• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

upandaway

DS games are not region locked(usually), 3ds games are.
DSi-enhanced games are region locked, but then I remembered someone here saying that Pokemon is not locked between the English systems and only on certain systems and I wanted to check out the details. But everyone here keeps saying different things so I guess we just don't know the full deal.

Artemisia

Banned
Nothing really grabs me to play this when it's released

I guess I can wait to play it later. Maybe when I have a long stretch of free time (summer).

Whoa I haven't realized these will already come out so soon! I guess it's time that I finish playing White and get on the White 2 hype-train :D I don't even know why I'm pretty hyped for White 2 to be honest but I somehow am.

I played alll Pokemon games religiously and even always bought both versions as a kid, heck I also loved Colosseum and XD but once Soul Silver and Heart Gold were released suddenly the games failed to catch me. And with catch me I mean that I never was able to put a Pokémon game down before I finished the story. Pearl started to get a bit of a chore for me and while Soul Silver hit all the nostalgia spots yet I barely made it to the second arena :/

Now before anyone says "you probably just got older and grew out of it!" I honestly doubt that as I still play through all my jRPGs (Tales of Graces F, Neptunia, Trinity Universe, Megaman Battle Network and so on) with fun and ease so the only explanation I have myself, it happened because I changed the way I play Pokémon.

Before Pearl I always used the steamroller-approach, in Red and Blue I beat the entire "endgame" with a Raticate and Bodyslam... and this trend went on all the way till Emerald, the only time I used other Pokémon than my main were either the Legendary's or should my main Pokémon have fainted from a lucky hit.

Starting with Pearl however I tried to balance things out and build a versatile team with equal levels because I heard many people say "isn't it kinda lame to steamroll with a single Pokémon?" and I found myself agreeing with that thought, that's why I started to balance and suddenly the games fail to catch me :(

Am I the only one with that problem? (I realize I should probably post that in the community thread and not here...)

But yeah back to Black and White 2, I'm hyped for whatever reason and even though I spend waay too much for games lately, I will try to make it a day one!

Izayoi

Banned
Never played Black/White. Should I play them first or can I go straight to 2?
How much disposable income do you have? This is the only way I'll know how to answer your question properly.

Huh ? How ? Where do you live for Amazon not offering this ?
I'm in Amazon's home state, and I have Prime! It's a mystery.

pokemon sucks peace out medafighters in training
It's okay Takao, I'm sure that one day Medarot will have its day in the spotlight.

lol not really

Sadist

Chet really likes to draw girls with bigger breast than they really have.
But then again, we all love boobies!

But eh... yeah I'll wait a while with this one. Played Black for the first time about half a year ago so I'll get it next year or something. Will be fun though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Already played through the Japanese release. Will buy both Black 2 and White 2 NA releases. Come to me, my precious.

I'm even worse. The first time I haven't steamrolled was in Black/White.

._.

Black and White made it so it was a lot easier to build a balanced team, and a lot more difficult to steamroller. Thanks to the EXP gradient curve, the higher levelled you are the less experience you get. It was a great change, for my money; it's much more satisfying bringing out a new Pokemon every time you beat another trainer's Pokemon and demolishing the team that way.

brinstar

this is my first time being on GAF during a new Pokemon game launch, gonna try to go for a full national dex this time AND I'M GONNA NEED ALL YOUR HELP.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ok, Pokemon avatar get.

My C-Gear is ready

Me too, me too!

Black and White made it so it was a lot easier to build a balanced team, and a lot more difficult to steamroller. Thanks to the EXP gradient curve, the higher levelled you are the less experience you get. It was a great change, for my money; it's much more satisfying bringing out a new Pokemon every time you beat another trainer's Pokemon and demolishing the team that way.

There were so many powerful Pokemon you could pick up in BW that it could be easily steam rolled if you went the Darmanitan and Archeops route. Definitely as easy as the rest of the games for me.. and I love the new experience system.

If people find these games too easy and really want a change in single player, turn your Battle Style from Shift (giving you the option to switch Pokemon after you KO an opponents) to Set, making it more like an actual match where changing Pokemon takes a turn. It'll give you much more of a challenge if you can't stand the ease of the game.

Ragus

Banned

I hope it is also the case in B/W2 :).

zroid

Banned
If people find these games too easy and really want a change in single player, turn your Battle Style from Shift (giving you the option to switch Pokemon after you KO an opponents) to Set, making it more like an actual match where changing Pokemon takes a turn. It'll give you much more of a challenge if you can't stand the ease of the game.

I played Black on Set mode and it was great. Will do again!

Wait a second, I totally forgot about the gradual EXP curve... that explains why I felt balancing in White even more tedious :( I used the totally wrong approach, usually when I catch new Pokémon I would set myself a upper limit for the current story part I am in, lets say level 25. So if I catch a new one and it's level 16 or something I would grind with that Pokémon only till it reached 25 and then do the same with the next. I guess I should level more gradually instead of burst-leveling, thanks for reminding me! :)

Al least the thread got the full retard mode out of the way early. So pumped for this, thanks to everyone who explained stuff about Challenge Mode too, that stuff was unclear to me up until now.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Definitely still the case. There also aren't really any Pokemon that can steamroll the game by themselves like Sawk in Black which is nice.

EDIT: Maybe Heracross.

Darumaka still available in the desert 'pretty early'. Bulky, fast, 2HKOs things that resist Fire with stupid Sheer Force Flare Blitz. <3

7 days to go! Time for everyone to post their prospective teams!

Samurott
Toxicroak
Aggron
Drapion
Arcanine
Idont'tevenknowsomekindofFlying-typeIguess

I'm trying not to use Scrafty since I've used it in three runs already, but he's just so darn awesome that I may revert back to old habits.

Atrarock

Already had a Pokemon avatar since day 1. Rocken that Rival theme and battle music

Never played Black/White. Should I play them first or can I go straight to 2?
For the sake of understanding a good amount of the story between some of the characters that will carry on into this game, probably, but even then you could grab B/W later if you really wanted to.

Oh crikes look what I missed.

Definitely going to try and get this ASAP, though I don't have a job and I'm busy with schoolwork. All I know is that the music in this game is truly awesome and that Go Ichinose and Hitomi Sato need to stay on as chief musicians for the franchise.

Oh crikes look what I missed.

Definitely going to try and get this ASAP, though I don't have a job and I'm busy with schoolwork. All I know is that the music in this game is truly awesome and that Go Ichinose and Hitomi Sato need to stay on as chief musicians for the franchise.

You need to hang around the BW2 thread more. Your presence is sorely missed :(

You need to hang around the BW2 thread more. Your presence is sorely missed :(
I'm busy! Making a short film, writing theses, doing something for Hardcore Gaming 101, trying to stay on the SEMO team, etc.

Oh man oh man am I busy, and I just never have enough time to prepare posts like the ones I used to.

Man, the "difficulty" changing mechanic is so shitty. How can a developer like Gamefreak think that they are implementing it in a well-thought out manner? I would love to play hard-mode, but from my understanding I can only do it if I buy another copy of the game, or erase and restart my original file. Grrr.

Regardless, I'm getting this day 1. Should be awesome

brinstar

Samurott
Toxicroak
Aggron
Drapion
Arcanine

I'm trying not to use Scrafty since I've used it in three runs already, but he's just so darn awesome that I may revert back to old habits.

It's still not clear exactly which of the new Unova Dex guys are available to me before the Elite 4, but I was thinking something like:

Samurott
Magmortar
Ampharos
Whimsicott
Crobat
Krookodile

Zebra

I hope we get word of more preorder/day-one bonuses.
Last time Target had a pretty sweet art book type thing, and Toys r Us had some themed DS accessories. These were great little gifts for the girlfriend.

The coins seem neat but will Gamestop stores carry them as well? I haven't seen an actual EBgames store in years. :lol

Samurott
Toxicroak
Aggron
Drapion
Arcanine

Meloetta (I'll get hold of a legit event one somehow)
Lilligant
Ninetales
Milotic
Ampharos
Sableye/Glaceon (Glaceon will only be if I can get a shiny Eevee)

Up until Elite Four I'll just use whatever I catch, then prior to that I'll start assembling and EV training my main team.

Velcro Fly

I want to use a Kingdra real bad. I always say I want to use Kingdra and I never do. It's been like that since he was first introduced in G/S. This time, I'm catching a Horsea and breeding it to get a few good moves on it and then trading it over to one of the new games when I have the chance.

Thinking about doing a theme run where I use pokemon that debuted in R/B/Y and got new evolutions somewhere along the line.

So far I have:

Kingdra
Magmortar
Scizor

Would require some trading and some breeding and stuff on Black this week but it will be worth it! For Kingdra :3

brinstar

All are available to you before the fourth gym.

List of Pokemon that aren't available until postgame (or require an event), yet are listed in the Unova Dex:

Archen/Archeops
Carnivine
Corphish/Crawdaunt
Croagunk/Toxicroak
Cryogonal
Durant
Eevee (Glaceon)
Eevee (Leafeon)
Genesect
Heatmor
Igglybuff/Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff
Keldeo
Kyurem
Landorus
Lickitung/Lickilicky
Meloetta
Munna/Musharna
Larvitar/Pupitar/Tyranitar
Reshiram
Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking
Stunfisk
Thundurus
Tirtouga/Carracosta
Tornadus
Tropius
Tympole/Palpitoad/Seismitoad
Yanma/Yanmega
Zekrom

Thanks! That seems like an odd choice of Pokemon to bar off to postgame but I'm glad the guys I plan to use will be available to me.

Top Bottom