• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black and White Version 2 Japanese |OT| A New Masuda Method

The exclusives kinda suck IMO

I skipped out on B/W (probably a bad idea) but I'mma definitely pick this up
You'll probably want to get B/W first, just to let the new improvements soak in before B2/W2. So much great stuff that came with that game.

Gen 3 has my favorite music, I'll give you that. Gen 5's still the best overall.

upandaway

MkDuS.png

Much like achievements, players of Pokémon Black and White 2 can unlock special medals by completing certain conditions such as winning battles and catching Pokémon. You can display your favourite on your Trainer Card for the whole world to see!
This has the potential to make my life disappear.

Zekes!

You'll probably want to get B/W first, just to let the new improvements soak in before B2/W2. So much great stuff that came with that game.

Gen 3 has my favorite music, I'll give you that. Gen 5's still the best overall.

I kind of wanna pick up B/W now (well, I always have, I just never got around to it...) but I get burned out on Pokemon easily (hence why I skipped B/W) so I'm a little hesitant.

Gregorn

Here comes another 200+ hours of pressing A.

I've got about 500 different Pokemon on White, so once they're transferred I might finally catch them all in this one.

Theorymon

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere else, but apparently this site has some parts of a translated Iwata asks for this game http://pokejungle.net/2012/06/19/iwata-asks-pokmon-black-white-2-pt5-6/

Anyways, besides all the new exciting stuff like move tutors and whatever the hell replaces Battle Frontier, I REALLY hope the new Kyurem formes don't totally fail in Ubers like Kyurem did. Well, Kyurem itself wasn't terrible in Ubers, but it was basicly outclassed by the other viable special attacking Dragons in Ubers like Palkia, Dialga, Rayquaza, and Reshiram :(. There is hope though, according to some rough base stat estimates via some new screens, White Kyurem may have a Special Attack stat as high as 163-170, which COULD redeem it. Black Kyurem has the same for Attack, but imo as long as Black Kyurem gets Icicle Crash (or even Ice Punch as lame as that is), it should be fine in Ubers because Icicle Crash freaking smashes through big Uber walls like Groudon, Lugia, and Giratina!

Any news on what the 3DS enhanced features are?
There aren't any--there's no such thing as a 3DS-enhanced DS game. If anything, that's likely referring to the 3DS's AR Searcher companion app for this game, which is necessary to unlock the new forms of Thundurus, Tornadus, and Landorus.

Hieberrr

There aren't any--there's no such thing as a 3DS-enhanced DS game. If anything, that's likely referring to the 3DS's AR Searcher companion app for this game, which is necessary to unlock the new forms of Thundurus, Tornadus, and Landorus.

Huh, I guess I completely read it wrong then. I could have sworn that there was supposed to be some type of enhanced features for this game. Oh well... thanks for clarifying this :)

On a side note, should I pick up a DS Lite or a 3DS? I gave away my DS Lite, so I'll have to rebuy the machine for $60. Or, should I get the 3DS (even though the library is pretty lackluster right now)?

Huh, I guess I completely read it wrong then. I could have sworn that there was supposed to be some type of enhanced features for this game. Oh well... thanks for clarifying this :)

On a side note, should I pick up a DS Lite or a 3DS? I gave away my DS Lite, so I'll have to rebuy the machine for $60. Or, should I get the 3DS (even though the library is pretty lackluster right now)?

A 3DS is an investment for the future at this point. These games pretty much signal the death of the DS.

I'd disagree that 3DS has a lackluster lineup, too, but there are numerous different threads to help you with that one.

Wiseblade

"Japanese OT"? Doesn't this mean the thread's only going to have a lifespan of a few months?

I'm not going to import, but it's always fun to hear from those who do.

Someone's whipped up a non-scan version of the new Unova Map.

1340177828120.png

Guess this confirms that you can access Eastern Unova before the Elite 4, if nothing else.

I'm here for the delicious spoilers, feed me more!

*ahem* so those early game pokemon are an interesting selection, will likely get Black 2 so lets go Magmortar.

Will get both versions, as usual.

Will main White 2 for delicious Electivire.

Someone's whipped up a non-scan version of the new Unova Map.

1340177828120.png

Guess this confirms that you can access Eastern Unova before the Elite 4, if nothing else.

*whistles* That map is hella sexy.

9yjlw.png

The first game's map looks quite barren in comparison.

Heropon

I actually had a Lvl 1. Dunsparce waiting to be traded over, but I'll catch one fresh! Dunsparce is one of my faves and this brings back memories of time spent smashing rocks in the dark caves of Gold and Silver, before the first Gym.

I remember when I was trying to get the most pokémon in gold, and I hadn't nothing to know how to get the pokémon. I had like 240, and when I could use an internet connection to discover how I could get the others I discovered Dunsparce existence. So much nostalgia.

I'm here for the delicious spoilers, feed me more!

There are people who have the games.

It's simply a case of playing the waiting game.

I wonder what the location marker off the shore, on the boat route, is. Some kind of event while you're on the ship?

Is that the boat route? Seems to go to Driftveil rather than Virbank.

I'm guessing it's that underwater tunnel that they had in the first screenshots.

The waiting game it is, I'll be as patient as a Wobbuffet then.
I actually had forgotten that the jpn version was this close to a release, so really this is a pleasant surprise.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The exclusives kinda suck IMO

I skipped out on B/W (probably a bad idea) but I'm definitely pick this up

Well, that's all we know at the moment...considering the Regional Dex is, like, 300 now, I imagine there'll be quite a few more.

Ooh. Going to go check out the Iwata Asks translations right now.

That's a cool map. Much more non-linear than the original, and I like having to take more obtuse routes around the map to get the Pokemon League. Plenty of new areas, even in the previously-explored parts of Unova.

Gruco

Banned
I'd honestly be a little sad if hundreds of tiny achievements replace the few major achievement approach to the trainer card. Completing the dex, hitting your numbers in the battle tower are such huge things. Hopefully there is still a handful of ~5 major accomplishments in addition to the minor ones.

Also hopefully HG/SS menus

Reading the translated Iwata Asks, it seems like Takao Unno was the right choice for director. Guy's pretty damn passionate about making this game.

Cool new features being revealed right now.

Watch Da Birdie

Disappointed that all the returning Gym Leaders have the same order, bar Drayden being shifted down one.

And I hate how they're going with the 3 Pokemon Max rule Black and White had for the Gym Leaders, as we know from trailers Shizui only uses three.

smothpocket

Neo Member
I'm really looking forward to getting something different out of these games than the usual core games in the series. Being the first time they've done an actual sequel, will the additions and features we've seen in the new games be enough to warrant the purchase of a new game for those who bought the original black/white and have already completed or nearly completed their pokedex?

One of the main reasons I play these games is for the collecting and trading. I'm going to buy the game anyway, I just hope I'll get as much out of this one as I usually do with only a few new pokemon.

There are a lot of new WiFi and multiplayer functions this time around, in particular, so there'll great chances to trade, get new Pokemon, and exchange items around with your pals. This game's about abusing the communication features of the DS, to their maximum.

smothpocket

Neo Member
There are a lot of new WiFi and multiplayer functions this time around, in particular, so there'll great chances to trade, get new Pokemon, and exchange items around with your pals. This game's about abusing the communication features of the DS, to their maximum.

Some sort of co-op play would be amazing though I doubt they'll add that.

I'm pretty excited about the dream radar. If they do it right this could be an awesome way to catch pokemon. I hope they do something like the SpecTrek app for android where you have to physically find the location of the pokemon and then confront it and capture it.

Watch Da Birdie

I hope Black City and White Forest are Wi-Fi now...they sucked in Black and White if you don't have any local players.

Unno: Yes. It was then that we thought that we would be able to bring decent expansiveness to the in-game world if we use ‘movies’ since they offer a kind of unlimitedness.

Iwata: What do you mean by “unlimitedness”?

Unno: For example, A Space Fantasy that previously would have been unthinkable in Unova…

Iwata: Huh? A space fantasy with Pokémon? *laughs*

Unno: Or perhaps something like romance…

Iwata: Huuuh? Romance in Pokémon!? *laughs*

Unno: Yes. *laughs*
lolnice

I love these roundtables so much.

backlot

Level 100 wifi battles please!

Top Bottom