

Very excited for The Raven. I think it's cute they even made a small little app on Apple markets to get people more excited for it. :p

Make sure to pre-order it so you get the digital collectors edition for free!

Yeah XBLA and PSN for consoles, heard there would be a season pass/single episode purchase for the game, trying to get clarification on prices and release date for consoles.

nrjLJTm.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
you guys like blackwell over gemini rue?

excited to start indiana jones & the fate of atlantis this week, but the raven on xbla might skip ahead of it in line.

RetroMG

I do. Gemini Rue is a nice game but I feel it's vastly overrated when people call it the best Wadjet Eye game or even the best point and click of the last few years.

I agree with this statement. Gemini Rue is good, but I think Primordia or any of the Blackwell games are better.

Steam Summer Sale 2013

Game Bundles

75% OFF
Daedalic Bundle

Includes:
A New Beginning Final Cut
Chaos on Deponia
Deponia
Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav

60% OFF
Blackwell Bundle

Includes:
Blackwell Convergence
Blackwell Deception
Blackwell Unbound
The Blackwell Legacy

50% OFF
The Longest Journey/Dreamfall Bundle

Includes:
The Longest Journey
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

50% OFF
Bone: Complete Bundle

Includes:
Bone: Out from Boneville
Bone: The Great Cow Race

Will Add more to the post

Steam Summer Sale 2013

Will split the posts into stand alone games here and bundles in another post.

GAMES

90% OFF
Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Special Edition Double Pack

75% OFF
Post Mortem

Still Life

Still Life 2

Scratches Director's Cut

Syberia

Syberia 2

Machinarium

Botanicula

Ankh 3: Battle of the Gods

Jack Keane

Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World

A Stroke of Fate: Operation Valkyrie

Dead Mountaineer's Hotel

Clupa Innata

Ankh 2: Heart of Osiris

Dark Fall: Lost Souls

Big Brain Wolf

Trauma

Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes

Botanicula

Samorost2

Machinarium

Deponia

Chaos on Deponia

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav

66% OFF
The Book of Unwritten Tales: Critter Chronicles

A New Beginning - Final Cut

65% OFF
Gemini Rue

Resonance

63% OFF
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

60% OFF
Blackwell Unbound

Blackwell Convergence

50% OFF
Aura: Fate of the Ages

The Dream Machine (Chapter 1 and 2)

Puzzle Agent

Axel & Pixel

Memento Mori

Secret Files Tunguska

Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis

Secret Files 3

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Jolly Rover

Hamlet or the Last Game without MMORPG Features, Shaders and Product Placement.

40% OFF
Primordia

33% OFF
The Dig

Loom

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Night of the Rabbit

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge

25% OFF
Kentucky Route Zero (Season Pass)

15% OFF
Jack Keane 2 The Fire Within

That's all for the moment, have plenty more to type but thought I would get started, will add more soon.

epmode

you guys like blackwell over gemini rue?

Definitely. While Gemini Rue has the wonderful Blade Runner thing going on, Blackwell is much better as an adventure game series. It might be my favorite adventure thing in the last decade or so*. If you do wind up playing them, it bears mentioning that you're basically watching the Wadjet Eye guy learn how to make good adventure games. Each game is a big improvement over the previous one.

*My other favorites are Machinarium and the Ben and Dan games.

RPGCrazied

How much will episodes be for The Raven? I just found out about the game, and played the little flash prologue. Looks pretty great. If only 3 episodes, I'm guessing per episode might be a tad more than $4.99?

I have exactly $5 in my wallet, love to spend that on episode 1.

epmode

The entire game will go for $25 so I'd guess that each episode will be $10.

(There's currently a 20% off sale so you can get the entire thing for $20)

Top Bottom