• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black Version 2/White Version 2 |OT| Zero Shades of Grey

Ondore

Going mono-Bug for the cheevo: Leavanny, Scolipede, Crustle, Heracross, Volcarona, Galvantula. Might toss Scolipede for Genesect once it hits L50.

Wichu

I skimmed most of the posts, but couldn't find an answer.

If I played White, which version "should" I get? Thanks!

White 2 for story consistency (e.g.
N having Reshiram
), and
being able to catch it after beating the game
(BW2 post-game spoiler?).
However, the non-legendary exclusive Pokémon are the same as BW1. Nothing that Wi-Fi trades can't easily fix though.

Only ones I know I'll use:

Riolu
Elekid
starter - don't know which starter! I did water first time around, might do it again since there are good fire options.

Highwind

No attacking one of the versions at the OP/title? How are we gonna educate people to get Black 2, man.

Anyway, question (if this is in the OP, sorry, I can't find it):

Region lock. If I get the US version, how will this work with DSi and 3DS systems from other regions? Do we know yet?
How did BW work in that area..? It's a bit confusing.

I have seen the game ID. These have the same region code as the english BW1 ("O" region).

I have NA versions of BW, and they work on my dsi and 3ds (UK).

99% sure this is region free.

The 3DS app won't affect whether these games are region free or not. One of the japanese apps work with other region pokemon games.

Does memory link work with games from different regions ala EU White -> NA White 2 ?

Yes. It works with japanese copies of bw2 and international copies of bw1 as international copies have no region code.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yup. It's a pre-order offer. So you'll get asked if you pre-ordered the game there before they'll let you download it. Or at least that's what happened to me when I went to get it.

Not for me. EBgames / Gamestops just have it running at all times, so I just walk in, download and walk out.

zroid

Banned
Yup. It's a pre-order offer. So you'll get asked if you pre-ordered the game there before they'll let you download it. Or at least that's what happened to me when I went to get it.

wait what

It has nothing to do with pre-ordering, you can just stand outside the GameStop and nab it. If it's true that they only turned it on for you after pre-ordering, that store be misbehavin'.

decaf

Could anyone confirm this is region-locked for 3DS? I'm assuming so since it's meant to have DSi features, but I'm not 100% sure.

Also... does anyone reckon I'll be able to do the continuation feature if I buy the European versions despite having the US versions of Black/White?

I have seen the game ID. These have the same region code as the english BW1 ("O" region).

The 3DS app won't affect whether these games are region free or not. One of the japanese apps work with other region pokemon games.

Yes. It works with japanese copies of bw2 and international copies of bw1 as international copies have no region code.
That's great to hear :D
No need to import an NA copy

vbjij.jpg

OMG! *o*

upandaway

Awesome. I can get the EU version cheaper despite having NA hardware so I might go for it.

Highwind

That's great to hear :D
No need to import an NA copy

Yeah, it really is.

According to the screenshots I saw, White 2's ID is TWL-IRDO-USA. I assume Black's ID will be IREO. If this was region locked then it would either have Conquest's ID (I forgot), or E replacing the O.

As my copies of BW work on both my DSi and 3DS from the UK, and they have the same O region code, then it's to be assumed that the same applies here. =^.^= Of course I will be looking around and asking if these games work on other region DS consoles, This might fail but I am confident they will work so don't make any hasty decisions.

Funnily enough, I will be buying an NA copy so my box collection remains slim. EU cases are too big.

Awesome. I can get the EU version cheaper despite having NA hardware so I might go for it.

Play Asia is selling this for a cheaper price. (£25 with shipping). Atleast that's what I saw a few days ago.

Soul Beat

wait what

It has nothing to do with pre-ordering, you can just stand outside the GameStop and nab it. If it's true that they only turned it on for you after pre-ordering, that store be misbehavin'.

Not for me. EBgames / Gamestops just have it running at all times, so I just walk in, download and walk out.
Then I was clearly lied to. How dare they lie to me.

It's all good 'cause I also lied to him about pre-ordering there.

Not sure which game to start with...

Last time, I started with Black because I pre-ordererd the Pokemon Black DSi bundle from GameStop (Needed a DSi, preferred the look of that one) and had intended to play the copy of White I'd pre-ordered from Amazon, but by the time it arrived I was too deep into Black to switch.

This time I have both games pre-ordered and my Pokemon Black DSi and 3DS XL ready to go, but...maybe White 2 because I played Black first?

Also, am I the only one who'd buy first and third gen remakes on DS if they got the HG/SS treatment?

Highwind

Do you unlock stuff for owning BW?

*Hurries to rebeat White*

Yes.

You unlock battles with your rivals where they use their team from BW1.

You also unlock things call memory links, which are sort of flashbacks of what happened between BW1 and 2.

Also, they changed that song in Homika's gym (if this hasn't been mentioned).

ohlawd

Just one week left; I can't believe it.

Next school week has 3 midterms though.... but forget studying. Pokemon is more important :)

That is really cool that it is still for the DS I guess, but it also sucks they didn't start working on a totally new game for the 3DS.

As far as my pokemon'ing goes, I played Red/Blue and Yellow back in teh day. I played a lot of pokemon when it first came out. Then I think I got Gold and didn't like it at all, and that ended my pokemon'ing until Pokemon Platinum came out, and I didn't even buy that game until a year later in 2010. I am still only 3 or 4 badges in on that game and play it basically only when I travel or every once and again in bed.

My gaming time over the years have diminished, and so has my pokemon'ing. I dunno, I may just wait to buy the next version on either the 3DS (which I still need to buy at some point if ever). I don't think I would be able to get to both of these games in all honesty.

gosox333

I got this from Serebii. He didn't go into much detail, but he said on two occasions that they changed the song that gym leader sings.

So they likely changed it to Koffing instead of keeping Dogars.

I hope so. I'll be seriously disappointed if I get there and they just took the lyrics out altogether

K-O-FF-I-N-G?

Obviously D-O-G-A-R-S doesn't make sense any more.

I'm voting that they'll just speed the song up to accommodate for the extra letter. It works when I sound it out in my head, at least..

ohlawd

Guys, help me wrap my head around the memory link stuff.

So it adds new content on top of the existing content or does it replace stuff in vanilla Black/White 2?

18-Volt

I'm pumped for this sequel but Gamefreak should really REALLY retire the oldest generation of Pokémon. I'm reallytired of them and their printer voices. It's been 16 years and nobody wants to see another goddamn Zubat, Geodude and Psyduck anymore. I was under impression that Black/White would be a revolution for series and completely abandon old pokémon and go on with brand new pokémon. Okay, If they really want to put old pokémon in the game, they should just put gens 3 and 4. I can't take seeing another drzzzrzzst Zubat anymore.

So it adds new content on top of the existing content or does it replace stuff in vanilla Black/White 2?
New content here and there - it doesn't replace things, it's like extra story-related stuff, as well as certain bonus items and battles.

alvmew

It is all completely new content, with the only "replacement" being that the game will replace the phrase "that trainer" (or something like that) to the name of your character in BW when people refer to you from the previous game.

ohlawd

New content here and there - it doesn't replace things, it's like extra story-related stuff, as well as certain bonus items and battles.

It is all completely new content, with the only "replacement" being that the game will replace the phrase "that trainer" (or something like that) to the name of your character in BW when people refer to you from the previous game.

I see. So there's no harm in syncing my copy of Black 1 when I start playing Black 2. Thanks for answering guys.

Emitan

That seems problematic when you always name the main character after yourself :s

LeleSocho

Banned
I'm pumped for this sequel but Gamefreak should really REALLY retire the oldest generation of Pokémon. I'm reallytired of them and their printer voices. It's been 16 years and nobody wants to see another goddamn Zubat, Geodude and Psyduck anymore. I was under impression that Black/White would be a revolution for series and completely abandon old pokémon and go on with brand new pokémon. Okay, If they really want to put old pokémon in the game, they should just put gens 3 and 4. I can't take seeing another drzzzrzzst Zubat anymore.
Nope.

Buttons

I'm pumped for this sequel but Gamefreak should really REALLY retire the oldest generation of Pokémon. I'm reallytired of them and their printer voices. It's been 16 years and nobody wants to see another goddamn Zubat, Geodude and Psyduck anymore.
Nope.

I am actually buying the game because I heard you can get Psyduck early on. I love Psyduck. :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

The newer generation of players would most certainly like to see them, I'd think. It's not like the entire audience of Pokémon games consists of hardcore series veterans.

I do kind of agree about the printer voices, though. I can understand the nostalgic value, but the low quality voices really stand out when compared to more recent Pokémon.

why isn't this a 10 dollar expansion again?

1. How would you do an expansion on the DS?

2. It's a whole new game with a different story and lots of new content. The region is the same and there aren't any new Pokémon, but it's still a new game.

Top Bottom