• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

I don't see how people can ditch their starters before they beat the Elite Four. IT WAS YOUR FIRST DAMN POKEMON THE BOND YOU TWO SHARE IS PRICELESS.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Forkball said:
I don't see how people can ditch their starters before they beat the Elite Four. IT WAS YOUR FIRST DAMN POKEMON THE BOND YOU TWO SHARE IS PRICELESS.

grass pokemon are weak as piss.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Crunched said:
The passerby is in your house
OH NO! :O

Looking into breeding, what I gather is that it is better to have traded dittos rather than ones you caught. Is this correct?

Pyrokai

Old Question:

So, let's say I've been reading about IVs and I understand (sorta) what they are, but I still have one question: How do I know my Pokemon's IVs? I just bred a level 1 Cubchoo and I want to know if it has good IVs. How can I tell?

I'm bumping my question because no one has answered and it also relates to my New Question:

I just noticed my new Cubchoo has a quirky nature, which gives it no boost or hindrance to any stat. Good or bad idea?

HiddenWings said:
It's not quite that simple. Physical or special? In-game or competitively? Singles or doubles?

Having said that, I think Smogon has usage data so you can see what people think are the best (and therefore include on their competitive teams). I'm just not sure where it is for the current generation. Firestorm might be able to point you to it...

Will check smogon then

Hate catching things in the day

Dusk Ball > All except Master Ball

Trying to catch Thundurus and Ultra Ball doesn't even shake once(Its paralyzed and has 1 hp-false swipe).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hrm if I want a Tornadus ready in time for the tournament, I'll either have to buy Black and SR until I get what I want, or I could trade with a Black user who has not used it in battle and has it as a Timid nature... Hrm, any takers? I've got a couple spare legends on my SoulSilver, mostly other trios.

Wiseblade

Pyrokai said:
Old Question:

So, let's say I've been reading about IVs and I understand (sorta) what they are, but I still have one question: How do I know my Pokemon's IVs? I just bred a level 1 Cubchoo and I want to know if it has good IVs. How can I tell?

I'm bumping my question because no one has answered and it also relates to my New Question:

I just noticed my new Cubchoo has a quirky nature, which gives it no boost or hindrance to any stat. Good or bad idea?

1) There are two ways to check. You can either use the IV checking man in the Battle Subway, who will give you a cryptic message about roughly how good you Pokémon's IV are and what its best stat is. Or you can use an IV calculator.

2) neutal natures are pretty much always a bad idea. Most Pokémon use either all physical or all special attacks, so either you Attack or Special Attack is going completely unused. it only makes sense to take from the unused stat to boost a more important one.

samoset

I got my Oshawott through the GTS and he had Japanese name. I just noticed that as a Samurott he no longer has a japanese name. Was that lost when he first evolved and would the only way to keep a japanese pokemon name if it was a nickname instead?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
samoset said:
I got my Oshawott through the GTS and he had Japanese name. I just noticed that as a Samurott he no longer has a japanese name. Was that lost when he first evolved and would the only way to keep a japanese pokemon name if it was a nickname instead?

Yes.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
Hrm if I want a Tornadus ready in time for the tournament, I'll either have to buy Black and SR until I get what I want, or I could trade with a Black user who has not used it in battle and has it as a Timid nature... Hrm, any takers? I've got a couple spare legends on my SoulSilver, mostly other trios.
Tornadus resets if I kill it, right? If so I could chase after one with a timid synchronizer for you.

Also, thanks for the heads up on your team. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wiseblade said:
Tornadus resets if I kill it, right? If so I could chase after one with a timid synchronizer for you.

Also, thanks for the heads up on your team. :p

Meh, I'm a huge flying type fan, it shouldn't have been too hard to guess I'd use the only pure flying type in the entire series. @ the question, I dunno.

ALSO THANK YOU SO MUCH <3333

Achtius

Pyrokai said:
Old Question:

To determine IV, go to Nimbasa and you have two options:

FIRST OPTION. Go to the building left of the pokecenter, SAVE, and participate a single battle, it'll temporary make your pokemon level 50. Look at the stats of your pokemon via summary and enter the stats here. http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml , then soft reset to get out of the battle.

SECOND OPTION. Go to battle subway and talk to the judge, he'll tell you which stats have the highest IV. At the end, if it say it can't be better (or something along that line), it means your pokemon have 31 IV for the stats he mentioned.

edit: beaten ;(

Izayoi said:
Yeah. Ball makes this weird wooshing noise, and then you hear it snap shut. Will wiggle once and catch the Pokemon.

It's definitely still not a guaranteed catch, though. I've had a few Critical Catches which have failed.

Morokh

Old Question:

There is an NPC in the game that can tell you if one of your Pokémon IV are Bad - Average - Good, but it doesnt go much further.

The most accurate way I know is using an online calculator. like this one
http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx

Fill with your pokemons stats, use Rare Candy to gain levels and fill for every level, and the more you go on the more accurate the results will be.

Pyrokai said:

Depends on what you plan to do with it.
Cubchoo evolves in Beartic that is more of a Physical type (higher physical Attack Stat) so it would be better to use only physical attacks with it.
In this case, using an Adamant one +Attack/-SpAttack would be better, because you boost your attack and don't really loose anything since you don't really need his SpAttack stat.

Damn already beaten xD

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
FootNinja said:
I am tempted to insult you, for you have taken shots at my favorite type of pokemon. Grass pokemon are great, sir and I will not condone this kind of misinformation.

Yeah it's not like they're bug type.

Pyrokai

Thanks a lot guys. Much appreciated :)

IVs are complicated things. Very hidden. I'm surprised the game even cryptically tells you. Thanks so much for the calculator, too.

Natures are also confusing to me. This is the first gen I've ever paid attention to them so it's all new to me and a lot to take in when paying attention to IVs and EVs as well, so I appreciate your patience, everyone.

Edit: I understand natures, but choosing which one I want is difficult, and the breeding process to get it is tedious.

Salaadin

FootNinja said:
I am tempted to insult you, for you have taken shots at my favorite type of pokemon. Grass pokemon are great, sir and I will not condone this kind of misinformation.

LOL!

Im finally done with DA2 so I can get back to Pokemon tonight. Im excited to get rolling with this again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pyrokai said:
Thanks a lot guys. Much appreciated :)

IVs are complicated things. Very hidden. I'm surprised the game even cryptically tells you. Thanks so much for the calculator, too.

Natures are also confusing to me. This is the first gen I've ever paid attention to them so it's all new to me and a lot to take in when paying attention to IVs and EVs as well, so I appreciate your patience, everyone.

They've actually been opening up more and more about IVs as the games go on, since D/P I think. Platinum = guy who checks IVs, HG/SS = training items guarantee passing down an IV during breeding, and now I even heard they may be a named thing in B/W, but as a different name.

So the past two days I've gone to the musical guy and Opelucid city and he hasn't given me a new item. Isn't he supposed to give you a new item every day you talk to him?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mr. Paer said:
So the past two days I've gone to the musical guy and Opelucid city and he hasn't given me a new item. Isn't he supposed to give you a new item every day you talk to him?

Did you mess with the time for Daylight Savings? That'd be why.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Unova's E4 theme is just kinda weird. I mean, I guess it fits with the
Ghost/Dark/Psychic
users, but it feels like it should have been in Luigi's Mansion or something.

That said, the music for
N's Castle and the final battle with N
are awesome.

FootNinja said:

Forgive him, maybe he has never had his last Pokémon forced to commit suicide by hitting a helmet-wearing Ferrothorn.

Magnus

If I receive, for example, a Squirtle in a trade that was never nicknamed, when it evolves, will it still retain the name Squirtle?

Furthermore, if it was actually nicknamed Squirtle (something else first, then back to Squirte), will it retain that name through evolution?

Bauer91 said:
Agreed, they destroyed me. A 46 level party is not nearly strong enough.

Did it with one 57, and a troupe of level 30-40 meatshields. And a bunch of restores/revives, lol. :)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Magnus said:
If I receive, for example, a Squirtle in a trade that was never nicknamed, when it evolves, will it still retain the name Squirtle?

Furthermore, if it was actually nicknamed Squirtle (something else first, then back to Squirte), will it retain that name through evolution?

If it is not nicknamed, its name will change when it evolves (using whatever the evolved name is in your language.)

If it is nicknamed, it will keep that nickname, regardless of what it is.

Teknoman

FootNinja said:

xpndrn.gif

>:)

Wiseblade

Magnus said:

If the Squirtle was never nicknamed, its name will change when it evolves.

If it was nicknamed "Squirtle", then it's name when it evolves will be "Squirtle".

Pyrokai

Last question for a while, guys, I promise :x

On Bulbapedia (or Serebii or wherever), every Pokemon has a "base stats" section with a minimum and maximum range next to it. My question is this: Are these the stat numbers you can find by viewing the "summary" of a Pokemon? If so, are they the numbers of the Pokemon at a specific level? For example, by looking at Barboach, I notice is has an Attack of 50 and a Defense of 48, which is not in the range of Lvl. 50 or 100 listed right next to it. Where are these numbers pulled from if not the Summary at a specific level?

Hope that makes sense.

D-Pad

IV noob here, trying to see my Pokemon's IVs. I entered all the information in the calculators (yes, plural, I tried Serebii and MetalKid's) but each time, it's telling me that my IVs may range from 0 to 31. Well no shit, Sherlock. Am I not entering enough information? Would someone else like to try for me?

Code:
Scraggy - #559 (Adamant)
Male (&#9794;) brazen
Level 1 stats: 12 / 6 / 6 / 4 / 6 / 6 - no EV's
Hidden Power - Ghost

I entered all of that in and got:
Scraggy - #559 (Adamant)
Male (&#9794;) brazen
HP: 0 - 31
Att: 0 - 31
Def: 0 - 31
SpA: 7, 17, 27
SpD: 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30
Speed: 4 - 27

Fake edit - Do I have to grow him up levels and keep entering information?

Suairyu

Banned
Ugh 7th gym is such a walk-over so far. Why did I even bother rebreeding a new team? Substandard gym for a substandard city.

Wiseblade

MatthewB92 said:
It has to be atlease level 30.
Yeah, if you use Serebii. >.>

For the (superior) Metalkid calculator you can use rare candies to boost you pokemon's level and put the stats in from each level, you should get a pretty accurate result from around level 15. Don't forget to save beforehand though.

Busaiku

So I've encountered Tornadus 4 times (after soft resetting) and every time it's been a Relaxed nature.
Was its nature determined when its event kicked off (I never encountered it before those 4 times), or should I keep trying to get a better nature?

Wiseblade said:
Yeah, if you use Serebii. >.>

For the (superior) Metalkid calculator you can use rare candies to boost you pokemon's level and put the stats in from each level, you should get a pretty accurate result from around level 15. Don't forget to save beforehand though.
Still better to be a higher level. you can also check if your pokemon IV's by looking at the characteristic.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Characteristic

Gravijah

Busaiku said:
So I've encountered Tornadus 4 times (after soft resetting) and every time it's been a Relaxed nature.
Was its nature determined when its event kicked off (I never encountered it before those 4 times), or should I keep trying to get a better nature?

Tornadus is a roamer, you'd have to reset after the very first time you encounter him. Are you doing that?

Wiseblade

Busaiku said:
Its nature is set from the first time you meet it, I think.

In gen Iv, if you fainted a roaming Pokémon it would respawn after battling the Elite 4,and I don't see any reason it would be different now.

Busaiku

Gravijah said:
Tornadus is a roamer, you'd have to reset after the very first time you encounter him. Are you doing that?
Yeah, what I mean is, I encounter him, catch him with the Master Ball, check his nature, get Relaxed, and reset again.
It's been Relaxed every time.

D-Pad

Achtius said:
Go to the building left of the pokecenter in Nimbasa City, SAVE, and participate a single battle, it'll temporary make your pokemon level 50. Look at the stats of your pokemon via summary and enter the stats here: http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml , then soft reset to get out of the battle.

Wow! Thanks! Pretty easy.

IVs: 12, 13 / 4, 5 / 16, 17 / 17 / 14 / 7

Pretty low all around huh? Not that I'm too worried about it. :p I have another adamant scraggy I'll check out too. Thanks again!

Magnus said:
I did it with one Pokemon above level 41, my starter. The rest were a Psychic and Ice type and almost everyone but the starter basically functioned as meat shields if I needed to have him out for a round or two to recover and heal him up. Basically, it's doable with a terrible team and some items. :p

I'm noticing a lot of people are abandoning their starter in their Elite-4 lineups. Why's that? They seem obscenely powerful, have great movesets and have been with you the whole game, so they're probably at a decent level already. My Emboar was a godsend in so many ways all game long.
i always keep my starter on principle

i also try not to evolve it but gave in against lenora

dewott lv 22
roggenrola lv 21
woobat lv 19
pidove lv 19
fire monkey lv 18
herdier lv 18

woobat being good comes as a surprise to me. definitely keeping it long-term, will drop pidove once it evolves

i also like roggenrola.

Suairyu

Banned
So did James (Team Rocket) get a different voice actor or did his voice just organically change over time? He sounds so different this early in the show. As does Ash - he sounds more like an old woman who smoked too much in life than he does by the time of the film.

Gravijah

Suairyu said:
So did James (Team Rocket) get a different voice actor or did his voice just organically change over time? He sounds so different this early in the show. As does Ash - he sounds more like an old woman who smoked too much in life than he does by the time of the film.

All of the original VAs were killed when they moved away from 4Kids. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom