• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaiku

Suairyu said:
So did James (Team Rocket) get a different voice actor or did his voice just organically change over time? He sounds so different this early in the show. As does Ash - he sounds more like an old woman who smoked too much in life than he does by the time of the film.
When Pokemon USA took over after 4Kids, they replaced the entire cast.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Suairyu said:
So did James (Team Rocket) get a different voice actor or did his voice just organically change over time? He sounds so different this early in the show. As does Ash - he sounds more like an old woman who smoked too much in life than he does by the time of the film.

Voice actors switched from 4kids to Pokemon USA starting with the DP arc.

Busaiku said:
When Pokemon USA took over after 4Kids, they replaced the entire cast.

Actually there are a couple holdovers, like Gary (who also took over for Oak) and Giovanni.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gravijah said:
All of the original VAs were killed when they moved away from 4Kids. :(
This is why I tend to watch the Japanese Version when I do, but I do miss the American Team Rocket, the dubbers have always taken some liberty which I enjoyed.

Suairyu

Banned
Gravijah said:
I'm watching the original series. I'm only familiar with the 4Kids work. But James and Ash sound very different early on. Ash simply sounds like the same voice actor doing things differently (Homer Simpson is a good example of this) whereas James sounds completely different.

Suairyu said:
Somewhere around the season for AA, they changed all the VAs. It was a Big Deal at the time.

Balb

Busaiku said:
Yeah, what I mean is, I encounter him, catch him with the Master Ball, check his nature, get Relaxed, and reset again.
It's been Relaxed every time.

Roaming pokemon have their natures set as soon as you create your file. at least that's how it was in r/s

Teknoman

Trade List

I need help evolving my Boldore, but i'd also like to do some normal trades too. I'll take anything, but I really need a Maractus or Sawk.

I've got extras of:

Solosis male
Karrablast female (2)
Joltik female
Throh male
Tynamo male (2)
Litwick male (2)
Elgyem male (2)
Yamask male

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
Wasn't it with the end of the Battle Frontier Emerald stuff?

Dunno, I didn't pay attention to the Gen 3 stuff.

PounchEnvy said:
Jesse has the same VA though right? It sounds like it.

No, she was replaced.

The new anime would be 1000% better with Seto Kaiba as Brock and James again.

Roto13

Asking again. :p Does anyone have a Chicorita or any member of its line to trade? I have every other starter from the series and can breed you one for it. Or if there's something else you want, I'll see what I can do.

Suairyu

Banned
You guys I'm talking about the original series

: (

James sounds like a completely different person in the earlier episodes compared to around the time of the first movie.

Suairyu said:

James sounds like a completely different person in the earlier episodes compared to around the time of the first movie.
Ah. Well, James was voiced by a different guy (Ted Lewis) for the first few episodes, then he was switched to Eric Stuart.

Gravijah

Suairyu said:

Bulbapedia says he has a different VA for the first 8ish episodes.

W1SSY

I really wish the GTS would not show all the ridiculous trades. Why would I ever want to trade a legendary for axew? Is it possible to see more people wanting to trade because I only pull up seven when I search for a trade and would like to be able to look at more if it is possible.

Morokh

Pyrokai said:
Last question for a while, guys, I promise :x

On Bulbapedia (or Serebii or wherever), every Pokemon has a "base stats" section with a minimum and maximum range next to it. My question is this: Are these the stat numbers you can find by viewing the "summary" of a Pokemon? If so, are they the numbers of the Pokemon at a specific level? For example, by looking at Barboach, I notice is has an Attack of 50 and a Defense of 48, which is not in the range of Lvl. 50 or 100 listed right next to it. Where are these numbers pulled from if not the Summary at a specific level?

Hope that makes sense.

Base stat is a 'hidden' value in the game that defines the power of pokemon stats between them.

It doesn't directly reflect the value you'll see in the summary, but is directly related.

I'ts like putting every pokemon stats on the same 1 to 100 scale to make comparison easier. (except they are not on a 1-100 scale)

That doesn't seem really clear for an explanation but others may be able to help more ^^ I feel kind of limited with my english on this :p

r4z4

:( Just realised that in GTS you can only seek Pokemon you've seen in game.

A long shot but does anyone have an Eevee they are willing to trade so I can use it for breeding?

Suairyu

Banned
ColtraineGF said:
Ah. Well, James was voiced by a different guy (Ted Lewis) for the first few episodes, then he was switched to Eric Stuart.
Gravijah said:
Bulbapedia says he has a different VA for the first 8ish episodes.
Aha! Gotcha.

And I guess whoever voices Ash did a Homer Simpson and let the voice settle into something more comfortable. Brock also sounds a little off, but not by much. Probably just a part of the VA process as you find your character.

Roto13

r4z4 said:
:( Just realised that in GTS you can only seek Pokemon you've seen in game.

A long shot but does anyone have an Eevee they are willing to trade so I can use it for breeding?
Is it ok if it's male?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You can buy Life Orbs in the Battle Subway? Oh happy day!

Any way to get more than one Leftovers per game, though?

Suairyu

Banned
Omg omg Water Flower Of Cerulean City. The first Pokémon episode I ever watched, no joke. I'll finish this off for a nostalgia soak then get back to the game.

Roto13

Suairyu said:
Omg omg Water Flower Of Cerulean City. The first Pokémon episode I ever watched, no joke. I'll finish this off for a nostalgia soak then get back to the game.
We're watching at pretty much the same rate, it seems. :p I started watching this morning and now I'm on episode 8.

Achtius

Suairyu said:

Misty! Best companion ever.

Suairyu

Banned
Roto13 said:
We're watching at pretty much the same rate, it seems. :p I started watching this morning and now I'm on episode 8.
Started this morning myself! I'm wondering at what point I'll switch from the original series to Black and White.

edit - goddamn I haven't watched this episode since that first time way back when, over ten years ago, and I can still remember most of the dialogue.

Achtius said:
And, thanks to the song on the Pokémon album, a true unrequited love!

What was up with that album, anyway? Only two of the songs actually appeared in the series.

Meier

Holy shit this thread moves fast. I asked I have no clue how many pages back and since search blows couldn't find my post. If I'm playing on the DSi, will I encounter any problems due to Game Sync, etc. when I try and upgrade to a 3DS?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Meier said:
Holy shit this thread moves fast. I asked I have no clue how many pages back and since search blows couldn't find my post. If I'm playing on the DSi, will I encounter any problems due to Game Sync, etc. when I try and upgrade to a 3DS?

Hrm... probably not, I want to say that will only change your friend code.

Wiseblade

Andrex said:
You can buy Life Orbs in the Battle Subway? Oh happy day!

Any way to get more than one Leftovers per game, though?
1% chance of getting leftovers through pickup. :(

Meier said:
if you transfer your online settings, you should be fine.

Roto13

r4z4 said:
Sure, I can breed it with a Ditto (which I have been told can be found in B/W) and get Eevee eggs right?
Yeah. I'm number 53 on the friend code list. I can trade now, if you're free.

Zane

Achtius said:

I like how they spent years building up some romantic interest between her and Ash (second movie was laying that shit on thick) and then never brought it to its logical conclusion.

r4z4

Roto13 said:
Yeah. I'm number 53 on the friend code list. I can trade now, if you're free.

OK, I've just added myself, number 113. What would you like in return? I dont really have anything amazing =/

Achtius

SquirrelNuckle said:
Oh man. Ferroseed with Rocky Helm is not even fair.

Much more unfair if it is against a fire-type with fire blitz and life orb :p

Zane said:
I like how they spent years building up some romantic interest between her and Ash and then never brought it to its logical conclusion.

What worst is they replaced her with May and Max.....

Roto13

r4z4 said:
OK, I've just added myself, number 113. What would you like in return? I dont really have anything amazing =/
Yeah, unless you're willing to give up a White-exclusive legendary for a stupid Eevee, you probably don't have anything for me. :p But that's ok. I'll add you and go online in a second.

Pyrokai

Gravijah said:

If you mean the VERY early episodes, they are the same voice actors as the later ones under 4Kinds Entertainment before the Big Switch (when EVERYONE got new VAs). They just hadn't "perfected" their characters' voices so to speak. I think even Jessie and Misty had slightly "off" voices, too, but yeah, James and Ash were the most obvious. Brock was basically always the same :p

D-Pad

SquirrelNuckle said:
Oh man. Ferroseed with Rocky Helm is not even fair.
In the elite 4, one of my tactics (which only worked a couple of times because they are some cheap motherfucks) was to use toxic and leech seed, and then switch out (or the pokemon would faint :\) and switch over to my rough skin Pokemon wearing a rocky helm. At the end of one turn, the opposing Pokemon would be hurt by poison, sapped by leech seed, hurt by rough skin, and hurt by the rocky helm. :D All that on top of what ever I hit them with before. I only wish they'd use take down or something to top it off with some recoil damage.

The best thing about rocky helm, rough skin, etc, is that shits that like to double slap like no tomorrow get hurt after each successful contact. Top it with rocky helm and bye bye Minncino!

I am quite happy with the current state of the voice acting. James still sounds like an imitation of himself at his best, but Jessie, Meowth and Ash sound fine now. Jessie is almost indistinguishable from the change.

As with the originals, these new actors are really "settling" into their roles.

I still miss the classic Team Rocket motto, though. The newer ones just don't work for me. Especially with Meowth in the middle of it ruining the back-and-forth Jessie/James flow.

Wiseblade

Guide to ditto farming:

1) Catch a lvl 2 Patrat and give it a smoke ball.

2) Take a strong, high level Pokémon and teach it false swipe, preferably with some sort of status move.

3) Walk in the tall grass in the inner forest area of the Giant Chasm with patrat in the lead and run away from any non-Ditto encounters.

4) When you run into a Ditto, attack it once with the patrat so the ditto transforms into it.

5) Switch to your False Swipe pokemon and knock Ditto down to 1HP.

6) Throw a Poké ball.

Congratualtions, you now have a Ditto!

Suairyu

Banned
Zane said:
I like how they spent years building up some romantic interest between her and Ash (second movie was laying that shit on thick) and then never brought it to its logical conclusion.
They're 10, though. So like, it shouldn't happen.

r4z4

Roto13 said:
Yeah, unless you're willing to give up a White-exclusive legendary for a stupid Eevee, you probably don't have anything for me. :p But that's ok. I'll add you and go online in a second.

THANKS! Time to get that Ditto!

Wiseblade said:
Guide to ditto farming:

Congratualtions, you now have a Ditto!

Perfect timing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom