• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Black/White |OT2| International Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So is there a disadvantage regarding evolving Pokemon through stones besides not learning some moves? Will it fuck up my stats in the long term?

btkadams

Gravijah said:
No, other than not gaining EVs. But you can give them EVs whenever you want anyway. Unless they're already capped.
wait so can you just give a pokemon as many vitamins as it can take and it will have max EVs? i thought all the hardcores were doing some weird battle techniques or something to get EVs. or does it just sound hardcore because they breed over and over until they get their favourite nature?

maxxpower

Regulus Tera said:
So is there a disadvantage regarding evolving Pokemon through stones besides not learning some moves? Will it fuck up my stats in the long term?

Not that I know of, it's just like any other evolution. The sooner you evolve your Pokemon the better I think.

Zzoram

If you plan on giving a Pokemon all TM/HM moves, you should evolve it at lvl1 for best results correct?

Evolve stones seem rare. Are they just random drops in White Forest? Also, where do I buy specialized Pokeballs? I remember seeing them early in the game but ever since I can only find the normal ones offered at the Pokemon Center.

btkadams

Zzoram said:
If you plan on giving a Pokemon all TM/HM moves, you should evolve it at lvl1 for best results correct?

Evolve stones seem rare. Are they just random drops in White Forest? Also, where do I buy specialized Pokeballs? I remember seeing them early in the game but ever since I can only find the normal ones offered at the Pokemon Center.
hey are you available to try the trade for your throh again?

Izayoi

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
You don't learn any moves after a stone evolution except in a few special situations (like with the Eevee line and some Sun Stone evolutions).

Make sure you look up the Pokemon you want to evolve at pokemondb or something first.

btkadams said:
wait so can you just give a pokemon as many vitamins as it can take and it will have max EVs? i thought all the hardcores were doing some weird battle techniques or something to get EVs. or does it just sound hardcore because they breed over and over until they get their favourite nature?
If you want to know more about EVs:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values

As for that specific question, a Pokémon can take a certain Vitamin until the stat it raises has over 100 EVs.

Example: My Charmander has 98 EVs in Attack. I give it Protein. It now has 108 EVs in Attack. I can't give it any more Protein, since the stat is over 100.

There is a cap of 255 EVs for a single stat, and 510 EVs in total for all stats.

Example: My Charmander now has 252 Attack EVs and 252 Speed EVs. I can't give it any more Protein (Attack) or Carbos (Speed). I can, however, have it battle a few more opponents to gain more EVs in these stats (or others), until they all total 510. In this case, I can gain 6 more.

The same restriction doesn't hold for the Wing items, though this may be because they give 1 EV each, instead of the 10 that Vitamins give.

btkadams

ColtraineGF said:
If you want to know more about EVs:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_values

As for that specific question, a Pokémon can take a certain Vitamin until the stat it raises has over 100 EVs.

Example: My Charmander has 98 EVs in Attack. I give it Protein. It now has 108 EVs in Attack. I can't give it any more Protein, since the stat has over 100.

There is a cap of 255 EVs for a single stat, and 510 EVs in total for all stats.

Example: My Charmander now has 252 Attack EVs and 252 Speed EVs. I can't give it any more Protein (Attack) or Carbos (Speed). I can, however, have it battle a few more opponents to gain more EVs in these stats, until they total 510. In this case, I can gain 6 more.

The same restriction doesn't hold for the Wing items, though this may be because they give 1 EV each, instead of the 10 that Vitamins give.
oh so the vitamins can only raise them so much? then you need to do the battling stuff? interesting.

btkadams said:
oh so the vitamins can only raise them so much? then you need to do the battling stuff? interesting.
Yep, pretty much.

Which is why, if you want to train a Pokemon to either
1. accentuate it's strengths
2. cover it's weaknesses
3. train it for a specific fighting style
you'll need to look up which Pokemon you can fight, so as to gain the proper EVs.

Fortunately, people do this sort of stuff all the time, so it's a matter of using resources such as this one, which shows good training spots in BW.

There are other factors you can use to make training easier, like special status conditions (Pokérus), or items that increase EV yield (Macho Brace), or add on extra EVs in a particular stat no matter who you fight (Power items) : http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/EV-enhancing_item

this thread moves insanely fast. just thought I'd point that out. the exact opposite of how I play pokemon. sitting here at 80+ hrs with only 3 badges is horrid. whats worse is i have nothing to show for it (the game apparently continues to count time even though you have the lid closed)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Anyone have a spare Dusk Stone? The only place I can get if from right now is Mistralton Cave, and I need fucking Flash to navigate that shit. :/

Izayoi

Banned
Ravidrath said:
Did you get your Panpour, Izayoi? 'Cause I've still got a ton of them from breeding.
I did, finally. On my way out after giving up, no less.

razgriz417 said:
Hey Izayoi, I'm online now if you still need to Tirtouga
That would be super excellent. I've got a Sawk, Escavalier, Accelgor, Maractus, Drillbur, Lilligant, Audino, Pansage, and Pansear if any of those are appealing to you.

Headed to the wi-fi room now.

Izayoi said:
I did, finally. On my way out after giving up, no less.

That would be super excellent. I've got a Sawk, Escavalier, Accelgor, Maractus, Drillbur, Lilligant, Audino, Pansage, and Pansear if any of those are appealing to you.

Headed to the wi-fi room now.
I'm in the wifi room now. My FC is # 58 on the google doc. And as for the trade, doesn't matter I've already got them

Edit:
FC: 3181 5433 4444

Gravijah

Man, I wish there was an easier way to sort through the GTS. It's hard to get Pokemon from countries like Haiti because you have to slowly go through every single Pokemon until you find the one Pokemon that someone has up.

Of course they end up wanting a level 9 Zekrom for it.

Gravijah said:
Man, I wish there was an easier way to sort through the GTS. It's hard to get Pokemon from countries like Haiti because you have to slowly go through every single Pokemon until you find the one Pokemon that someone has up.

Of course they end up wanting a level 9 Zekrom for it.

Seriously, I just wish you could sort by continent and refresh searches. I'm sure I'll never see results from some of these countries because its buried behind Japanese and US results

Roto13 said:
Holy crap, I put a level 30 Zoroark on the GTS for a Thundurus and it worked. I bet whoever traded didn't realize Zoroark isn't a legendary. If I had a soul, I would probably feel guilty.
EXP Share does give the holder EVs, though. (Doesn't it?)
I got 3 legendaries for axew's :p people will trade for simple things they are to lazy to get.

Izayoi

Banned
razgriz417 said:
I'm in the wifi room now. My FC is # 58 on the google doc. And as for the trade, doesn't matter I've already got them

Edit:
FC: 3181 5433 4444
Thanks so much! Now I've got everyone except Tornadus, Landorus, and Reshiram.

Zomba13

So just been looking online. Can you really not have partner pokemon? Did they really work on those hundreds of sprites and they aren't going to use them again?

Also after having plenty of time with the game I like it a lot more then D/P/Pt and a bit more then R/S/E but not as much as HG/SS. HG/SS had so much going for it, remake of my favourite Pokémon game, partner pokemon, best menu interface, that pokemon Olympics mini-game stuff. I know it sounds odd but it's a shame they don't reuse more stuff. Like, they reuse plenty from game to game but always seem to leave out things that would be awesome.
Still, loving loads of the new Poké designs and the game so far (only 4 badges in but lots of time levelling Pokémon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom