• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

zroid

Banned
1. How would you do an expansion on the DS?

2. It's a whole new game with a different story and lots of new content. The region is the same and there aren't any new Pokémon, but it's still a new game.

I believe he was being facetious :p

OMG Aero

That seems problematic when you always name the main character after yourself :s
Not if you use a common name, then you can think of it being a series of unlikely coincidences that the Pokemon trainer who saves each region from a team of criminals then goes on to become the champion always has the same name.

Alternatively, think of it like Zelda.

Soul Beat

It is all completely new content, with the only "replacement" being that the game will replace the phrase "that trainer" (or something like that) to the name of your character in BW when people refer to you from the previous game.

Wait, does that mean I'm gonna have to name the new trainer differently than the one in B/W1?

Izayoi

Banned
I'm pumped for this sequel but Gamefreak should really REALLY retire the oldest generation of Pokémon. I'm reallytired of them and their printer voices. It's been 16 years and nobody wants to see another goddamn Zubat, Geodude and Psyduck anymore. I was under impression that Black/White would be a revolution for series and completely abandon old pokémon and go on with brand new pokémon. Okay, If they really want to put old pokémon in the game, they should just put gens 3 and 4. I can't take seeing another drzzzrzzst Zubat anymore.
While I'm no fan of the first two generations of Pokemon designs (in regards to the rest of the series), I disagree.

Maybe it has something to do with me having filled the National Dex, maybe it doesn't, but I think that having so many is definitely part of the charm. I like just having them there, if only so I can use old favorites every now and then.

There's also the metagame to consider, and while it would be far easier to balance, it would take away a lot of the variety.

Wait, does that mean I'm gonna have to name the new trainer differently than the one in B/W1?
Obviously they're Black2 and White2. (Since I went with Black and White the first time around, I'll probably end up doing Kuro and Shiro this time.)

Soul Beat

I've gotten into the habit of naming all trainers the same. But I guess it's time to change that.

Now to think of some new names.

Yes.

You unlock battles with your rivals where they use their team from BW1.

You also unlock things call memory links, which are sort of flashbacks of what happened between BW1 and 2.

Also, they changed that song in Homika's gym (if this hasn't been mentioned).

How does the game know that I bought white? I'm guessing the dreamworld is involved.

@Izayoi.

You're actually supposed to get the numbered version of the one you got. Like if you originally had Black then you're supposed to get Black 2. Same goes for White and White 2. It's got to do with the story in the game.

I'm pumped for this sequel but Gamefreak should really REALLY retire the oldest generation of Pokémon. I'm reallytired of them and their printer voices. It's been 16 years and nobody wants to see another goddamn Zubat, Geodude and Psyduck anymore. I was under impression that Black/White would be a revolution for series and completely abandon old pokémon and go on with brand new pokémon. Okay, If they really want to put old pokémon in the game, they should just put gens 3 and 4. I can't take seeing another drzzzrzzst Zubat anymore.

fuck you I want my Gyarados

MicH

I can't wait for these games! Currently have both versions preordered, but I'm not sure if I'll keep both.

CorvoSol

This is out now? It'll have to wait till I finish my run through of the FF series, but the idea of battling all champions IS enticing.

Qurupeke

@Izayoi.

You're actually supposed to get the numbered version of the one you got. Like if you originally had Black then you're supposed to get Black 2. Same goes for White and White 2. It's got to do with the story in the game.

Zekrom>Reshiram, Black Kyurem>White Kyurem. So...

Izayoi

Banned
You can do whatever tickles your pickle, man. I'm just saying what I know.
So I imagine (correct me if I'm wrong) that:

- Black City/White Forest will be reversed.
- Opelucid City will be reversed.

At the very least? How do they handle WARNING HUGE SPOILERS ABOUT GYM LEADERS AND CHAMPION
Iris and Drayden
in the story? END SPOILER

brinstar

does anyone else find it weird that you can find
Riolu
before the first gym? Won't it just steamroll the entire game?

TheOGB

Banned
That seems problematic when you always name the main character after yourself :s
I thought the same at first, but thinking about it in the vein of "You remind us of another kid named [your name]!" that's not much of a problem.

FAKE EDIT: Or what OMG Aero said
Not if you use a common name, then you can think of it being a series of unlikely coincidences that the Pokemon trainer who saves each region from a team of criminals then goes on to become the champion always has the same name.

Alternatively, think of it like Zelda.

So I imagine (correct me if I'm wrong) that:

- Black City/White Forest will be reversed.
- Opelucid City will be reversed.

At the very least? How do they handle WARNING HUGE SPOILERS ABOUT GYM LEADERS AND CHAMPION
Iris and Drayden
in the story? END SPOILER

Actually, it's more what he said.

White 2 for story consistency (e.g.
N having Reshiram
), and
being able to catch it after beating the game
(BW2 post-game spoiler?).
However, the non-legendary exclusive Pokémon are the same as BW1. Nothing that Wi-Fi trades can't easily fix though.

Does anyone have an overview of the improvements/changes over Black/White? The OP really should be more detailed in that regard. Looking at Serebii, it seems that breeding has been improved and Black City/White Forrest are not almost completely useless this time.

Does anyone have an overview of the improvements/changes over Black/White? The OP really should be more detailed in that regard. Looking at Serebii, it seems that breeding has been improved and Black City/White Forrest are not almost completely useless this time.
Improvements to breeding? Nifty! Anyone know what they are?

And we don't have to connect locally with other players to fill black city/white forest now?

Ah, well I wanted to be sort of overview-ish in that regard, so as not to bog down the casual observer with details they might not care about, like the IV thing.

Nevertheless, I am thinking of adding a more indepth diff. thing later, because there are many tiny new things beyond what is listed, definitely.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Improvements to breeding? Nifty! Anyone know what they are?

And we don't have to connect locally with other players to fill black city/white forest now?

100% chance of passing a nature down with an Everstone. Mother being in the first slot at the breeder means 80% chance of passing down its ability, and likewise, only 20% if the mother is in the second slot (regular 50/50 if you're breeding with a Ditto). And Join Avenue has fast/insta-hatching items now.

100% chance of passing a nature down with an Everstone. Mother being in the first slot at the breeder means 80% chance of passing down its ability, and likewise, only 20% if the mother is in the second slot (regular 50/50 if you're breeding with a Ditto). And Join Avenue has fast/insta-hatching items now.

Damn.

ohlawd

I said wow.

And by nobody you mean just yourself, since I doubt you'll find anyone else who would want to see the entire original generation wiped out. Much less Game Freak, as there is no way they'd want to abandon Pikachu and the ridiculous amount of money they make from selling merchandise of the franchise mascot.

Soul Beat

Oooh, this is nice.

Maybe now I'll get me some decent Pokemon.

backlot

Everstone should have been 100% from the beginning.

IrishNinja

A lot of helpful words

good post! few questions though:

1) i like the world tournament thing letting me fight all the trainers, but did i understand you right? can i catch old pokemons here, like a jigglypuff or only so far back or wha?

2) i like the box guy for black 2 but i dont know if i want that challenge mode since im not very good at this stuff and you're making it sound like this one is harder than the last. am i boned?

Emitan

good post! few questions though:

1) i like the world tournament thing letting me fight all the trainers, but did i understand you right? can i catch old pokemons here, like a jigglypuff or only so far back or wha?

2) i like the box guy for black 2 but i dont know if i want that challenge mode since im not very good at this stuff and you're making it sound like this one is harder than the last. am i boned?
Challenge mode is optional.

Added my import copy's FC to the spreadsheet but I've barely made progress in it. I'll probably beat it after I complete White 2 if anyone wants Japanese Pokémon for shinies or whatever

Top Bottom